Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Man bag

Grathr · 57 · 5615

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Man bag
on: April 29, 2015, 06:22:14 PM
I never thought Id carry a man bag.
But suddenly one day I find my self traveling in and out of Oslo for various meetings, and the best way to get there is by train. Traffic and parking is a nightmare, and I needed something than can carry my Ipad with cables for connecting to a projector, and a water bottle.
The answer turned out to be this old Czeck surplus messenger bag I got for hunting and short hikes.

Anyone else carry a "man bag"?

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Man bag
Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 06:29:24 PM
Only when my kids were in diapers did I carry a "bag".  Yours looks good  :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:34:29 PM
I carry polish army bread bag. It is my work lunch bag when i am on the road. Takes 0,75 l thermos, and lunch plus couple 0,5 l sodas, and other needy things.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:38:55 PM
Nice bag mate. :tu:

I never quite got the idea that somehow "men" have never carried bags?  Did these "men" just get very good a juggling or something?

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 06:58:35 PM
Nice looking bag. I use a Maxped LEO.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 07:10:00 PM
That's not a man bag, that's a satchel  :twak:.

Indiana Jones wears one ...

;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 07:11:25 PM
Nice bag mate. :tu:

I never quite got the idea that somehow "men" have never carried bags?  Did these "men" just get very good a juggling or something? (Image removed from quote.)

I personally dont have anything to carry that I cannot put into my pockets or strap to my belt.  I dont work with computer nor have small children anymore.  As far as BOBs  and such I dont carry one either.  I have a emergency bag in my truck but it stays there full time. 

When I was a chef I did carry a backpack with my knives and such so at one time I did carry a bag.   
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 07:33:05 PM
I'd pay money to see you juggling your chef knives. :D

Seriously though, this modern idea that only rucksacks are manly enough is just tosh, if a man needed to carry something they'd put it in a bag, mostly with just a single strap.  Think haversack, mountain men, soldiers, Indiana Jones, cartridge bag, fishing bag etc etc.  Most folks who carry a small rucksacks only seem to use one strap anyway. :D

Not, I hasten to add, do I have anything against a small rucksacks, I own several myself.  I just don't feel any less manly for having a single strap bag either. :)

no Offline Grathr

Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 07:43:01 PM

Seriously though, this modern idea that only rucksacks are manly enough is just tosh, if a man needed to carry something they'd put it in a bag, mostly with just a single strap.  Think haversack, mountain men, soldiers, Indiana Jones, cartridge bag, fishing bag etc etc.  Most folks who carry a small rucksacks only seem to use one strap anyway. :D

Not, I hasten to add, do I have anything against a small rucksacks, I own several myself.  I just don't feel any less manly for having a single strap bag either. :)

I agree with you on this. I used to carry a small backpack, half empty with one sling over the shoulder.
The "satchel" is a lot more practical.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 08:23:15 PM

I agree with you on this. I used to carry a small backpack, half empty with one sling over the shoulder.
The "satchel" is a lot more practical.

You make a great point there, and I must say, the bag in your pictures looks great. 

My son bought a similar one a couple of weeks ago, to carry his PSP and a couple of games, a notebook and a pencil, a pair of binoculars sometimes, and last but not least, one of his tools (Leatherman Style PS or a "my first Victorinox" knife).

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 09:11:50 PM
I see a lot of men carrying bags of all types.  I have seen some nice satchels kicking about as well and think they look great.

I don't have anything to carry  :( or I'd get a old tattered leather bag myself. 

Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 09:35:50 PM
I see a lot of men carrying bags of all types.  I have seen some nice satchels kicking about as well and think they look great.

I don't have anything to carry  :( or I'd get a old tattered leather bag myself.

This is kind of where I am as well.  Like you I used to carry all the gear that you need to parent a small child, but she's older now and can carry her own stuff. ;)  I used to carry things back and forth to work (changes of clothes, lunch, tools etc), but I'm not doing that any longer.  So day-to-day I'm not often carrying a bag any more.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 09:38:11 PM

This is kind of where I am as well.  Like you I used to carry all the gear that you need to parent a small child, but she's older now and can carry her own stuff. ;)  I used to carry things back and forth to work (changes of clothes, lunch, tools etc), but I'm not doing that any longer.  So day-to-day I'm not often carrying a bag any more.

Both my girls have bags large enough and with enough supplies to keep us prepared for a week.  I honestly dont know why they dont have back issues. 
Esse Quam Videri

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 10:44:01 PM
I don't like carrying stuff in my pockets, I can't carry a laptop, iPad cables, etc in pockets. I will carry a bag and not give a flying smurf what other people think
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 11:01:15 PM
I don't like carrying stuff in my pockets, I can't carry a laptop, iPad cables, etc in pockets. I will carry a bag and not give a flying smurf what other people think

+1

After carrying camera bags of all sorts and sizes for the better part 40 years I could give two smurfs less what people think. I would carry one today but usually only visit the Dr. and I can't stand the thought of sitting it down on the floor!  :ahhh

Still have bags I tote around the farm but they are smaller and filled with sharp things... :D
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 04:16:41 AM
I carry a bag- usually a Tactical Tailor ROP, small pack, about 1000ci. Sometimes I strip down and switch over to my Maxped Jumbo or Malaga (although the Malaga is currently being tested for a non-EDC role). In the past, I've used GI mussete bags and various kinds of dispatch/messenger bags.

When people ask me why I carry a bag, I explain to them that everything that goes into my pockets goes into the bag at night in case I get the 2am phone call that requires I leave NOW. And I get to carry more stuff. And if they get fussy, I point out that Chewbacca, Indiana Jones, Davey Crockett, Daniel Boone, and just about every rifle and artillery man who fought on either side of the US Civil War AND every member of Rodger's Rangers carried a shoulder bag, or it is a single saddle bag and by damn even if that means you were half the man of the likes of JEB Stuart or Philip Sheridan or John Mosbey then you'll be a man of distinction. It is the pocket of all pockets, even if you have to throw it through the window first as you exit the building that is on fire! And that wrambles into one of my long tirades about humanity being the tool using animal and without tools man is just a beast and while I can do much with what goes into my pockets I can do more with what is in my bag, even if I'm going out of that window naked becuase my Ex bought two new toys today, an axe to open the door, and a flame thrower because, well, she's MY ex, which means she was bonkers BEFORE she met me.

You need an excuse?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 05:22:04 AM
When people ask me why I carry a bag, I explain to them that everything that goes into my pockets goes into the bag at night in case I get the 2am phone call that requires I leave NOW. And I get to carry more stuff. And if they get fussy, I point out that Chewbacca, Indiana Jones, Davey Crockett, Daniel Boone, and just about every rifle and artillery man who fought on either side of the US Civil War AND every member of Rodger's Rangers carried a shoulder bag, or it is a single saddle bag and by damn even if that means you were half the man of the likes of JEB Stuart or Philip Sheridan or John Mosbey then you'll be a man of distinction. It is the pocket of all pockets, even if you have to throw it through the window first as you exit the building that is on fire! And that wrambles into one of my long tirades about humanity being the tool using animal and without tools man is just a beast and while I can do much with what goes into my pockets I can do more with what is in my bag, even if I'm going out of that window naked becuase my Ex bought two new toys today, an axe to open the door, and a flame thrower because, well, she's MY ex, which means she was bonkers BEFORE she met me.

I'm surprised people still ask given that a tablet is uber portable but won't fit in your pocket. I would  think most people would just assume that's why you have one.

Good point about the bag being the "pocket of all pockets."  :tu:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 05:40:20 AM
Nice bag, a murse, men's purse! That's what I get called carrying.. But all it is, is a sling. I don't think even when wearing a backpack I never used both straps, I carry my mini bag with all sorts of stuff, nothing electronic, but stuff that might come in handy. If I'm only going down the street to the store then no, I'll take my must haves, but if I'm going over to a friends house or to a doc appt, then it's going! I also have my backpack, with a more survive theme, but that just sits in the corner, the only time that would ever get touched is if it's a absolute emergency. But the unique setup is that my edc bag will hook on to the backpack so that I don't need to double pack and have two of everything besides a fak, and the face of my edc bag will be shown so all of my patches and pins will be shown.. Gotta have my mt.o patch at all times! :D
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 08:41:46 AM
I think attitudes are changing over here. I always carry a bag, usually a rucksack as I just can't get on with shoulder bags normally. And people don't bat an eye now as loads of people carry bags, where ten years ago you just didn't see that.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 09:10:32 AM
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:12:42 AM by Gareth »

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 09:17:50 AM
I like bringing a book. That doesn't fit in my pocket, and a backpack is overkill. I think we can thank Apple and their iPad, in combination with the current trend (at least here) of phones too large for pant pockets, for more acceptance of murses/satchels/sling bags/guide bags/etc. It's strange, why does "people" think it is fine carrying an iPad, but weird bringing a multitool?

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 10:12:11 AM
I like your bag a lot. It looks like the one I carried for seven years, from High School's last years and through all medical school. It was very similar, OD canvas my mother washed with chlorine, full with artwork I made myself (mainly Hard Rock and Heavy Metal group logos) and pins of Deep Purple. If I find it I'll post a pic. Now I always carry Victorinox bags.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 12:15:42 PM
Maxpedition Tactical Operator laptop bag for me.  I carry it almost everywhere, largely because I work in shipping, which means there are issues 24/7 and I can be called to work any time, or be required to check old reports or notes and have the answers immediately, so I need my laptop, tablet, cables etc all the time.

Also it holds everything I need it to, and after many years of carrying it, it could still almost pass for new.  I know some folks have issues with Maxpedition as a company, and while I don't want to devalue their experiences, I will say that to me they have proven themselves as highly valuable and reliable products.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 12:58:03 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 01:26:25 PM
I like bringing a book. That doesn't fit in my pocket, and a backpack is overkill. I think we can thank Apple and their iPad, in combination with the current trend (at least here) of phones too large for pant pockets, for more acceptance of murses/satchels/sling bags/guide bags/etc. It's strange, why does "people" think it is fine carrying an iPad, but weird bringing a multitool?
I gotta have my sudoku book if not I'll drive myself nuts if I have nothing to do, I can't sit still and not do anything..
Lots of links: http://www.larsdatter.com/pilgrims-bags.htm

(Image removed from quote.)
Omg, is that what I'm going to look like, cause I think I need a walking stick because of my back..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #25 on: April 30, 2015, 01:44:37 PM
Nothing wrong with a good man bag. :D Most of the time I use a Timbuk2 Covert Messenger bag - boring black which is great for work but with a massive stealth reflective panel that's perfect for on the bike. Loads of space inside for all sorts of junk, including laptop, lunch and change of clothes. Most of the time I don't need all that stuff though, so I might have to dig out my 20 year old Timbuk2 PeeWee, which is probably a better size for the stuff that I seem to end up carrying most of the time nowadays. I do have a bit of a bag fetish though - I also own 4 Osprey rucksacks. :-[

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #26 on: May 08, 2015, 05:41:28 PM
Strangely, when I went looking for a new purse to replace my Peel Hobo Slingbag, I ended up settling on a 'Man Bag'; a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipak (downscaled from a Maxpedition Jumbo EDC Versipak). The material, build quality and vast organizational ability, at pretty low cost trumped anything I could find that was intended specifically for women, particularly any bag with a dedicated CCW compartment.

Since it's black, most of the tacticool details (Molle... Molle everywhere!) are obscured, so it just looks like maybe a camera bag or some such.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2015, 04:14:50 AM
Since it's black, most of the tacticool details (Molle... Molle everywhere!) are obscured, so it just looks like maybe a camera bag or some such.

And since everyone's black is, well, black, if you do feel the need to hang a pouch on the MOLLE webbing, it looks like it belongs. Greens, tans and coyotes... yeah, lots of variation there, and close enough isn't. It is more obvious.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 04:49:36 AM
I did have a Skinth phone case on it, but phones are getting bigger and bigger, and the Milkyway won't hold a Phablet.

And yes, all the black bits you can get all 'match'. :D

no Offline Grathr

Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 09:53:58 AM
Heres a pic of what I keep in mine:

Sunglasses, converterters from Ipad to VGA and HDMI for presentations, a powerpack for my phone with cable, a notebook, a pen, a cheap flashlight, my Ipad and a couple of snack packs.
Now that I think of it, I really should have a plier based MT in there. :think:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%