Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blade on New Wave Sticks

Offline Wright88

• New User
Blade on New Wave Sticks
on: April 01, 2015, 03:35:05 PM
Hello all! I've owned several Leatherman over the years and used this forum's information many times, but this is my first post. I recently sent in my original wave to Leatherman, and received a new model (date code 0814) within a week - amazing service.

However, the main blade seems to have issues. The serrated blade deploys smoothly and easily. The plain edge blade, however, is not smooth or easy to deploy. At first, it was just difficult to open, until it got to the point where I could not deploy the knife with one hand, it seemed "stuck." Using two hands, I pulled it out, and it seemed there was grit or something within the pivot rings. The really strange thing is that after trying to smooth out the action by repeated use, it alternates between being gritty but usable, to being stuck/very tight to the point of being undeployable with one hand.

So, I guess first, is there anything I can do to fix this? I'm hesitant to add oil if it already feels like there's grit in the joint (oil attracts more grit). Second, is it likely it came like this new? Or could I have received a refurbished wave that wasn't repaired correctly? (I know this is probably unlikely, given the very recent date stamp). And third, should I just send it back to Leatherman for them to fix?

Thanks!
Dan

PS - yes, that is a black clip on my stainless Wave :) I prefer dark pocket clips, they attract less attention and look better in my opinion.
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 172.6 KB)

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Blade on New Wave Sticks
Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 03:45:11 PM
Welcome to the forums     :tu:

If it was me I would try to clean out the pivot with some WD-40 and see if that works. If that doesn't do it I would send it back.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 03:49:25 PM
Sounds like the pivot screw is tightening when you open the blade. Do you have loctite or some other threadlocker?

Offline Wright88

• New User
Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 04:09:55 PM
I just added some WD-40 to the pivot screw - this seemed to help at first, but then the deployment became tighter than before.

I also just noticed that when I open the plain edge blade, the pivot screw for the file, on the other side of the tool, rotates. Does this indicate that the pivot is too tight?

And I do not have any loctite to use. Which, I really shouldn't need to use loctite on a properly-working tool, correct?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:00:27 PM
LM use loctite on there pivot screws to keep it from tightening or loosening.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 10:55:03 PM
Welcome to the forums  :salute:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 11:45:01 PM
If you used WD-40 and it made it worse I would call Leatherman and see what they have to say. They will most likely want you to send it in. If this is the replacement for another that you sent in I would personally ask (nicely) for a paid shipping label.
I'm the milk man!

Offline Wright88

• New User
Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 03:44:42 PM
Well, apparently it took several hours of on and off opening/closing for the WD-40 to work it's way inside the pivot joint. The knife blade deploys and closes very smoothly now! I'm really surprised, given that I actuated the pivot for several minutes after adding the WD-40, with no apparent benefitting results. So, I guess the lesson is, if you have a stiff tool on your Leatherman: oil, then give it plenty of action and time.

Thanks everyone!

Dan

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 03:50:20 PM
Sounds like the WD40 worked, so my point may be moot, but I was going to suggest looking at the small piece of steel that prevents the blade from opening when not wanted.
That may be a tad too proud, and have been interfering with the blade action.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 03:56:12 PM
It's seems Leathermans do enjoy a good workout.  I've noticed a trend with hard to deploy tools and its oil and use repeatedly.  Glad yours is sorted out and you can enjoy it. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 04:12:01 PM
I love a happy ending   :multi:

gb Offline pingu

Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 08:02:04 PM
Its great that you are happy.  I'd still go with the early suggestion that the "tightening" was due to the pivot tightening.  If so the lubrication might simply be preventing the pivot tightening (and un-tightening) and if so the problem might recur.

Think about a strip down, clean up and re-assemble with a dab of thread lock on the pivot screw.  Torque up to your ease of opening preference.

Offline Wright88

• New User
Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:23:44 PM
How do i strip it down? I don't have the special torn bits the Leatherman needs.

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 02:59:35 AM
I love a happy ending   :multi:

Steve you being bad boy stop go those Asian massage  :rofl:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 03:19:01 AM by Obi1shinobee »

gb Offline pingu

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 06:59:21 PM
How do i strip it down? I don't have the special torn bits the Leatherman needs.

They're not that special, hard to obtain or expensive. Get a security bit set.  You never know when the kit might prove useful.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 07:00:23 PM by pingu »

gb Offline pingu

Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 10:33:14 PM

Get a security bit set. 

Alternatively T8/T10 security allen keys are readily available since among other things they are required to open PS3s and XBoxes.  Get 2

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%