Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AAA Models that are QTC or 1 Setting

Joe58 · 16 · 1656

us Offline Joe58

AAA Models that are QTC or 1 Setting
on: April 18, 2015, 07:43:27 PM
Trying to track down the current single AAA lights that are either QTC, or twist to turn on. Not with the programming. When I turn the light on, I just want the high setting and that's it. I don't care for having to step thru the various levels.

Anyway, there just doesn't seem to be much selection out like this any longer. Or at least models with a decent output. About everything seems to have programming.

I've the Peak Eiger Ultra, which are good lights, and the Thrunite TiS from a couple years ago that is just twist on. Both these lights have decent brightness for me. The Thrunights all seem to be programmed now. Man, there model numbers for their lights are goofy. The Fenix E05 is ok but a bit lacking in brightness compared to the other two I mentioned.

Are there other suggestions to check out? This is more want than need. Haven't purchased a new light to play with for awhile. Lol.

I should mention I carry my light clipped to a Vic Minichamp in my front left pocket. So it doesn't need to be teeny.

And I run the ultimate lithium AAA batteries. Not ready to mess with other types of batteries.

Thanks guys! Joe
🇨🇭

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: AAA Models that are QTC or 1 Setting
Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:03:13 PM
Careful, the new Fenix E05 is a multi-level light now as well.  I'll have to give this some thought. :think:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:32:04 PM
Not a single mode light, but the Inova XS comes on in High (80 Lumen) first. https://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-XS-LED-Flashlight.asp

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 08:58:24 PM
Olight i7r ?

It can use lithium batteries... it starts at 120 lumens, I think, but for about twenty minutes. Then it goes to 1 lumen for seventeen hours or so. Never tried it myself.

http://goinggear.com/olight-i7r-eos-ti-1-x-aaa-10440-cree-xp-g2-120-lumen-titanium-rechargeable-dual-output-led-keychain-flashlight.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 09:23:20 PM
A little bit out of left field perhaps, but perhaps a Solarforce X3?

us Offline Joe58

Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:26:04 PM
Careful, the new Fenix E05 is a multi-level light now as well.  I'll have to give this some thought. :think:

Yes, I stand corrected. Went and looked at one of mine in the drawer.

That Olight looks interesting. It's two levels. Maybe I'm just being too old fashioned with not wanting all the extra settings and stuff. Lol.
🇨🇭

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 09:29:03 PM
There is also the Blackshadow EVA 1xAAA that might suit you.  I've got to say I've not tried any of these lights, just trying to find something that might suit your needs.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 09:29:20 PM
Well, yeah, maybe it'll be difficult to find a one-level one :think: But with the Olight running on high for just twenty minutes... it's a one-level light for me, lol. I mean, if you really do need 120 (and you need a bright light from what I got), you'll hardly need to go to the second 1-lumen level.

Otherwise I could only come up with the Fenix E01 and the Maglite Soiltaire LED, lol.

Offline Ryo Saeba

Reply #8 on: April 18, 2015, 09:50:55 PM
Not a single mode light, but the Inova XS comes on in High (80 Lumen) first. https://www.niteize.com/product/INOVA-XS-LED-Flashlight.asp

I just got one of theses and it's pretty great.

us Offline Joe58

Reply #9 on: April 18, 2015, 11:48:46 PM
I can see that you guys are going to quickly cost me some money since the Olight seems pretty nice. 120 lumens is kinda hard to believe. I've found around 80 or so is plenty.

And the Niteize and EVA appear to be worth a look as well.

I knew I shouldn't have posted my question.  :facepalm:

Thanks guys for the help!
🇨🇭

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 01:48:45 AM
If you'd want to go even smaller than AAA, have a look at the Veleno Designs Quantum D2.

Comes with a tiny rechargeable battery and USB charger, twisty with QTC, and quite a lot of brightness ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 04:54:48 PM
Hi

Every single failed/faulty LED flashlight or lantern I've ever owned it seems the electronics failed.

I do have basic electrical and electronics knowledge, better than average at least, so in at least 3 cases I was able to determine:
a) Not a battery issue
b) Not an LED failure
c) not a switch failure
d) General conductor continuity intact.

In these cases  the switch only sends a pulse/signal (0 becomes 1, open circuit is closed) to the electronics.
My knowledge might be lacking, but my logic tells me that if you have power, it's getting where it should and the LED still works, then the electronics are at fault.

I have switches from aircraft radios and other avionics that are older than me and still work 100%  ???

For this reason I buy affordable headlamps and use them to death, and easily resist the temptation to buy the retina-burning plane-downing torches on the market today. :P

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 10:58:17 PM
Peak Eiger.

Personally, I like single-mode AAA lights with runtimes in the 3-6 hour (or more) region.  A Peak Eiger power level #4 fits the bill perfectly, and you won't find a better-made light.

I've tried QTC models, and the material just doesn't hold up well.  Granted, if the QTC fails the light will still work, but if the light is direct-drive the runtime will be very short.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:02:13 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

ca Offline Miknitro

Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 03:12:45 AM
Honestly biased post.

Pelican 1910 gen 1 has a single mode, gen 2 has a dual mode. Gen 1 might be hard to find now though.
If only clicked on and off, you only get one mode.
Gen 1 was one mode and limited to 67 lumens I think, Gen 2 got a slight bump to 72 lumens on high.
Cheap, semi small and no heartache if lost.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 11:03:18 AM

I've gone for the single mode Thrunite Ti2 V2 to replace a TiS which was on my black EDC setup which I lost  :facepalm:

Gone with NW over CW just to be different.  Might be better called warm white.  Not to everybody's taste but I'm not unhappy with it.

ca Offline Miknitro

Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 02:51:58 PM

I've gone for the single mode Thrunite Ti2 V2 to replace a TiS which was on my black EDC setup which I lost  :facepalm:

Gone with NW over CW just to be different.  Might be better called warm white.  Not to everybody's taste but I'm not unhappy with it.
It seems those in the know prefer the NW, or WW, myself I still prefer CW.
It's all good in the end as long it lights up what you need it to.
Nice light BTW, grats.
It'll need a thread to show it off.

As well, the OP wanted a single mode, maybe perfect??

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD