Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My EDC Flashlight History

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
My EDC Flashlight History
on: May 07, 2015, 07:49:49 PM
Yes, this is strictly for the Flashlight badge, but I hope it's (ahem) illuminating.

In the late 1980s, I traded my oldest brother a fixed blade Buck knife for a mini maglight. I'd like to say that this was the beginning of my EDC flashlight carry, but it actually was something of an aborted effort. The big problem was that the Mini Maglight was camouflage, and I dropped it into leaf clutter, never to be seen again. Bummer. :(

In the mid 1990s, I took a scuba class for open water dive certification, and purchased a dive light.

If it wasn't this exact model, it was very near. (Hopefully the pic will link). The Underwater Kenetics Q40.

It used 4 AAs, was incredibly bright, and ran forever on those four batteries. And, obviously, it was waterproof. That light died on me in 2010. It had a good run, and I would have replaced it, except that it was kind of pricey, and kind of bulky compared to what I thought i could find.

That led me back to the Mini maglight. It wasn't exactly on a whim, but I ended up grabbing a mini mag from Home Depot one day, when I saw a newer LED model. It had a number of modes, and I figured I'd give it a run. And I probably would have been happy with it... until I joined MT.O, and YOU smurfs started talking about all the awesome little lights available. If the micro mag had been available in LED at that time, I'd have just gotten that and been done with it.

But someone, don't remember who, convinced me to get the Preon 01. I DO remember the selling point for me was that the modes on the Preon go from low to high. That is, IMO, how it should always be. I've discussed elsewhere how this light wandered away and finally returned.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,41659.msg665233.html
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,48325.msg801435.html#msg801435

In the interim, my flashlight needs were met by the little silver keychain light pictured in the linked thread's first post. This thread also covers my experience with 'Fauxton' flashlights. The TLDR: Worth every cent.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,43884.msg852672.html

After my Preon returned to me, I was in a shop and saw the Preon A0 Titanium. I don't know if it was exactly an impulse buy, but very near. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33813.msg808108.html#msg808108

And... that's been it. So, what have I learned? I prefer flood to throw. I generally need a light that does 10 lumens or less, but it's REALLY nice on a few occasions to have one in the 100 lumen range. If I could make my optimal light, it would have a low 'moonlight' mode 1/4 lumen, then a 10 lumen mode, then a 100 lumen mode. I have never once needed strobe, flash, SOS, etc modes. I love the single AAA lights' compact size. Both my Preons are single cell AAA lights, and both run for a fantastically long time on one battery. I am NOT a fan of the magnet in the tail of the A0. Beyond not being useful, it's actively annoying, and the one real reason I don't carry the light.

But here's the real, REAL truth about my EDC flashlight experience: I almost never need more than a little 50 cent Fauxton flashlight affords me. They run for years of regular use, weight almost nothing, withstand the rigors of normal daily use, and the solution to one failing is simply to carry a second as backup, since they're cheaper to buy new than to replace the battery.

I still carry the Preon 01, because sometimes I really do want a lot more light that a Fauxton cranks out. It has been a pretty good light. If I could change things on it, I'd like some knurling on the head to make turning it on easier, and I'd prefer a pocket clip facing the opposite direction (to make clipping it to the bill of a baseball cap for hands-free use easier). Neither of these are deal-breakers for me though.

I also find that the Mini Mag seems to be a good fit for my car kit. Along with being cheap enough that I wouldn't be heartbroken if it were stolen, I think the flashing mode might be nice for roadside repair safety. Smart observers will also notice that while the flashlight is black, it has a BRIGHT ORANGE paracord lanyard. No more losing in leaf clutter, one would hope. :D

When our finances look better, I will probably go on a hunt again for the 'ultimate' flashlight. But I'm happy with what I have now.

In evaluating all this... I think I could happily get rid of the A0. It's neat, but utterly unnecessary.

From top to bottom: Mini Maglight, Preon 01, Preon A0-Ti, Fauxton.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: My EDC Flashlight History
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:53:26 PM
A badge well earned I'd say. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 12:16:20 AM
A badge well earned I'd say. :tu:

+1.  :tu:

This thread brought back memories of a flashlight I had as a kid. I want one for nostalgia purposes!

http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/Duracell-Flashlight-DFC-Hand-Held-Compact-with-Copper-Top-2AA-1985

The link is to a interesting website. Some very old flashlights. I didn't look around much but stuff from the 1800's.
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 12:23:17 AM
This Duracell has to be the first torch I remember being proud of owning. :dd:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 12:43:29 AM

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 01:50:22 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

Is this it? Don't get excited. Its not a current listing. I was just wondering.

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-duracell-durabeam-pocket-281905689
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 01:51:40 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 01:55:41 AM

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-duracell-durabeam-pocket-281905689

That's the one.  Sadly the only ones I can find for sale there are modern reproductions and are £9.99.  A little too much for a bit of nostalgia.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 02:39:48 AM

That's the one.  Sadly the only ones I can find for sale there are modern reproductions and are £9.99.  A little too much for a bit of nostalgia.

For a reproduction yes. If you could find a original one that works I personally think £9.99 would be alright depending how much you really want one.
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD