Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman PST chronology project

J-sews · 1347 · 323642

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Leatherman PST chronology project
Reply #660 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:17 PM
Grandpa PST. :cheers:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #661 on: March 03, 2014, 09:00:22 PM
This one arrived today    :mail:     :)
If you ever stumble upon a spare, please let me know buddy..   ;) :)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #662 on: March 03, 2014, 09:12:47 PM
Nice one David :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #663 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:00 PM
Thank you everyone! I've been after one of these oldies for a while. I pasted on one a couple years ago because it had a name engraved on it.and A dealer won it cheap and when he relisted it it sold for $300+ if I remember correctly. This seller had both pics of the back side. where you couldn't see the etched baled and blank handles except for the Pat#. His BIN price was high enough no one jumped on it. I'm not sure how I came across it as it was not listed as a PST, Tool, or Pocket Survival Tool. It was listed as a Leatherman utility knife. after asking some questions I bought it and hoped they were truthful. They were so now i finally have one.   :)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:29:01 PM by David »
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #664 on: March 03, 2014, 11:12:30 PM
Thank you everyone! I've been after one of these oldies for a while. I pasted on one a couple years ago because it had a name engraved on it.and A dealer won it cheap and when he relisted it it sold for $300+ if I remember correctly. This seller had both pics of the back side. where you couldn't see the etched baled and blank handles except for the Pat#. His BIN price was high enough no one jumped on it. I'm not sure how I came across it as it was not listed as a PST, Tool, or Pocket Survival Tool. It was listed as a Leatherman utility knife. after asking some questions I bought it and hoped they were truthful. They were so now i finally have one.   :)

Congratulations !!!!  :drool:

Some of my best finds have been with listings with odd titles (that reduces the competition).  So these "white whales" are out there, you just have to keep looking (and hoping you find them first   :pok: ).  I'll keep looking ......
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #665 on: March 13, 2014, 03:10:51 AM
Here's the info on my brand new BO PST:

Rivets or knurled screws? Knurled
•   Lanyard attachment? Yes
•   (Old) small diameter or (new) large diameter plier pivot? Small
•   LEATHERMAN alone cast into plier pivot? Or with USA? Or TOOL? LEATHERMAN with USA
•   A hard wire cutter notch? No
•   Handles stamped with what? (see pictures in next post for examples) LEATHERMAN(R) TOOL  US REG TM 1325473  PORTLAND OR
•   Inch ruler only, or inch/metric? inch/metric
•   Date codes? 0893/0993
•   Drop point knife blade or clip point? (saber?) Saber I think
•   Knife blade tang stamped LEATHERMAN alone? Or with USA? Or JAPAN? LEATHERMAN with USA
•   Screwdrivers: pivot-in or pivot-out? pivot-in
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #666 on: March 13, 2014, 03:24:59 AM
Here's the info on my brand new BO PST:  (just like Monrogue's) 

Rivets or knurled screws? Knurled
•   LEATHERMAN alone cast into plier pivot? Or with USA? Or TOOL? LEATHERMAN with USA
•   Handles stamped with what? (see pictures in next post for examples) LEATHERMAN(R) TOOL  US REG TM 1325473  PORTLAND OR
•   Date codes? 0893/NONE
•   Drop point knife blade or clip point? (saber?) Saber I think
•   Knife blade tang stamped LEATHERMAN alone? Or with USA? Or JAPAN? LEATHERMAN with USA
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #667 on: March 13, 2014, 03:39:46 AM
Detron, yours has a handle with no date code?
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

Reply #668 on: March 13, 2014, 03:48:43 AM

yes,  I think it might have been faint and then the BO might have made it fainter or invisible

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #669 on: March 13, 2014, 03:55:01 AM

yes,  I think it might have been faint and then the BO might have made it fainter or invisible

On mine the 0893 date code is more difficult to see than the 0993, but not like yours I'd say.  It's just as possible it's just not dated anyway.  So I'd say this seller's stash is likely made up of these older versions.  That was a pretty sweet deal then as far as I'm concerned :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline David

Reply #670 on: March 13, 2014, 06:19:01 AM
Sounds like both of you got a  8)  BO PST.    :tu:    :)
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #671 on: March 13, 2014, 01:34:30 PM
Sounds like both of you got a  8)  BO PST.    :tu:    :)

Yup :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline detron

Reply #672 on: March 14, 2014, 01:04:38 AM

Rivets or knurled screws? Rivets
•   LEATHERMAN alone cast into plier pivot? Or with USA? Or TOOL? LEATHERMAN alone
•   Handles stamped with what? (see pictures in next post for examples) LEATHERMAN(R) TOOL  US REG'D TM 1325473 Large LEATHERMAN
•   Inch ruler only, or inch/metric? inch Only
•   Date codes? NONE
•   Drop point knife blade or clip point? (saber?) Drop point
•   Knife blade tang stamped LEATHERMAN alone? Or with USA? Or JAPAN? LEATHERMAN alone
[/quote]

I do not think the file was ever used

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #673 on: March 14, 2014, 01:23:00 AM
Nice one Detron :tu:  I like the more jagged/square look to the various edges of the plier head.
K-Tibbs

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #674 on: April 14, 2014, 01:51:46 AM
I won an interesting (very) old PST today, it had the usual old style tools, with the only stamping on the handles being the minimalist  "USA PAT 4238862".

What makes this "4238862-only" PST different (to the other two very similar PSTs I have) is that this one has "Leatherman USA" stamped on only one side of the pliers (and on the opposite side to the 4238862 on the handles to boot)

Has anyone else seen this before ?  Or have I picked up a factory error or something ?

For the photo enthusiasts, have a look at

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371039909116 and click on "See original listing"

And if you want some quiet amusement, check out the bidding by j***t ( 165 )   ::)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #675 on: April 14, 2014, 02:08:02 AM
That's definitely an interesting PST Greg :tu:  Not one I've seen before, but I'm no aficionado either...
K-Tibbs

us Offline hrvstmn31

Reply #676 on: April 14, 2014, 05:31:35 AM
I won an interesting (very) old PST today, it had the usual old style tools, with the only stamping on the handles being the minimalist  "USA PAT 4238862".

What makes this "4238862-only" PST different (to the other two very similar PSTs I have) is that this one has "Leatherman USA" stamped on only one side of the pliers (and on the opposite side to the 4238862 on the handles to boot)

Has anyone else seen this before ?  Or have I picked up a factory error or something ?

And if you want some quiet amusement, check out the bidding by j***t ( 165 )   ::)
He really couldn't decide on a price could he? He obviously wanted it and you still won awesome! :tu:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 05:33:16 AM by hrvstmn31 »

us Offline David

Reply #677 on: April 14, 2014, 06:48:35 AM

Nice score Greg! I was watching that one and would have made a run on it because of the plier head but had a bigger fish to fry. My guess is the plier head was a manufactoring error. They were so behind in orders in those days it proably got run any way. If the seller had of listed it better it would have gone much higher. I git a good laugh out of people who bid like J***t(165).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 07:45:15 AM by David »
Hold Fast

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #678 on: April 14, 2014, 10:13:03 AM
He really couldn't decide on a price could he? He obviously wanted it and you still won awesome! :tu:
S/He was a looong way off winning when they gave up :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:18:57 AM by gregozedobe »

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #679 on: April 14, 2014, 10:17:39 AM
Nice score Greg! I was watching that one and would have made a run on it because of the plier head but had a bigger fish to fry. My guess is the plier head was a manufactoring error. They were so behind in orders in those days it proably got run any way. If the seller had of listed it better it would have gone much higher. I git a good laugh out of people who bid like J***t(165).
Thanks David. The mis-listings are the ones that often go cheaper than they would if they were listed with more relevant info in the title (and I'm perfectly happy with that state of affairs as it reduces the competition and therefore the price I end up paying if I win).

Would the "bigger fish" have been somewhat aged and in a Cabela's leather sheath by any chance ?   :pok:

us Offline David

Reply #680 on: April 14, 2014, 05:52:15 PM
Thanks David. The mis-listings are the ones that often go cheaper than they would if they were listed with more relevant info in the title (and I'm perfectly happy with that state of affairs as it reduces the competition and therefore the price I end up paying if I win).

Would the "bigger fish" have been somewhat aged and in a Cabela's leather sheath by any chance ?   :pok:

Most likely.    :D  It was not list good either. Otherwise I proably would not have won it. Still paid a hefty price. If the PST had of been listed right it would have brought much more. Like you I'm always quite happy with miss listed tools.   :D
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #681 on: April 15, 2014, 04:47:05 AM
Here is my latest PST, thanks to the generosity of a fellow member and friend :salute:

•   Rivets or knurled screws? Knurled
•   Lanyard attachment?  Yes
•   A hard wire cutter notch? Yes
•   Handles stamped with what? (see pictures in next post for examples) LEATHERMAN(R) TOOL  PORTLAND OR
•   Date codes? 0999/1199
•   Drop point knife blade or clip point? (saber?) Not sure, but the normal type one, not the saber blade
•   Screwdrivers: pivot-in or pivot-out? pivot-out

K-Tibbs

us Offline David

Reply #682 on: April 15, 2014, 06:27:14 AM
Good looking PST MR!     :)
Hold Fast

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #683 on: April 15, 2014, 06:50:01 AM
Good looking PST MR!     :)

Thanks David :salute:
K-Tibbs

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #684 on: April 30, 2014, 04:22:12 PM
Just won an oldie on the bay of thieves:

US Pat 4 238 862

"Leatherman Tool" no (R)  "Portland OR"

Drop point blade

Left hand can opener

"Leatherman" only on pliers (no "USA" but I'm pretty sure it isn't Japanese)

"Cabela's" on sheath and stamped (not etched) on handle

and ....

wait for it .....

HOLLOW KNURLED SCREWS  !!!!!!!     :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh 
(I've been looking for one of these for what seems like forever)

I'm more than a little excited and anticipatory, and I can't wait to get my hands on this one (but I'll have to - Matt will see it well before I do)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 04:24:22 PM by gregozedobe »

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #685 on: April 30, 2014, 08:07:22 PM
I'm more than a little excited and anticipatory, and I can't wait to get my hands on this one (but I'll have to - Matt will see it well before I do)

if Greg asks nicely, I can probably be persuaded to post some pics of this one when it arrives. :D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #686 on: May 01, 2014, 01:16:17 AM

if Greg asks nicely, I can probably be persuaded to post some pics of this one when it arrives. :D

Pretty, pretty, pretty,  please  ?  (was that nice enough ?)  :rofl:

us Offline David

Reply #687 on: May 01, 2014, 06:55:59 AM
Good score Greg. I expected to see more action on that one. I'm sure your happy most the big dogs were napping.    :D     It would be nice to see some good pics of it as the auction pics were awful.
Hold Fast

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #688 on: May 01, 2014, 08:48:11 AM
Good score Greg. I expected to see more action on that one. I'm sure your happy most the big dogs were napping.    :D     It would be nice to see some good pics of it as the auction pics were awful.
Thanks David, I was hoping not too many big bidders would notice it, but if necessary I was prepared to pay over double what it ended up going for.  Mind you, I did invoke my "ebay buyers cartel" agreement with one of my usual competitors (thereby saving me $60  :tu:  ).

I'm hoping the "big dogs" are still snoozing for the next one I'd really like to win, but we'll see what happens when it ends  ;) 

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #689 on: May 01, 2014, 09:50:21 AM

Pretty, pretty, pretty,  please  ?  (was that nice enough ?)  :rofl:

I suppose that will suffice. :D :rofl: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69