Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Leap -- So Close to Perfect

us Offline Jonmustang

Leatherman Leap -- So Close to Perfect
on: April 16, 2015, 11:26:27 PM
Like most of you, I've been a Leatherman user for years, and I just signed up to the forum (after browsing for many months) to share some thoughts about the Leap. 

I just got my Leatherman Leap this week as a replacement for my lost Juice CS4.  I needed something lightweight for backpacking, but also as an EDC that would fit in the "watch pocket" of a pair of jeans.  I've gotta say, even though it's marketed towards kids, it seems like it's a better pocket-sized tool than the Juice.  It's similar in size and weight, but the Leap has a LOT of features that that Juice DOESN'T:

The pliers are WAY bigger/stronger than the Juice (awesome)
Knife blade is also MUCH sturdier than the Juice
Outside-opening tools (all of them)
Locking tools (half of them)
No useless wine-bottle opener
Security-torx hardware used on plier side instead of riveted hardware (can be removed for cleaning?)
Half the price!

Finally (and my favorite of all), one-handed opening is possible!  Well, almost... Leatherman purposefully made the openings on the plastic case a little too small for a kid to push out with a thumb, but with a little sanding, I think the case can be modded to allow for one-handed opening like a full-sized Leatherman!

With a couple mods to the plastic case and a more aggressive saw & knife, I think this would be a very popular EDC and backpacking tool.  I hope Leatherman realizes this soon and makes and official "adult" version.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 11:32:04 PM by Jonmustang »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Leatherman Leap -- So Close to Perfect
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:34:12 PM
Nice to have you join us buddy.  :cheers:  Where are the pics?  :pok:  :D

us Offline Obi1shinobee

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master LM Squirt Ps4 And Lord of Navitools
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 11:58:28 PM
Like most of you, I've been a Leatherman user for years, and I just signed up to the forum (after browsing for many months) to share some thoughts about the Leap. 

I just got my Leatherman Leap this week as a replacement for my lost Juice CS4.  I needed something lightweight for backpacking, but also as an EDC that would fit in the "watch pocket" of a pair of jeans.  I've gotta say, even though it's marketed towards kids, it seems like it's a better pocket-sized tool than the Juice.  It's similar in size and weight, but the Leap has a LOT of features that that Juice DOESN'T:

The pliers are WAY bigger/stronger than the Juice (awesome)
Knife blade is also MUCH sturdier than the Juice
Outside-opening tools (all of them)
Locking tools (half of them)
No useless wine-bottle opener
Security-torx hardware used on plier side instead of riveted hardware (can be removed for cleaning?)
Half the price!

Finally (and my favorite of all), one-handed opening is possible!  Well, almost... Leatherman purposefully made the openings on the plastic case a little too small for a kid to push out with a thumb, but with a little sanding, I think the case can be modded to allow for one-handed opening like a full-sized Leatherman!

With a couple mods to the plastic case and a more aggressive saw & knife, I think this would be a very popular EDC and backpacking tool.  I hope Leatherman realizes this soon and makes and official "adult" version.

Welcome to  :MTO:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 12:05:43 AM
Welcome to the forum Jon. :hatsoff:

I've had a similar thought about the Leap and Juice as well; it really doesn't seem all that hard to make a few versions of the Leap that would appeal to a wider audience.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 12:13:15 AM
Welcome to the forum and great first post  :tu:

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 12:40:12 AM
Welcome to the forum!
I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Leap.

-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:35 AM
Welcome!  :salute:

I thought the same. the Leap has everything I need for my EDC!:  :multi:
I am waiting for mine!!!  :mail:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,58806.0.html

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 01:05:13 AM
Perhaps you can modify the plastic handle and add a zip tie as thumb stud to improve the OHO

us Offline Jonmustang

Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 05:39:35 AM
Nice to have you join us buddy.  :cheers:  Where are the pics?  :pok:  :D

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  Here are the pliers next to the Surge and an old SuperTool:

A size comparison:

I'd like to file out the plastic case to have thumb-sized openings as big as the screwdriver's opening:

It looks to me like there might be room for more tools.  I'd love an awl/scraper:

Most importantly, it tucks away pretty comfortably:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:25:03 AM by Jonmustang »

us Offline Jonmustang

Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 05:49:46 AM
The downsides I've found so far... the saw is pathetic.  They really played it safe with the tooth arrangement and sharpness.  Looks like it could've been almost a 1/2" longer if it came to a point instead of being rounded.  Same goes for the blade... coulda been longer if it weren't for the kid-friendly safety point, but I don't mind that as much because it's good for opening packages.

Also, the folding/unfolding action of the pliers is pretty stiff.  They might loosen up with regular use.  I wouldn't mind a spring-action on the pliers as well.  For about $40-50 it's a winner.  Leatherman could easily expand on this design, essentially making pocket-sized versions of their full-sized tools.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 12:25:56 PM
Happy to hear you like it so much. For me, the biggest fault are the locking levers hidden under all that plastic.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 12:39:09 PM
Happy to hear you like it so much. For me, the biggest fault are the locking levers hidden under all that plastic.

Solution: Custom scales...???  :gimme:

Tofty and Shapeways??? :D :pok:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 12:52:16 PM
Thanks for the pics mate.  :cheers:

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 03:28:52 PM
Welcome, great post.

Sak's  rule !

CHEERS

us Offline Jonmustang

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 06:56:41 PM

Solution: Custom scales...???  :gimme:

Tofty and Shapeways??? :D :pok:

Agreed. I don't personally find the locking levers too difficult to manipulate, but any improvements would be welcome.  Seems like half of the "problems" with the Leap could be fixed with a minor changes to the plastic. 

us Offline Jonmustang

Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 07:33:28 PM
WOW, this forum must be good luck for me!  Just this morning, after months of being MIA, I found my CS4 under the couch.  Here are some further comparisons for anyone interested:

Bigger pliers:

Wider, stiffer knife blade:

Thick pliers without the tool being much thicker:

Scissors and saws.  Turns out both saws aren't very aggressive, so I partially take back what I said about the Leap's saw.  It's still rather short, however, which limits its use.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 07:54:37 PM
For me, I think the handles are too short for such size of pliers head, it has the same head as the Rev yet handles of Leap are much shorter. Something isn't right there.

A juice size pliers isn't big enough for a little kid but enough for nutnfancy?  :think:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 10:02:50 PM
Many thanks for the pics, man!!!  :tu: :tu: :tu:

us Offline Jonmustang

Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 10:29:47 PM
For me, I think the handles are too short for such size of pliers head, it has the same head as the Rev yet handles of Leap are much shorter. Something isn't right there.

A juice size pliers isn't big enough for a little kid but enough for nutnfancy?  :think:

I agree with you on that -- the proportions are a bit odd for an adult's hand.  That being said, if I squeeze down hard on the Juice, the pliers flex noticeably.  I recall they twisted a bit once when trying to cut something awkward, like a dowel or nylon cord.  On the Leap, however, there is little to no flex, even though my pinky finger sorta slides off the end of the handle.  I figure I can get most of my full grip strength without my pinky anyway. 

They're both great tools, of course.  I'm certainly not going to throw one away (again, haha).  I just believe the Leap is a little too good to be thought of as only a kid's tool. Hopefully my mods turn out well and/or Leatherman keeps working on the design.

us Offline buck

Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 11:07:23 PM
A lot will be riding on how strong and resilient the plastic will hold up under extended use.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline buck

Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 11:38:01 PM

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline buck

Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 11:39:34 PM
I think it might be time to become a favorite uncle buck

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline Jonmustang

Reply #22 on: April 18, 2015, 12:00:01 AM
A lot will be riding on how strong and resilient the plastic will hold up under extended use.

Absolutely.  I just noticed that the unlocking button on the scale has a plastic pin on the backside that actuates the lock release.  In the unlikely event that plastic pin wears down or breaks, the tool would be stuck open.  I'm tempted to somehow use it without the scales, or make some minimal, custom scales.

Can anyone point me towards some info on how to determine the right Torx hardware to replace rivets on multitools? Do most modders just buy a variety of widths and lengths and try em out after disassembling?

us Offline buck

Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 08:29:16 AM
From Leatherman website, it sounds like they have a sturdy plastic.  I'd be surprised if they didn't torture test it and do their homework. 

Glass-filled Nylon
A thermoplastic material where strength is improved by adding chopped glass fibers. This allows for excellent durability without adding significant weight. In Leatherman knives, the glass-filled nylon handles are so strong that an inner steel frame is not required, thereby reducing weight for a lighter every day carry. Leatherman uses a 60% glass mix.

But it signals the "Glockification" of Leatherman like all gun manufacturers are doing.  Get the all steel ones while you can.  They may get phased out over time.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 09:54:01 PM

Nice comparison, thanks! I was thinking of a Juice to carry to work mainly to cut fruits to snack on, I guess I should also consider the Leap. I have a bad habit of chewing my finger nails so I can see that it will be easier to get the Leap blade out than the Juice. But I like the shape of the Juice blade better.

I agree, it's almost perfect. An adult version of the Leap would be awesome. Also, why no can opener in the Leap. Boy scouts eat beans, right?

us Offline BASguy

Reply #25 on: April 19, 2015, 09:56:44 PM
If the plastic is a PVC variant, I'm quite certain it would stand up to some very heavy abuse.  I can't see much of a downside to it if it's well constructed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline rishardh

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: April 19, 2015, 09:58:21 PM

BTW, noticed the made in USA Jeans...  nice:)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%