Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best sub 4inch survival knife?

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Re: Best sub 4inch survival knife?
Reply #60 on: May 12, 2015, 08:47:06 PM
I always wanted a Recon Tanto, but never got round to buying one. I really wish I had now :(

I can well imagine how much he loved it though :)

There was some drool involved :drool:

The Recon Tanto is an awesome looking knife, too. If I thought I would actually use it instead of just collecting it, I would get me one. But the SRK is more my speed. If I caught the SRK SMIII on sale again or found the older Carbon V at a great price in good shape, I'd definitely buy another one of those first. Never hurts to have a backup of a favorite blade.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #61 on: May 12, 2015, 08:48:15 PM
Too true :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #62 on: May 12, 2015, 11:53:23 PM
I always wanted a Recon Tanto, but never got round to buying one. I really wish I had now :(

I can well imagine how much he loved it though :)

Oddly enough, I bought an older one in Carbon V and couldn't decide what I would ever use it for so it was gifted to a buddy! Already had the SRK's, the Trail Master and Ka- Bar style Cases/Ontarios for camping.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Reply #63 on: May 13, 2015, 08:25:56 AM
That was the argument I had really, as tanto points are only really useful in one area and me not being a squaddie it was kinda pointless me getting one. Still regret it though ::)

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #64 on: May 13, 2015, 11:32:56 AM
Well Ron Hood had a TOPS designed knife with which he advocated an americanized tanto for survival knives
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #65 on: May 13, 2015, 12:03:08 PM
The more I think about this, the more I'm inclined towards some form of multitool (including SAKs).

If we consider a Nessy Trio kind of affair, at sub 4" we're really looking at the smallest component, and one which is backed up by two heavier duty items. Batonning becomes a real chore with a short knife, but a short knife will help you make wedges for splitting. Not only can a SAK or MT do that too, but it can also (subject to choice) harvest a baton and cut the firewood to length with the saw. The onboard tweezers will be better than your stubby fat blade for getting splinters out too.

If you aren't woods based, screwdrivers and pliers might actually be better for harvesting shelter building and other useful materials from any detritus, fencing, vehicles, or other non-plant based source. Trimming the flap of skin off that cut that you keep catching on stuff, clothing repairs, or making the pouch for the hunting sling, would be easier and safer with scissors.

I think if you want a sharpened prybar type knife, get a bigger one. And if youwant a smaller blade for ease of carry, let it fold and have some extra tools. A puuko or similar is fine for woodcraft, but in a real SHTF setting, a roofers tool/crate opener (hatchet, hammer, prybar combo) and a well equipped SAK or pliers based tool will give more much better options and chances on not being found "too late"

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Reply #66 on: May 13, 2015, 01:56:07 PM
The knife would be used in addition to a sak or MT as we'd all probably have at least one on us for all the reasons you've stated :)

I do agree with all your points, but still feel there is a place for a compact survival type knife. I've only got three large knives left a Tops Tracker, a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri and Trailmaster. All fantastic knives that I'd trust my life to. Do I use them, no. To big, to heavy and too scary looking sadly. So I could take my Tops Bob or SRK but they take up a lot if room in my rucksack or panniers (don't drive, so I have to carry everything) so I almost always carry my F1 as that's the minimum knife I'd rely on if I injure myself down the woods and need to stay the night for example. :)

I really do feel that there is room on the market for something like this :)

Reply #67 on: May 13, 2015, 02:10:58 PM
Just a thought... Farson survival tool

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #68 on: May 13, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
I know where you're coming from on the carry restrictions and appearance, Mike. I suppose I'm not really seeing what a say 3" fixed blade could do that a folding blade couldn't to warrant it's carry.

I tend to throw something like a Finn Bear or Roach Belly or TUF Gen 2 in my kit, as I can safely say it's a food prep knife if asked, whereas I wouldn't get away with that with the Chris Caine tool  :D I see the benefits of afixed blade of 4" and above, but I'm personally not seeing much functionality in something smaller  :think: I was quite tempted to get a sghian dhu for a while (I like the look of the Cold Steel Secret Edge actually) and didn't for the same reason.

I don't think I'd want to go much smaller than this: http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/gerber-myth-fixed-blade-pro-drop-point-4760-p.asp

Reply #69 on: May 13, 2015, 02:16:42 PM
The blade on my f1 is about 3 3/4 and I'm amazed how competently it gets stuff done given its diddy dimensions :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: May 13, 2015, 02:17:13 PM

:think: would you be as well just carrying a tomohawk head, and making a handle if you needed to?

Reply #71 on: May 13, 2015, 02:17:45 PM
Ah, good point: tu:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: May 13, 2015, 02:19:22 PM
The blade on my f1 is about 3 3/4 and I'm amazed how competently it gets stuff done given its diddy dimensions :)

I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh Mike. I'm not trying to talk you out of the idea BTW, just trying to understand it and see ifit would work for me  :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: May 13, 2015, 03:23:55 PM

:think: would you be as well just carrying a tomohawk head, and making a handle if you needed to?

This is a very interesting idea and quite a different take on things. 

Esse Quam Videri

Reply #74 on: May 13, 2015, 04:54:07 PM

I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh Mike. I'm not trying to talk you out of the idea BTW, just trying to understand it and see ifit would work for me  :D
I'm not sure it'll work for a lot of people to be honest. My perspective is different from most people on a lot of subjects :D

I think never having a car and having a knackered spine does change your perceptions of how much tool you really need. I'm gonna have to haul it so if I can get away with something smaller that will still give me peace of mind I will tend to go for it :)

Reply #75 on: May 13, 2015, 04:55:34 PM

This is a very interesting idea and quite a different take on things.
I bought the hatchet version and its s good quality tool, just too big for my needs :(

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #76 on: May 13, 2015, 05:57:59 PM
The knife would be used in addition to a sak or MT as we'd all probably have at least one on us for all the reasons you've stated :)

I do agree with all your points, but still feel there is a place for a compact survival type knife. I've only got three large knives left a Tops Tracker, a Cold Steel Gurkha Kukri and Trailmaster. All fantastic knives that I'd trust my life to. Do I use them, no. To big, to heavy and too scary looking sadly. So I could take my Tops Bob or SRK but they take up a lot if room in my rucksack or panniers (don't drive, so I have to carry everything) so I almost always carry my F1 as that's the minimum knife I'd rely on if I injure myself down the woods and need to stay the night for example. :)

Seems like you are really happy with the F1 for a smaller knife. If you want something even smaller and really light weight in a fixed blade, how about the Becker BK14? It's 3.25" blade. Tough as nails little blade. I'd take it for durability over any folder since it's full tang.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: May 13, 2015, 07:06:12 PM
I like knives in the under 5 inch segment and have a few.  In thinking about what I'd need a knife for in a survival situation I believe as with any tool knowing its limits are vital.  We often hear about heat treatment and without actually knowing how the heat treat was performed, are we ever certain it was done properly?  Sure some of the more well respected knife makers have standardized procedures but IMO nothing is perfect.  This aside let say the heat treat was done right so as not to quibble about it.

Getting out and pushing the tool hard in jobs then assessing its performance is key.  I do love manufactures that have no question warranties for this very reason.  I am able to beat on a knife in a controlled environment to stress the tools ability without reservation. 

I was surprised to see how well the MTech performed http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=56114.0 and has continued to perform. 

Question..........  Is it important that the handles be removeable and the knife used without?  I think YES, heres why.   Say the handle(s) break off under usage and the tang is not full or the handle ls like the Moras.  I think handle slabs rather than a handle that encompasses the tang is a better option.  Yes we are talking extremes but humor me.  With a full tang knife the usability is still there even without handle scales.  I can wrap the knife with paracord ( or any cordage ) and still have a fully functional knife.   

I also like the idea of lashing points like on the MTech ( pommel and end of cutting edge ).  I can "easily" lash the blade ( with or without ) handle scales to a pole and make a spear or short pole to make an improvised hatchet. 

I am in no way saying I'm a survival expert nor have vast knowledge in such.  These are just some ideas I was mentally playing with.     

The largest Fixed blade I have is my Anza Tracker.

Anza made from a file (1095 ) with Micarta handle scales. Basic specs 9 3/8 overall. 4 4/8 blade.  .78 blade thickness

Rat 3 also with Micarta handle scales blade is 1095.  7.8 overall.  3.75 blade.  .78 blade thickness

Mora is Carbon Steel and not full tang with Rubber/Plastic handle.  I need to mention I have "broke" the tip of this Mora.  8.6 overall.  4.1 blade length.  5mm blade thickness

MTech is 440C SS with Micarta handle scales.  7" overall.  3.5 blade length.  5mm blade thickness

IMG_7791.JPG
* IMG_7791.JPG (Filesize: 127.23 KB)
IMG_7792.JPG
* IMG_7792.JPG (Filesize: 197.75 KB)
IMG_7793.jpg
* IMG_7793.jpg (Filesize: 160.9 KB)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:37:56 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #78 on: May 13, 2015, 07:34:34 PM

Seems like you are really happy with the F1 for a smaller knife. If you want something even smaller and really light weight in a fixed blade, how about the Becker BK14? It's 3.25" blade. Tough as nails little blade. I'd take it for durability over any folder since it's full tang.
I had a Becker until i sold it last week :D

Great quality at an affordable price :)

Reply #79 on: May 13, 2015, 07:43:28 PM
I like knives in the under 5 inch segment and have a few.  In thinking about what I'd need a knife for in a survival situation I believe as with any tool knowing its limits are vital.  We often hear about heat treatment and without actually knowing how the heat treat was performed, are we ever certain it was done properly?  Sure some of the more well respected knife makers have standardized procedures but IMO nothing is perfect.  This aside let say the heat treat was done right so as not to quibble about it.

Getting out and pushing the tool hard in jobs then assessing its performance is key.  I do love manufactures that have no question warranties for this very reason.  I am able to beat on a knife in a controlled environment to stress the tools ability without reservation. 

I was surprised to see how well the MTech performed http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=56114.0 and has continued to perform. 

Question..........  Is it important that the handles be removeable and the knife used without?  I think YES, heres why.   Say the handle(s) break off under usage and the tang is not full or the handle ls like the Moras.  I think handle slabs rather than a handle that encompasses the tang is a better option.  Yes we are talking extremes but humor me.  With a full tang knife the usability is still there even without handle scales.  I can wrap the knife with paracord ( or any cordage ) and still have a fully functional knife.   

I also like the idea of lashing points like on the MTech ( pommel and end of cutting edge ).  I can "easily" lash the blade ( with or without ) handle scales to a pole and make a spear or short pole to make an improvised hatchet. 

I am in no way saying I'm a survival expert nor have vast knowledge in such.  These are just some ideas I was mentally playing with.     

The largest Fixed blade I have is my Anza Tracker.

Anza made from a file (1095 ) with Micarta handle scales. Basic specs 9 3/8 overall. 4 4/8 blade.  .78 blade thickness

Rat 3 also with Micarta handle scales blade is 1095.  7.8 overall.  3.75 blade.  .78 blade thickness

Mora is Carbon Steel and not full tang with Rubber/Plastic handle.  I need to mention I have "broke" the tip of this Mora.  8.6 overall.  4.1 blade length.  5mm blade thickness

MTech is 440C SS with Micarta handle scales.  7" overall.  3.5 blade length.  5mm blade thickness

I couldn't agree more about the handles. Full tang and scales all the way if possible :tu:

I also love how thick that Anza is!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #80 on: May 13, 2015, 07:54:31 PM
It doesn't have a tip to speak of but stabbing isn't the forte of this knife.  The balance point is right at the tip between the finger grooves.  I dont suspect this knife snapping however dependent upon the heat treat anything is possible.   
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #81 on: May 13, 2015, 08:08:12 PM
440C on the other hand can perform really well and be quite durable

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #82 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:01 PM
440C on the other hand can perform really well and be quite durable

I'm off for a few day camping soon and will take all knives up for an adventure.  They'll perform jobs within their purchase perspectives but I'll push each outside this as well. 

Here is a long read but interesting.
http://www.jayfisher.com/440C_Love_Hate.htm
Esse Quam Videri

Reply #83 on: May 14, 2015, 08:48:54 AM
I really don't think I've ever owned a 440C knife???

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #84 on: May 14, 2015, 08:56:54 AM

solution  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline styx

Reply #85 on: May 14, 2015, 08:59:57 AM

Reply #86 on: May 14, 2015, 09:03:13 AM
Bargain I'll buy 10 :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #87 on: May 14, 2015, 09:03:40 AM
GEC uses 440C on its SS models and it is fine on the ones I have, though I seem to like D2 a bit more.

With these you get a pretty good, fancier, SS (..ish for D2) without the extra premium of more modern/in fashion steels

1095 seems to be the easiest to sharpen when damaged, from my limited experience.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #88 on: May 14, 2015, 09:06:11 AM
Bargain I'll buy 10 :D
(Image removed from quote.)

solution  :D

And you can get it for under $2

under 90 cents   :D 

http://www.[url=http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,55947.0.html]SPAMCORP.com/Tactical-Army-Knife-Card-Lifesaving-Multifunctional-Tool-Card-Outdoor-p-930973.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Cout-fbb-RM-unbeat-knife&utm_content=Winnie&utm_design=27&gclid=CJ2hqPrSwMUCFQcTwwodGqEAvw[/url]

Actually I have a few and for opening bottles, prying, opening mail, small cutting jobs they are fine - sometimes I wonder if I actually need anything better in the house/office...

Reply #89 on: May 14, 2015, 09:08:28 AM
I usually get at least one for my birthday and Xmas :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!