Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

127 Hours Blade.

us Offline English333

127 Hours Blade.
on: March 28, 2015, 06:37:44 AM
If you were caught in a similar predicament what blade would you want to...well you know. No limits - fixed, multi, folder, hatchet. What would you choose and why?

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: 127 Hours Blade.
Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 08:13:51 AM
A chainsaw and a leather mask...
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 08:14:54 AM
If you were caught in a similar predicament what blade would you want to...well you know. No limits - fixed, multi, folder, hatchet. What would you choose and why?

Lol, reading your question actually sent shivers down my spine! I guess it's because not only is it a true story but a similar situation could happen to anyone of us be it today, tomorrow, next year or even in the next hour.

To be caught in a situation where your only chance of staying alive is by having to amputate one of your own limbs is just horrific. But I guess we'd all do it or die trying.

What would I pick to get the bloody job done and over with??  :think:.....of the top of my head I'm thinking along the lines of LM's serrated blades, probably the wave. All major blades OHO, first serrated then bone wood saw :ahhh

Wait... How about the Vic XXLT...you could then cauterise the blood flow!  :pok:
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:57:54 AM
I would think there are few people who could actually 'do' the deed ?
most people in that situation would keep putting off the 'job', hoping for a miracle, until they were to weak to amputate anything.
it's purely hypothetical (hopefully  :whistle:) but I think if you could do it you could do it with any blade ? something that struck me when I read Mr Ralstons book was that the tool he described was ~
A) a cheep multitool from a "gas station" (given to him by his mother I believe?)
&
B) he had been digging at a large rock with the blade !!!  :twak: so it wasn't 'shaving sharp'  ::)

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 12:12:01 PM

Gurkha Kukri  and a shield.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 12:15:34 PM
I honestly think I'd rather have a machete.  I could probably resign myself to amputation a limb if I could lop it off quickly rather than carve away at it.

But then that situation is much more unlikely for me as someone always knows where I'm going and it shouldn't be too hard to find me.  If I was in a situation like that I'm sure for me it would more likely be a matter of surviving until someone finds me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 12:19:11 PM
A chainsaw and a leather mask...

You not live in Texas .  :rofl:

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 02:19:26 PM
Satellite phone with batteries and gps.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 29, 2015, 01:14:45 PM
Good question , I'm just reading the book at the moment.
I've usually got a a 108mm sak a craftsman or a swisschamp and if Id got my backpack in that situation id have a silkie pocket boy so I think I'd have a good selection of amputation  tools on me.
Weasel

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 01:21:03 PM
A meat cleaver ,quick and clean,  :tu:

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2015, 02:31:09 PM

:facepalm:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 02:47:58 PM
From Wikipedia, he used a cheap MT.

Ralston prepared to amputate his trapped right arm at a point on the mid-forearm, in order to escape. He experimented with tourniquets and made some exploratory superficial cuts to his forearm in the first few days. On the fourth day he realized that in order to free his arm he would have to cut through the bones in it, but the tools he had available were insufficient to do so.

When he ran out of food and water on the fifth day, he was forced to drink his own urine. He carved his name, date of birth and presumed date of death into the sandstone canyon wall, and videotaped his last goodbyes to his family. He did not expect to survive the night. After waking at dawn the following day (Thursday, May 1) he had an epiphany that he could break his radius and ulna bones using torque against his trapped arm. He did so, then performed the amputation, which took about one hour with his multi-tool, which included a dull two-inch knife. He never named the manufacturer of the tool he used, other than to say it was not a Leatherman but "what you'd get if you bought a $15 flashlight and got a free multi use tool".[7]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 03:56:21 PM
Yikes  :o

I cannot even imagine the scenario.  I believe I could amputate someones arm or leg in this type situation by my own  :ahhh.  I cannot even begin to imagine. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 04:58:52 PM
Yikes  :o

I cannot even imagine the scenario.  I believe I could amputate someones arm or leg in this type situation by my own  :ahhh.  I cannot even begin to imagine.
You can do it. :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 05:06:05 PM
Hmm lets see.. machete with hollow handle containing morphine.  :D  And Im going to assume I have a belt to use for a tourniquet.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Obi1shinobee

Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 05:14:21 PM
Hmm lets see.. machete with hollow handle containing morphine.  :D  And Im going to assume I have a belt to use for a tourniquet.

Bring this then you won't have any trouble
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 158.36 KB)

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 05:01:16 AM
Flight school has beat it into my brain:  file a flight plan.  Let someone know that you are going somewhere, roughly where, and how long you anticipate being out.  Going with someone adds a layer of safety.

Carrying a PLB or some form of communications equipment isn't unwise; I don't stray too far from cell coverage without my dual band portable.

I saw the movie a couple years ago, and IIRC they depicted him using a standard red-handled SAK which he dulled or damaged by trying to chip away at the rock.

If I absolutely had to amputate a human arm with one of my tools, I think I would choose my Wave.  No doubt though, I would probably have died in that canyon.
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 09:38:05 AM

:facepalm:

:D

in all seriously if it was in a bushcraft situation i would have my kukri,plus a folding saw,if while mtb'ing it would be a mt,probably my spirit,could i do it,i guess i could,i snapped my ankle while mtb'ing 14 years ago,i had no phone so had to hobble using my bike as a crutch for 3miles untill i found someone too help,ok not like hacking a arm off but it was a bad break,after watching 127 hours my wife makes me leave a note as too where ive gone  :D

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: March 31, 2015, 11:12:36 AM
 :worthless:
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  ::) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:13:55 AM by Taxi Dad »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00