Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which SOG to begin with?!

Humppa · 61 · 5223

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Re: Which SOG to begin with?!
Reply #30 on: November 15, 2015, 04:11:32 AM
Good luck on a Paladin. They are very rare. As far as cutting wire, the 525 is to the PPP and the 540 is to the Power lock. SOGs wire cutters are the best. Some cases they are better than some dedicated wire cutters that I have came across.
What tool have you been eyeballing Zman?

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Nate

SEND IT!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: November 15, 2015, 04:21:46 AM
Good luck on a Paladin. They are very rare. As far as cutting wire, the 525 is to the PPP and the 540 is to the Power lock. SOGs wire cutters are the best. Some cases they are better than some dedicated wire cutters that I have came across.
What tool have you been eyeballing Zman?

I've been looking at the Blacktip, WM PST, 540, 525, PowerLock and PowerAssist.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: November 15, 2015, 05:46:50 AM
OK. SOG Power lock and Power Assist are the same. One just has assisted blades. I have not missed with the black tip. But by the looks of it, it will eat wire for breakfast.

Nate

SEND IT!

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #33 on: November 15, 2015, 06:44:01 AM
I should add that I am most interested in the wire cutter ability.

Which is the most badass?

Gets interesting when looking at the Paladin 540 and 525, how do they compare to the PowerLock and Blacktip?

Secondary is the availability and the cost.

Where does one get a Paladin MT?

Mine are all shelf queens so I'm not about to do any "destruction" testing on hard wire for you, sorry   :(   But if you are ever in Canberra you are welcome to visit me and handle them all  :tu:

I'd be inclined to suggest a West Marine Blacktip (with tool covers), as these have longer handles than the others ( PT-540, PT-525 and  PowerLock ), so will have more leverage when cutting wire, and they are often on sale cheaply from West Marine in the US.  Don't be tempted to try to hunt down the early version of the BlackTip with replaceable wire cutters, IIRC the plier heads in these were weak and prone to breaking under load.

The PT-540 has a smaller cutting edge on the wire cutters (compared with a BlackTip) as they also have several wire strippers and a crimper in the pliers.

All Paladins are harder to find than PowerLocks or Blacktips, and usually significantly more expensive (especially the PT-540).  I've bought all mine from the US, mostly off eBay.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline leathermon

• Better to have a tool, than be a tool.
Reply #34 on: November 15, 2015, 07:46:30 AM
Here are some picks of the blacktip, with my solo in there for reference.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: November 15, 2015, 01:17:42 PM
Thanks for all the replies.   :cheers:

Taking cost into consideration I've narrowed it down to the Blacktip or PowerLock.

The next question is sog vs g-shock...

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: November 15, 2015, 01:40:22 PM

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Can the blacktip tools be swapped like all other sogs? I actually like the unassisted outside blades
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #37 on: November 15, 2015, 03:39:26 PM
 :drool: :drool: SOG  :drool: :drool:

:cheers:
SAW

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #38 on: November 15, 2015, 06:22:04 PM

(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)
Can the blacktip tools be swapped like all other sogs? I actually like the unassisted outside blades
Yes
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: December 10, 2015, 09:18:29 AM
 :whistle:

hr Offline styx

Reply #40 on: December 10, 2015, 09:39:38 AM
blacktip?
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: December 10, 2015, 10:27:14 AM
Yes.   :multi:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 02:21:57 PM
You have certainly improved the Phillips :tu:
SAW

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 01:41:43 PM

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: December 14, 2015, 01:41:59 PM

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #46 on: December 16, 2015, 12:12:49 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #47 on: January 02, 2016, 03:22:50 AM
I've been wanting to add a full size SOG (all I have is a CrossGrip) to my collection for a while, but I really don't know which to get. Probably should have grabbed a Blacktip from that sale on WM, but I was trying to conserve money at the time  :-[

Right now I'm seeing that a PPP or SP2 can be had for about $40. How would you guys say the two compare? And does $40 sound like a good price for either?

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #48 on: January 02, 2016, 03:38:18 AM
I've been wanting to add a full size SOG (all I have is a CrossGrip) to my collection for a while, but I really don't know which to get. Probably should have grabbed a Blacktip from that sale on WM, but I was trying to conserve money at the time  :-[

Right now I'm seeing that a PPP or SP2 can be had for about $40. How would you guys say the two compare? And does $40 sound like a good price for either?

$40 is a good price for SP2, and a decent price for the PPP. I'd think you could do substantially better than that on the PPP on EvilBay. I consider them pretty similar in terms of capability. The PPP does have compound leverage going for it, so it should be better at cutting and grabbing. But the SP2 is no slouch as it's pliers are massive, and the handles are more comfortable. Both tools come with the same stock loadout, though the PPP has two empty slots that allow for growth. The PPP is lighter and slimmer, but without a pocket clip this is sort of wasted - it would make a great pocket tool. I pocket carry mine anyway, but it would be better suited for it with a clip. The SP2 has a clip, and though it is heavier and thicker, it still pockets nicely due to the sort of tear-drop shape.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: January 02, 2016, 03:41:40 AM
I don't really consider the SP2 a full sized multi even if it is longer than a LM Charge.

I'll be testing it through January but atm I'm kicking myself for spending money on the blacktip.

If I was to consider giving SOG another chance it would be with a powerlock, one with the piano locks.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #50 on: January 02, 2016, 03:44:29 AM
Pretty much what rdub said. Also, get both.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:46:03 AM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #51 on: January 02, 2016, 03:53:04 AM

$40 is a good price for SP2, and a decent price for the PPP. I'd think you could do substantially better than that on the PPP on EvilBay. I consider them pretty similar in terms of capability. The PPP does have compound leverage going for it, so it should be better at cutting and grabbing. But the SP2 is no slouch as it's pliers are massive, and the handles are more comfortable. Both tools come with the same stock loadout, though the PPP has two empty slots that allow for growth. The PPP is lighter and slimmer, but without a pocket clip this is sort of wasted - it would make a great pocket tool. I pocket carry mine anyway, but it would be better suited for it with a clip. The SP2 has a clip, and though it is heavier and thicker, it still pockets nicely due to the sort of tear-drop shape.

Man, you're giving me great info but somehow it's not making things easier   :D

I was seeing PPPs on ebay for ~$35 not long ago, but that $40 I found was actually the cheapest one on ebay at the moment  ???

My bank account is already limping after my 2015 gear shopping spree!

I don't really consider the SP2 a full sized multi even if it is longer than a LM Charge.

I'll be testing it through January but atm I'm kicking myself for spending money on the blacktip.

If I was to consider giving SOG another chance it would be with a powerlock, one with the piano locks.

There's a PowerLock on ebay for $30, but it looks to be in very rough shape unfortunately. That seems like a nice model though. The main reason I wasn't looking at one is the size. It looks pretty big, and I wanted something a little more compact at the moment.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #52 on: January 02, 2016, 04:16:44 AM

Man, you're giving me great info but somehow it's not making things easier   :D

I was seeing PPPs on ebay for ~$35 not long ago, but that $40 I found was actually the cheapest one on ebay at the moment  ???

My bank account is already limping after my 2015 gear shopping spree!

There's a PowerLock on ebay for $30, but it looks to be in very rough shape unfortunately. That seems like a nice model though. The main reason I wasn't looking at one is the size. It looks pretty big, and I wanted something a little more compact at the moment.

Then I would go SP2 for the spring loaded pliers. You should get both of them though. You know you want to.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #53 on: January 02, 2016, 08:10:35 AM
SOG multis tend to be expensive on the bay, despite a seeming lack of interest in them.  So I guess sellers, having a lack of buyers, raise their prices to make selling SOG multis more viable.  I got  my PPP (scratched to hell outside but perfect inside tools) and PowerLock (minus  plier jaws and smurfed blade, otherwise perfect inside tools) for less than $20 total. The best deals ive seen in multis have been SOGs (besides the $40 LM Flair, and the  $60 lot with an MP600, Wave, Juice S2 and SwissTool, both of which im still kicking myself for not buying), just got to wait for the right auction.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #54 on: January 02, 2016, 04:14:06 PM
SOG multis tend to be expensive on the bay, despite a seeming lack of interest in them.  So I guess sellers, having a lack of buyers, raise their prices to make selling SOG multis more viable.  I got  my PPP (scratched to hell outside but perfect inside tools) and PowerLock (minus  plier jaws and smurfed blade, otherwise perfect inside tools) for less than $20 total. The best deals ive seen in multis have been SOGs (besides the $40 LM Flair, and the  $60 lot with an MP600, Wave, Juice S2 and SwissTool, both of which im still kicking myself for not buying), just got to wait for the right auction.

Yeah, I may bide my time with this one. Or maybe I'll open a thread in the sales forum here and see if anyone is looking to get rid of a SOG.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: January 05, 2016, 08:47:36 PM

Yeah, I may bide my time with this one. Or maybe I'll open a thread in the sales forum here and see if anyone is looking to get rid of a SOG.

I think I may have found a decent deal for you. PM headed your way
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #56 on: January 08, 2016, 03:25:32 AM
Alright, so I got my first non-keychain size SOG; a SwitchPlier 2.0!  :woohoo:

After fiddling with it since yesterday, I have to say I'm quite impressed. It feels much more solid and reliable than expected. It seems well worth the very low price I paid for it.

A question though- Is it a problem dropping the scissors in there, or can I just trade the blade out for them?

I'd also like to find a better price than SOG charges for components on their site, seeing as scissors are $12.75 plus whatever shipping charge they ask   :-\

Edit: I checked and the shipping is $6. So that adds up to 2/3 of what I paid for the entire tool!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:29:47 AM by WoodsDuck »

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #57 on: January 08, 2016, 04:54:33 AM
Either get a beater PowerLock for parts, or post in the Misc. Items section looking for what you wanted.
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
Reply #58 on: January 08, 2016, 07:02:28 AM
Not difficult getting scissors in the SP2. They do take up two slots, though, so you will have to lose the blade and one other tool. I gave up the awl in order to get my scissors in.

Heinnie Hayes (or whatever) has SOG components for sale, but not sure how the prices work out. I think HH may be based overseas so shipping may get you with them.

Also, if you sign up to receive emails from the SOG website, you can get 10% off a purchase. Not huge savings but it helps.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:04:25 AM by rdub934 »

us Offline WoodsDuck

• No Life Club
  • Duck!
Reply #59 on: January 08, 2016, 05:59:16 PM
Cool. Thanks for the advice, guys  :tu:

One last question; anybody know if the SOG awl will fit in a Gerber MP600?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%