Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

They just don't make them like they used to.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
They just don't make them like they used to.
on: March 27, 2015, 01:16:34 AM
I personally believe the tools and sheaths we know and love have been declining in quality while increasing in price. Its sad to see, but it really makes you appreciate the older, more finally tuned tools and the sheaths that they ride in.

A huge thank you to SteveC for the generosity of giving me this sheath free of charge and getting the OG Wave into rotation.  :salute:

From the first day wearing it the quality of the sheath seems outstanding and I am hoping it will last for years to come.

It fits the tool very snug and does not have much extra room in the flap area. This is one thing that drives me bonkers about sheaths now a days. Huge excess in the flap and very wide. (Sounded dirty). It not only causes the tool to be able to move, but makes wearing a sheath under a shirt look like you are trying to smuggle something under their. With this sheath it is not to bad.

And the money shot. The OG Wave by its comfy new sheath. Now its time to break her in!

I'm the milk man!

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: They just don't make them like they used to.
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:06 AM
Those sheaths are very good quality leather.  With use, they develop a fantastic character.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:26:52 AM
I personally believe the tools and sheaths we know and love have been declining in quality while increasing in price. Its sad to see, but it really makes you appreciate the older, more finally tuned tools and the sheaths that they ride in.

A huge thank you to SteveC for the generosity of giving me this sheath free of charge and getting the OG Wave into rotation.  :salute:

From the first day wearing it the quality of the sheath seems outstanding and I am hoping it will last for years to come.

It fits the tool very snug and does not have much extra room in the flap area. This is one thing that drives me bonkers about sheaths now a days. Huge excess in the flap and very wide. (Sounded dirty). It not only causes the tool to be able to move, but makes wearing a sheath under a shirt look like you are trying to smuggle something under their. With this sheath it is not to bad.

And the money shot. The OG Wave by its comfy new sheath. Now its time to break her in!

nice leather sheath

us Offline twbranch

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 03:00:59 AM
I have sheath that has some holes in it that is just like that one but black or used to hell! How old are these?

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 03:30:06 AM
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Sazabi hooked me up with one of the leather sheaths for my Schrade Tough, and honestly I think that thing is right up there with roaches and twinkies surviving the nuclear fallout. Not only super thick super tough leather, but its sewn, THEN riveted together.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

Offline Carthas

Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 03:32:50 AM
I have found that the newer sheaths tend to wear better than these particular older ones. I have 2 of those sheaths, one a replacement for the other. On the first one, the snap broke, on the second, the top stitching on the belt loop came undone. I find that the elastic wears down on the newer ones, but at a slower rate. The sheath for my charge tti has just started to wear out and it has been going strong since 2006 and it gets used almost daily. Those older ones lasted maybe 2 or 3 years.

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:53:50 AM
What other leatherman tools can be used with sheath?

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 01:44:57 PM
Looks great with your OG Wave   :tu:

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 02:51:11 PM
I have that exact same sheath that came with my OG Wave. The Wave got replaced by Leatherman with a G2 Wave which came without a sheath, so I decided to repurpose the original sheath for use with the G2.
A few applications of Neatsfoot oil, and leaving the G2 Wave in the sheath overnight (it was initially a tight fit) resulted in a sheath/tool fit like no other: the Wave now slides in perfectly, with absolutely no play.
The Neatsfoot oil did make the sheath darker, but it still has lots of character. Impossible to stop a little green growth around the snap every few months though :(
photo.JPG
* photo.JPG (Filesize: 262.23 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 03:03:52 PM
Those OG LM sheaths looks really nice.  I've not gotten lucky yet but I suspect the MT Gods will shine down upon me eventually.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 05:48:46 PM
They do sell these on Leathermans website. If you order just the sheath you are going to be paying tax and shipping thought.
I'm the milk man!

nz Offline babola

• No Life Club
  • The Tinkerer
Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 07:38:58 PM
It's true, the new leather sheaths just don't cut it anymore.

Here's mine that came with the G1 Wave, thick and exceptionally well made, even the edges were rounded, burnished and sealed. After years of carrying and handling it developed beautiful leather finish. The vintage patina'd copper snap button just adds the icing on the cake.

EDC and OCD. A wicked mix.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 07:41:45 PM
It's true, the new leather sheaths just don't cut it anymore.

Here's mine that came with the G1 Wave, thick and exceptionally well made, even the edges were rounded, burnished and sealed. After years of carrying and handling it developed beautiful leather finish. The vintage patina'd copper snap button just adds the icing on the cake.

(Image removed from quote.)

That is a beauty of a sheath!
I'm the milk man!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 09:12:46 PM
I've been carrying the same Leather Sheath for 16 years.  Just a cheap basket weave that picked up at a swap meet.  I really have never liked carrying a "branded" sheath on my belt.
The snap is off center, so I didn't expect much for quality.  I've touched it up a few times with shoe polish and leather cleaner conditioner.  It's looking like it's gonna outlast me.  Here's some pics with its current and former occupants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 09:43:39 PM
Wow. 16 years is a solid run for a sheath and it seems like it has plenty of life left in it.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 10:02:13 PM
What other leatherman tools can be used with sheath?

I've put a Rebar and a Kick in that sheath.  Not at the same time obviously.  :whistle:

REALLY like this brown sheath for the original Wave, very well made and slim-line. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 10:24:04 PM

Wow. 16 years is a solid run for a sheath and it seems like it has plenty of life left in it.  :tu:
Yeah, it's pretty amazing.  I actually carried a Buck folder in it for a year before the Wave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline leathermon

us Offline leathermon

Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 10:33:33 PM
Sorry, last post was to include the price of 9.99

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69