Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

school me on G-Shock's.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
school me on G-Shock's.
on: May 14, 2015, 05:07:42 AM
I have a Casio AE-1000w I bought a while back and its been great. I am wanting to get a bit of knowledge about G-Shocks. There are a ton of different model numbers. What are the best models in your opinion and what are advantages of certain models over others? One thing I hate about the Casio is the band and it looks identical to the G-Shock. The wavy portion closest to the watch drives me insane. Is there G-Shocks without that band? Should I not even worry about it and get the watch I want and replace the band? Thanks guys.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: school me on G-Shock's.
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 05:56:01 AM
Waiting for Lowtech to arrive...

I dont know much about the model numbers, but I like my GW5610 wich is very neutral looking. It does not get much wrist time though, as I prefer analog watches theese days.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 06:18:36 AM
I don't know anything about model numbers either, but I love G shocks.  I've had two, still wearing the second one after 4 years.  It's a MTG 910 DJ variant.  All I know is it's too damned expensive; it has a metal band which is $100 by itself, but it has held up to some severe abuse over the years. 

au Offline SAKchief

Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 10:05:59 AM
I think a lot of G shock models have the wavy/ripple on the resin bands.

Whats your budget?

You could look at the 5600BC which comes with a bracelet. or the 6900BC.

Do a google image search on these model.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 11:01:37 AM

G-Shock AW-591MS-1AER
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 12:56:19 PM
This is the watch I wear every day, and find it very comfortable.  http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GWM850-1CR-Atomic-Solar-Shock/dp/B001BY9BW2

Mines the white version though. http://www.gshock.com/watches/Classic/GWM850-7

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 01:07:02 PM
Waiting for Lowtech to arrive...

I dont know much about the model numbers, but I like my GW5610 wich is very neutral looking. It does not get much wrist time though, as I prefer analog watches theese days.

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

Or Zed. 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2015, 04:06:34 PM
G-shocks are my most favorite thing to collect and wear. Your AE1000 model is a nice one, I have that exact model with metal band in fact.

As for which model is right for you, it is important to consider that each and every G is designed with originality. Meaning, the bands can be either fixed or flex, and will be original to that particular model.

I have the poorest lighting in my new place or I would post some pics, but I'd like to enter exhibit DW9052 (look it up :D ). It is available in both a resin band as well as an extremely superb nylon strap. I own both and find myself favoring the nylon strap lately. This model is also available in different colour variations such as all blue or black with different colour supports. The supports, which some might consider nothing more than a decoration, do add some comfort to the wearing IMO.

Keep in mind the 9052 has been around many, many years. Casio just updated the module to support up to year 2099 whereas their older modules stopped around 2039. If interested in any of the modern released vintage models, be sure you're getting a new stock version with the updated calendar :tu:

NEXT, consider whether you want tough solar vs. normal battery power. I've sat on both sides of the fence on this over the years. Today, I own and use both. What is my preference? Normal battery power :salute:  I change all my own batteries so it's no problem if one burns up. I have observed on  one of my older models, a GM500A, given a flashlight recharge recently, exhibits all of its functions, BUT will only charge to medium power and the indicator shows it needs a new battery. SO, there's really no such thing as never needing another battery!

I hope this info helps and I hope you find a model that suits your taste and needs.

:cheers:
SAW

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2015, 04:13:52 PM
Ive mainly stuck with the classic square models going right back to 1983,for me the DW5600E is one of the best and afordable Gshocks,its very light weight and comfy on the wrist,plus not too big,has all the functions you will probably need,that said my other favourite is the G5600E as has a few extra functions i like,like the el light,plus solar powered,bothe great G's in my humble opinion,  :tu:

us Offline sawman

Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 04:19:15 PM
The 5600 models are awesome and mine has some sentimental value to it. When I was hospitalized with congestive heart failure last year, I had my DW5600 with me the entire time. At the time, it was my favorite G in fact. It's the original G and also brings back fond memories from decades ago when I owned several of their very first model. I was rough on a watch back in the day and completely destroyed my first one  :rofl:

Ahhh, good memories to be had with our CASIO products :D :D
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 04:20:18 PM by sawman »
SAW

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 14, 2015, 04:48:11 PM
I also wear the basic square Gshock.  My tastes vary when looking at Gshocks and with all the models it can be tough to choose. 

This is a great resource and one site I try to stay off myself  :whistle:
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f43/start-here-choosing-your-g-shock-850524.html
Esse Quam Videri

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 05:39:31 PM
I own 2 G-Shocks, my old DW-6900 and my GW-9200 Riseman. 

The DW-6900 is the watch I wear at work for the last 18 years or so, it originally had a nylon strap with velcro and a buckle closure.  I replaced it with a Zulu strap.  The Riseman stil has its original strap, it does have a small wavy portion but I've seen a lot worse on other G-Shock watches.

Here are some pics of my Riseman:

I also have a Casio Protrek (PRW-1300Y), I know it's not a G-Shock but it's also quite a tough watch, and those come without the wavy straps  ;).

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 05:47:00 PM
Thank you so much everyone. A ton of great info. I knew you would find your way in here Sawman.  :pok: I will respond to some post later. I'm just not feeling great right now so i'm keeping it short.

I was poking around Amazon and found this! I love the look of it and wanted to see what you guys think. Are all the G-Shocks basically the same in function? Thanks everyone.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OAY5YO4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3UTC2BMGD33XN

I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: May 14, 2015, 06:09:28 PM
I just realized the GD-120 is huge! Alright so I need a suggestion. I want something the same size or possibly slightly larger than my casio ae1000w. Digital only. I do not like the models with the (Post/Supports?) above and below the buttons. Any suggestions?

I'm the milk man!

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2015, 07:00:13 PM
I own two G-Shock watches.

The current one I wear is a Solar/Atomic Module 2688 that is going on I guess 14 years old now (it was a gift) and the same battery is in it and is working fine. It charges to about 90% capacity after all these years. Still in great condition.

I also have a 1979 G-Shock that had at one time an orange/yellowish lettering long gone all black that is on its 6th battery and served in the US Army/US Navy with me for a decade and works fine. I have had to replace the leather/nylon band 2x. only because I lost one of them as I had the watch on a military strap. The other band rotted from salt water.

The rubberized casing shows the years of abuse but the timepiece keeps accurate time and is resting in a dresser drawer along with other military mementos.

us Offline sawman

Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 07:24:59 PM
I think the GWM500/530A is right up your alley. It is tough solar but the battery in mine has lasted about 8 years until now needing replacement (not the watch still functions but only charges to medium and indicates battery replacement needed).

This model can be had at the best price on Amazon. here.

SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 07:40:27 PM
I think the GWM500/530A is right up your alley. It is tough solar but the battery in mine has lasted about 8 years until now needing replacement (not the watch still functions but only charges to medium and indicates battery replacement needed).

Not sure if I want solar and I really do not like the look of that watch. I like the look more in this color, but no way I am paying over $100 for it. Even in this color I do not like the look very much.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GW-M500F-1CR-G-Shock-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00DIA6W6A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431625132&sr=8-4&keywords=casio+500a
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 07:44:07 PM

Not sure if I want solar and I really do not like the look of that watch. I like the look more in this color, but no way I am paying over $100 for it. Even in this color I do not like the look very much.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-GW-M500F-1CR-G-Shock-Stainless-Steel/dp/B00DIA6W6A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1431625132&sr=8-4&keywords=casio+500a
Have you considered a classic DW5600?
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: May 14, 2015, 08:29:04 PM

Have you considered a classic DW5600?

Hate the look of those. I rather wear a Leatehrman Tread on my wrist.  :dwts:  :rofl:

I actually just got back from Walmart and looked at their G-Shocks. I saw the GWM500A-1 you suggested and it actually looks a little better in person. For some reason I only like a select few things (appearance wise) on the G-shock. I am not looking to buy one right now so I have time to look around and find exactly what I would want. My AE1000w will be great until I get one.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #19 on: May 14, 2015, 09:11:48 PM

They are bombproof and badass. There are so many different styles and colors to fit every taste. Pick one you like and run with it, you won't be disappointed. I've got 6 gshocks some up to 20+years old and they keep on going.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 04:39:09 AM
Just a reminder, what's gonna be better than a G-Shock?

A G-Shock with a Tread Band.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: May 15, 2015, 09:51:21 AM
You may also want to consider the Timex shock models. Though, in theory at least, not as tough as g-shocks they tend to be a bit cheaper and come in different "looks" that may be more to your liking.

The most unusual g-Shock I have is the dwx 110m which does not look like the standard g-shocks and is a bit smaller too.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: May 16, 2015, 12:07:29 AM
What do you guys think of this one. I love the look and seems like a great model. Any con's to this model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BU6TXEC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #23 on: May 16, 2015, 01:08:40 AM
What do you guys think of this one. I love the look and seems like a great model. Any con's to this model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BU6TXEC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
It looks like a great model, go for it! :tu:
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: May 16, 2015, 01:30:01 AM

It looks like a great model, go for it! :tu:

Just noticed its huge. It also has the "wings" on the (case back or band?) that fit your wrist. I am not sure how those fit. I really like the look of this one but after looking at pictures it just seems huge. 51mm case I think. Not to mention its $80.00.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 01:32:29 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: May 16, 2015, 01:31:13 AM
I only have Amazon prime until tomorrow so i'm searching hard to see if I can find one I like.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #26 on: May 16, 2015, 03:27:21 AM
HAHAHAHA! I was going to ask just this question.

I need one that doesn't have extra features, prefer a nylon strap becuase I can make my own- I have small wrists and hands. The solar option is neat. Any recomendations, G-fans?
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: May 16, 2015, 03:52:39 AM
Well after searching around I actually started to warm up to (what I consider) the run of the mill G-Shock. I consider this the run of the mill G-Shock as this is the one I see most people with. Anyways, I like the look of other better, but the size of the case on those models are to large and thick. It is my first G-Shock and I don't really have a bunch of money to blow so I figure I just get this one and if I end up not liking it then not much is lost. If I love it then I can upgrade later.

I bought the DW9052-1V. Sawman, I forgot to make sure it was a newer model programmed until 2099. I looked in the description but cannot confirm. It says model year is 2012 though. Anyways I am going to go put the Seiko 5 away and wear my AE1000w until the DW9052-1V gets here. Only thing I wasn't thrilled about on the DW9052-1V is the battery life, but i'm sure it will be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW9052-1V-G-Shock-Stainless-Digital/dp/B000GAYQLI
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:54:23 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #28 on: May 16, 2015, 04:30:45 AM
Excellent choice, Cap'n. :tu:  The DW-9052 was my first G, and is still the watch I wear more than any other.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline sawman

Reply #29 on: May 16, 2015, 10:23:29 AM
Well after searching around I actually started to warm up to (what I consider) the run of the mill G-Shock. I consider this the run of the mill G-Shock as this is the one I see most people with. Anyways, I like the look of other better, but the size of the case on those models are to large and thick. It is my first G-Shock and I don't really have a bunch of money to blow so I figure I just get this one and if I end up not liking it then not much is lost. If I love it then I can upgrade later.

I bought the DW9052-1V. Sawman, I forgot to make sure it was a newer model programmed until 2099. I looked in the description but cannot confirm. It says model year is 2012 though. Anyways I am going to go put the Seiko 5 away and wear my AE1000w until the DW9052-1V gets here. Only thing I wasn't thrilled about on the DW9052-1V is the battery life, but i'm sure it will be fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Casio-DW9052-1V-G-Shock-Stainless-Digital/dp/B000GAYQLI
If you bought it off amazon, then it is the newer model. As for the battery life, it should last 2-3 years depending on how much you use the alarm and light. I have 2 of these, one with resin and one with nylon strap. One of my favorite features on this model are the large buttons which make for easy operation. I absolutely love the 9052 and hope you find yours just as enjoyable.

Good choice cap'n :cheers:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24