Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Re Charge with Wingman Scissors

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Re Charge with Wingman Scissors
on: May 09, 2015, 08:08:38 AM
Just thought I'd show you all my latest mod! Charge Ti with Rebar plier head, Phillips and medium flat driver and Wingman scissors.

darren

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Re Charge with Wingman Scissors
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:24:32 AM
Bonzer hack mate.  :2tu:

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 08:32:57 AM
darren

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:24:28 PM
very nice work, mate! :cheers:

it doesn't look like you needed to grind the drivers at all... did you use zoidberg's method of removing the blade safety pins entirely? ;)

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 09:28:14 PM
Nicely done   :tu: :tu:

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 10:02:44 PM
 :clap:
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline zimchaz

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 10:05:50 PM

it doesn't look like you needed to grind the drivers at all... did you use zoidberg's method of removing the blade safety pins entirely? ;)
How exactly do you achieve that without compromising the locking spring?

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 12:07:51 AM

:cheers:   I only needed to grind less than 1mm off the serrated blade safety pin and snapped off both plier rests. The scissors took a bit more work, but even that was relatively easy, just open up the pivot a little and grind the locking edge down a bit.
darren

us Offline carlb

Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 04:48:39 AM
Can I ask why you had to grind off some of the safety pin and remove both plier rests? I did this to my charge TTI and other than the scissors, I didn't have to do anything. Literally just dropped the rebar pliers in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 05:07:58 AM
Can I ask why you had to grind off some of the safety pin and remove both plier rests? I did this to my charge TTI and other than the scissors, I didn't have to do anything. Literally just dropped the rebar pliers in.

Due to different tolerances, sometimes when swapping plier heads the safety pin is pushed out more and prevents deployment of the blade.

The plier rests are removed to fit in the longer Phillips driver or other tools. Sometimes more work needs doing in order to have the handles close properly.

us Offline carlb

Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 05:15:09 AM

Due to different tolerances, sometimes when swapping plier heads the safety pin is pushed out more and prevents deployment of the blade.

The plier rests are removed to fit in the longer Phillips driver or other tools. Sometimes more work needs doing in order to have the handles close properly.
Ok, good to know. Thanks Zoid.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 08:41:01 AM

Ok, good to know. Thanks Zoid.

Exactly what Dr.Z said :cheers:
darren

us Offline txdm

Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 12:10:32 AM
This is pretty awesome.

I have a charge ALX and an old, busted up wingman.

Would it be possible to put the Wingman scissors on a charge in place of the plain blade instead? So you have serrated blade, file, saw, and scissors on the outside?

For my use case, a Charge ALX with an awl in place of the dinky-driver (which I'm working on), and big wingman scissors instead of the main blade would be ideal...I'm partial to my Mini-Griptilian as a cutting blade... I practically keep it on me at all times.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:23:18 AM by txdm »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 01:26:53 AM
This is pretty awesome.

I have a charge ALX and an old, busted up wingman.

Would it be possible to put the Wingman scissors on a charge in place of the plain blade instead? So you have serrated blade, file, saw, and scissors on the outside?

For my use case, a Charge ALX with an awl in place of the dinky-driver (which I'm working on), and big wingman scissors instead of the main blade would be ideal...I'm partial to my Mini-Griptilian as a cutting blade... I practically keep it on me at all times.

Without the parts in front of me it's a little difficult to say, I'm thinking you would have to take a fair bit off the scissor spring piece to clear the liner lock and I'm not sure if there is enough metal there to do that. You could replace the blade with the file, if you're careful when you regrind the lock angle you can keep any play to a minimum. File to blade and scissors to file.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2015, 01:44:50 AM

Sorry for the late reply. I pull the safety pin piece off and re peen the rivet to secure the locking spring.

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #15 on: September 20, 2015, 01:46:20 AM
Yes. It is possible. http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,54732.msg952392.html#msg952392

You will need to be careful when grinding the lock face on the file (or saw) that you move to the blade slot. I recommend doing it by hand.

Go slow and careful when modding the scissors to fit too.

The general rule is file a bit check the fit.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics when you're done. :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 03:23:33 AM
That is AWESOME!!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:17 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I pull the safety pin piece off and re peen the rivet to secure the locking spring.

^^^
I've used this method many times on mods for Charges, Waves and even a Surge. Works a treat. I use a nail setting punch or heavy pin punch to allow me to hit the interior side of the rivet. Just be careful when you remove the blade locks and check your locks for proper tension frequently.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%