Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?

us Offline rescue4500

I myself carry a swiss army camper and a gerber crucial... what do you carry? and why? I find the camper with the mini corkscrew driver is great for me bc I wear glasses and the tools are perfect for hiking and I find that the crucial is very light and has a great blade.
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:57:49 PM
Mostly I go traditional with a Pioneer or a Farmer. There is also a Classic in my mini-FAK.
Also ordered a custom 93mm from Syph which I will call Alpinist, so that will be my future hiking tool.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:02:30 PM
I carried a og wave for years,mainly as it was all the tools you might need,these days my swisschamp,why? Because its the champ  :D usually carried in my sos pouch,but i think the spirit will come on my next camping adventure  :salute:

00 Offline cool123

Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:50:04 AM
I am planning to get  this Windlass multitool knife for my outdoor survival trips like camping, trekking, hiking or hunting as well. The multitool is ordered and I am waiting for its delivery and soon be posting the real photos.
Really excited about getting this multi purpose tools.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 09:21:56 AM
I tend to go light-ish, not ultra light by any means, but I try not to take the kitchen sink with me either.  With that in mind I normally carry a SAK, something like a Huntsman.  Mind you, there's a very good chance that if I'm camping I'll have an axe, saw and sheath knife on me as well. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 10:54:49 AM
Wenger Ranger: big blade, big saw.

de Offline matzesu

Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 11:10:01 AM
Böker Griplog for the Looking Blade, to cut the  salami for breakfast, and my Swisschamp XLT to open cans, Pull the "Heringe" whit the Multihook, or make some other funny things you only can doo whit a Swiss Army Knife..

I dosnt bother about the Extra Weight, because i weight myself something about 120 Pounts , so one ore two pounts more ore less dosnt matter..

Edit: hobbla, i just miscount my weight, its 60 kg whit clodts (and the Knifes in this cloths)..
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:16:57 AM by matzesu »
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 12:23:45 PM
LM Rebar and Vic Huntsman is a great camping combo for me! :tu:
darren

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 01:32:59 PM
LM Rebar and Vic Huntsman is a great camping combo for me! :tu:
   I agree I carried a rebar and camper up until I bought my crucial
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I usually do carry a Vic OHO Trekker on person during hikes, pretty much all the tools are relevant in a camping/backpacking/hiking trip.  Second choice on person will be something like a beater Huntsman/farmer/Climber.

I genuinely do prefer Vic products over LM products in most outdoor activities, since there is a chance of the tool touching sweat or seawater, and LM products do seem to rust more easy.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
I like to split it up so I can keep a small tool on me, and keep the rest in my pack.

Lately it's been my SAK Bushcrafter in my pocket and a PST2 in the pack.  Just recently, though, I've been thinking I might need to add scissors to that bushcrafter...

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
It varies as the the hike that's planned. Pocket carry will likely be a SAK or (much as I don't like them) a Juice. Pack carry will vary from sheath knife and possibly something bigger, to Rangergrip 90 or the Bear Grylls survival pack (Strata version). I suppose much like any other day, it depends what I feel like taking at the time

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 05:02:45 AM
It's been almost a month on this thread since anyone added to it, but it's a good one.  I get questions all the time about what does one take for their outdoor experience when we talk hiking or camping.

Being old-school from Arizona and Colorado, I'm not fixed in my ways, but I have certain beliefs that haven't been thrown out with the bath water.  One needs a pocket knife and I don't do trekking overnights without a fixed blade.  Hatchets are great, but weight comes into play.  I used to take a pair of pliers in my pack...totally priceless.

I've always got a SAK in my pocket.  From there, I started out many moons ago carrying a Champion and Buck Ranger on my belt for overnight excursions.  Then the Leatherman PST came along and the Champion started staying home.  But when it came down to it, while the PST was initially great, I never bonded with it, so it lives at home now too.  Throughout the 90's I tried different combinations and a few different MT's. 

I still carry the SAK in my pocket; it's not going to be left at home anytime soon.  The Ranger lives at home now...man, do I love the feel of that knife!  So for overnights, I carry a Gerber Strata on the belt and have an assortment of Buck fixed and lock blades for my pack (an old Woodsman, or a BuckLite, or PakLite large, etc).

For the ultalight backpacker this is way too much knife/weight.  For my ultralight friends, they're using a single SAK Classic or Waiter, or maybe a small Benchmade/Spyderco/etc.

Everybody has their comfort level for what to carry outdoors. But over the years, whether day hikes, overnighters, fighting fires, or doing rescues, I've never really been in a situation where I wished I had the right knife or pliers.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

nz Offline claws42

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 04:28:54 AM
I usually take a Huntsman, and nothing else - I like to travel as light as possible!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 04:37:50 PM
If you are truly backpacking - ie carrying all your gear from bivvy spot to bivvy spot - you need to be as light as possible.
And why would you need pliers??
I uaually carry a Huntsman - But probably should go smaller.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 05:14:16 PM
I like pliers for gear repair  (zippers usually), pulling something out of a fire, and heavy duty tweezer work.  If I'm worried about weight for longer trips, I might substitute a Style PS is place of a PST 2, but I do still like having some type of pliers.  I guess getting used to having them on me when I'm not in the woods, I just expect them to be there.
Also, I checked, and the SAK Bushcrafter plus Style PS is still under 4 oz (108g), pretty close to the Huntsman.

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 12:51:31 AM
Mind the photo. I was exhausted from hiking that day.
I like the Vic OHT.

-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

us Offline getahl

Reply #17 on: June 12, 2015, 06:10:43 PM
I like my Hiker, although I have a Rucksack en route that I'm looking forward to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 12, 2015, 06:18:07 PM
Vic Spirit X and Vic OHT.

The Spirit is lightweight and has everything I could use (in a lockable design). Maybe it doesn't really inspire mountaineering, but the thing is so strong and trustworthy, I want pliers that won't bent, saw that won't curve, strong prybar/chisel etc.
OHT I carry mostly for back-up, woodsy looks, back-up for the Spirit and well ... self defense... wouldn't help much against a bear but might dissuade a roaming hobo...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Philby

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2015, 09:38:41 PM
I like the Vic OHT.

(Image removed from quote.)
I don't mind the photo!

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: June 12, 2015, 11:08:24 PM
I like the Vic OHT.

I don't mind the photo!

Yeah, Megan looks more glamorous after hiking for a day than most of us would after a couple of hours in a make-up chair.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 13, 2015, 01:07:37 AM
I went a a day hike last weekend in NorCal.  In the bottom of my rucksack were my Waiter and a Gerber Clutch (they live in the bottom of the pack).  Together, these weigh about 101g / 3.6oz.

In the pocket of my shorts was a relatively new Compact Stayglow (instead of the Golfer or Cadet I normally EDC).  The Compact weighs about 2.3oz.

The Compact was nice, even used the corkscrew, but I noticed the size and weight compared to the Golfer I would normally carry.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

ca Offline Megan

• Marketing Maven
  • Administrator
  • No Life Club
  • Does your head look like a watermelon?
Reply #22 on: June 14, 2015, 09:14:56 PM
I like the Vic OHT.

I don't mind the photo!

Yeah, Megan looks more glamorous after hiking for a day than most of us would after a couple of hours in a make-up chair.

Ha. Thank you for the compliment.
Next time I am sweaty from hiking and feeling gross- I will try to remember it.
-Megan
Would you like your review featured on http://Multitool.org? Do you have a suggestion to improve the forum or our sites?
Send me a message.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 07:44:35 PM
Id go with a craftsman  and maybe a Swisstool in my pack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2015, 10:58:52 PM
I think for me, it's a different answer depending on whether it's day hiking or backpacking. I'm throwing Hiking and Tramping together... assuming i get the gist of what's meant by tramping.

Hiking... Huntsman.

Backpacking. Mmm... If I have the weight available, I'd go with the Wave. Otherwise, if i felt a need to try to go very light, the Squirt.

I could sit and rethink, and second guess myself on what to take backpacking all day, though.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 11:51:54 AM
I think for me, it's a different answer depending on whether it's day hiking or backpacking. I'm throwing Hiking and Tramping together... assuming i get the gist of what's meant by tramping.

Hiking... Huntsman.

Backpacking. Mmm... If I have the weight available, I'd go with the Wave. Otherwise, if i felt a need to try to go very light, the Squirt.

I could sit and rethink, and second guess myself on what to take backpacking all day, though.

I'm not really sure what backpacking is... here backpackers are (usually) young (and mostly European) tourists travelling the country on the cheap, often in vans.
"In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping." (= hiking) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiking

An insight into tramping: http://tramper.nz/

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 01:27:46 PM
For any of it I'd choose the Vic Outrider. Best 111mm SAK ever made. And I only remember one instance of needing pliers in the woods, and that was to disassemble a wire trap set by poachers. (Trapping is highly illegal here.)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 01:31:13 PM

Hiking... Huntsman.

I'm not really sure what backpacking is... here backpackers are (usually) young (and mostly European) tourists travelling the country on the cheap, often in vans.
"In New Zealand a long, vigorous walk or hike is called tramping." (= hiking) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiking

An insight into tramping: http://tramper.nz/

Ah thanks for taking me on you hiking trips Lynn :D - Can't wait - When and where shall we go?  ???

Backpacking to me has two definitions:
  • The kids described above 'backpacking' around a foreign country - travelling in a van, staying in YHAs etc
  • Hiking - But for more than a day - And typically far away from civilisation and certainly shops/campsites etc. You carry all your gear in your back pack (ie tent sleeping bag, stove, food etc) - You find a bivvy spot to erect your tent and sleep the night, then move on to the next bivvy spot the next day

Both have a similarity in that typically they are carrying all their gear in a back pack or rucksack!!

Anyway for that reason Lynn  - I would never carry a Wave backpacking - far too heavy - And don't need pliers - Huntsman again for me!

BTW Lynn - What is you definition of backpacking??

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 06:46:50 PM
Backpacking around here is your second definition. Taking everything you need in a backpack for a multi day hike.

My longest backpacking trip was 7 days. That was back in 1989, and gear weighed more back then. But then again, I weigh more now, so... :D The real weight issue (IMO) for 5-7 day trips is food weight. At least for the first few days.

I think I could manage the half pound weight of a Wave, but yeah, would probably opt for a Squirt.

EDIT: Back in 'the old days' I carried a 50lb pack. I'm apparently well designed for climbing up and down mountains under burden at walking speed. But I'd rather get in a knife fight than run two miles. :D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:48:42 PM by Lynn LeFey »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 12:49:42 AM
Yep, Wiki agrees, there is the travelling meaning, and the long hiking (tramping) meaning: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backpacking_%28wilderness%29

I understand now. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD