Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Danish Knife Law

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Danish Knife Law
on: May 19, 2015, 07:20:54 PM
First off, I'm sorry if a similar topic has already been started, but I wasn't able to find one. Secondly, if the mods think this belongs in the knife-section of the forum, please move it. :)

Basically, I just need to vent my frustations a bit. As some of the danish member problably have noticed, there's a big debate going on, with the danish knife law.
Recently, a group called Denmarks Hunters Association (Danmarks Jægerforbund) posted a video on Facebook, with 6 different knives, all of which were bought in Denmark; some in sporting stores, others in normal supermarkets. They displayed how all 6 of them could be open one-handed, and therefore are illegal, according to danish law. They even showed a corkscrew, with a foil-cutter, which could be opened one-handed.

For quite some years, the general view has been that if a knife was designed to be used one-handed, it was illegal. But recently a court ruled that any knife, that could be opened one-handed, falls under that category and is therefore illegal to own, sell and use. And yes, that includes our beloved SAKs and several other multitools. I had to take a look at my collection of pocket knives and multis, to see which ones could be opened with one hand - only 1 out of 12 tools, passed that test. And that is all knives and multis that I've either bought in Denmark or that has been for sale in Denmark within the last 4 years.

Even something as my girlfriends Signature might be illegal - it doesn't matter if she or any of her co-workers can open it with one hand; it just takes one person (most likely the police officer checking the knife), to be able to open it with one hand. We've reached a point, where you potentially could be labeled as a criminal, because you bring a corkscrew to a picnic. If I use a utility knife at work and forget to take it out of my pockets before I leave, I would effectively be breaking the law.

I'm sure the danish politicians are stumped, as to why the United States doesn't have any more problems with knives, with the current law as it is. This is outrageous!

The worst part, is almost the fact that if you desire to be a law-abiding citizen and want to turn your "illegal" knives in, you can't do it, without facing the penalty, even if the knife were bought when it was legal.

We are reaching a point, where any version of one of mans oldest tools, is illegal...

</rant>
2015-05-19 18.45.03s.jpg
* 2015-05-19 18.45.03s.jpg (Filesize: 203.95 KB)

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Re: Danish Knife Law
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 07:25:19 PM
That really sux!!!!! Wow!!!!  Texas recently ok'd switchblades so it's the opposite here.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:26:27 PM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 07:38:32 PM
I almost forgot... Yesterday, the owner of a hunting-shop about 20 miles from here, got a fine for 100.000 DKK, just under 15.000 USD, for selling 44 illegal knives - knives that he thought was legal. I've seen several interviews with owners of hunting stores, who aren't able to tell if a knife is legal or not anymore; it seems that alot of them might stop selling knives all together, due to the hassle.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 07:54:24 PM
How do you cut meat?

Are allowed fixed blades???  :think: :think: :think:

Crazy!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Original SAKs are OHO??? It is very difficult for me!!!  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 07:55:41 PM by alexTOOL »

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:26:40 PM
How do you cut meat?

Are allowed fixed blades???  :think: :think: :think:

Crazy!  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Original SAKs are OHO??? It is very difficult for me!!!  ??? ??? ???

So far, kitchen knives are still legal - as long as they're in your home. Fixed blades out in public isn't legal, unless you have a specific purporse, like you're using it for work, you're hunting, being a scout and so on. However, if you have a fixed blade with you (as far as I remember), you are not allowed to, by example, go shopping between your home and your destination. You have to go straight from your home to your destination and back, without any stops.

I've checked with a modded Explorer (added alox scales from a fake SAK, but the insides are still original), a Spartan and a 1-layer Wenger, with a blade and can opener and I can fairly easy open all 3 with one hand. I wouldn't do it, unless I had a specific reason, as I don't really like the idea of cutting myself, but it is possible.
I think it was a guy from a hunting store in Odense that said in a interview, that whether or not your knife can be opened one-handed, depends on the patience and willingness to get cut, of the officer who is testing it. If you don't mind getting cut, you can open almost all knives one-handed.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 08:27:33 PM
That is just insane and honestly cannot comment without going political and losing my cool so I will not say much besides it is completely ridiculous.
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 09:04:34 PM
This sounds more like a ridiculous drinking game than sane law making.  :facepalm:

Do you gave any interest groups, like the aforementioned hunter's association working for a saner situation, or do the usual nanny state interests have the debate, if any, to themselves?

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 09:17:54 PM
This sounds more like a ridiculous drinking game than sane law making.  :facepalm:

Do you gave any interest groups, like the aforementioned hunter's association working for a saner situation, or do the usual nanny state interests have the debate, if any, to themselves?

The hunters association is doing alot of work, to pressure the government into changing the law and a few politicians have already made statements that they will look into it. We're coming up on an election in a few months and this seems like a cause that most people can get behind, so we problably won't see any change until after the election, but one can only hope that the knife law will undergo serious scrutiny.
The idea with banning OHO blades and locking blades, was mainly to avoid stabbings in the nightlife, but if you're setting out to stab someone, you problably won't care about the law anyway.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 09:21:25 PM
Firstly thank you for bringing this to our attention  :salute:

It must be immensely frustrating for anyone in retail, or anyone who uses a bladed item outside the realms of home cooking. We as enthusiasts are a little biased on the whole as to what we think people should be able to own, use and carry. Without getting into sociopolitical rhetoric, this is an appauling situation primarily due to the lack of clarity. You cannot abide by, appeal against, or draw concessions against a law when nobody knows what that law does and doesn't cover.

I hope for the nation's sake the whole affair is reviewed and resolved soon for the retailers (and other related employment), and the general public as a whole.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 09:23:17 PM
And how about a SAK like this:  :pok: :pok: :pok:

No locking + rounded blade tip.

Impossible to stab anybody!!!   :rant: :rant: :rant:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 09:34:53 PM
If you are going to stab someone there are plenty of items capable of doing the job. Are screwdrivers illegal to carry as well     :facepalm:

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 09:41:42 PM
And how about a SAK like this:  :pok: :pok: :pok:

No locking + rounded blade tip.

Impossible to stab anybody!!!   :rant: :rant: :rant:

(Image removed from quote.)

Trust me, if you can open it with one hand, it wouldn't be a good idea to use it in front of a police officer in Denmark these days...  :facepalm:

Firstly thank you for bringing this to our attention  :salute:

It must be immensely frustrating for anyone in retail, or anyone who uses a bladed item outside the realms of home cooking. We as enthusiasts are a little biased on the whole as to what we think people should be able to own, use and carry. Without getting into sociopolitical rhetoric, this is an appauling situation primarily due to the lack of clarity. You cannot abide by, appeal against, or draw concessions against a law when nobody knows what that law does and doesn't cover.

I hope for the nation's sake the whole affair is reviewed and resolved soon for the retailers (and other related employment), and the general public as a whole.

To be honest, I'm even concerned about using a utility knife at work these days. I still carry my Explorer and Gerber Suspension with me, when I'm at work, but I do my best to keep them away from where the customers can see them. My girlfriend even told me about a customer where she works, who saw her using her Signature and claimed that it was illegal. You can do more damage with a damn car key!

I just checked the hunters associations webpage and I can see that at least 9 media outlets have reported on this in one way or another, so it's definitely something that's got the peoples attention by now.

If you are going to stab someone there are plenty of items capable of doing the job. Are screwdrivers illegal to carry as well     :facepalm:
Well, if you're going out drinking, I wouldn't recommend having a screwdriver in your pocket, but I honestly don't know if it would be illegal to carry one with you in the daytime. If you look the part, a carpenter or similar, most people wouldn't think twice about it, but from a legal standpoint, I have no idea. Wouldn't be surprised if it were illegal though.

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 09:45:40 PM
I can see that all the attention from the media isn't necessarily a good thing. A danish storechain, called Dansk Supermarked, has in some of the stores sold different multis, from Bahco, Black & Decker and Hi-Tec. Apparently, it said on their website that the tools could be used with one hand - they've been removed from their sites and I don't have the specific model-names, so I can't check.
It even got to the point where someone actually reported one of the stores to the police, for violating the weapons law, by selling illegal knives.
One of the multis in question, is the one in the picture below. The article mentioned three different tools, but this is the only one with a picture.
kniv-bilka3.JPG
* kniv-bilka3.JPG (Filesize: 99.07 KB)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 19, 2015, 09:49:56 PM
Freaver, isn't the Suspension actually designed to be OHO?

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #14 on: May 19, 2015, 10:17:34 PM
Freaver, isn't the Suspension actually designed to be OHO?

Yes it is. Nonetheless, the shop right across from where I work, sold them about a year ago. I know that it's illegal and I wouldn't make a thing of it, if it gets confiscated and I get a fine. For that same reason, I only carry it, when I'm at work. I'd never dream of using it in public.
My problem is with the knives that only "speSmurfpillsts" would call one-handed, such as the SAKs. I like to think that I know a fair deal about the danish knife law, but when we get to a point where even hunters and owner of hunting stores doesn't know what's right and what's wrong, then we've got a bad situation.

Just to use the Suspension as an example: I'm well aware that I'm carrying a multitool with a knifeblade that makes it illegal, according to danish law - I've made an intentional choice, to carry that multitool, knowing that.
The kid that gets an old Böker from his dad or the scout buying his first SAK, might unwillingly be breaking the law.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 10:25:57 PM
I fully appreciate what you are saying there, and I hope you all get a speedy and balanced resolution to the matter  :salute:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 10:29:17 PM
I fully appreciate what you are saying there, and I hope you all get a speedy and balanced resolution to the matter  :salute:

When the government is handling things this is never the case. In the USA at least.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 10:31:44 PM

When the government is handling things this is never the case. In the USA at least.

I'd imagine many members here feel the same about their own countries. I can still hope though  :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: May 19, 2015, 10:32:22 PM

I'd imagine many members here feel the same about their own countries. I can still hope though  :D

Most definitely.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 10:41:15 PM
The Captain beat me to it - when making restrictions, it takes no time; when losing restrictions, it takes ages. I just hope we'll know more by the end of the month.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 08:50:00 AM
The Captain beat me to it - when making restrictions, it takes no time; when losing restrictions, it takes ages. I just hope we'll know more by the end of the month.

It's called job security... If they'd loosen restrictions too fast, they'd be out of work  :D
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 01:05:56 PM
I kind of have to wonder... is there any REASON for this restriction? Like, did some nutjob go on a rampage and kill a busload of orphans or something? Or is there a 'Mothers against anything with an edge' coalition group whipping up hysteria?

I'm not trying to be too glib here, but jeez...

The fact that some cop has practiced and practiced to be able to OHO a 91mm SAK should NOT make someone consider a knife OHO. There's a woman who shoots archery with her feet. That doesn't make bows a weapon that any sane person would consider foot operated.

As for the 58mm line being outlawed... As others have pointed out, screwdrivers are a vastly better weapon. I actually knew a guy who went to prison for robbing a gas station with a screwdriver, one of the big foot-long ones. That'd be a foot-long screwdriver, not a footlong gas station. :D

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: May 20, 2015, 07:25:39 PM
I kind of have to wonder... is there any REASON for this restriction?
YES!

As Capt already indicated:
That is just insane and honestly cannot comment without going political and losing my cool so I will not say much besides it is completely ridiculous.

Communism spreads through variety of methods/movements throughout Europe.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 08:37:57 PM
Sounds exactly like what is happening in USA to restrict fire arms ownership.

My suggestion is like what NRA calls gun owners to do: STAND AND FIGHT!
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 08:52:30 PM
I kind of have to wonder... is there any REASON for this restriction?
YES!

As Capt already indicated:

Communism spreads through variety of methods/movements throughout Europe.

Communism.. Really? We are so close getting all political here... let's keep the gargamel out of here ok?
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #25 on: May 20, 2015, 09:26:11 PM
GARGAMEL! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

Oh, wait; What the smurf is that smurf doing with the toothpick?  :facepalm:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #26 on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:58 PM
I kind of have to wonder... is there any REASON for this restriction? Like, did some nutjob go on a rampage and kill a busload of orphans or something? Or is there a 'Mothers against anything with an edge' coalition group whipping up hysteria?

As far as I know, no. Admittedly, when they "tightened the noose" the first time, there was alot of problems with stabbings, between mostly immigrant gangs, but as already pointed out, they don't care if they're carrying an illegal knife. At this point, the law is just incriminating just about everyone.

The fact that some cop has practiced and practiced to be able to OHO a 91mm SAK should NOT make someone consider a knife OHO. There's a woman who shoots archery with her feet. That doesn't make bows a weapon that any sane person would consider foot operated.

Like I mentioned in my first post, I've tried and succeded at opening - with one hand - the 12 knives and multitools showed in the first post. That includes a modded Explorer, with "fake" Alox scales; it didn't take me that long to open it either. Most of them, I could open pretty easily on my first try. It's not a way I would prefer to do it, as it's uncomfortable and dangerous, but it is possible. Even the orange one, which I thought wouldn't be included in this, is actually OHO, if you have the finger strength for it. I actually thought that would be near impossible, since it's so relatively close in design, to the Lansky World Legal.
If it was something like a Swisschamp, it would problably be alot more difficult, but I still think it would be possible, with very little training.
BTW, the Lansky World Legal is a knife I would love to try opening one-handed. If anyone got one, can you please confirm whether or not it would be possible?

Sounds exactly like what is happening in USA to restrict fire arms ownership.

My suggestion is like what NRA calls gun owners to do: STAND AND FIGHT!

That is already happening - not on as big a scale as could be wanted, but it is happening. Right now, I think people are waiting for an official statement from the politicians and the courts, both to clarify exactly what the definition of an illegal knife is, and to hear if they are going to review the law and hopefully loosen it up a bit.

The big problem is, that the original definition, was that any knife designed to be OHO, was illegal. Last year, there was a case that made it to High Court, where the ruling ended up being that any knife that a person could open with one hand - even if it took several tries - were to be considered OHO and therefore illegal. Already at that point, the downward spiral began.

I still only see two politicians going into this matter and so far, it'll take at least a few months before they decide whether to change the law or not.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 10:05:13 PM
Over here in Ireland, knives and pointy objects of any description are illegal in a public area, according to the law.
This includes toothpicks. :facepalm:

It does have a stipulation that if you have a valid reasonable excuse reason to carry, you can do so.
The reason needs to be better as the knife/spear/toothpick gets bigger.
I am certain that the Guard will let you off the hook for carrying a toothpick as long as you are not acting in an offensive manner.
Its different with a OHT, and fixed blades.
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Offline zimchaz

Reply #28 on: May 20, 2015, 10:18:03 PM
What happens if you only have one working  hand? For example someone with a deformity or amputation? So then because of your disability you become even more limited by not being able to carry a tool as it is illegal....stupid laws stupid lawmakers.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #29 on: May 20, 2015, 10:27:14 PM
What happens if you only have one working  hand? For example someone with a deformity or amputation? So then because of your disability you become even more limited by not being able to carry a tool as it is illegal....stupid laws stupid lawmakers.

Ya better have good teeth......
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62