Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No merrit badges for me...

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
No merrit badges for me...
on: April 13, 2015, 09:59:12 PM
Hi Everybody

The sum total of my Leatherman collection:

Core I got while guiding on the Zambezi...  8)
Micra was a gift from Microsoft  :D ......10+ years almost daily use.

Rebar and Skeletool is this forum's fault  :facepalm:

.......but now I feel naked without my Skeletool

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: No merrit badges for me...
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:33:44 PM
Got some great mt's  :tu: keep it up,but hey we dont all just collect on here some of us use these tools daily  :salute:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:03 PM
Another non collector here mate. Thankfully there are other types of merit badges available.  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18:19 AM
Cheers  :D

I collect fixed blades, will post some pics soon, but the Leathermans are users.

The Core has:
-been used to fix a Yamaha outboard
-cut nets off the prop of the outboard
-skinned a chicken....for orange feathers to tie Tigerfish flies
-and all the other little things you can use it for. 8)

As mentioned the Rebar is a recent purchase, it now lives in a USK (if you wanna go there...  :D ) because the pouch was out and it didn't work in my pocket.

The Micra is a trusted old friend, all the better for being free, but I bought my Dad one as well.

The Skeletool is my EDC, got a Wave screwdriver bit (thanks MTO for that advice) that lives in the handle, and it's my favourite by far. It's been in my pocket everyday for the past 3 months, forgot the lot including wallet at home one day, and that's not likely to happen.

During the first part of my career I always had a toolkit with me, screwdrivers, pliers, soldering iron and a few loose items.
These days in a more corporate environment I've found myself struggling to open a coffee bag with some blunt knife from the communal kitchen.......no longer the case!  :D 8)

It was just a matter of finding the right one for the job  :gimme: 

Offline zimchaz

Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 07:50:57 PM
Hey Gerhard, which side of the Zambezi did you guide from? Zim or Zam?

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 10:43:47 AM

Hi

NAM  :rofl:

I worked at Impalila for 7 months that felt like a lifetime  8)

Offline zimchaz

Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 10:45:42 AM

Hi

NAM  :rofl:

I worked at Impalila for 7 months that felt like a lifetime  8)
Ok nice...I haven't been on that river for 8 years now...The UK is more boring but more stable at the same time...

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 11:09:13 AM
I can just imagine, that was such a wonderful country......

I haven't been back since 2006, but I am thankful that I worked up there, despite the fact that I can't afford the lodges I got to experience more than people paying to be there....only a pity I didn't get the opportunity earlier in life or I might still be there.....

I badly want to go do a sandbank camping trip, but a good aliboat and 4-stroke cost twice what my car is worth  :facepalm:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 02:27:00 PM
Sounds like you are earning a pile of user merit badges!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 05:16:12 PM
Sounds like you are earning a pile of user merit badges!

Def

How so?  :angel:

BTW, went to a gun shop lunchtime to get an oil I was recommended for my knives......and I found a SOG Power Pliers for N$350.  In anybody else's money that's 20-35, so a bargain I assume!  8)
I asked if it is new, looks new, and I was told it's VERY old stock.  Box looks like crap, 2 fold-outs in there but no sheath.  From the box size I assume there was a sheath at some point.

Now.....I.....guess......I....need.....a.................GERBER  :facepalm: of some sort  >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 07:56:51 PM
I would imagine that if you were a wilderness guide you can probably post pictures of camping, shooting, fire starting, outdoor cooking etc:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=admin;area=awards;sa=main

Lots of merit badges to choose from!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 05:39:00 AM
You had my attention at Leatherman. Your reeled me in with outboard!

Are you running their 4 strokes?

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: April 16, 2015, 09:52:51 AM
I would imagine that if you were a wilderness guide you can probably post pictures of camping, shooting, fire starting, outdoor cooking etc:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?action=admin;area=awards;sa=main

Lots of merit badges to choose from!

Def

Hi Def

Camping, fishing, outdoor cooking......all things I do as often as possible.
Just this past weekend I went to collect a custom knife made on a farm that's been turned into a nature reserve with tented and basic campsites.
Had a brain-wave and decided we'd do a (what we call) Chinese BBQ with chicken breasts and mixed veg on the big pan normally used for breakfast.

I used to be a heavy smoker, and in the time I discovered fly fishing there were several years that I only skipped fishing 1 weekend a month simply because I couldn't afford it.
One day I got onto a high point to scout for fish, and my smokes & lighter fell into the water.  I had more cigarettes, but no way to light them..... :oops:
After that I carried spare lighters, but more importantly I got my first (and best) Light my Fire ferro rod.

Now I don't smoke anymore, but I've got ferro rods everywhere and several other ways to start a fire as well.
One of my goals for 2014 was to "master friction fire lighting".......and I failed miserably, even when I cheated with non-indigenous wood and a fire drill made from nice, straight Pine dowels and insulation tape  :facepalm:
I felt slightly better after watching the Naked & Afraid episode in Namibia, the dude was a friction fire whiz and flopped for 11 or 12 days.  :rofl:   

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 10:04:45 AM
You had my attention at Leatherman. Your reeled me in with outboard!

Are you running their 4 strokes?

Hi

I was only there to the end of 2006, but even then there was talk 2-strokes would be banned.

Also, if you go out fishing full day a 60HP 2-stroke would make it home on the fumes of 75L petrol, while you'd have 15L change from 50L with a 60Hp 4-stroke - if you can afford the 4-stroke you can save a lot of fuel.....

Feel free to google Impalila Island, from there we fished about 60km upstream.  You have Zambia and scattered little villages on the Northern bank, and floodplains on the Southern (namibian) bank.
If you take a tiny boat out on that huge river to the middle of nowhere, you develop instant motivation to become an outboard motor expert :rofl:

Part of the job is doing everything that needs doing, including servicing and repairing the boats. (+ being a waiter, doing supply runs, fishing guide and everything inbetween)
The craziest fix I can share with you was replacing the bottom bushings of a starter motor by filling it with Pratley steel putty and then drilling out a new hole for the shaft.
The drill press was used to drill the decking planks and was basically shot, I had to hold the motor cover as still and level as possible while my buddy operated the drill.
Can't take credit for the idea, but it worked on several motors....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:07:26 AM by Gerhard Gerber »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD