Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox blade swap from 93mm > 91mm > 84mm

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Victorinox blade swap from 93mm > 91mm > 84mm
on: April 17, 2015, 02:02:47 PM
The electrician's blade is available in all three size knives, although the 84mm is no longer produced and the 91mm is only available in the SwissChamp XL(+).

The pruner blade is only available in 91mm SwissChamp XL(+) and the 93mm.

What hurdles would there be in putting a pruner blade from a 93mm into an 84mm?  Hole size seems like is relatively easy to compensate from mod posts I've seen by putting in a brass filler plug and re-drilling.
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: Victorinox blade swap from 93mm > 91mm > 84mm
Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 02:25:39 PM
The pivot issue you can solve as you mentioned, the bigger concern I could have is to make sure there is enough clearance and the sharp part of the pruner doesnt go to far inside and hit the spring hump in the middle and damage the blade.

Its so much harder to put tools on the 84 size you cant mix and match springs as easily.  When they changed the opener layer spring a couple years ago to not have normal pivot ends that was the last straw for me as only the blade layer spring could then be used for other tools.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 02:54:40 PM
The pivot issue you can solve as you mentioned, the bigger concern I could have is to make sure there is enough clearance and the sharp part of the pruner doesnt go to far inside and hit the spring hump in the middle and damage the blade.

Its so much harder to put tools on the 84 size you cant mix and match springs as easily.  When they changed the opener layer spring a couple years ago to not have normal pivot ends that was the last straw for me as only the blade layer spring could then be used for other tools.

Is this change in the 84mm opener layer spring discussed in a thread here?  I'd like to know more.  Your making great stuff with the 93mm and 91mm including Alox.
:tu:
 I really like the 84mm and wish we had more options.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 03:38:57 PM
They changed to the annoying kind that only works with the specific opener versions they were designed for.  New one on top.  the older style is more friendly to modding as more than just the specific shape tool can be used.

Its very hard to put new tools on the 84mm size and way more trouble then its worth.  Due to insane demand though I will have to revisit them in the future.  People want bantams and cadets with scissors added, so next time I make backsprings I will make some for 84 to add scissors.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:41:14 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 03:52:30 PM
Useful to know and now I can see the differences looking down into a couple of knives.  Not as obvious what they had done until you look at the parts side by side.   :tu:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 04:32:39 PM
Useful to know and now I can see the differences looking down into a couple of knives.  Not as obvious what they had done until you look at the parts side by side.   :tu:

It makes a big difference.  Say on the old syle I could swap a can opener for a small blade.. Try putting a small blade on the new spring and it doesnt work at all.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 07:51:42 PM

It makes a big difference.  Say on the old syle I could swap a can opener for a small blade.. Try putting a small blade on the new spring and it doesnt work at all.

Syph007, your knowledge working these mods is great, especially with the 84mm's!  Thanks much!

I've slowly started modding.  I have an 84mm Apprentice mod now...works great.

However, figuring out the complimentary tools, springs, and backside tools is the challenge as you state, with the 84mm line.  I'm a firm 84mm carrier.  The 91mm just don't feel right for me.

I'm a simple guy when it comes to pocket knives.  I've only carried SAKs in the pocket after 40yrs, and don't really care for pocket clips, or bigger knives.  Multitools can live on the belt with a big knife if necessary, but for daily use, the 84mm's just fit for me.

I'm working up to doing an Alox job; either a Cadet with 84mm scissors, or an Alox version of the Golfer (ie, Voyageur). Then next on the list is a Golfer/Scientist project.  As always, figuring out the springs and minimizing the backspring tools is the key.

Thank your for all your pictures and information...invaluable!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

4rmless

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 11:04:16 AM
They changed to the annoying kind that only works with the specific opener versions they were designed for.  New one on top.  the older style is more friendly to modding as more than just the specific shape tool can be used.

(Image removed from quote.)

Its very hard to put new tools on the 84mm size and way more trouble then its worth.  Due to insane demand though I will have to revisit them in the future.  People want bantams and cadets with scissors added, so next time I make backsprings I will make some for 84 to add scissors.

Not 100% just from looking, but if you take two of the new version springs, do they tessellate when one is flipped over? Could be the reason for the change if it increases the number that can be cut from one sheet?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 03:54:00 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Not 100% just from looking, but if you take two of the new version springs, do they tessellate when one is flipped over? Could be the reason for the change if it increases the number that can be cut from one sheet?

Ya that would at least make sense and would be a practical reason.  Quite plausible I think.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62