Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Utility Blade Multi?

Demel · 10 · 1644

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Utility Blade Multi?
on: April 25, 2015, 03:56:19 AM
I'm curious to know why hasn't a company made a multi with a utility blade instead of regular blade? :think: I like the Milwaukee Fastback blade, but it would be nice in a multi tool. (Even similar to LM crater series)
If someobe did, I would check it out. Benefits? It would be easy to sharpen the blade (all you have to do is replace it lol), it is less aggressive to more knife sensitive people, and it would be unique to the marktet. Wishful thinking maybe. What are your thoughts?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Utility Blade Multi?
Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 04:26:45 AM
There is always the Gerber Groundbreaker.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 04:44:11 AM
I have recently been thinking the same thing, Demel. I was using my utility blade the other day and I got to thinking about how versatile they are. And being cheaply disposable adds more usability. Get a little over aggressive with your blade and snap off the end? Chuck it and put a new one in. Adding one to a MT would be great.

My needs (or preferences, I suppose) have really shifted since I first started EDCing a MT. When I bought my Wave I thought "oh cool, a plain blade AND a serrated blade on the same tool". Now I carry a dedicated folder and I think more like "why waste the space on TWO dedicated blades on a big, fat, uncomfortable MT - I want bigger scissors!" A good knife has a comfortable grip. I regard the Wave as a very comfy MT in comparison to most, but in knife mode it is severely lacking compared to a dedicated blade.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 06:04:05 AM
Possibly because it adds thickness. The LM surge comes with replaceable saw blades.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 06:09:21 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 07:14:13 AM
Not a plier based multi, but the Stanley 3 in 1 could be an option... 

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 07:20:33 AM
There is always the Gerber Groundbreaker.
Looks interesting but it seems more for an electrician.
Not a plier based multi, but the Stanley 3 in 1 could be an option... 

(Image removed from quote.)
I like the bit driver, but the saw seems...unnecessary. Scissors would be better.  :facepalm:

I have recently been thinking the same thing, Demel. I was using my utility blade the other day and I got to thinking about how versatile they are. And being cheaply disposable adds more usability. Get a little over aggressive with your blade and snap off the end? Chuck it and put a new one in. Adding one to a MT would be great.

My needs (or preferences, I suppose) have really shifted since I first started EDCing a MT. When I bought my Wave I thought "oh cool, a plain blade AND a serrated blade on the same tool". Now I carry a dedicated folder and I think more like "why waste the space on TWO dedicated blades on a big, fat, uncomfortable MT - I want bigger scissors!" A good knife has a comfortable grip. I regard the Wave as a very comfy MT in comparison to most, but in knife mode it is severely lacking compared to a dedicated blade.

Agreed. Good scissors are irreplaceable.
Possibly because it adds thickness. The LM surge comes with replaceable saw blades.

I wouldn't mind the extra thickness if has a purpose. Utility blade, scissors, a couple drivers, and pliers?  ??? This would be more for minimal carry.

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 09:41:38 AM
Metro did one... the GRFXMan

Super  :drool:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 03:06:44 PM
Saw this review. http://www.multitool.org/reviews/miscellaneous-tools-68/270-stanley-4-1.html looks good except the pliers aren't spring loaded.  :-\

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 08:00:52 PM
Does anyone else have any experience with it?

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 04:53:36 PM
You could always carry a smaller utility knife like a Gerber EAB and carry a P-51 and a Craftsman pocket screwdriver..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD