Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommendations on a new beater

Offline Fragunov

Recommendations on a new beater
on: April 16, 2015, 07:11:49 PM
Hello friends,

I'm getting close to retiring my favorite beater knife, a Smith & Wesson SWBG6TS. I need some recommendations on something close to the price point with similar features. I use this thing every single day, many times a day. It takes a lot of abuse and holds up to said abuse very well. Here's a picture:

The current price for this is like 22 bucks on amazon, original price at $35. I can spend up to $35. Big fan of Kershaw and CRKT. Must be all black components, must have hook cutter, don't care about glass breaker. I'm not a fan of partial serration but I can live with it. Tanto is preferred, and measurements must be similar with a 10 inch full length. It's very important that the handle be HUGE and fit into a large hand firmly. Thanks guys!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Recommendations on a new beater
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:36:54 PM
We'll if you have $35 to spend you have plenty of options. If it must have a seatbelt cutter like that they you have basically narrowed your choices down to nothing. If you do find something it will not be a Kershaw or Spyderco like you want. I would highly suggest loosing the seatbelt cutter as it will open up your choices. If not then you might as well just buy another of the same knife.
I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 10:17:52 PM
Check out SRM, Ganzo etc (Exduct is a good starting point to see the various models) Some come with the belt cutter.

If you could live without the belt cutter then there are other options too from Cold Steel, Buck etc.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 11:03:26 PM
It might be possible to get a dedicated belt cutter and a great beater knife.  Belt cutter can be carried at times when the knife cannot. 
Esse Quam Videri

mx Offline Dragon Lord

• Follow your dreams they would lead you to happines
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 11:18:59 PM
If the knife MUST have the belt knife cutter there are not so many options other than another s&W some Magnum by böker and only find one kershaw :Kershaw Funxion Assisted Opening EMT Folding Rescue Knife

There are one buck redpoint rescue and a  SOG FF24 Escape Folding Rescue Knife 3.4" that are almost at the price range (37 dollars)

No mention tons of brands like mtech or some of the kind.  I think SRM or ganzo are good choices too

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 01:36:04 PM
Anything you buy is going to our perform a Smith & Wesson knife.   Those things are made by Taylor Cutlery from six different grades of crap.

CRKT has several decent knives in that price range.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 12:15:52 AM
Anything you buy is going to our perform a Smith & Wesson knife.   Those things are made by Taylor Cutlery from six different grades of crap.

CRKT has several decent knives in that price range.

Def

:rofl:

CRKT does produce some good knives for a good price.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 12:53:26 PM
Add a CRKT KRET in to the mix and you've got many more knives to choose from.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%