Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I need a new kayak knife

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: I need a new kayak knife
Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 01:11:41 AM
I came accross a UK site which appeared to have the neckolas in stock for £32 (I think) plus p+p.

edit - i can't find the link so i must have confused it with the bearclaw  :facepalm:  :oops:

What are your thoughts on the nrs co pilot ?
Pricewise also about £30 or so but looks more versatile then the neckolas ? Or is versatility even something I should be thinking of in a kayak/boat/dive knife ?

I don't have a lot of experience with that knife although I do know a few people who have them (including DKS I think? ) and they are quite find of them.  I don't think you would go wrong with them, but they aren't my choice.

Every one is different though!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 02:51:35 PM
I came accross a UK site which appeared to have the neckolas in stock for £32 (I think) plus p+p.

edit - i can't find the link so i must have confused it with the bearclaw  :facepalm:  :oops:

Pricewise also about £30 or so but looks more versatile then the neckolas ? Or is versatility even something I should be thinking of in a kayak/boat/dive knife ?

I don't have a lot of experience with that knife although I do know a few people who have them (including DKS I think? ) and they are quite find of them.  I don't think you would go wrong with them, but they aren't my choice.

Def

yeah my problem is i have very little experience - i expect/hope to be doing a lot of kayaking over the next 12 months so i think i'll wait a few weeks and i might have a better idea what my needs are.
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 04:18:26 PM

Def

yeah my problem is i have very little experience - i expect/hope to be doing a lot of kayaking over the next 12 months so i think i'll wait a few weeks and i might have a better idea what my needs are.
Experience doesn't matter so much as a 'canoe' attitude Eamo. I'll get my coat.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 04:39:02 PM
Sadly I agree with Magentus....  :ahhh

I'd rather adopt a Ready, Fire, Aim policy rather than a wait and see policy when it comes to kayaking.  Grab something that looks useful now, then decide what you like/don't like about it, and if necessary, grab something more suitable along the way. 

The Gerber River Shorty is back in production and quite inexpensive, and also a very good choice.  I had one and liked it, but I gave it to my father before it got too many miles on it.

A good knife is something you don't want to head out without.  Maybe it won't be something dramatic or lifesaving (I hope it isn't!) but repairing and jury rigging equipment, making lunch etc, you'll definitely want one.

As soon as I get my kayak box from Halifax I'll go through it and let you know all of what is in it- I keep a number of things in there to set up for whatever I might encounter.  A short list of what is in there is:

- Stretch and hold silicone tape
- Duct Tape
- Adjustable wrench
- Numerous waterproof boxes of various sizes, styles and types
- Zip ties
- WD-40
- Sunscreen
- Bug Spray
- Bungee cords, nylon straps
- Boat emergency kits

That is mostly stuff that is left on shore, but I can take what I need out of it before I head out, plus I can tighten/adjust/modify any of my boat carrying racks on the trailer with this setup.

In the boat I carry the standard emergency kit, which is mandatory in Canada for any boat.  That includes a floating rope, whistle, flashlight, signaling device and a bailing device.

I also wear an inflatable pfd, or a paddling pfd.  You can't wear a standard type pfd in a kayak as it is very uncomfortable and you'll probably end up taking it off or it will chafe the smurf out of your armpits.  It is well worth getting the proper type pfd.

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer.  I'm not a pro, but I have logged an awful lot of time in a kayak!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 05:00:10 PM
Sadly I agree with Magentus....  :ahhh

Seriously ?

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 13, 2016, 05:14:03 PM

If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer.  I'm not a pro, but I have logged an awful lot of time in a kayak!

thanks Grant appreciate that. Some good advice there :tu:

Its a bit of a story and not an interesting one, so short version - initially, I will be in a group with instructors etc - in a school type setting I dunno would any type of knife be frowned upon in this pc age. (all the students are adults but even so). So until i start I need to wait and see. Personally, I would be more comfortable having one, but
a) incredibly unlikely i'd need one starting off
b) i'll bring an MT for now

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: July 13, 2016, 05:31:30 PM
Here's Grathr's Kayak thread that I hijacked to talk about the Boker knife:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52909.msg915777.html#msg915777

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 13, 2016, 07:24:34 PM

once again overthinking this . . .
between the NRS copilot and the Gerber river shorty i'd go with the copilot because -
its smaller overall with a smaller blade - i want a small unobtrusive tool
it's cheaper - unfortunately, a factor

it's slightly heavier but i don't think that matters (17 grams i think)
blade material is the same.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #38 on: July 13, 2016, 08:43:41 PM

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 13, 2016, 09:11:26 PM
The more I've read in this thread, and the more I've researched based on everybody's suggestions, I'm thinking the Gerber River Shorty with a new kydex sheath would be a great addition to my inflatable, permanently attached for all my on-water uses.  For $25-$26, it looks like the best option, even as a necker.

Thanks...    :2tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 13, 2016, 09:25:32 PM

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 02:59:19 AM

once again overthinking this . . .
between the NRS copilot and the Gerber river shorty i'd go with the copilot because -
its smaller overall with a smaller blade - i want a small unobtrusive tool
it's cheaper - unfortunately, a factor

it's slightly heavier but i don't think that matters (17 grams i think)
blade material is the same.

Cheaper is absolutely a factor when you are talking about something you are using around water.  I bring my snorkel gear most of the time so anything that drops 10-15 feet might be recoverable but the odds decrease significantly beyond that.  I'd suggest a 24-30" lanyard, clipped to your pfd as well, although I never use one.  I take my chances, although I know I'd be pretty angry seeing the knife disappear in the water.

If the Copilot seems like the best choice then by all means get it.  It will be miles better than not having a knife handy!

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 04:26:41 PM

Grant, any thoughts on folders ? other then the fact it is a folder and not a fixed - i think fixed is better, but having a knife in public view will likely be frowned on.

This seems a nice tidy knife which fits the bill (literally it's only £12 shipped) . . . .

http://palmequipmenteurope.com/product/folding-knife-0

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 04:47:17 PM
Have you considered a folder or fixed blade with cork scales Eamo? I'm sure I saw one on a thread here. Or an ordinary knife with a cork on a lanyard so it'll float?

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 14, 2016, 05:06:16 PM
Have you considered a folder or fixed blade with cork scales Eamo? I'm sure I saw one on a thread here. Or an ordinary knife with a cork on a lanyard so it'll float?

no, i hadn't . . . criteria are it needs to be blunt tip, it needs to be serrated as in an emergency, rope/webbing is most likely what it'd be cutting, preferably fixed but a) they're £30 ish plus shipping for anything decent, and b) unfortunately, it has to be unobtrusive, so i'm thinking folder in a pfd pocket.

i'll have a search for cork handled knives though infairness, the folder i linked to pretty much fits the bill and is only £13 inc shipping to me here, how bad ??

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #45 on: July 14, 2016, 05:44:10 PM

no, i hadn't . . . criteria are it needs to be blunt tip, it needs to be serrated as in an emergency, rope/webbing is most likely what it'd be cutting, preferably fixed but a) they're £30 ish plus shipping for anything decent, and b) unfortunately, it has to be unobtrusive, so i'm thinking folder in a pfd pocket.

i'll have a search for cork handled knives though infairness, the folder i linked to pretty much fits the bill and is only £13 inc shipping to me here, how bad ??

That 13 quid one looks good. You could always consider a cork scaled one further down the line when you're not collecting kayak knives as well as all the other (Mora, SAK, Bieber Barbies) you're not collecting.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 14, 2016, 05:50:06 PM

That 13 quid one looks good. You could always consider a cork scaled one further down the line when you're not collecting kayak knives as well as all the other (Mora, SAK, Bieber Barbies) you're not collecting.

NO WAY ! ! ! ! you're getting me a Bieber Barbie ! ! ! ! ! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy

and i only possess one swiss army knife  :P  :P  :P so still not a collection nor am i a collector.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 05:47:25 AM
A fixed blade is better than a folder, but a folder is better than none.  If you don't think you can get away with a fixed blade then by all means get a folder.   Spend some time grabbing it at different angles and flipping it open safely without looking at it just to be sure you can do it when you need to.

In all honesty you will probably never need your knife to rescue you, as these types of situations are rare, and most people paddle their entire lives never needing to do a serious self rescue.  But then I've also never burned down my kitchen either but I still have a fire extinguisher there.  :D

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 03:13:20 PM

as usual, and like most of us, i agree with you Grant.

A fixed blade is better than a folder, but a folder is better than none.  If you don't think you can get away with a fixed blade then by all means get a folder.   Spend some time grabbing it at different angles and flipping it open safely without looking at it just to be sure you can do it when you need to.

sound advice, for reasons you've outlined i'd prefer a fixed blade, and I think i've settled on the NRS co-pilot, nice, small, tidy. But it can wait, when i'm off on my own i can carry what i want :D

In all honesty you will probably never need your knife to rescue you, as these types of situations are rare, and most people paddle their entire lives never needing to do a serious self rescue.  But then I've also never burned down my kitchen either but I still have a fire extinguisher there.  :D

exactly, and kind of one of the reasons i don't want a bear claw but something more multifunctional - this is afterall a "multi" forum  :rofl:

have you ever gotten your knife snagged on anything while wearing it on your pfd ?

I'll get my coat.

please do, Mags, please do

ok, for £13 inc shipping i ordered one of the palm equipment folders. Should be here next week so happy days. When will my Bieber Barbie be here ? Is it the leatherman or sak version ?

us Online Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 16, 2016, 06:57:54 AM
Have either of you seen the Meyerco Necklance River Rescue knife designed by Blackie Collins?  It is 6 inches overall with a 3 inch blade and it has a blunt tip and a rather aggressive serrated edge.  It is cheap on E bay (under $10 U.S.) and is covered by a lifetime guarantee.  I'm not endorsing this knife, it's just another possibility that I've found while searching for "rescue knives."
neckolance river knife.JPG
* neckolance river knife.JPG (Filesize: 124.76 KB)
neckolance 2.jpg
* neckolance 2.jpg (Filesize: 113.63 KB)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:00:16 AM by Alan K. »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #50 on: July 16, 2016, 01:21:13 PM
I think I might have to give that one a shot.  The price is certainly right, although I hoe it comes in different colors.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 16, 2016, 08:34:18 PM

that is an interesting looking knife alright !

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: July 16, 2016, 08:41:51 PM

ok, for £13 inc shipping i ordered one of the palm equipment folders. Should be here next week so happy days. When will my Bieber Barbie be here ? Is it the leatherman or sak version ?

wooooo my order has shipped ! hopefully with me monday or tuesday . . . .

Mags, has my Bieber Barbie shipped ? i do so want the leatherman version  :dd: :dd: :dd:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #53 on: July 16, 2016, 09:14:59 PM

Mags, has my Bieber Barbie shipped ? i do so want the leatherman version  :dd: :dd: :dd:
Shipped this morning Eamo - I had to order in extra leather.

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: July 16, 2016, 09:58:01 PM

Shipped this morning Eamo - I had to order in extra leather.

EPIC

england Offline Kev D

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 16, 2016, 10:43:39 PM
Have you thought about attaching one of these to your kayak knife in case it goes overboard?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LandNSea-530-Davis-Instruments-Buoy/dp/B000ZOV6TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468701685&sr=8-1&keywords=davis+key+buoy

It was on dragons den a few years ago and got funded.

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #56 on: July 16, 2016, 11:11:41 PM
Maybe too large to wear as a neck knife but this would be my choice if attached to a safety vest.
Mora Companion Rescue Knife, blunt tip, serrated, light weight, stainless & cheap!

http://www.worldknives.com/products/mora-clipper-companion-rescue-knife-ft11828-2899.html

* WP_20140816_10_56_13_Pro.jpg (Filesize: 16.99 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: July 16, 2016, 11:53:19 PM
Have you thought about attaching one of these to your kayak knife in case it goes overboard?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LandNSea-530-Davis-Instruments-Buoy/dp/B000ZOV6TU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468701685&sr=8-1&keywords=davis+key+buoy

I've seen those for keys and things,  but no, I never wanted anything fiddly on it.

Maybe too large to wear as a neck knife but this would be my choice if attached to a safety vest.
Mora Companion Rescue Knife, blunt tip, serrated, light weight, stainless & cheap!

http://www.worldknives.com/products/mora-clipper-companion-rescue-knife-ft11828-2899.html

I think I'd like that a lot more if it was a sheep's foot.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: July 17, 2016, 08:07:54 PM
Have either of you seen the Meyerco Necklance River Rescue knife designed by Blackie Collins?  It is 6 inches overall with a 3 inch blade and it has a blunt tip and a rather aggressive serrated edge.  It is cheap on E bay (under $10 U.S.) and is covered by a lifetime guarantee.  I'm not endorsing this knife, it's just another possibility that I've found while searching for "rescue knives."

a question on a blade such as this - the serrations seem very deep, would a blade like that snag on stuff you're trying to cut ?

i'd (once again) agree with Grant, keep it simple, a flotation thingie would only get in the way i'd think

i like moras but i dunno, i prefer small for a PFD/BCD knife.

Been looking at a lomo for my youngest for her BCD, nice, small and handy (and cheap)

gb Offline daverobson

Reply #59 on: July 18, 2016, 12:24:23 AM
I agree with you there eamo, the Lomo compact BC knife looks a lot more suitable than the Mora.
https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Lomo-bcd-knife-bc-compact-hi-vis-yellow.html

bcd-knife-b.jpg
* bcd-knife-b.jpg (Filesize: 35.43 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31