Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cycle to work scheme

Weasel · 42 · 2191

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Cycle to work scheme
on: May 18, 2015, 12:58:44 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new Mtb on the cycle to work scheme  as I can save about 42%
It's only is halfords so any ideas on good bikes?
I'm not a serious cyclist , just want to ride to work and get fit etc.
Has anyone any experience with a voodoo hoodoo ?as there's a good deal on those and most reviews are good.
Weasel

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Cycle to work scheme
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:35:11 PM
Do the sums before you commit and make sure you can actually save that much on a new bike.  It used to be worthwhile, but the rules changed recently and when I looked into it a couple of years back I couldn't get what I wanted for a decent price, and didn't save enough money to make the compromises worth it.  If you've got the cash (or an interest free credit card) use that instead.

The Hoodoo looks good for the money - the Shimano gear should be pretty good and the tyres are great (if a bit draggy on tarmac).  The fork will be a bit of a heavy lump and the wheels are likely to need upgrading if you're going to give it some stick.  Voodoos are designed by Joe Murray, who designed the early Konas, so it should handle nicely.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:51:37 PM
Check with Tredz and Wheelbase as you can probably get a better bicycle for less on finance.

Do you intend to do a lot of trail riding? If its mostly going to be used on the road with the odd trail you may be better of with a Hybrid :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:55:10 PM
Do the sums before you commit and make sure you can actually save that much on a new bike.  It used to be worthwhile, but the rules changed recently and when I looked into it a couple of years back I couldn't get what I wanted for a decent price, and didn't save enough money to make the compromises worth it.  If you've got the cash (or an interest free credit card) use that instead.

The Hoodoo looks good for the money - the Shimano gear should be pretty good and the tyres are great (if a bit draggy on tarmac).  The fork will be a bit of a heavy lump and the wheels are likely to need upgrading if you're going to give it some stick.  Voodoos are designed by Joe Murray, who designed the early Konas, so it should handle nicely.

I've looked into it and It does seem to be a good deal I'll check again just to make sure
Weasel

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 07:09:54 PM
I have an old Hoodoo and I've just recently retired it to bike path duty because it's too pretty to beat on. If the new ones are anything similar you'll be all set, I like Voodoos
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 07:24:51 PM
if you can afford it check out the carreras theyre great bike too
I

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 07:34:11 PM

my carrera vanquish road bike has done me well for the last 6 years,spec is good,its light and works smooth even after all these years,ive got my bros carrera mtb in my shed but its in bits,he  got it on the cycle too work scheme but he doesnt look after his bikes  :-\

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 07:41:12 PM

my carrera vanquish road bike has done me well for the last 6 years,spec is good,its light and works smooth even after all these years,ive got my bros carrera mtb in my shed but its in bits,he  got it on the cycle too work scheme but he doesnt look after his bikes  :-\

i had a carrera banshee thati bought of a mate such a nice bike but some arse stole it  :twak:

really need to get out on the norco i have atm more
I

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 08:05:24 PM
Honestly, i'd look on Craigslist for a used bike. Buy something used to see if its something you want to continue with. If it isn't, you can sell the bike and your not out that much money..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 08:56:31 PM
IVe also got my eye on a kona nunu they don't look bad.
I've looked again into the ins n outs of the cycle to work scheme and I can't seem to find anything wrong with it, I'd get a bike at nearly half price.
Or am I missing something?
Weasel

Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 09:06:01 PM
The main problem is dealing with Halfrauds mate. It may be just the one near me, but they don't really have a clue about bicycles in my experience. ::)

Most cycling forums seem to agree about Halfords not being the best option. There are a good few cycle shops who are signed up to the scheme :)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 09:08:12 PM
Honestly, i'd look on Craigslist for a used bike. Buy something used to see if its something you want to continue with. If it isn't, you can sell the bike and your not out that much money..

+1  I bought myself a used MTB several weeks ago to ride back and forth to work.  I was looking at new, but I hadn't ridden a bike in years and didn't want to spend on money on something I might use twice and never again.  Happily I love riding around the city here, and am going to use tge cash I saved to make the bike just how I want it as an urban utility ride. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 09:37:02 PM

+1  I bought myself a used MTB several weeks ago to ride back and forth to work.  I was looking at new, but I hadn't ridden a bike in years and didn't want to spend on money on something I might use twice and never again.  Happily I love riding around the city here, and am going to use tge cash I saved to make the bike just how I want it as an urban utility ride. :tu:

Thanks I understand your point however I do like cycling and only sold my last one as I was off work and crippled for 6 months with disk and nerve trouble  and didn't think I would be fit enough to ride again, but to my amazement I'm doing good now so thought I'd get a new one,plus it will give me a much needed escape from my troubles at home.
Nothing cleares the mind like a blast on a bike. :tu:
Weasel

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 09:44:21 PM
The main problem is dealing with Halfrauds mate. It may be just the one near me, but they don't really have a clue about bicycles in my experience. ::)

Most cycling forums seem to agree about Halfords not being the best option. There are a good few cycle shops who are signed up to the scheme :)
I have Hurd  a couple of bad reviews about halfords but I never know who to believe, I've had a couple of bikes from halfords years ago and as I remember they were fine.
Maybe it's gone downhill now. I might go and have a look and see what I think, I'll keep you posted on my findings :salute:
Weasel

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 10:53:50 PM
Check with Tredz and Wheelbase as you can probably get a better bicycle for less on finance.

Do you intend to do a lot of trail riding? If its mostly going to be used on the road with the odd trail you may be better of with a Hybrid :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 11:00:44 PM

That's my though as well.  Unless you are planning on off-roading then I'd seriously look at a road bike.  The rolling resistance of knobbly, fat tires on tarmac isn't worth it IMO.  I went down the mountain bike route (it was free;)) and I couldn't believe how tough it was to ride on tarmac compared to what I used to ride.  Also the gearing on a road bike will be more appropriate. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 11:34:47 PM
That's my though as well.  Unless you are planning on off-roading then I'd seriously look at a road bike.  The rolling resistance of knobbly, fat tires on tarmac isn't worth it IMO.  I went down the mountain bike route (it was free;)) and I couldn't believe how tough it was to ride on tarmac compared to what I used to ride.  Also the gearing on a road bike will be more appropriate. :)

+1 - Go for a road bike - MTBs are such hard work on tarmac.
Probably not racing slicks - but tough (for potholes etc) thin tyres

I used to sail by the MTBs when I used to cycle to work.
It makes a massive difference to effort and time - You'd be surprised.

Nothing cleares the mind like a blast on a bike.

Could not agree more  :D
Once, I spent several days at work trying to figure out a knotty work problem, to no avail - But it all came clear one evening on the ride home - And the idea/design was a real good un  :)

And great to hear you will soon be back on two wheels

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 12:07:20 AM
The roads and sidewalks where I work are horrible.  I was thinking about a road bike, but I'm glad I went with the mountain.  One thing I'm going to though is get semi-slick tires, so the ride's not quite as rough on smooth(er) surfaces.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 12:15:20 AM

I would mainly be riding on roads and tpts but might go a bit of trail riding on evening etc, hybrids do look good but I've never ridden one
Weasel

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 12:54:32 AM
Hybrids are really easy to ride and you can pick and choose what you after as some are closer to there mtb origins while others are much closer to road bike but with a more upright riding position.

You could also get a tourer as you can do pretty much anything on those and they start from about £500 upwards. I've loaded my Ridgeback Expedition with all kinds of heavy crap and I've still managed to keep up with my son and his mates down the woods on it :D

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 10:17:27 AM
How about getting a MTB but also some extra second-hand wheels and put road tyres on them? Shouldn't be too hard to swap them over as the need arises.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: May 24, 2015, 12:28:14 PM
How about getting a MTB but also some extra second-hand wheels and put road tyres on them? Shouldn't be too hard to swap them over as the need arises.

That's a good plan best of both worlds then
Weasel

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 24, 2015, 04:44:18 PM

That's a good plan best of both worlds then

the only thing you might find is the gearing low for road riding,i live in a hilly area so low gears work well for me  :tu:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 05:23:05 PM
Yeah I know what you mean when I had my fat bike and went in the woods I didn't need half of the gears.
If I get a new bike it will be manly footpaths and road on the way to work and on evenings I'd just be riding in the park with my young son so can't decide what bike would be best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 05:33:14 PM
There are parts of this city that are pretty hilly, so I'm glad that I have the extra gears on my MTB.  Biking to and from work for me is working out well, another thing I'm glad for is the suspension on my bike.  The roads and sidewalks around here suck.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 05:58:20 PM
My new job is further away,ill mainly use my road bike but think ill stick my road tires on my hardtail untill my fitness comes back,plus a rack and one pannier :tu:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 06:14:35 PM
There are parts of this city that are pretty hilly, so I'm glad that I have the extra gears on my MTB.  Biking to and from work for me is working out well, another thing I'm glad for is the suspension on my bike.  The roads and sidewalks around here suck.

I've only got one hill on my way home from work so I suppose I'm lucky it's also under 3 miles away so not much of a ride but it always made me feel good cycling to and from work
Weasel

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 06:17:57 PM
My new job is further away,ill mainly use my road bike but think ill stick my road tires on my hardtail untill my fitness comes back,plus a rack and one pannier :tu:
I'll have to have another think as to what bike fits my needs best .youve got me thinking now about having too many gears I don't need if I got a mtb  :salute:
Weasel

Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 06:26:38 PM
Yeah I know what you mean when I had my fat bike and went in the woods I didn't need half of the gears.
If I get a new bike it will be manly footpaths and road on the way to work and on evenings I'd just be riding in the park with my young son so can't decide what bike would be best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What about this or something similar?

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B2766.html

She's a pretty much do anything bicycle :)

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 06:55:12 PM

I've only got one hill on my way home from work so I suppose I'm lucky it's also under 3 miles away so not much of a ride but it always made me feel good cycling to and from work

My commute is also about 3 miles, and pretty flat except for one shallow incline.  It's when I go into downtown that I encounter real hills.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%