Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tell me about Microtech Knives.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Tell me about Microtech Knives.
on: March 30, 2015, 05:10:18 PM
I did some searching here for some basic info from MTO brethren as well from outside sources.  I'm not talking about the OTF autos I was more thinking their folders. 

I saw a Microtech Socom Elite ( mini ) older version with the cool but PITA 3 hole hardware they used.  I also saw the "special" tool needed for any adjustments online ( not sure if its aval anymore ).  The model I saw had 154cm blade steel and the Aluminum frame with a frame lock and titanium or steel thing that engaged the pivot. 

First off I really dont get the price as new  :think:.  I've seen semi customs go for similar price.  I talked with the guy briefly but he only knew little about the knife.  He did know an approximate value but was asking $50.  It was missing the pocket clip but in otherwise good shape.  I think I could get him down another $10 possibly but any thoughts on the brand and model. 

I tried to find a pic but since it's an older version my googlefoo is weak.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Tell me about Microtech Knives.
Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:26:55 PM
This one?

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 07:10:07 PM
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 09:33:34 PM
I started collecting MT's in 1994.

The Mini-Socoms are the 4th,5th and 6th knives on the right counting from the bottom.

Fifty dollars is a good price,even for a manuel w/o the pocket clip.
Microtech 2-1.jpg
* Microtech 2-1.jpg (Filesize: 267.01 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 09:39:36 PM
Are they still in business?

I used to buy/sell/collect Microtechs until I wised up. The earlier ones were of quality but they got greedy and started cranking them out in mass quantity with major QC issues. Their OTF's were notorious for jumping off track while either opening or closing. The price tags were insane and like Leatherman, they used some nasty proprietary hardware holding them together.

A tip: If you want a quality switchblade OTF/lockpick, buy one made in Italy.
SAW

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 09:43:40 PM
One of my constant companions is this UMS,which is the more modern version of the older L.U.D.T.

The MT ,in the lower picture,is a Lightfoot LCC-D/A and was the knife I carried for 10 years.
DSCN1894-1.jpg
* DSCN1894-1.jpg (Filesize: 176.1 KB)
DSCN1931-1.jpg
* DSCN1931-1.jpg (Filesize: 60.02 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 09:48:10 PM
Are they still in business?

I used to buy/sell/collect Microtechs until I wised up. The earlier ones were of quality but they got greedy and started cranking them out in mass quantity with major QC issues. Their OTF's were notorious for jumping off track while either opening or closing. The price tags were insane and like Leatherman, they used some nasty proprietary hardware holding them together.

A tip: If you want a quality switchblade OTF/lockpick, buy one made in Italy.

Yes they're still in business.I've heard of some QC issues although I've never experienced any myself.I have an Ultratech from 2003 and I've not had any issues with that.I also own a Scarab from 2006 and no issues with that either.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 12:46:21 AM
Thanks for weighing in guys  :tu:.  I also thought the price he was asking was fair as well considering the blade steel and other materials used.  I'll see him in a week and see if he'll go a bit lower to offset the clip. 

Thats a whole heck of a lot of Microtechs Toolguy.  The proprietary hardware is neat but not very practical for maintenance.  I did see there was a tool for the hardware but it was $25 and two would be needed.

Not totally set on this blade but maybe I can flip this knife.  I also have a guy who I buy from with a Paramilitary 2 that I'll take a look at in a few days. 

Again thanks for weighing in.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:29:40 AM
There are three proprietary tools for assembling/disassembling M/T's.

They are not cheap but necessary if you collect M/T's of that era.
DSCN2055.JPG
* DSCN2055.JPG (Filesize: 187.05 KB)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 04:15:27 PM
Yup those are the tools I saw.  I always like the interesting whether it be knives or MTs or whatever so the hardware appealed to me when I saw the knife.  I heard about M/T but was really only familiar with their OTF knives.

I'd like to see what the guy really wants for the knife and if he's willing to let me haggle it down a bit.  I'll report back when I talk to him.  Thank you again for the info, its great to learn something and especially to see such a terrific collection.   :salute: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 06:44:53 AM
I had an early Lightfoot. It was a well made knife and a rather good one. But it got donated to a good caause along with a lot of other gear a number of years ago. I hope who ever recieved it put it to good use.     :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD