Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why the Rebar and ST300 are the best cutting MT (for me)

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Up until recently, my favorite MT cutting tool was the SAK One Handed Trekker. The locking mechanism is good. And I have XXL mitts, so in comparison to traditional SAKs, the extra length + the thumb ramp gives me a better grip on the knife with finer control.

The OHT works good enough for me, that I don't feel the need to carry a separate folder.

Not true for many of the MT plier based tools I have used. In comparison, medium to large size plier-based mulitools tend to work better than a traditional SAK because of the thicker grip, but what kind of grip ergonomics do you really get from a rectangular block of metal with a knife sticking out the end, such as with the Wave?

Many times when I use the knife, I find myself wanting a good folder for the better handle ergonomics.

When I got the Rebar last week, I knew I was trading off quick knife deployment. In some ways I like the knife coming out of the top handle with the Rebar so I can get my thumb out on it (as opposed to the Wave) for a bit finer control, and so I can keep the heel of my thumb off the unlocking pad. But then with the extra handle on the bottom, it makes it difficult for some cutting tasks:

And then I realized something. One doesn't have to have the pliers unfolded all the way to use the cutting tools on the Rebar:

This makes for a completely different grip ergonomics. I can get my thumb out for the finer control like I like, choke up better on the front of the knife with my forefinger, and then the plier head and joint acts together as a palm swell, giving me a good grip with lots of control.

Note with the SOGs PowerLock, which I also previously used, because of the compression plier setup, it's impossible to leave the pliers tucked into one side and thus rather awkward to try to use in this manner: 

The ST300, which I also recently got, works well deployed like I did the Rebar:

However, because of the length of the ST300, it might not work out as well for someone with smaller hands. (I'd be curious to know.)

I know. This may seem an obvious use for Rebar and ST300 owners (and certainly Core and other ancestors MTs). But I think others might be surprised. Sure, for quick cutting jobs, blades that can be deployed from the outside on plier-based MTs without opening the pliers have an advantage. But for more fine controlled use of a blade--which includes the saw--I'll take the Rebar or ST300. And I no longer feel like I'm sacrificing so much if I don't carry a regular folder, too.

I'm also wondering if any MTs with pliers have been designed exclusively such that you only use the blades (and perhaps other tools) with handles and plier head in this configuration. It might allow for a different style of locking mechanism. Probably could also go with a bit thicker, chunkier design that would be too uncomfortable with both handles put together (as the Wave above). 

« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 12:56:45 AM by raistlin65 »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Why the Rebar and ST300 are the best cutting MT (for me)
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 01:16:34 AM
This is one of the main reasons why the ST300 is my preferred work MT.  :tu:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:48 AM
Great post and pics, I too use this method fairly often  :tu:

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 01:36:41 AM
I've never even thought of using it like that.  Next time I carry it, I'll give it a go.

Great post BTW!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 01:39:36 AM
For a real good 'no hand sliding forward or thumb on the locking tab' type grip just open the pliers fully.  ;)

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 01:47:45 AM
For a real good 'no hand sliding forward or thumb on the locking tab' type grip just open the pliers fully.  ;)

Good idea  :tu:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 04:53:17 AM
This type of versatility is why I tend to prefer the classic Leatherman "tools on the inside" design :tu:
K-Tibbs

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: April 23, 2015, 05:10:29 AM
Interesting discussion.  :tu:
For my small hands, Skeletool's knife works for me the best in the MT world.

IMG_3784.JPG
* IMG_3784.JPG (Filesize: 372.29 KB)
IMG_3785.JPG
* IMG_3785.JPG (Filesize: 341.64 KB)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:00:40 AM by Kampfer »
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 23, 2015, 12:14:06 PM
I used that grip with my Core many times, but mostly when I wanted some reach.

Interesting discussion.  :tu:
For my small hands, Skeletool's knife works for me the best in the MT world.

Just as good in XXL hands  8)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 03:35:16 PM
Personally, I would prefer a bladeless MT and a dedicated folder  :P

That said, good catch, never thought about this. Just tested, the Spirit can also easily be used in the half open for comfy gripping :tu:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 06:04:58 PM
That said, good catch, never thought about this. Just tested, the Spirit can also easily be used in the half open for comfy gripping :tu:

Awesome  :cheers:

It would be interesting if there was more discussion (not here, necessarily) of grip ergonomics for use with the various tools. I hear in reviews discussion of how well the pliers work in that regard, but not so much about how easy it is to torque a screw with a particular MT, or finer considerations of how easily one can manipulate the blade.

us Offline Inzelique

• If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:01:30 AM
You can also unfold the ST300 like this to reach out with the blade while holding the back half.  I've used this method a couple times to cut plastic wrap I couldn't reach.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 12:59:56 AM
Now THAT is a great comparison!

I never thought to hold them open actually. I traded/sold off my ST300 and PST2 partly because I couldn't cut level with main straight edge of the blade

And the only thing near me is my Wave to compare the grip

Here is how NOT to do it

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 01:51:03 AM
Now THAT is a great comparison!

I never thought to hold them open actually. I traded/sold off my ST300 and PST2 partly because I couldn't cut level with main straight edge of the blade

And the only thing near me is my Wave to compare the grip

Here is how NOT to do it (Image removed from quote.)

Owww! That makes me cringe just looking at the picture of your hand up by the edge of the blade like that with that grip.

Which reminds me that the splayed handle grip (seems like a good name for it) of the Rebar, ST300, etc. would be much better for any sort of stabbing motion or other cutting jobs with an MT where your hand might move foward. Not only is your hand back from the blade edge compared to a normal grip, but the joint with the swell of the pliers allows you to anchor your hand back more firmly. Particularly with a stabbing motion, it would easy for the hand to slip forward onto the blade, although obviously much more likely with the plier-based MTs like the Wave with the knife opening from the bottom grip of the handle like that.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 02:43:48 AM

Personally, I would prefer a bladeless MT and a dedicated folder  :P

+1  MultiTool blades suck in general.  I really like my Spirit butter blade for its overall utility, but ergonomics sucks.  For general cutting tasks it's the Pioneer in my pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 02:46:15 AM
I've used this technique for years with my PST and Supertool to get that extra inch needed for a screwdriver to reach. I'd be kind of nervous using this grip with a non locking tool
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 07:26:24 PM
I don't have a Micra, but based on this picture I found at Bladeforums, it looks like the handle can be extended. Bit awkward, but better than not at all given the small size of the Micra:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: April 28, 2015, 07:27:26 PM
I don't have a Micra, but based on this picture I found at Bladeforums, it looks like the handle can be extended. Bit awkward, but better than not at all given the small size of the Micra:

(Image removed from quote.)
Yes, the Micra's blade is more usable this way.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD