Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I need a new kayak knife

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
  • I have a small selection of disparate tools
Re: I need a new kayak knife
Reply #60 on: July 18, 2016, 05:22:58 PM
wooooo my palm equipment knife arrived !  :mail:  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
pics when i have time

but . . . . no sign of my leatherman bieber barbie from mags . . . .  :wait: :wait: :wait:
It is never too late to be what you might have been - George Eliot

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: July 18, 2016, 07:43:26 PM

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: July 18, 2016, 10:25:04 PM
The Boker is a nice knife as well, but I found it a bit bigger than I wanted.  I've been talking to Abe Elias, the designer of the knife and mentioned my input on it- it needed to be about 1/3 smaller and made from a more corrosion resistant steel.  He agreed and insinuated that there may be a next generation of the knife more in line with what I suggested.
1/3th smaller sounds about right. This is the reason why I haven't ordered one yet.

I was also looking at the Fox Composo Neck Knife
For me, this one has the right size, however, the serrations are at the wrong end of the edge.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #63 on: July 18, 2016, 11:19:55 PM
I'm glad it got there safe and sound Eamo!  I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

Beat, that Fox knife does look pretty good, even if they did install the serrations backwards....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

wales Online magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #64 on: July 18, 2016, 11:30:52 PM
wooooo my palm equipment knife arrived !  :mail:  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
pics when i have time

but . . . . no sign of my leatherman bieber barbie from mags . . . .  :wait: :wait: :wait:

Patience young padawan - I didn't know you were so excited about it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #65 on: July 19, 2016, 10:12:05 PM
Hey team, saw this and thought I ought to share...the NRS Pilot knife for under $20...just ordered this off the West Marine website:  http://www.westmarine.com/outlet/buy/nrs--pilot-knife-with-sheath-orange--15999576
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: July 20, 2016, 01:55:54 PM
Hey team, saw this and thought I ought to share...the NRS Pilot knife for under $20...just ordered this off the West Marine website:  http://www.westmarine.com/outlet/buy/nrs--pilot-knife-with-sheath-orange--15999576

yup, they have some sweet deals but by the time it gets to my part of the world, just aint worth it :(

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #67 on: July 20, 2016, 01:56:41 PM
pics when i have time

Patience young padawan - I didn't know you were so excited about it.

:wait: :wait: :wait::wait: :wait: :wait::wait: :wait: :wait::wait: :wait: :wait:

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: August 06, 2016, 09:43:13 PM
i never did get my leatherman bieber barbie . . . . perhaps it's traveling with Dolly ?

Offline Ray S

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: August 07, 2016, 12:55:42 AM
I don't know if these would qualify as kayak knives;I got them years ago and understood they were diver's backup knives.These are the only two I've ever seen. Can't remember if they are marked or not;will have to dig them out and check.Background is as usual 1"(25.4mm)squares.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #70 on: August 07, 2016, 03:28:57 AM
Those look pretty cool.  Any identification marks on them?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #71 on: October 30, 2016, 10:30:57 PM
Just to revive this one a bit- I have been using the Benchmade 110H2O model for kayaking and other outings this year, and although I have had too few trips in the boat, I have come to really like this little knife.

I have the yellow version, and, while it doesn't meet all my criteria (especially price, I paid over $100 for it!  :ahhh) it is a very nice knife.  Naturally, since I like it, it is also long since discontinued.   :facepalm:

Of course I am also looking at other knives that might work, and I came across the Gerber Epic which also looks interesting.  If only it came in a non tactical, high visibility type color, like orange, yellow or a really, insanely bright green.

But, as the season is over (for me at least, I am a fair weather kayaker and proud of it! :P) and my boats are put away for the year, I am more planning for next year than actually expecting to pick something up. 

I looked at the NRS models, and I am not sure I am comfortable putting my life in the hands of a 420HC knife, and, while there is a titanium version, I don't really want to drop $100 on on- they just don't seem that exciting to me.  I'll probably try one eventually, along with another Gerber River Shorty. 

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #72 on: October 30, 2016, 10:37:50 PM
Both Mora and Hultafors do stainless rope knives. Cheap and with good reputation, what's not to like?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #73 on: October 31, 2016, 01:18:02 AM
I'm certainly hard pressed to find something I don't like about them, but I'm not really sold on the configuration for kayaking.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #74 on: October 31, 2016, 01:32:35 AM
Never having kayaked.... is that a word? .....I don't understand what does make for an appropriate knife. On the canal boat, it was all about rope cutting. What are the three primary features you need for it to be a decent kayakable.... I'm doing it again  :ahhh ...... knife?

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #75 on: November 01, 2016, 12:34:20 PM
Three main things huh?  Simple enough:

1- Easily and securely attaches to a PFD or can be hung around your neck without worry of losing it.

2- Safe tip and serrated blade for cutting rope or webbing that may get tangled.

3- Easily oriented in the hand from any angle so you can be sure that the rounded tip and serrated blade are pointed the right way.

Much of this is oriented towards whitewater and I don't (usually) just go for whitewater, but the kind of kayaking I do, you can encounter just about anything, including whitewater.  When you are paddling on the ocean or flasmurfer (lakes etc) there really isn't any need for a knife.  When you stop for lunch or to make camp you can use the kayak knife or you can bring a secondary knife, especially since weight doesn't matter as much in a boat as when you are climbing or hiking.

But, when you hit whitewater you don't know what is under you so if you roll and get snagged you want to get out quickly since you may not have had there ability or wherewithal to have taken a breath on the way down.  A couple of years ago Megan got snagged on a rock, right next to a submerged telephone pole which also had the steel climbing pegs in it.  Since everything is tied to the boat, there are lots of ropes to get snagged on something like that, plus the straps on your PFD, and the rigging on your boat.... plus there can be old ropes, fishing lines, nets, weeds etc, all capable of grabbing you.  If you can't quickly get yourself free, someone else may get a free boat.   :ahhh

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: November 02, 2016, 09:54:18 AM
Anyone considered the HHA MUK-01G?  :P

http://hardcorehardware.com.au/hardware/muk01-g.php

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #77 on: November 02, 2016, 12:34:27 PM
Nice knife, but it looks a little big, a little darkly colored and a lot too expensive for a kayak knife.  I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be watching $270 sink to the bottom of a lake or river! :ahhh

Plus if I get tangled in something and need to cut myself free I'm a bit worried about what that tip and the sawback teeth are likely to do to my precious flesh and organs.   :ahhh

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: November 03, 2016, 08:07:09 AM
I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be watching $270 sink to the bottom of a lake or river!

It's got a lanyard hole  ;)

Plus if I get tangled in something and need to cut myself free I'm a bit worried about what that tip and the sawback teeth are likely to do to my precious flesh and organs.

It just needs a little cover for the saw, a-la GAK.

(FWIW - I don't really like HHA stuff (although I've only ever used one of their D2 knives....)

I discovered this bad boy whilst reading a Hatchet review listicle, that, aside from being a bunch of random words strung together to pass as an article - They managed to review the same HHA hatchet TWICE, in different colours, without apparently noticing.

(I'm guessing the "article" was written by doing an image search for "tactical hatchet" , picking 10 images, and writing some stuff that made it look like they'd ever actually be in the same room as a hatchet (much less the ones they were "reviewing" )

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 08:18:38 AM by Sea Monster »

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: November 09, 2016, 10:49:38 PM
Grant, any success with this ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #80 on: November 10, 2016, 12:03:14 AM
Grant, any success with this ?

I haven't picked up another River Shorty or the Epic yet, but either way my boats are put away for the season and I doubt I'll be getting them out again before the spring.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: November 18, 2016, 07:47:32 PM
any reason you go for a fixed over a folder ? i can think of a few obvious reasons, but i'd be curious to hear yours.

I carry the palm equipment folding knife, only used it for maintenance tasks and thankfully so far haven't needed it in an emergency. In ireland (and i think the UK) fixed blades unfortunately are frowned on due to the "rambo" phenomenon/public perception :( :( 

i think i asked you before, few months back, have you ever looked at the NRS co pilot knife ? it's a bit pricey but looks a nice knife if fixed is what you need. but, i have never played with one.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #82 on: November 19, 2016, 02:22:59 AM
As someone who has been upside down in a whitewater boat I am surprised that you would ask why I prefer a fixed blade!  :D

When your kayak/paddler ratio inverts it can be very disorienting and the fewer complications you have while trying to learn to breathe underwater the better.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: November 19, 2016, 08:13:55 PM
As someone who has been upside down in a whitewater boat I am surprised that you would ask why I prefer a fixed blade!  :D

there is this thing called inexperience :D - yeah, i get the easy to deploy, but then theres the risk of it snagging on something, etc.
one of the things drilled into us from day one is "trees are not your friend" when it comes to rivers and kayaking. a lot comes back to advice you gave me a few months back, make sure i can access and open my knife with either hand, and eyes closed etc. And the rapids i've been playing on so far are only grade 2 so not particularly hazardous.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: November 19, 2016, 11:05:21 PM
You are right of course, but the reality is that moving water can always put you places you don't want to go, and bump you into things you don't want to bump into.  Megan had a couple of experiences that made her quickly realise how dangerous a current can be.  One was when she was in a fairy fast but shallow current and her boat fetched up on a rock and started to turn.  She quickly jammed her paddle in and pushed herself up on the rock for more stability and used her paddle to keep from turning.

Another time was further up the same waterway when the water was only a few inches deep on a sandbar.  The current was rushing out for the day (the Shubie Canal ends at the Bay of Fundy, home of the highest tides in the world, and the tide was going out) and dragging us along with it.  Unfortunately there were some shallow spots, and the water was rushing so fast that it only took a second or two to fetch up, turn sideways and roll.  Luckily it was only soft sand and extremely shallow, so no real danger, but that's not what you are thinking about when you are being almost forcefully ejected from the boat.

In the first scenario if she had rolled she would have hit many rocks, and it would have resulted in many broken bones a long way from help.  The second situation wasn't as grave, but happened much faster.

Don't underestimate what can happen in a current, even a relatively slow and safe one.  The areas we were in were Class 2.

Admittedly in either case a knife wasn't going to do a damned bit of good, but it's more to give you an idea of how quickly things can change, and I wouldn't want something underneath or any of my rigging keeping me from the oxygen I have been addicted to for years.

As for it snagging, I haven't found that was a serious problem yet.  The Benchmade rides quite flat on my PFD, and the other knives I have had were hung around my neck and tucked inside my PFD.  Anything is possible, but I'll take the chance of having them snag over not having them at all.  Especially with a neck knife, as if I did get hung up by it, it means I still have it with me, and can find it easily enough to free myself.

I still haven't tried the CoPilot knife.  I have been looking at them and I'm not sure I want to take the plunge (so to speak) on it.  I think I prefer the larger Pilot's knife and I recall thinking I preferred the titanium version (for some reason) and decided to write it off as I have no interest in dropping $200 for it.

Def

ie Offline eamo

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: November 20, 2016, 08:35:46 PM
You are right of course, but the reality is that moving water can always put you places you don't want to go, and bump you into things you don't want to bump into.  Megan had a couple of experiences that made her quickly realise how dangerous a current can be.  One was when she was in a fairy fast but shallow current and her boat fetched up on a rock and started to turn.  She quickly jammed her paddle in and pushed herself up on the rock for more stability and used her paddle to keep from turning.

Another time was further up the same waterway when the water was only a few inches deep on a sandbar.  The current was rushing out for the day (the Shubie Canal ends at the Bay of Fundy, home of the highest tides in the world, and the tide was going out) and dragging us along with it.  Unfortunately there were some shallow spots, and the water was rushing so fast that it only took a second or two to fetch up, turn sideways and roll.  Luckily it was only soft sand and extremely shallow, so no real danger, but that's not what you are thinking about when you are being almost forcefully ejected from the boat.

In the first scenario if she had rolled she would have hit many rocks, and it would have resulted in many broken bones a long way from help.  The second situation wasn't as grave, but happened much faster.

Don't underestimate what can happen in a current, even a relatively slow and safe one.  The areas we were in were Class 2.

Admittedly in either case a knife wasn't going to do a damned bit of good, but it's more to give you an idea of how quickly things can change, and I wouldn't want something underneath or any of my rigging keeping me from the oxygen I have been addicted to for years.

As for it snagging, I haven't found that was a serious problem yet.  The Benchmade rides quite flat on my PFD, and the other knives I have had were hung around my neck and tucked inside my PFD.  Anything is possible, but I'll take the chance of having them snag over not having them at all.  Especially with a neck knife, as if I did get hung up by it, it means I still have it with me, and can find it easily enough to free myself.

I still haven't tried the CoPilot knife.  I have been looking at them and I'm not sure I want to take the plunge (so to speak) on it.  I think I prefer the larger Pilot's knife and I recall thinking I preferred the titanium version (for some reason) and decided to write it off as I have no interest in dropping $200 for it.

Def

again, you're right, i have always treated water be it sea or river with a VERY healthy respect. Some good advice there Grant :2tu:
One thing to mention is I am always on the river with instructors who are very very good at what they do.
and yeah, titanium is crazy money, for me anyway.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #86 on: October 19, 2017, 04:28:43 PM
Found this... looks like a good knife for the job

Edelrid RESCUE CANYONING KNIFE
Not really much information
edelrid.jpg
* edelrid.jpg (Filesize: 47.59 KB)
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: October 21, 2017, 04:27:09 PM
Since I don't whitewater per se, I have been winging it with regards to the knife I carry when kayaking. If anyone happens  have a CRKT Neckolace for sale, I would love to try one. Looks pretty good but they don't seem to make them anymore.

That Benchmade is crazy expensive for something that may find its way into the drink and lost to the elements the first time I have to use it, but that's just me. Otherwise seems nice.

Anyone had any experience with the Gear Aid Akua? I have not, but found it while researching. 420 steel, Titanium coated. Serrated  and plain edge. The blunt end is flat enough to be used to pry clams. Bright green yellow handle. Drainholes in sheath. Removable side clip. I think it is under $30 USD.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #88 on: October 22, 2017, 11:52:44 PM
Found this... looks like a good knife for the job

Edelrid RESCUE CANYONING KNIFE
Not really much information

Interesting, but the handle looks a little slick and awkward?  Of course, so did the Neckolas, but now it is hands down the best kayak knife I have owned.

I don't see any pricing info on that page- in fact the whole website seems a little wonky, like they just threw in a bunch of features and never looked to see if any of them were working.   :facepalm:

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #89 on: October 23, 2017, 12:00:34 AM
Since I don't whitewater per se, I have been winging it with regards to the knife I carry when kayaking. If anyone happens  have a CRKT Neckolace for sale, I would love to try one. Looks pretty good but they don't seem to make them anymore.

That Benchmade is crazy expensive for something that may find its way into the drink and lost to the elements the first time I have to use it, but that's just me. Otherwise seems nice.

Anyone had any experience with the Gear Aid Akua? I have not, but found it while researching. 420 steel, Titanium coated. Serrated  and plain edge. The blunt end is flat enough to be used to pry clams. Bright green yellow handle. Drainholes in sheath. Removable side clip. I think it is under $30 USD.

Rule #1 of kayaking is "If it's not secured, it's not yours."

Rule # 2 is "Always have a knife."

You are right though, the Benchmade is quite expensive for a knife that is used around water, and that is usually against the rules.  However, that having been said, I am liking the Benchmade very much, although it is also discontinued, so if it goes, I won't be able to get another.   :facepalm:

That Gear Aid one you posted looks like a potentially useful blade for the water, and I may have to get one and try it out.  Unfortunately the season is pretty well over here, so I'll probably wait till closer to spring to pick one up.  The concern I have with it is the image of the guy using it as a screwdriver.  As a knife guy it makes me cringe as it means either the blade isn't properly hardened meaning it won't take a decent edge, or it is properly hardened and they are encouraging people to break their knives, since screwdrivers are usually much softer.  Still, it looks like a good alternative to the Benchmade, with a very similar blade style.

Thanks for the heads up!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%