Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Playing with a tarp.

Gareth · 62 · 3889

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Playing with a tarp.
on: May 08, 2015, 01:12:55 PM
Inspired by Nate I decided to spend a little time looking at ways of making camping a little more 'outdoors'.  First up is an old tent I was given years ago, but without any poles. ::)  Also the lack of a closing door had always made it an unattractive prospect.  However for the purposes of being able to see the sky it's not bad.  The only thing I wouldn't be sure about is the fact it's rather short and getting wet if raining would still be a possibility.  Still, there is enough room for my bed roll and any extra kit.
2015-05-08 10.59.22.jpg
* 2015-05-08 10.59.22.jpg (Filesize: 103.4 KB)
2015-05-08 11.00.34.jpg
* 2015-05-08 11.00.34.jpg (Filesize: 94.47 KB)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Playing with a tarp.
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:21:10 PM
Next I had a play with an actual tarp.  This isn't some fancy camping tarp though, just something that I had kicking around.  One problem I have with the idea of 'tarping' is that it often relies on the idea of stringing it between two trees.  So what do you do if you don't have any suitable trees to use?  Well, this is my first stab at a solution.  Obviously the walking poles could be replaced with some sticks, but as I tend to hike with the poles anyway I'd likely have them with me anyway.

Constructive criticism always welcome. :D
2015-05-08 11.41.58.jpg
* 2015-05-08 11.41.58.jpg (Filesize: 108.17 KB)
2015-05-08 11.41.43.jpg
* 2015-05-08 11.41.43.jpg (Filesize: 109.76 KB)
2015-05-08 11.44.58.jpg
* 2015-05-08 11.44.58.jpg (Filesize: 99.92 KB)
2015-05-08 11.42.15.jpg
* 2015-05-08 11.42.15.jpg (Filesize: 81.79 KB)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:38:38 PM
Nice - I'm a big fan of tarp camping.  That tent fly looks pretty good - you could pitch the sides out wider with some short guylines to increase the space underneath and sleep diagonally, and unless it's really wet and windy you should be ok.  Walking poles seem like a good idea, and they're adjustable so you can tweak the height of the pitch.

I've only got a pic of my older tarp - an Alpkit Rig 7 - pitched with a single 4-piece aluminium pole:

I've now switched to a much smaller tarp (1.5 x 2.2m), pitched with the long pole at the head and a short pole at the foot to lift the other end slightly.  I normally use it with a bivvy bag to keep my sleeping bag dry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:38:32 PM
I like the idea of widening out the fly with short guy lines. :tu:

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 08:15:50 PM
Some good ideas there gents :)

Dave Canterbury did a very good vid on all the ways to vary a tarp :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 12:01:36 AM
I'll have to look that one up. :)

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 12:04:13 AM
If I can find it I'll post it here :)

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 12:13:19 AM

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 12:14:17 AM
Careful...
62036294.jpg
* 62036294.jpg (Filesize: 80.27 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 03:31:51 PM
Nice - I'm a big fan of tarp camping.  That tent fly looks pretty good - you could pitch the sides out wider with some short guylines to increase the space underneath and sleep diagonally, and unless it's really wet and windy you should be ok.  Walking poles seem like a good idea, and they're adjustable so you can tweak the height of the pitch.

Running with this excellent suggestion I've had another go.  Yes, I've lost some of the height, but the reduced opening at the front actually seems like a better idea anyway.  I'm expecting more rain in the next day or so, so I'm going to leave this up and see if the bed gets wet. :D
2015-05-09 13.48.22.jpg
* 2015-05-09 13.48.22.jpg (Filesize: 98.52 KB)
2015-05-09 13.44.06.jpg
* 2015-05-09 13.44.06.jpg (Filesize: 74.14 KB)

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 04:49:49 PM
 :tu:

You need to sleep out under it tonight. :pok:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2015, 05:16:33 PM
:tu:

You need to sleep out under it tonight. :pok:

errr....no.  I don't think I need to be in it to see if it gets wet. :P

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2015, 05:19:46 PM
Cool thread, never camp under just a tarp but it sure looks interesting to try!(Local weather is very very hot and humid in summer, probably more viable in fall/winter time).

I had been reading on how many thru hikers arrange their gears for long distance hiking/camping trip, and some of them also carry some kind of ultra light ground sheet to go with their tarps, just to prevent the sleeping bag getting damped/soaked wet.  Maybe some trash bag underneath to moisture proof a little?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 09, 2015, 05:41:28 PM
In theory the green cover I have over my sleeping bag and pad is waterproof on the bottom.  It's an ex-Czech Army sleeping cover as seen here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvS3rAV_fOg

I didn't get the cotton sheet or wool blanket with mine as I'm very happy with my bag and mat combo and really only wanted an extra layer to act as a ground sheet.  The extra layer on top should also help reduce the amount of body heat lost.  That's my theory anyway. :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 09, 2015, 06:57:51 PM
The test has begun.  In other words; it's raining like cats and dogs. Again. ::)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 05:23:38 PM
Hows the tent/tarp for misting through in heavy rain? That was the only problem I found with my small tarp tent, and will probably use a bivvy bag with it next time the rain is bad.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 08:15:21 PM
Well, it's been up for over 24 hours and there's been some mixed rain, wind and cloud.  Not a constant downpour by any standard, but still pretty wet.  The good news is that the 'tarp' did it's job very well, the top of my Czech cover feels bone dry as does the sleeping bag. 

However, the story's not so good when it comes to the bottom of the mat, the Czech cover didn't keep it's end up and has let quite a bit of water through to the underside of my sleeping mat.  Both now drying out in my garage. :-\

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 09:23:51 PM
Some interesting ideas!
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #18 on: May 10, 2015, 10:11:42 PM
Hows the tent/tarp for misting through in heavy rain? That was the only problem I found with my small tarp tent, and will probably use a bivvy bag with it next time the rain is bad.

Exactly, the tarp/basha is good for keeping the big stuff off nut you need a bivi to stay completely dry
“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 01:28:55 PM
Well, it's been up for over 24 hours and there's been some mixed rain, wind and cloud.  Not a constant downpour by any standard, but still pretty wet.  The good news is that the 'tarp' did it's job very well, the top of my Czech cover feels bone dry as does the sleeping bag. 

However, the story's not so good when it comes to the bottom of the mat, the Czech cover didn't keep it's end up and has let quite a bit of water through to the underside of my sleeping mat.  Both now drying out in my garage. :-\

I saw your vid and was too thinking it was promising, do you think the water soak through the side or do the moisture permeated the 'waterproof' layer?  I have seen some ultra light hikers use high tech material, like Tyvek or Cuben Fiber Material as ground sheet, but they probably are quite expensive.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 11, 2015, 05:20:30 PM

I saw your vid and was too thinking it was promising, do you think the water soak through the side or do the moisture permeated the 'waterproof' layer?  I have seen some ultra light hikers use high tech material, like Tyvek or Cuben Fiber Material as ground sheet, but they probably are quite expensive.

To be totally clear, that's not my video, just one showing the same product (I think you know that, but I wanted to be sure :)). 

To answer the question; it was definitely the bottom 'waterproof' layer that leaked.  The soaking was far too even for me to think anything else.  To be fair though it is second hand and I've not idea how well it's been looked after.  I'll be getting some waterproofing spray and treating it before trying it again.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 04:35:59 PM

To be totally clear, that's not my video, just one showing the same product (I think you know that, but I wanted to be sure :)). 

To answer the question; it was definitely the bottom 'waterproof' layer that leaked.  The soaking was far too even for me to think anything else.  To be fair though it is second hand and I've not idea how well it's been looked after.  I'll be getting some waterproofing spray and treating it before trying it again.

Thanks for the clearing, I wasn't 100% sure but now am now. :)

Hope it works out for you, I often time feel whatever fabric that advertise as 'waterproof' will eventually leak, unless they are rubbery like a waterbag...but that's totally another story.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 06:47:42 PM
Good timing on the thread bump Comis, I've just got in some spray to treat the cover so I'll be playing again in a day or two. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 04:23:40 PM
Tested the "tent" tarp and Czech cover again after a liberal coating in Fabsil.  The tarp did it's job very well, no leaking and it's still standing despite the strong winds we've got ATM.  Sadly the Czech cover is still letting in some damp, not as badly as before, but still not 100% dry either. :-\

Anyone got any recommendations on cheap bivi bags?  I've already got an old fashioned orange survival bag that would work, but I don't much like the idea of sleeping in an over-sized bin bag if I can help it.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 04:28:44 PM
Alpkit Hunka: https://www.alpkit.com/products/hunka  Been using one for a few years and I'm very happy with it.

Get the XL if you want to get your sleeping mat in the bag with you - some people prefer this.  I don't, because I shift around loads while I'm asleep.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 01, 2015, 07:28:51 PM
When I was active in the Boy Scouts, we used Bundeswehr (German Army) Ponchos as Rain gear and Ground sheath. Not the lightest product on earth, but big enough that you can sleep on it.
I don´t know if this is common knowledge, but many german scouts use tents inspired by the northern Kotta, called Kote up til today. Its a tent built from 4 black cotton parts and we used to cover the ground with Ponchos and have the cooking fire in the middle.

You can build nice improvised tents with only one or 2 of the tent planes (Is taht a word?!) and construct bigger tents with more parts.

Back to the Poncho: It has eyelets on the corners and halfway on the sides and pushbuttons so you can button the sides up in the rain or make a bivy bag. Only downside is the hood is made to be worn over a helmet, so you usually don´t see anything when wearing it...

I can grab you one in a Surplus store if you want to test it.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #26 on: June 02, 2015, 02:42:34 PM
I am not sure how I missed this thread!
I love using tarps for camping and swore off tents years ago. Best part about tarps is you can use them with a good fire and keep really toasty and dry when it is cold or wet. I made a rip stop nylon tarp then sealed it with silicon. Works great and is light as a feather and packs up nicely.
Nice job using the poles for 'trees' Gareth. I tend to use sticks along with my hiking staff if I take it with me. Also some configurations will let you have flaps for the front of you tarp.
Great thread Gareth! Thanks for sharing.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #27 on: June 02, 2015, 02:50:41 PM
When I was active in the Boy Scouts, we used Bundeswehr (German Army) Ponchos as Rain gear and Ground sheath. Not the lightest product on earth, but big enough that you can sleep on it.
I don´t know if this is common knowledge, but many german scouts use tents inspired by the northern Kotta, called Kote up til today. Its a tent built from 4 black cotton parts and we used to cover the ground with Ponchos and have the cooking fire in the middle.

You can build nice improvised tents with only one or 2 of the tent planes (Is taht a word?!) and construct bigger tents with more parts.

Back to the Poncho: It has eyelets on the corners and halfway on the sides and pushbuttons so you can button the sides up in the rain or make a bivy bag. Only downside is the hood is made to be worn over a helmet, so you usually don´t see anything when wearing it...

I can grab you one in a Surplus store if you want to test it.

Nice offer mate, but I'll pass just now. :salute:

I am not sure how I missed this thread!
I love using tarps for camping and swore off tents years ago. Best part about tarps is you can use them with a good fire and keep really toasty and dry when it is cold or wet. I made a rip stop nylon tarp then sealed it with silicon. Works great and is light as a feather and packs up nicely.
Nice job using the poles for 'trees' Gareth. I tend to use sticks along with my hiking staff if I take it with me. Also some configurations will let you have flaps for the front of you tarp.
Great thread Gareth! Thanks for sharing.

Nate
That's us mobile

Cheers buddy.  :cheers:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2015, 11:08:39 AM
Got out for a quick wild camp on the bike last night in the Elan Valley. Took the tarp and bivvy bag and slept out at 500m to avoid the midges.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #29 on: June 14, 2015, 11:27:51 AM

Got out for a quick wild camp on the bike last night in the Elan Valley. Took the tarp and bivvy bag and slept out at 500m to avoid the midges.

Nice little setup and wow, what a place. That looks awesome!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%