Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pick 3, any 3...only 3....

Demel · 98 · 5992

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Pick 3, any 3...only 3....
Reply #30 on: April 30, 2015, 12:55:57 AM
PLSK, Skulletool, Mini-Surge
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: April 30, 2015, 01:41:21 AM
No surprise there   no micra?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline getahl

Reply #32 on: April 30, 2015, 03:33:06 AM
Victorinox Camper, preferably with nylon scales, LM Charge TTi, and Victorinox Classic.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 30, 2015, 05:15:38 AM
Before I ever got into this MT madness - I pretty much had three tools - And these served me very well for years
So I would go for those three  :D
  • Leatherman Wave
  • Victorinox Huntsman - Note my username!
  • Victorinox Classic
And as some above mention this set covers heavy, edc and light/dress usage

Comments:
I would be tempted to upgrade the Classic to a Rambler or LM PS4
These days I usually EDC a smaller SAK than the Huntsman (office job) - so a Vic Climber or Wenger Traveller/14.
But as I have to choose - I am going for the greater functionality of the Huntsman
I recently acquired a Juice - and shock horror - This is infringing on my 91mm EDC choice :sa: - May do a post on that soon !

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #34 on: April 30, 2015, 09:17:03 AM
No surprise there   no micra?
That would be #4
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 30, 2015, 10:24:38 AM
I do like the diversity in choices, showing the different uses/needs we have. And I enjoy a forum where having different opinons really leads to entertaining and enlightening discussions about tools, inspired mods and sometimes surprising new favourites.
Keep them coming - and if you ike, tell us why you cose what you chose.

us Offline 3F

Reply #36 on: April 30, 2015, 10:46:33 AM
Sidekick, Huntsman, Champion Plus

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: April 30, 2015, 12:17:21 PM
I do like the diversity in choices, showing the different uses/needs we have. And I enjoy a forum where having different opinons really leads to entertaining and enlightening discussions about tools, inspired mods and sometimes surprising new favourites.
Keep them coming - and if you ike, tell us why you cose what you chose.
It forces you to think about what is really important to you. There are tools I have that I don' use I just really like. But if I had to part with them I would. That's the one thing I love about this place. I started with only a few tools but my how that has changed.  :multi:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 30, 2015, 01:25:50 PM
LM Surge, Vic Swiss Tool X, Vic Swiss Champ. :tu:
darren

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #39 on: April 30, 2015, 01:34:05 PM
crucial, wave, camper!
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #40 on: April 30, 2015, 08:15:43 PM
Coming from CnC ( cheap and cheerful ) MT I finally got a Wave and so far nothing has dampened my affection for this model. 

I debated between the Wave and Surge but since the Surge at the time was supposed to be getting the upgraded plier head I chose the Wave.   

After getting the Surge it was no real transition from the Wave and having the blade exchanger for me was a game changer. 

I only really toss in other MTs because I have them and its fun to carry a different tool from time to time.   

My Swisschamp for me is the perfect SAK.  I love all that it can do and stuff I hadn't planned on.  Yes it's big but thats what makes it for me a fun SAK. 

I'd like to mod a Explorer to include pliers but for now the SC is best. 

Honorable mentions

Swisstool, ST300

Explorer Plus, Deluxe Tinker, Alox Farmer.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #41 on: May 01, 2015, 05:48:54 AM
Only three ...  :think:

:ahhh

Now, after the initial shock I will try to make a selection, which won't be easy.

First choice would be whether to keep three different style users, or to keep one user and two tools with sentimental value.

I would need a SAK, and which SAK offers more tools than the Swisschamp, so that's number one.  I would also need a plier based tool, so that would be the ST300 (one of my favorite combinations these days, my Swisschamp next to my ST300).  But I would also like to keep one of my Swisstools, and also my first Leatherman (Original Supertool '94).  This is the hard part ...  ::).

So, my three users would be my Swisschamp, my BO ST300, and my Swisstool X.   
The other (sentimental) option would be my Swisschamp, my Swisstool X and my first multitool, my '94 Supertool (Yes, you heard it right Monrogue, I would part from my Road Tour Spirit ... :dwts:).

Sweet!  I know what one of my three will be-Road Tour Spirit :D 

Ok, back in reality, this is tough as any thread like this is for me.  It would likely change occasionally for me, especially with the formula suggested.  I can easily choose one SAK (which would be the MechaRogue), but only two MTs, especially if it has to be only one full size and a keychain size, is tough.  Keychain is fairly easy as it would be either my Micra or Squirt PS4, probably the Micra.  I think I'd currently go with my Rebar as it makes a good all around package with the MechaRogue and Micra.  That's not an easy choice though.  I could go with my G1 Wave as well.  Actually, I would just replace the Micra with the G1 Wave.  The Vic Spirit is a contender as well.  I could basically interchange any combo of 2 of those 3 MTs (Rebar, G1 Wave and Spirit) and pair them with my MechaRogue and be all set.
K-Tibbs

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #42 on: May 01, 2015, 06:01:56 AM
M ^^^  What is your decision? Which three?
Mecharogue and .....

You can only have three!! No interchanging allowed eg perm three (or two) from five etc  :pok:

Also confused about what Aloha chose ???
Swisschamp and .... ??
Or is he only going for the Wave.

Come on lads be clear!!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 06:41:01 AM
Sorry Huntsman, I am horrible at decisions like this ;)  I think the G1 Wave would have to be one just to have one with OHO blades.  I am currently digging my Rebar, so I think I'd go with that. 
K-Tibbs

hr Offline styx

Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 11:43:44 AM
Farmer, Spirit X and Surge (the one that still eludes me)
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: May 01, 2015, 12:40:09 PM
M ^^^  What is your decision? Which three?
Mecharogue and .....

You can only have three!! No interchanging allowed eg perm three (or two) from five etc  ok:

Also confused about what Aloha chose ???
Swisschamp and .... ??
Or is he only going for the Wave.

Come on lads be clear!!
Aloha was a bo wave, bo surge and swisschamp

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: May 01, 2015, 12:42:36 PM
I keep thinking about the wave as well too. Its really close with the rebar. Rethinking my strategy.......

us Offline Yalius

Reply #47 on: May 01, 2015, 08:38:50 PM
Surge, Charge TTi, Explorer.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 11:22:37 PM
Sorry Huntsman, I am horrible at decisions like this ;)

Hey M - Don't apologise  :) - I am only being arsey and giving you a hard time  :D

Aloha was a bo wave, bo surge and swisschamp

Ah yes from an earlier post - I only read the one above!!
My turn to aplogise  >:(

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 11:45:13 PM
No worries huntsman. I've been thinking, the three chosen would most likely be your edc. So if I had to chose differently (which I warned about  :twak: ) I would chose
Rebar II
as posted here: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57377.msg1033900.html#msg1033900 it offers (imo) the best of what Leatherman has to offer in a very condensed package.
Compact Mod:
Replace hook and corkscrew with awl and phillips, My perfect sak. Everything I want on it. Without any extra tools that I would never use.
Dime
I would take the dime in case I needed pliers in a small package and can't carry the rebar or compact.

If I had to release all my other tools except these three, it would suck. But would be very content with this setup.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 11:46:14 PM
Rebar

Spydie/Rat 1

Huntsman

If I can't get it done with those then the 1911 comes out.

Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 06:30:20 AM
Surge, Charge TTi, Explorer.

Solid choices. 

@Huntsman no prob.  I like many have a hard time picking 3 since I really do have more like 5,6,7 that I do really like. 
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: May 05, 2015, 08:56:39 AM
This is darn near mission impossible! 

As I have said in the past, if five of our "collector" grade members ever crashed in a heli, they probably have so much tools on hand that they could fix up the heli on-spot, and still have enough tools left to entertain the next town. 

Now I can't even fathom asking them which 3 tools they will pick--it is like asking them if their mom and girlfriend had fallen in water, whether they would save the Spirit/Huntsman/Explorer first or the Wave/Charge/Surge first... :D

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: May 05, 2015, 01:24:56 PM
Swisstool Spirit, Modded alox SAK, Classic SD.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #54 on: May 05, 2015, 03:36:07 PM
As I have said in the past, if five of our "collector" grade members ever crashed in a heli, they probably have so much tools on hand that they could fix up the heli on-spot, and still have enough tools left to entertain the next town. 
It would have to have been a seriously large cargo-carrying heli to even get off the ground in the first place  :rofl:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #55 on: May 05, 2015, 05:00:10 PM
Very interesting seeing everyone's choices. Good topic

1. Leatherman Wave - it has everything. I've been work-EDCing mine for several years now. Modded to my liking
2. Gerber Octane - I love it. It is always with me on my days off
3. This is a hard one, but gotta go with my Pocket Power Plier

I thought about going keychain size for option three but I am not a big believer in the keychain sized tools. I guess I do like my Style CS well enough, but it doesn't get a lot of use. I went with the PPP mostly because SOGs are so addictive to play with.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: May 05, 2015, 07:07:17 PM

1. Leatherman Wave - it has everything. I've been work-EDCing mine for several years now. Modded to my liking

I thought about going keychain size for option three but I am not a big believer in the keychain sized tools. I guess I do like my Style CS well enough, but it doesn't get a lot of use. I went with the PPP mostly because SOGs are so addictive to play with.
:tu: how is your wave modded? I keep switching on the keychain size myself. The biggest factor in keeping it is portability.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: May 05, 2015, 07:09:31 PM
It would have to have been a seriously large cargo-carrying heli to even get off the ground in the first place  :rofl:
Maybe marvel can help and loan us this :rofl: 

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #58 on: May 05, 2015, 09:49:57 PM

:tu: how is your wave modded? I keep switching on the keychain size myself. The biggest factor in keeping it is portability.

Rebar plier head. Dedicated Philip driver replaced the scissors and medium flat driver. I am getting ready to replace the plain edge blade with Wingman scissors. Also, thinking about losing the bit driver and putting the medium flat back in and small flat in it's place. Maybe put the awl in, but not sure.

It's an on going project, lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #59 on: May 08, 2015, 12:34:41 PM
Storage cabinet 1, 2, and 3.

Does that count?  :whistle:   :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31