Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman Core Review-Old School Cool

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Leatherman Core Review-Old School Cool
on: May 05, 2015, 06:34:29 AM

The Leatherman Core is a diesel truck. Of course I mean this metaphorically, but this multitool is for the man who drives a white Ford F-350 Powerstroke to his blue collar job every day and loves it. This multitool is such a simple formula, no replaceable wirecutters, outside opening tools, or contoured handles, this is pure meat. Is the Supertool 300 a better multitool? Yes. So why is it that I paid close to the price of a new ST300 for a used, Ebay special Core with a broken flathead and busted sheath? Because of the aesthetics, honestly. I absolutely love the look of the classic plier head without the 154cm Cutters. It's so clean and unsophisticated, just like the rest of the Core's design. The handles are straight blocks, no cutouts here. And the leather sheath is so appealing to me as well. The yellow lettering contrasting the black leather makes me think of Dewalt power tools and Caterpillar machines. It's just plain good looking.

Philosophy
When I bought this tool, I paid almost the same as a brand new ST300. Crazy, considering that it is a used tool with a broken driver and the stitching worn out of the sheath. Plus the fact that the tool is dated to be from May, 2007, eight years ago. I think that price wise, this tool is somewhere in a status that Ebay sellers emphasize the "Discontinued" more than the "Used". I think that the prices are reflecting a collector price more than a user price. This Core definitely had a strange life before me. I can't really make heads or tails of it. The seller that I bought it from sold classic video games primarily and the tool is in rather odd condition. The largest screwdriver is chipped off, but shows no other signs of wear. The whole tool is pretty much mint actually. The sheath doesn't have hardly any wear at all, but all of the stitching down the back is broken, making it a bear to put on a belt. Maybe someone carried it for a few days, tried to crack open a bank vault and broke the big flathead, then lost faith in the MT and it sat in a drawer for eight years.

Tool Review

Large Flathead

As stated previously, it's chipped bad. I'm not really sure what to do with it. Maybe a trip to the bench grinder would be the best thing to do. It's a huge screwdriver anyway. Probably more of a mini prybar for most people.

Medium Flathead and Awl

The medium flathead is a good size and is hollow ground. The awl is big and broad. It reminds me of the new Leatherman Signal Awl. It works great, as you would expect.

Phillips Driver And Small Flathead

The small flathead is probably going to be the most used for me. It is just the right size for things like furniture screws, an application where flatheads still prevail. I used the phillips quite a bit today. I liked the long shank.

Knife Blades

This tool is probably made for the person who doesn't carry a dedicated folder. These knives are huge and thick. As you can see here, the plain edge is almost as long as the blade on my Ontario Rat 1, a fairly large tactical folder.

The Serrated Blade is big and not something that I would really ever use. I do like the Leatherman stamp on the blade tangs though.

Can Opener

I didn't know that the can opener got bigger on the bigger tools, but it does. Perfect for ripping open a big can of Stagg Chilli to eat while you're Heli-Logging in British Columbia. Sharp enough to use as a box opener if you have any squeamish people around.

File and Lanyard Ring

The file is good. Metal file on one side and Wood on the other side. It's got a file on the bottom too. Handy! Yes, it doesn't have a diamond file, but it's not made for that kind of market.
This tool is too manly for a lanyard ring. I'm really not a fan of these lanyard rings because they just get in the way for me. Constantly flipping out when I don't want them.

Saw

The saw works great and is big enough to actually cut through lumber effectively. I like it a lot better than the Rebar saw

Plierhead

The pliers are just great on this tool, I love the little milled out areas beside the wire cutters. They don't have the replaceable cutters of the ST300, but the old style cutters are sharper and cut wire more easily. Besides, if you ever break your plier head (which I seriously doubt) you can send it in to Leatherman and they might even hook you up with an ST300 because the Core is discontinued.

Pros and Cons

Pro
-Very Sturdy and Tool-Like
-Classic Looks
-Impressive Knife

Cons
-Too Many Flatheads
-Poorly Thought out Lanyard Ring
-Serrated Blade instead of Scissors

Conclusion

A lot of people pick on the core because of it's zytel inserts. I can see this to a degree, because zytel will wear faster than steel, but even on this tool it hasn't compromised the quality at all. Yes, the pliers swing open a little easier, but they're fine once the plier springs engage. The 10.6 oz Core is actually a full 1.2 ounces heavier than the ST300. A lot of people would complain about that, but I really don't notice it on my side. As long as it's not flopping around, I don't think that it's weight is a big deal. The shape of this tool is so simple and quintessentially leatherman. It's even simpler than a PST. I don't think that Leatherman will ever make a tool that is as simple as the Core. Just look at the Mut, Wingman, and Signal. All examples of how Leatherman is moving to stylizing their tools. If you want to own a piece of Leatherman history, buy a Core.

I will be posting some outdoor pictures of my Core later in some other topics. I hope that you enjoyed my review!

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Leatherman Core Review-Old School Cool
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 07:19:27 AM
 :tu: Great review.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 07:39:03 AM

+1 Like the Core I do.  :tu:

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 07:39:37 AM

Thanks Kampfer and Zoidberg. I kind of wanted to talk more philosophy than tools on this review because there is no real reason to re-review tools that have been the same for 10 years. Besides, most of the folks on here are more interested in hearing about the ideas behind a tool rather than hear me describe a flathead screwdriver.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 09:08:23 AM
Great review :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43:30 AM
Nice review Leathermended It!

Like me, it seems you are a sucker for tradition and history and the old simple ways!!
- eg I recently acquired a 94 PST - And love the leather sheath that came with it - It seems to be exactly the same design as your one for the Core
I also feel the same as you about the replaceable cutters etc - I do not use my tools heavily - So although this is a great feature - It's not needed at all by me.

Funnily enough I was thinking about the Core just recently after reading the Leatherman History thread on this forum.
I noticed the 'gap' in the Supertool name/progression - So am I correct in thinking that the model evolution for this tool family is:
  • Supertool - was replaced by ....
  • Supertool 200 - was replaced by ....
  • Core - was replaced by ....
  • Supertool 300
Ie The Supertool name only took a 5 or 6 year break to be replaced by the Core - Now they are back using the Suoertool name for that family of tools.

PS. Grinding down the large flathead would be a great fix to the chip I'd say - and the stitching could have just degraded over time (as fabric can do) - It could be restitched with a strong needle (although not a LM or SAK holed awl!!)

PPS. Also agree about all the flat heads - What is it with LM and flatheads? (eg 3 in the Juices too) when most screws I see these days seem to be Phillips. 

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 10:33:58 AM
Nice review Leathermended It!

Like me, it seems you are a sucker for tradition and history and the old simple ways!!
- eg I recently acquired a 94 PST - And love the leather sheath that came with it - It seems to be exactly the same design as your one for the Core
I also feel the same as you about the replaceable cutters etc - I do not use my tools heavily - So although this is a great feature - It's not needed at all by me.

Funnily enough I was thinking about the Core just recently after reading the Leatherman History thread on this forum.
I noticed the 'gap' in the Supertool name/progression - So am I correct in thinking that the model evolution for this tool family is:
  • Supertool - was replaced by ....
  • Supertool 200 - was replaced by ....
  • Core - was replaced by ....
  • Supertool 300
Ie The Supertool name only took a 5 or 6 year break to be replaced by the Core - Now they are back using the Suoertool name for that family of tools.

PS. Grinding down the large flathead would be a great fix to the chip I'd say - and the stitching could have just degraded over time (as fabric can do) - It could be restitched with a strong needle (although not a LM or SAK holed awl!!)

PPS. Also agree about all the flat heads - What is it with LM and flatheads? (eg 3 in the Juices too) when most screws I see these days seem to be Phillips.

In 2004 they released the Blast, Fuse, Kick, Charge Ti, XTi and New Wave.
In 2005 they released the Core and Surge.
With zytel inserts and non tapered handles it fits in more with them than the STs IMO.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2015, 10:50:51 AM
Thanks Z,

I guess I was thinking more about size and toolset rather than handle construction.
ie The STs and Core are all 4.5" tools and have almost identical tool sets.

Also they are all seem like bigger brothers to the PST in terms of their handle design (eg compared to Wave, Skele, Wingman etc) - Although not so much the Core in this case.

H

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:27 AM
PS. Also ....

The dates the previous tool was withdrawn = the date the next tool came out - which makes me think they were a progression...
I have put them in the list - Courtesy of the LM production history thread !!

1.Supertool {1994 - 2001}
2.Supertool 200 {2001-2005}
3.Core {2005 - 2009}
4.Supertool 300 {2009 - xxxx}-

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 11:07:42 AM
Excellent review  :tu:

I have a Core, and when I had the boat it was one of the tools "stationed" there. The Core is one of the tools that feels like it can take anything thrown at it. The knives, file and saw, are all long enough to compensate for the disadvantages of being inboard, and the drivers have good reach.

It's only the bulk, splayed handles, and overall poor ergonomics for anyone of an average or below average hand size that stops me using it more. Leatherman have never been ableto grasp the concept that people with smaller hand sizes sometimes need heavy duty tools too

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 11:22:08 AM
Thanks Z,

I guess I was thinking more about size and toolset rather than handle construction.
ie The STs and Core are all 4.5" tools and have almost identical tool sets.

Also they are all seem like bigger brothers to the PST in terms of their handle design (eg compared to Wave, Skele, Wingman etc) - Although not so much the Core in this case.

H

I know what you mean.  ;)  It fits when you think of them upgrading a few different things every release. I was just being picky.  :angel:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 01:11:12 PM
Great review mate. :salute:  Can a Core owner confirm something for me?  Do the component tools all come out indvidually (as with the Blast family), or do they clump in the same way as the ST300?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 03:15:01 PM
I'd be more than happy to confirm that Gareth. :tu: Unfortunately mine is in the car, and that's like downstairs and outside and stuff ... and it's raining

:rofl:

I'll have a look later if nobody answers before  ;)

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 03:15:55 PM
Just checked mine, no clumping.  They all come out individually.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 03:23:57 PM
Phew! Thanks Eddie  :salute:

I was at risk of having to get off my arse for a moment then :dwts:

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 03:27:12 PM
Haha, don't want that ;)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 03:47:07 PM
Great review mate. :salute:  Can a Core owner confirm something for me?  Do the component tools all come out indvidually (as with the Blast family), or do they clump in the same way as the ST300?

Individual on mine....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 04:50:00 PM
Cool review. I never realized the Core had Zytel inserts. You can't see them like you can on the Kick and Blast. Can you post a picture showing them, please?

I saw a Core in person last summer at a taxidermist shop, but I didn't get to fondle it :( It is such a plain looking tool by todays standards - rounded on both ends, no body taper near the plier head, no finger cutouts like the rest of the zytel line. Just a big, fat tool box of a multi-tool.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 05:25:18 PM
A quick pic or two.....

core1.JPG
* core1.JPG (Filesize: 67.49 KB)
Core2.JPG
* Core2.JPG (Filesize: 76.14 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 06, 2015, 06:46:18 PM
Just checked mine, no clumping.  They all come out individually.

Individual on mine....

Thanks gents. :cheers:

I'd be more than happy to confirm that Gareth. :tu: Unfortunately mine is in the car, and that's like downstairs and outside and stuff ... and it's raining

:rofl:

I'll have a look later if nobody answers before  ;)

Yeah, thanks for nothing. ::)

:D :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 06, 2015, 08:40:42 PM
Glad I could be of assistance  :tu: :D

it Offline SolomonKane79

• Don't send flowers, but marlin spikes!
Reply #21 on: June 06, 2015, 06:09:22 PM
Great review!  :cheers:
The Core is a freaking panzer. Do not understimate the serrated blade, it is better than the one on the ST300 IMHO, and it can handle almost anything you throw at it. As i said in another thread, if i had to choose only one multi in a SHTF scenario, it could be the Core.  :multi:
Antonio

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 06, 2015, 11:45:40 PM
The Core is one of my favorites.  It has a strange, retro flavor to it that I find appealing.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 12:43:29 PM
The local gun store has a few Cores I think, still brand new and in package...but at high Canadian prices.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44