Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Was out playing with the DSLR again

detron · 59 · 4108

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Was out playing with the DSLR again
on: April 18, 2015, 07:29:14 AM
was just out playing again,  I seem to learn more and more about the camera every time I use it

just sharing here,  since I am new, constructive feedback is very welcome.  I am learning the manual side of my camera, and I really like it, but I have a long way to go there.

If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Was out playing with the DSLR again
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 01:10:20 PM
What lenses do you have know detron?
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 01:13:45 PM
Looks like you are getting the hang of it! Great pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline detron

Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:03:44 PM
What lenses do you have know detron?

the the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM  and Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:14:22 PM
You can't go wrong with those.

Last week I found a Canon 580 EX II speedlight at the local pawn shop for 100 dollars. Probably my best find in a pawn shop to date.

us Offline detron

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:45:53 PM
You can't go wrong with those.

Last week I found a Canon 580 EX II speedlight at the local pawn shop for 100 dollars. Probably my best find in a pawn shop to date.

sounds like a great find!   :tu:    I am very pleased with these two lenses,  my biggest issue is no matter what lens is on the camera, I suddenly seem to need the other one.

but I am very pleased with them so far. 

also, the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM is doing a good job on macro (since I cannot afford a true macro lens)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 10:19:09 PM
I can't offer anything other than to say great photos,particularly those of the bird(a Corbin of some sort?) and the tree!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline detron

Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 12:33:51 AM
I can't offer anything other than to say great photos,particularly those of the bird(a Corbin of some sort?) and the tree!

thanks kirk,  the bird is a red winged black-bird as described here

I am learning the camera, and see faults in my photos, that I hope to slowly avoid in the future.

thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 12:41:00 AM
Try not to over think things while out shooting, as you don't want to take away form the enjoyment.  Things that are difficult now, will come easily later down the road.  Soon enough you'll be thinking in f-stops, and be able to picture in your mind how the image will look at different settings.

us Offline detron

Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 12:48:28 AM
Try not to over think things while out shooting, as you don't want to take away form the enjoyment.  Things that are difficult now, will come easily later down the road.  Soon enough you'll be thinking in f-stops, and be able to picture in your mind how the image will look at different settings.

that is what I am trying to learn now (f stops),  I do ignore everything else while out,  then I get back and some times go  :facepalm:  especially when I tilt the camera 30 degrees or more and I cannot figure out why   :think:   

I hope to go out with the tripod here soon, and take the same exact picture (subject unknown) over and over with different shutter speeds, aperture settings, etc, so I can come back and compare.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 05:09:17 AM
Set the camera on a tripod...then set the camera to Aperture Priority mode. Take a photo at each Aperture using one of your lenses...then switch the lens. Then compare results of each photo. That should give you a good idea of the Depth of field you can expect with your lenses.

Once you have that figured out, you can set the camera to Program mode and then switch your aperture and shutter speed combinations depending on what you want. After a while, you won't even have to think about it much.

us Offline detron

Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 05:30:45 AM
Set the camera on a tripod...then set the camera to Aperture Priority mode. Take a photo at each Aperture using one of your lenses...then switch the lens. Then compare results of each photo. That should give you a good idea of the Depth of field you can expect with your lenses.

Once you have that figured out, you can set the camera to Program mode and then switch your aperture and shutter speed combinations depending on what you want. After a while, you won't even have to think about it much.

thanks Chako,  I will do just that as soon as I get a nice day and time.

on a side note, I installed Magic Lantern  if you have a camera that is supported and wanted to test drive it,  the install is very simple, and completely removable. 

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 05:46:36 AM
Wow, I've owned and used everything from 110 to 8X10 but I'm lost around all these new digital cameras....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 12:54:22 PM
That is one thing I do not like doing, adding software to a camera for added functionality. I figure the software that comes with the camera from the factory is usually very stable and correct, and the last thing I would want is for a camera to go down due to software issues.

SAK Guy, think of a digital camera as a camera that replaces the film for a digital light sensor. You get instant feedback, and you can shoot for a very long time depending on your memory card size. You will need a computer and a printer if you want to print hard copies, or you can go like the traditional route and hand over your memory card to a photo-finisher just like in the old days. If you did a lot of darkroom stuff, you can do that with Digital. All you need is a digital darkroom software such as Adobe Photoshop, which gives you complete control over every aspect...something that wet chemistry never could offer.

If you are a film shooter, transitioning to digital isn't such a big leap. The camera will still work the same as any other camera. The hardest part maybe playing with a copy of Photoshop. However, if you want to just touch up your photos, the knowledge for that isn't that difficult to aquire, or to experiment with.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 01:01:40 PM
Everything you know about shooting with film applies to digital as well.  Photoshop is a very powerful program, and also expensive.  There are other cheaper or even free ones that are easy to use.  Myself, I use Lightroom for 99% of my work.  It's a photo library, and also a great and easy to use editor.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 04:00:58 PM
Sorry guys, I wasn't clear at all. Used Photoshop since the mid 90's but it was with scanned B+W prints and color transparencies. I designed, researched and then supported our Mac digital pre-press system at the university back in '94. Tried (very poorly) to say that these ultra sophisticated DSLR's with all the menus and software/upgrades are alien to me and although I shot EOS film cameras at the University (Staff Photographer), most of my personal cameras don't even have built in/operational meters. Still using a 35 year old Gossen Luna Pro SBC meter to measure light but honestly, I can estimate most exposure settings based on 43 years of experience.

Do want a new digital but can't seem to commit to all the technology involved..geez, auto focus/exposure is all I want in one :facepalm: 

My current digital is a 5 year old fixed focus pocket camera (near/far switch).

Chako, that is excellent advice and shows your clear knowledge of the subject!!  :salute:

D-Mac, excellent advice as well and thanks for the tip on Lightroom. My new computer won't run my tired old freebie copy of Photoshop. It was a limited/free copy that I got with a printer back in the 90's. Can't afford Photoshop so now using the free software "FastStone" but it's limited and my photos are suffering. Might look at Lightroom.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 04:06:17 PM
Lightroom goes on sale every now and then, or you can find discount codes for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 04:37:48 PM
Thanks buddy!!!  :salute:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline detron

Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 12:59:13 AM
That is one thing I do not like doing, adding software to a camera for added functionality. I figure the software that comes with the camera from the factory is usually very stable and correct, and the last thing I would want is for a camera to go down due to software issues.

I was hesitant,  but here is what convinced me to try it.

1.  it is not permanent, easily removed.
2.  it does not replace the Canon software, just adds too it, and you can turn it off completely if you want to.
3.  Canon said it will not void my warranty, unless it is proven that the software was the cause of the failure, they support the users freedoms to maximize their experience.
4.  it added things I could not get without buying a more expensive camera, which was not an option.  time lapse, shutter release on motion detect, etc.

I have the software on all my SD cards, but I uninstalled the software from the camera after a day, so I can focus on learning what I need too.  however it would just take 2 minutes to re-install the software just using the camera, so if I need it, I can get it back no matter where I am.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 21, 2015, 01:42:09 PM

thanks Chako,  I will do just that as soon as I get a nice day and time.

on a side note, I installed Magic Lantern  if you have a camera that is supported and wanted to test drive it,  the install is very simple, and completely removable.
this is cool! Unfortunate,y I have an older camera... The 40D

us Offline detron

Reply #20 on: April 23, 2015, 12:31:47 AM
Went to see the Dino bones today!   :ahhh   it was a blast.

the first two pictures were actually taken with the cell phone, one of those panoramas that get stitched together.

the rest are with the DSLR

the museum is in an old post office

here is what is above the door.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 02:31:01 AM by detron »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 12:38:25 AM
Really really nice shots D!!!!  :cheers:
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt

us Offline detron

Reply #22 on: April 23, 2015, 12:57:02 AM
I also went to the Main Museum, and since I am not in a major city, I was pleasantly surprised.

it was a dark and gloomy day...  (but My white balance made it even more so)  I love the cooler look personally.

this display looked very nice,  but some ugly dude with a camera photo-bombed it!    :rofl:

us Offline detron

Reply #23 on: April 23, 2015, 01:09:31 AM
While waiting on the Museums to open,  I enjoyed the lake front

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #24 on: April 23, 2015, 01:29:40 AM
Very nice pics! Please keep em coming

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: April 23, 2015, 01:43:29 AM
I really like the flying ducks pic.  :2tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 01:52:52 AM
Great pics d, what is that River rock tower ?

us Offline detron

Reply #27 on: April 23, 2015, 02:14:00 AM
Great pics d, what is that River rock tower ?

I had to look it up,  but

A remnant once of once-mighty American Motors Lakefront Plant sits a midst parkland and boats bobbing in the Kenosha marina - a reminder of what once stood here

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: April 23, 2015, 03:08:32 AM

Hope you don't mind, just showing what a little quick tweaking can do. And I do mean real quick. The background is blown...but that can be fixed with a little more time and effort.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 03:10:23 AM by Chako »

us Offline detron

Reply #29 on: April 23, 2015, 03:34:08 AM

Hope you don't mind, just showing what a little quick tweaking can do. And I do mean real quick. The background is blown...but that can be fixed with a little more time and effort.

I do not mind at all!  I am learning (slowly) dark table,  but I am also learning the camera, and currently that is taking a front seat in this car to photography utopia.

what setting did you adjust?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69