Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on Bit-Holders and Extender (Vic & LM)

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Thoughts on Bit-Holders and Extender (Vic & LM)
on: April 28, 2015, 08:06:44 PM
So, I took a look at the bit-holders/extenders

Leatherman
The small double bits are both the strength and the weakness of this kit. They pack lots of functionality in a small body but are difficult to get and expensive. This kit is a great choice if you need a wide variety of bits that you mostly don't use too hard. Because you use the whole MT as handle you can deliver lots of torque, and fortunately it also uses standad bits with the extender. So supplement a few standard bits for the rough jobs.

PRO
- Compact

CON
- Bits cannot be bought individually, making replacing bits expensive
- Bits are not easily available everywhere in the world
- Requires a LM-tool with a bit-holder

Victorinox
Victorinox offers two different kits, one L-shaped and tiny ratchet + extender
The strength of the Vic Kit is, that it can be used with any other tool, from Classic to SwissTool but is also not limited to the brand or product and even goes well with powertools. No matter what kind of screws you encounter, you will easily find the matching bit. You break a bit? No worries, you can buy replacments in bulk. The small size is its limitation, other than that it is a great companion.

PRO
- Stand alone
- Universal compatibility

CON
- Limited torque can be applied due to the small size

Bear in mind that pros and cons are not all equal, so more pros does not mean better and neither does more cons mean worse. More important than counting pros and cons is to keep them in mind and figure out which one matter for you and the tasks you encounter.

As you can see, the Vic Holder can take the special LM-bits, although the bit does not go in very deep (still holds in though).
Vice versa, regular bits sink rather deep into the LM bit-extender, no problem unless you have greasy fingers :D

Thoughts?
holder_01.jpg
* holder_01.jpg (Filesize: 151.22 KB)
holder_02.jpg
* holder_02.jpg (Filesize: 135.42 KB)
holder_03.jpg
* holder_03.jpg (Filesize: 129.09 KB)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:08:42 PM by Etherealicer »
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Thoughts on Bit-Holders and Extender (Vic & LM)
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 08:15:38 PM
Nice.  I always liked the look of the Victorinox ratchet kit, seems like a very neat design. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 08:20:11 PM
My preference is to the L-shaped, simple and effective.
However, the ratchet is great if you have to tighten/loosen lots of screws (and you don't have a powertool handy). I cannot comment on its durability though.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 08:33:28 PM
It is effective and you can also use it as an L shaped driver.

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 11:18:32 PM
I can't comment on LM bits as I have no experience with those. All I can say is that they seem functional and I like the fact they're double-headed (does that make sense?). Availability and price being an issue, too.

I had to order a couple of Vic wrenches I wanted to give as presents, because they weren't available anywhere locally! I got me a spare one, just in case. I prefer the L-shaped too. When I got my first one I had the chance to play with the ratchet. It seemed good, smooth sound and function, it felt sturdy but it's worthless if you lose the extension bar. No idea how it would do with frequent, hard use.

I combine my L-shaped wrench with an extension bar and a ratchet (not a Vic one) and this combo works very well for me. I was very happy when I got some stubborn aluminium screws (Robertson, by the way) to move with just the torque generated by the "L" handle. I was starting to feel this would not end well and then - sqruik - :) The first big test was succesful :woohoo:

Since these work with commonly available parts and seeing how compact the wrench set is, I find them just great for my needs, occasional but real world needs which can easily mean heavy duty.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 11:21:41 PM by firiki »
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 11:36:41 PM
Bit kit from LM is a nice addition the selection is ok after taking out the ones I'd never use I find this set a must for me.  I like the extender in that not only does it fit the LM bits but will accept standard 1/4 bits as well.

I dont see the Vic set as anything special.  I have the L wrench and its fine but not remarkable in and of itself.  I bought a cheap L wrench $5 vs the Vic $35+ and see no difference in function.  I was bummed they left spaces open on the set. 

I dont like you cannot but separate bits from LM but having the ability to use 1/4 bits is good.  I love the portability of the set vs having to figure out a way to carry 1/4bits plus L wrench.

As is the LM kit is better vs the Vic kit.

Pictured is my cheap $5 L wrench ( red plastic one ).  Way more practical than the Vic one.     
IMG_4376.JPG
* IMG_4376.JPG (Filesize: 272.49 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 05:39:45 AM
Never handled a Vic one, but it seems to me that they are completely stand alone, and other than bearing their logo has nothing to do with the actual multitools, no?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 07:21:04 AM
Never handled a Vic one, but it seems to me that they are completely stand alone, and other than bearing their logo has nothing to do with the actual multitools, no?

Exactly.  The bits that come with this kit I don't imagine are Vic produced nor of any special quality.  It is a stand alone kit which is fine but for the cost not worth it IMO. 
Esse Quam Videri

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 08:48:53 AM
I did only mention price peripheral, as this can be very different, depending on where you live...

Here, I pay more than 20 USD for the LM extender another 40+ USD for the LM bits (Prices on the images are CHF). I break one LM bit, replacing it costs another 40 USD (prices from today from my primary supplier, also mostly the cheapest source in Switzerland). I have ruined bits, never the holder so far. Of course after paying 60 USD they are still useless unless I also buy a LM tool...
Pricing for Victorinox is 30 USD for the holder +  couple of bits. Replacing bits will cost me as little as 1 USD.

There are cheaper alternatives (not here in Switzerland, but there are :cry:), but there are good reasons for the Vic too... If you buy a Spirit with bit-kit, it will fit nicely into the pouch (will take pictures tonight). As you can see in my first picture, the bits will nicely clip onto the holder. And last but not least, its very slim and will fit into places many cheap versions won't.
That said, if the cheaper fits your need, its by far the most economical solution.
extender.jpg
* extender.jpg (Filesize: 10.61 KB)
bitkit.jpg
* bitkit.jpg (Filesize: 14.54 KB)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 10:11:33 AM
So it again comes down to if you are in Europe, European stuff is cheaper, whereas if you are in NA American stuff is cheaper.  :D

I have the leatherman kit but never used it. I won't carry it if I have no plan to use them, but if I do I might as well just carry a ratcheting screwdriver or a power screwdriver.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:16:10 AM by jzmtl »

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 10:40:46 AM
So it again comes down to if you are in Europe, European stuff is cheaper, whereas if you are in NA American stuff is cheaper.  :D
I think the Vic products are similar in prices all over the globe. Its LM/Gerber/Sog (but also Spyderco and all others) that are much more expensive in Europe. Sadly because of high shipping cost and custom fees its mostly not worth to import. I also have to say that prices are coming down (local importer have tough competition with the internet). So, on a good day I get the Surge for 100 USD on a bad day I get the LM bit-kit + Extender for that price. Mostly, its the small stuff (USB-cable, T-shank blade, replacement bits, batteries) that is incredibly overpriced because: A) you want it now and B) Relative to shipping cost its cheap.
Victorinox bit-set might be pricey, but its only the initial investment, replacing bits is cheap.
LM-bit set is cheaper initially, but if you have to replace bits its going to cost (and using standard 1/4" bits the LM-kit looses a lot of its compactness). It would therefore be super-awesome if you could buy LM-bits individually.

I have the leatherman kit but never used it. I won't carry it if I have no plan to use them, but if I do I might as well just carry a ratcheting screwdriver or a power screwdriver.
Yeah, I think MT carry is always a balance of
- What you need / might need
- How much you can/are willing to carry
- How close is your tool-box
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:41:57 AM by Etherealicer »

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50:22 PM
I do agree LM should sell the bits individually and not make us buy a whole set just to replace one bit.  I have not ruined a bit yet so far so good.  I will not replace a bit if this happens I'll just add a 1/4 bit to my kit. 

The Vic bits that came with my Spirit and Swisstool plus tools seem standard run of the mill 1/4in bits.  The L wrench while fine just doesn't warrant the asking price IMO.  I have both Vic sheaths Swisstool/Spirit that very nicely hold the kits and tool.

The way I see it is the Vic set at $30 for an L wrench and 4-5 bit is steep.  For around $30 I can get a better stand alone bit set of higher quality. YMMV

It's tough when we all come from different part of the world.  Price aside tho I still feel the LM set is better in terms of versatility with regards to the different bits supplied and the compactness.   

Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 07:45:29 PM
While I like the sheer number of bits you can carry easily with the Leatherman set, I don't feel that they're good for very hard use or precision stuff. The smaller metric hex keys in particular seem a bit soft and don't fit so well in screws. At least with the Victorinox (or any other 1/4" hex) but driver you can get some good quality bits to suit.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 08:05:36 PM
Mostly, its the small stuff (USB-cable, T-shank blade, replacement bits, batteries) that is incredibly overpriced because: A) you want it now and B) Relative to shipping cost its cheap.

That's interesting, consider Bosch blades are swiss made.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 08:12:06 PM
If I know I'll be using lots of different bits, or have to battle lots of screws I mostly opt for the Chapman midget ratchet. Great bit of kit. :D And you can use the standard 1/4 extender with it for extra reach.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 12:57:30 AM
Add leatherman tool adaptor in the mix please.  :popcorn:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 09:55:30 AM
This one?

I don't own one. Recently passt one up, new for 5 bucks. Why?
WARNING: As a non-owner this is of course just theoretical!

Con:
- Requires tool it fits (no universal compatibility)
- Weirdly shaped and bulky (I think for packing elongated shapes are better)

Pro:
- Takes standard 1/4" bits

So personally I see no advantage, only drawbacks compared to a normal bit-holder (Vic or cheapo)

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 11:18:21 AM
This one?
(Image removed from quote.)

Con:

Pro:

So personally I see no advantage, only drawbacks compared to a normal bit-holder (Vic or cheapo)
That's actually the "Universal" version, which fits most folding MTs (the previous version only fitted skinny MTs like PSTs and Sideclips).

The big advantage of this particular driver is that it can fold to 90 degrees and is considerably more robust than the LM bit driver found on Waves/Charges/Surges, so if you need to use a brutal amount of force to loosen something you (probably) won't damage your MT (either bit driver or other driver component).
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 11:40:00 AM
This one?

Con:

Pro:

That's actually the "Universal" version, which fits most folding MTs (the previous version only fitted skinny MTs like PSTs and Sideclips).

The big advantage of this particular driver is that it can fold to 90 degrees and is considerably more robust than the LM bit driver found on Waves/Charges/Surges, so if you need to use a brutal amount of force to loosen something you (probably) won't damage your MT (either bit driver or other driver component).
Interesting, how do I tell the Universal apart from the previous skinny fitted one?

For more torque you could also Extend your ratchet like Metropolicity has done here or maybe use a long bit for elongated handle (will report back, when I have tried this)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 11:41:57 AM by Etherealicer »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 11:56:30 AM
This one?

Con:

Pro:

Interesting, how do I tell the Universal apart from the previous skinny fitted one?

For more torque you could also Extend your ratchet like Metropolicity has done here or maybe use a long bit for elongated handle (will report back, when I have tried this)

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 01, 2015, 07:52:02 AM
I had a Wave adapter I gave it to a friend. I did like it. It worked good. I now have the standard adapter fits my PST, PST II and Super Tool 300 really good and solid. It feels very much like a good screwdriver when you use it not off centered like the multitools that come with a bit driver.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 05:21:40 AM
I like to add one advantage for the Leatherman flat bits: If the screws are not too tight (especially the small ones), you can actually use the bits by itself without any tools.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:23:09 AM by Kampfer »

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 05:22:51 AM
I have both Universal  and standard adapters  :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 07:11:27 AM
I like to add one advantage for the Leatherman flat bits: If the screws are not too tight (especially the small ones), you can actually use the bits by itself without any tools.
Me too. There are many disadvantages to specialized bits, but often you don't care. All that matters is that they are so small and easily carried.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%