Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Padoza 2 for first folder?

Demel · 26 · 1715

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
CRKT Padoza 2 for first folder?
on: May 06, 2015, 04:54:46 AM
I am thinking about testing the waters of folders. I edc a multi and have been indifferent about carrying a dedicated folder. But I am always looking to change. After going thru the crkt, kershaw, and spyderco catalogs the padoza 2 seems like it may work for me. I'll check sog later.

I am looking for a deep carry pocket clip, preferably tip down, sub 3", and no "wave" feature. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: CRKT Padoza 2 for first folder?
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:15:27 AM
If you are only looking for deep carry clips it greatly restricts your choices. I would personally pass on the Padoza 2.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 05:17:14 AM
Why pass on it? Deep carry isn't a deal breaker but definatly a bonus. What would you suggest?
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 05:35:33 AM
Its just not a folder I like or would carry. I guess since you are not into folders you have not found what you like or dislike or certain things that are a must or deal breakers. The deal breaker for me on the Padoza 2 is the single position for the pocket clip. I also am not a huge fan of the blade steel, but for the price it is fine. I just think its a ugly knife in general and don't like the aesthetics especially the oval deployment hole. I'm just nit picking here. I guess when I said I would personally pass I meant it literally in "I" would pass as it is not for me. It may well be right for you though.

Suggestions depend on how much you are willing to spend.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 05:52:39 AM
Anything in particular in a folder you think you might want?  I think for a first folder blade steel may not matter much.  I have several knives now from cpm s30v, n690co, vg10, aus8, 420c, 1095, 154cm, 8cr13mov, etc and each one does what I ask.  I have G10, micarta, fiberglass reinforced nylon , cellidor, metal, leather and each feels great in hand dependent on what I'm doing.

Capt is more experienced than I am when it comes to knives so he knows his stuff.  I can only add get a knife that you dig and one that size wise will be enough for you to do the intended work.  Metal handles are slippery by nature but g10 and micarta for me are grippier as well as the FRN scales. 

I wouldn't worry to much about steels just yet IMO so long as you have a way to sharpen.  I have a Ganzo made of 420c that is wicked sharp and has held a fantastic edge.  There are some very nice cheap and cheerful blades out there like the Ganzo G710 ( benchmade inspired ) one I have. 

Have fun and test drive one that appeals to you.       
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 06:01:52 AM
Anything in particular in a folder you think you might want?  I think for a first folder blade steel may not matter much.  I have several knives now from cpm s30v, n690co, vg10, aus8, 420c, 1095, 154cm, 8cr13mov, etc and each one does what I ask.  I have G10, micarta, fiberglass reinforced nylon , cellidor, metal, leather and each feels great in hand dependent on what I'm doing.

Capt is more experienced than I am when it comes to knives so he knows his stuff.  I can only add get a knife that you dig and one that size wise will be enough for you to do the intended work.  Metal handles are slippery by nature but g10 and micarta for me are grippier as well as the FRN scales. 

I wouldn't worry to much about steels just yet IMO so long as you have a way to sharpen.  I have a Ganzo made of 420c that is wicked sharp and has held a fantastic edge.  There are some very nice cheap and cheerful blades out there like the Ganzo G710 ( benchmade inspired ) one I have. 

Have fun and test drive one that appeals to you.     

You are definitely right. For a first knife steel is not very important.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:41 AM
Spyderco Ambitious is a nice little folder.  Kershaw Scallion or Chive are both fun knives
Kershaw Cryo is a heavy knife but one of my favorites. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 06:34:43 AM
Spyderco Ambitious is a nice little folder.  Kershaw Scallion or Chive are both fun knives
Kershaw Cryo is a heavy knife but one of my favorites.

I was going to mention the Cryo. Deep carry clip as well.
I'm the milk man!

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 07:20:44 AM
Personally I would also not buy a Pazoda but I have some friends sons who got them as their first knives because of the cost. I dislike the flimsy feel of the frame lock bar and the heavy scales. In that range I would go for the Drifter G10.
If you are a student or cannot get money together for another knife get the Pazoda or Drifter. Its passable within its limitations of clip position and dirt cheap.
It will probably do most tasks you expect from am EDC knife (I'd suggest the plain edge and a good sharpening system)

My real suggestion would be a Byrd Meadowlark 2 G10 or a Spyderco Persistence.
If you want a small frame lock get a SanRenMu 710.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 04:47:09 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I like the cryo and the persistance. Does someone have both to do a comparison pic? I noticed the delica 4  but it's a bit pricecy.  Aloha007: your right blade steel isn't really important to me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2015, 05:08:42 PM
Tinker
Ambitious  I dont have a persistence.
Cryo
Delica 4
Leek

NO blade over 3 inches.  Blade steel can be important later down the road but early on getting a knife that you'll use is most important. 

IMG_7683.jpg
* IMG_7683.jpg (Filesize: 212.13 KB)
IMG_7684.jpg
* IMG_7684.jpg (Filesize: 193 KB)
IMG_7685.jpg
* IMG_7685.jpg (Filesize: 200.94 KB)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:10:59 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2015, 07:14:33 PM
Great pics 007  :tu: :tu: the delica looks like it is VERY comfortable in hand.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2015, 07:40:43 PM
It really is quite a knife.  I also really like the Native.  Yes both have nicer steels but the blades and handles were the winners for me.  VG10 and CPMS30V if anyone is interested but it's the serrations that closed the deal for me.  Spyderco makes some of the nicest serrated edges IMO.

The Cryo has a deep pocket clip and is well made.  I love to flick the Leek open and since getting a new torsion bar/spring it flies open.  It is a bit slick in hand but very thin and razor sharp.   

The Native is a bit more but worth every penny. 

There are some really good budget knives on the market so have a look around.  I know for example Kershaw has a terrific line of knives under $30 that would be a good place to start.  You can find one that best meets your idea now of the "perfect" knife with little invested.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2015, 08:32:57 PM
Good suggestions, also check out the Ontario Rat II as it's a great little knife !

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2015, 10:50:21 PM
Thanks again for the help. Stopped at the hardware store today and noticed this guy. Got it. Easier to return to the store if it doesn't work out than online. Let's hope for the best. I'll give my thoughts after a couple days usage. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2015, 10:54:56 PM
Nice! Honestly the only thing I would say might be a issue is the weight since you are not used to carrying a folder, but if you wear blue jeans or are just a person who does not mind/notice heavy-ish knives than I suspect you will like the Cryo. I love the design of the Cryo and they perform well. Can't wait to hear what you think.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2015, 10:56:54 PM
Nice! Honestly the only thing I would say might be a issue is the weight since you are not used to carrying a folder, but if you wear blue jeans or are just a person who does not mind/notice heavy-ish knives than I suspect you will like the Cryo. I love the design of the Cryo and they perform well. Can't wait to hear what you think.  :tu:
I'm not too concerned. I'm used to pocket carrying a multi (love the wave) so weight isn't a factor for me as long as I have a pocket clip.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2015, 11:03:24 PM
I'm not too concerned. I'm used to pocket carrying a multi (love the wave) so weight isn't a factor for me as long as I have a pocket clip.

If you are used to carrying the Wave with a clip you will barely feel the Cryo.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 01:55:30 AM
Initial thoughts. It came out the package RAZOR SHARP. I love that. Deep pocket carry is nice. The assisted opening flipper is nice as well. Overall I am pleased. It's only the first day so time will tell.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: May 07, 2015, 02:08:29 AM
Kershaw sure does sharpen their blades well! My Cryo II was sharper than my Sebenza.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 05:49:56 AM
Kershaw sure does sharpen their blades well! My Cryo II was sharper than my Sebenza.
That is actually fairly disappointing..........

I mean Kudos to Kershaw. They are a great company other than some lock issues.

But how dull was the Sebenza?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: May 07, 2015, 06:23:49 AM
The Cryo is a Rick Hinderer design so I would hope Kershaw would do right by the knife.  Mine was also razor sharp with no issues.  I did notice the weight but I'd already had a few knives by this time.  I don't mind it at all in this particular design.

Glad to hear you pulled the trigger on something.  Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on this and in general about carrying a dedicated knife.   

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 07, 2015, 07:07:02 PM
Here is a decent pic of the cryo with my current "knife" collection. One thing I like and dislike are the cosmetics of it. It's very plain but that's also a good thing because it draws less attention.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 11, 2015, 01:16:25 AM
I don't know if an assisted opening knife is really appropriate for a first knife.  The Pazoda 2 is solid if unspectacular.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: May 11, 2015, 02:19:41 AM
I don't know if an assisted opening knife is really appropriate for a first knife.  The Pazoda 2 is solid if unspectacular.
It's more a first dedicated folder. Not a first knife per se. If that makes sense

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
Reply #25 on: May 11, 2015, 08:06:01 AM

Why does the action come into a first knife argument at all?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%