Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heavy Metal Club

magentus · 596 · 27114

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Heavy Metal Club
Reply #240 on: August 26, 2016, 02:56:17 PM
More classic FNM - thanks syncop8r  :cheers::
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #241 on: August 26, 2016, 04:52:07 PM
I love the melodic and melancholic sound of certain Finnish metal bands like Insomnium, Sentenced, Before the dawn / Wolfheart / Black sun aeon (hats off to mr. Tuomas Saukkonen), Amorphis (all their eras),...

Also, I spontaneously narrowed down my taste in metal - not every band or song sounds good to me just because they're metal. For example, I just can't resonate with the "most modern" metal bands like The Unguided or Sonic Syndicate. It just sounds too shallow and modernly wanna-be-hardcore-and-spectacular to me. It's like their songs don't differ at all and try too hard to incorporate completely different atmospheres, even when it sounds clumsy. First they have the wanna-be-brutal-and-dark-death metal verses, with the vocals sounding like a kid trying too hard to sound like a death metal beast, only to be followed by a cheerful poppy chorus with completely clean vocals without any relation to the aforementioned verses. Don't get me wrong, I love blending different styles and emotions, as long as it is done with a taste and congruity, but 80% of this modern metal sounds just plain artificial and boring.

Even the old "players" can become dull and not interesting anymore - for example, I have a lot of respect for Peter Tägtgren, but his last 3 PAIN albums sounds exactly the same - a bit too boring- you hear those songs twice and you've had enough.

Fortunately, metal never stops evolving. Bands come and go, there is a constant flow of new and interesting bands that are waiting to be discovered.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #242 on: August 26, 2016, 06:44:39 PM
I love the melodic and melancholic sound of certain Finnish metal bands like Insomnium, Sentenced, Before the dawn / Wolfheart / Black sun aeon (hats off to mr. Tuomas Saukkonen), Amorphis (all their eras),...

Also, I spontaneously narrowed down my taste in metal - not every band or song sounds good to me just because they're metal. For example, I just can't resonate with the "most modern" metal bands like The Unguided or Sonic Syndicate. It just sounds too shallow and modernly wanna-be-hardcore-and-spectacular to me. It's like their songs don't differ at all and try too hard to incorporate completely different atmospheres, even when it sounds clumsy. First they have the wanna-be-brutal-and-dark-death metal verses, with the vocals sounding like a kid trying too hard to sound like a death metal beast, only to be followed by a cheerful poppy chorus with completely clean vocals without any relation to the aforementioned verses. Don't get me wrong, I love blending different styles and emotions, as long as it is done with a taste and congruity, but 80% of this modern metal sounds just plain artificial and boring.

Even the old "players" can become dull and not interesting anymore - for example, I have a lot of respect for Peter Tägtgren, but his last 3 PAIN albums sounds exactly the same - a bit too boring- you hear those songs twice and you've had enough.

Fortunately, metal never stops evolving. Bands come and go, there is a constant flow of new and interesting bands that are waiting to be discovered.
Plenty of names there that are regularly spun on the wife's radio show and in this house.

I don't mind the way Pain hasn't changed. He has Hypocrisy for a different outlet. That being said I find that happy/easy going Pain type tracks have a better chance of ending up in the car/driving mixes than other harder stuff that I do like. That being said, there's usually a standout track or two on each Pain album that is a tad better than the rest.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #243 on: August 26, 2016, 09:53:51 PM
Wintersun: Winter Madness

"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #244 on: August 26, 2016, 10:00:00 PM
"Hoarder of weirdness,

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #245 on: August 27, 2016, 02:43:15 AM
Speaking of new releases there's still nothing on the Tool horizon. Come on lads - pull your socks up.  :pok:
While we wait, lets listen to some Mastodon:
From the mighty Leviathan album:

And from Crack the Skye:

I like me some Mastodon. :tu:
:cheers: pop some Mastodon up then dude!  :pok: What's your favourite song? Album? I think they're amazing - you never know where a song is going. I'm currently listening to Crack the Skye all the way through.

I really enjoy Oblivion from Crack the Skye actually, which i suppose is my favorite album as well.

Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

hr Offline styx

Reply #246 on: August 27, 2016, 09:27:33 AM
not sure where this falls but damn it reminds me i need a good bender

Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #247 on: August 27, 2016, 02:55:01 PM
Speaking of new releases there's still nothing on the Tool horizon. Come on lads - pull your socks up.  :pok:
While we wait, lets listen to some Mastodon:
From the mighty Leviathan album:

And from Crack the Skye:

I like me some Mastodon. :tu:
:cheers: pop some Mastodon up then dude!  :pok: What's your favourite song? Album? I think they're amazing - you never know where a song is going. I'm currently listening to Crack the Skye all the way through.

I really enjoy Oblivion from Crack the Skye actually, which i suppose is my favorite album as well.

Do you know why they sing about Karelia? Cause that's a part of Finland that was lost in the war with Soviet Union...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 02:56:46 PM by Aleph78 »
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #248 on: August 27, 2016, 02:59:21 PM

Symphony X: Paradise Lost
"Hoarder of weirdness,

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #249 on: August 31, 2016, 01:22:55 PM
Riffmungus!

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #250 on: September 01, 2016, 01:18:28 PM

Down and troubled, in search for better days
back to the beginning, I'm at the end again
all of my time, compressed to itching moments
as the future repeats today

anyway

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #251 on: September 01, 2016, 01:26:30 PM

Down and troubled, in search for better days
back to the beginning, I'm at the end again
all of my time, compressed to itching moments
as the future repeats today

anyway

That's some heavy riffage Sub - Tizzle \II/

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #252 on: September 01, 2016, 07:58:45 PM
In Flames: Cloud Connected...

"Hoarder of weirdness,

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #253 on: September 01, 2016, 08:17:49 PM
"Hoarder of weirdness,

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #254 on: September 02, 2016, 04:05:34 PM

those guys sound familiar...  :think:
inflames.jpg
* inflames.jpg (Filesize: 111.26 KB)

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #255 on: September 02, 2016, 10:39:29 PM

Nice! I guess that was around 2002?

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #256 on: September 03, 2016, 12:22:20 AM
 :whistle:
DSCF0363.jpg
* DSCF0363.jpg (Filesize: 138 KB)

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #257 on: September 03, 2016, 06:19:36 AM
:whistle:

Now that's some really heavy metal, eh?  :P  Even the ST300 is not heavy enough :P

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #258 on: September 03, 2016, 11:26:26 AM

Nice! I guess that was around 2002?
something like that... it's all a blur now.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #259 on: September 05, 2016, 06:55:01 PM

Canґt recognise myself
So torn apart
The scars and burning marks
On my skin while the real pain
Hurts deep within

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #260 on: September 06, 2016, 03:18:40 PM
Some old skool for today:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #261 on: September 19, 2016, 04:46:49 PM
Listening to the Holy Gift  - a reworking of Lateralus by Tool. The songs have been reordered to fit a sort of twin spiral fibonacci sequence - not sure what I think yet - it's still one of my favourite albums ever. Anyone listened to Lateralus this way?

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #262 on: September 26, 2016, 01:36:05 PM
Ahead of Fridays release of the new Opeth album, here's the beautiful and ethereal 'Will O the Wisp'

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #263 on: September 30, 2016, 03:05:35 PM
Just got back from successfully completing 'Operation Stockholm' with my daughter (which is basically buying the new Opeth album 'Sorceress' from HMV), sat here listening to it - very exciting. They continue to astound.

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #264 on: October 05, 2016, 10:44:58 PM
Now playing:

Insomnium - Winter's gate

They went for a change. Concept album (similar to Edge of Sanity's Crimson, for example), single 40 minutes long song. They kept some part of their typical Finnish melancholic melodeath sound, yet they added some almost-melodic-black sound and something else, I am not sure how to describe it, it may be even called a bit more progressive. The album is full of firm blastbeats - their most fierce drumwork ever. Niilo's growls never sounded so brutal. The heavy parts are divided by the proggy, dreamy acoustic passages. The atmosphere is quite cold, wintery. Their albums always had dreamy or melancholic sound (Since the day it all came down was their most wintery album up to date IMO), but this sounds even colder than most of the Norwegian '90s black metal.

Here is the beginning of the story behind the album (the sequels are on the "related videos" list):

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #265 on: October 05, 2016, 10:51:07 PM
Now playing:

Insomnium - Winter's gate

They went for a change. Concept album (similar to Edge of Sanity's Crimson, for example), single 40 minutes long song. They kept some part of their typical Finnish melancholic melodeath sound, yet they added some almost-melodic-black sound and something else, I am not sure how to describe it, it may be even called a bit more progressive. The album is full of firm blastbeats - their most fierce drumwork ever. Niilo's growls never sounded so brutal. The heavy parts are divided by the proggy, dreamy acoustic passages. The atmosphere is quite cold, wintery. Their albums always had dreamy or melancholic sound (Since the day it all came down was their most wintery album up to date IMO), but this sounds even colder than most of the Norwegian '90s black metal.

Here is the beginning of the story behind the album (the sequels are on the "related videos" list):

Sounds interesting Sub-Tizzle - I will give it a listen to - love a bit of death prog  :cheers:

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #266 on: October 06, 2016, 02:22:45 AM
I haven't given it a proper listen yet, we had it on in the car during a recent roadtrip, but not at a volume to appreciate it in it's entirety (and headphones is nearly always better, plus some of the road noise over quieter parts).

I am and have been a big fan of EoS and the Crimson album. They did some really good stuff long before anyone else and the sound still stands up strong all these years later.

A lot of new releases have fallen a bit short for me lately and the album that has my attention mostly at the moment is Oracles "Miserycorde", here's a track:

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #267 on: October 10, 2016, 09:07:00 PM
A lot of new releases have fallen a bit short for me lately and the album that has my attention mostly at the moment is Oracles "Miserycorde", here's a track:

Not bad, interesting mix of sounds/styles (in some parts it even sounds like crushingly, like old-school Aborted)!

I agree, EoS were indeed innovators (lots of respect for Dan Swano) and Crimson is a very interesting album. Few weeks ago I was listening to their "Purgatory Afterglow". Those riffs, that sharp old school Swedish DM guitar sound! That was a proper (melodic/progressive) death metal sound.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #268 on: October 11, 2016, 12:19:10 PM
I agree, EoS were indeed innovators (lots of respect for Dan Swano) and Crimson is a very interesting album. Few weeks ago I was listening to their "Purgatory Afterglow". Those riffs, that sharp old school Swedish DM guitar sound! That was a proper (melodic/progressive) death metal sound.
this is in my car tunes mix:

from 1994...  :o

hr Offline Subterranean

Reply #269 on: October 11, 2016, 07:56:14 PM
from 1994...  :o

Exactly!
In 1994, In Flames and Dark Tranquillity were nowhere near the self-confidence of Dan Swano & EoS or Carcass&Heartwork (although they were developing rapidly as musicians). He (Dan Swano) was one of the pioneers of the melodeath sound, the post-1994 Gothenburg scene further developed the sound.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%