Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Danish Knife Law

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Danish Knife Law
Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 10:31:01 PM
Or a buddy!

I think that the swiss have got their knife laws right on the nail.
You wont get a second glance from the police or the public for carrying a SAK/Multitool with no locking blades, and you need a reasonable reason to carry anything like a fixed blade over a certain size, or assisted opening knifes(switchblades, balisongs, etc), or one handed opening knives.

The best part is that people that are missing a limb or have a medical condition preventing them from using a normal SAK are legally allowed to carry such knives.  :D

Notice: I only read this on the net and have not been to Switzerland. I cannot guarantee this info in any shape as being correct from a legal standpoint!
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2015, 12:51:04 AM
BTW, the Lansky World Legal is a knife I would love to try opening one-handed. If anyone got one, can you please confirm whether or not it would be possible?
From the Lansky World Legal Knife thread.

I also can open it one handed...

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 11:29:41 AM
I'm a little disappointed about the Danish high court ruling, since it sounds like it ignored the premises of the law. I'm accustomed to the lower levels being "pragmatic", while high court rulings focusing on general principles and take the premises and papers that went into making a law more into account. (Reasonably enough when looking at the respective roles for the different levels.)

(And Pablo O'Brien, don't be ashamed about the Irish law... Much of Europe, Norway very much included, have knife laws which seem focused more on giving the police arbitrary powers than making life better and making it easy to be a law-abiding citizen...)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #33 on: May 22, 2015, 05:46:26 AM
Or a buddy!

You wont get a second glance from the police or the public for carrying a SAK/Multitool with no locking blades, and you need a reasonable reason to carry anything like a fixed blade over a certain size, or assisted opening knifes(switchblades, balisongs, etc), or one handed opening knives.

The best part is that people that are missing a limb or have a medical condition preventing them from using a normal SAK are legally allowed to carry such knives.  :D

Notice: I only read this on the net and have not been to Switzerland. I cannot guarantee this info in any shape as being correct from a legal standpoint!

I would have to respectfully disagree. People should be able to carry any knife they please without restriction. Why should I not be able to carry a locking folding knife? What is considered a reasonable reason? A reasonable reason in my opinion is because I wan't to and some high paid government official should not be able to decide if that is acceptable to him/her.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:49:17 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #34 on: May 22, 2015, 09:09:59 AM
That would be nice capt, except that it is unlikely that it wouls happen, thanks to the public, goverenment, media, etc.

The most I think we can hope for is unrestricted SAK carry, and maybe some of the smaller folders and fixed blades.
Everything else would need a "reasonable reason" to carry.

As long as knife stabbings and suchlike bad publicity, the public will not allow free carry, even if most of this bad press comes from people wielding kitchen knives. :think:  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: May 22, 2015, 09:19:03 AM
That would be nice capt, except that it is unlikely that it wouls happen, thanks to the public, goverenment, media, etc.

The most I think we can hope for is unrestricted SAK carry, and maybe some of the smaller folders and fixed blades.
Everything else would need a "reasonable reason" to carry.

As long as knife stabbings and suchlike bad publicity, the public will not allow free carry, even if most of this bad press comes from people wielding kitchen knives. :think:  :facepalm:

Yea, it really is a shame. I feel bad for you guys, but hope for the best.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 12:27:59 PM
This thread reminds me of George Orwell's 1984, where you can't have a razor blade.
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 12:31:29 PM
This thread reminds me of George Orwell's 1984, where you can't have a razor blade.

The important observation of 1984 is by making vague laws, the regime made people self-police themselves to a very strict standard, since it was hard to know whether your broke the law. Sounds familiar?

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:58 PM
Modern legislation tend to be more vague, allowing flexibility. (compare some laws from 50, 60 years ago to some modern Laws). The old laws were a lot more descriptive and offered very little flexibility.

There is, however, a general legal principle that since the government comes from a position of authority when enforcing the Laws in case of vagueness, the discretion allowed should be in the interest of the person "ruled" meaning that the whole government should be "nice" and understanding. So if you are not endangering other people the government should not try to make a safe tool appear dangerous, just so that you get punished. The grey zone should be used in the interest of the person, not so as to punish the person. Ofcourse, not all nations have the same legal beginnings or principles. for example US legal system is different to the mainland European legal system, which is different to the UK system, because of differing beginnings, ideas, scope etc.

Anyway, I will stop boring people with legal matters now.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gr Offline firiki

Reply #39 on: May 22, 2015, 12:48:16 PM

The important observation of 1984 is by making vague laws, the regime made people self-police themselves to a very strict standard, since it was hard to know whether your broke the law. Sounds familiar?

It's been almost 20 years since I read that book but it does ring a bell, yes.

:ahhh

gr Offline firiki

Reply #40 on: May 22, 2015, 12:57:57 PM
Ofcourse, not all nations have the same legal beginnings or principles. for example US legal system is different to the mainland European legal system, which is different to the UK system, because of differing beginnings, ideas, scope etc.

It's true. Here, I'd like to quote Odysseas Elytis' verse "where you hear order, there's the smell of human flesh".

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: May 22, 2015, 01:07:17 PM
Modern legislation tend to be more vague, allowing flexibility. (compare some laws from 50, 60 years ago to some modern Laws). The old laws were a lot more descriptive and offered very little flexibility.

There is, however, a general legal principle that since the government comes from a position of authority when enforcing the Laws in case of vagueness, the discretion allowed should be in the interest of the person "ruled" meaning that the whole government should be "nice" and understanding. So if you are not endangering other people the government should not try to make a safe tool appear dangerous, just so that you get punished. The grey zone should be used in the interest of the person, not so as to punish the person. Ofcourse, not all nations have the same legal beginnings or principles. for example US legal system is different to the mainland European legal system, which is different to the UK system, because of differing beginnings, ideas, scope etc.

Yes, it is a very good and reasonable principle, which the Danish high court obviously has found rather irrelevant.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 01:14:05 PM
In theory a legal challenge could be pursued on that principle, or an EU court ruling could be sought, which ofcourse, if it agrees with the Danish court may screw things up for all of us in Europe :rofl:...

It all depends on the legal system of Denmark, of which I know very little about.. 
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

dk Offline Freaver

• Haven't smoked since 17/05-14 7.10 PM - 28/03-16
Reply #43 on: May 22, 2015, 08:28:12 PM
Or a buddy!

I would have to respectfully disagree. People should be able to carry any knife they please without restriction. Why should I not be able to carry a locking folding knife? What is considered a reasonable reason? A reasonable reason in my opinion is because I wan't to and some high paid government official should not be able to decide if that is acceptable to him/her.

I mostly agree with you, on that one. Unless you need it for work, hunt or similar, I don't see any reason to carry a fixed blade or a folder with a blade that's over 5 inches long. All this time I've been EDC'ing knives, the Danish maximum of 2.75" has been more than enough for my needs, both at home and at work.

If it were up to me, I'd say that OHO locking blades, with a maximum length of 3" should be legal - and then of course increase the efforts on making sure that people don't bring knives with them, when they're going drinking/partying.
Either that, or something along the lines of what they have in the UK - if I remember correctly, a folder in the UK can be either OHO or locking, but not both. Don't know about the length of the blade though, but I think it's just about the 2.75-3" mark?

In theory a legal challenge could be pursued on that principle, or an EU court ruling could be sought, which ofcourse, if it agrees with the Danish court may screw things up for all of us in Europe :rofl:...

It all depends on the legal system of Denmark, of which I know very little about.. 
I'm not too strong in legal matters, but I'd think this case would be "too small" for an EU court?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: May 22, 2015, 08:56:43 PM

I mostly agree with you, on that one. Unless you need it for work, hunt or similar, I don't see any reason to carry a fixed blade or a folder with a blade that's over 5 inches long. All this time I've been EDC'ing knives, the Danish maximum of 2.75" has been more than enough for my needs, both at home and at work.

If it were up to me, I'd say that OHO locking blades, with a maximum length of 3" should be legal - and then of course increase the efforts on making sure that people don't bring knives with them, when they're going drinking/partying.
Either that, or something along the lines of what they have in the UK - if I remember correctly, a folder in the UK can be either OHO or locking, but not both. Don't know about the length of the blade though, but I think it's just about the 2.75-3" mark?

Just because a 2.75" blade has been more than enough for YOU why does that mean everyone else should be limited to that as well? Just because you do not see any reason to have a larger blade does not mean someone else has a legitimate reason or simply a desire to carry a larger knife. The real problem I have with it is why should anyone be able to tell you what you can and cannot carry?
   "Oh it's for the safety of the people", blah, blah, blah. The criminals are going to get/have whatever blades they wan't and it was mentioned that the criminals are not using pocket knives in their crimes anyways. Its kitchen knives that are the main blade of choice.
   I know my opinions on these things might not be the most popular, but these laws are only hurting law abiding citizens and further enforcing the governments power to control the law abiding citizens while doing nothing to stop the criminals. Same story different country. It happens all over the world. 
   I am sure our different views have to do with many things including personal opinions as well as being raised in two very different countries. I am in no way saying I am right and you are wrong. These are just my opinions and what I think on the matter.     
   Please do not think I am directing this towards you personally because I am definitely not. I know its hard to determine this over the internet and when reading we always put our own impression on the writing and i'm sure it sounds like I am directing this at you.

On the lighter side of things are you still not smoking? I quit 12 days ago and am not looking back.  :tu:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:58:43 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #45 on: May 24, 2015, 04:01:39 PM

Just because a 2.75" blade has been more than enough for YOU why does that mean everyone else should be limited to that as well? Just because you do not see any reason to have a larger blade does not mean someone else has a legitimate reason or simply a desire to carry a larger knife. The real problem I have with it is why should anyone be able to tell you what you can and cannot carry?
   "Oh it's for the safety of the people", blah, blah, blah. The criminals are going to get/have whatever blades they wan't and it was mentioned that the criminals are not using pocket knives in their crimes anyways. Its kitchen knives that are the main blade of choice.
   I know my opinions on these things might not be the most popular, but these laws are only hurting law abiding citizens and further enforcing the governments power to control the law abiding citizens while doing nothing to stop the criminals. Same story different country. It happens all over the world. 
   I am sure our different views have to do with many things including personal opinions as well as being raised in two very different countries. I am in no way saying I am right and you are wrong. These are just my opinions and what I think on the matter.     
   Please do not think I am directing this towards you personally because I am definitely not. I know its hard to determine this over the internet and when reading we always put our own impression on the writing and i'm sure it sounds like I am directing this at you.

On the lighter side of things are you still not smoking? I quit 12 days ago and am not looking back.  :tu:

You do have a valid point about blade length, but for a long time, 2.75" have been the maximum allowed length in Denmark, so I think most Danes have been accustomed to "small" knives and can overcome most tasks with them. Of course, as a hunter, scout or other outdoors person, you're most likely going to need something bigger, but at that point, other rules comes in to play.

I feel you, with the fact that other people are trying to tell you what kind of knife/tool/sword you can or can not carry, but I fear that if switchblades, automatic knives and/or OTF-knives became normal and legal in Denmark, we would possibly see a rise in stabbings, because it gets easier to get a hold of these knives.

On many points, we agree 100% and on some others, we disagree a bit - as you mentioned yourself, this is most likely due to our own personal opinions and upbringings. :)

Regarding the smoking, I've just recently passed 12 months without a cigarette. I do admit, however, I been very happy with my electronic cigarette in that time, but hopefully I'm done with that as well, within the next 12 months.
If you don't have any helping tools, you are in for a tough ride. Even though I had my e-cigarette, I've still been battling the urge for a cigarette from time to time...

us Offline BASguy

Reply #46 on: May 24, 2015, 06:12:28 PM
Some interesting thoughts here, but I gotta say Capt has it nailed.  Why can't anyone carry whatever they want, wherever they want, however they want?  If someone is going to commit a crime, they are not going to care what the law says....they are criminals intent on committing a crime....duh.  Here in Arizona you can carry guns concealed or open, knives can be whatever you choose.  At least to this point the state legislature has had enough common sense to realize that restricting the freedoms of law abiding citizens has pretty much zero impact on crime. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: May 24, 2015, 06:19:07 PM
How about making fewer humans? If we were not so numerous there would be less crime?  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: May 24, 2015, 06:56:16 PM
I think we all should note we are getting very close to getting into a political discussion here. This is something all of us probably have strong opinions about, so I think we should tread carefully... I feel the urge to get in on a discussion (which would end up as pure politics) here myself, so I assume I'm not the only one.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: May 24, 2015, 09:20:10 PM
Point of information regarding UK knife law.

If it's with a justifiable reason, such as using it for work, you can carry anything. You'd struggle to justify a 5" fixed blade for box cutting, but within reason there's no need to worry about lockers and OHO knives.

You're not allowed to carry a weapon of any sort, some things are obviously only useful as weapons (a cricket bat with nails sticking out) and some things it's a bit more grey. If you're holding up a Post Office with a carrot, that's a weapon and is illegal. If you're a load of druggies in a car with cricket bats under the seats, that's illegal. If you're a cricket enthusiast who keeps his kit in the car, that's OK.

Unless it isn't for some reason (like it's being used as a weapon), a folding knife with a blade of <3" such as a SAK is fine. There is no mention anywhere of OHO and there is a bit of case law that has defined a locking knife as not a folding knife.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: May 24, 2015, 09:31:04 PM
My opinion: Danish law could do with a bit of clearing up. I think you'd struggle to have a knife that it was impossible to open with only one hand somehow, whilst still being able to open it with two.

Hopefully they'll clear it up in the direction of allowing SAKs rather than banning everything.

Where do you stand with buying knives for work?

captain spaulding:
I don't want your laws over here or anything resembling them. In my opinions the amount of gun crime you have is ridiculous and a terrible waste. You have 5 times our population and have so far this year had ten times the number of fatal police shootings than we've had over the last ten years. OK so far more people get run over and everyone's got to die eventually but I personally don't see that statistic (or any similar ones) as being something to be proud of or aim at.

I respect your right to decide that that's how you want to run your country, but that's not a country I'd want to be a part of.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: May 24, 2015, 10:02:06 PM
This is going no where fast as usual and will just end up being a back and forth of personal opinions that will go no where. I respect everyone's views and opinions equally and will leave it at that.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline BASguy

Reply #52 on: May 24, 2015, 10:31:46 PM

This is going no where fast as usual and will just end up being a back and forth of personal opinions that will go no where. I respect everyone's views and opinions equally and will leave it at that.  :tu:
Well played sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #53 on: May 26, 2015, 11:11:55 PM
Any other country have written knife laws like Ireland?  :D

All hail the hook!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #54 on: May 27, 2015, 07:19:20 AM
So, the police just made a statement, to try and help clear things up...  So far they've tested 6 different knives and found only 2 to be legal. Those two, would be a Leatherman Super Tool and a corkscrew with a foil-cutter.  :facepalm:
They still believe that a SAK Pickniker is OHO, together with a Bahco KBSU-01, an EKA-knife and a Buck-knife.

The 3 last ones I can understand, but I really can't see how they can rule a SAK as being illegal....

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #55 on: May 27, 2015, 07:37:14 AM
So, the police just made a statement, to try and help clear things up...  So far they've tested 6 different knives and found only 2 to be legal. Those two, would be a Leatherman Super Tool and a corkscrew with a foil-cutter.  :facepalm:
They still believe that a SAK Pickniker is OHO, together with a Bahco KBSU-01, an EKA-knife and a Buck-knife.

The 3 last ones I can understand, but I really can't see how they can rule a SAK as being illegal....

What a bummer. I just do not understand how they can make/pass laws regarding things like this with such vague guidelines. I could open a Supertools blade one handed much easier than a SAK blade.  :think: It makes no sense to me and just seems like the people making such a important decision are just sitting around a table playing with knives saying

"Hey, Bob. Can you open this one handed?"
"Well yes I can, but barely."
"What about this one?"
"Nope."
"Alright, this one is legal, that one is not. Is that good with everyone?"
"Sure, as long as we get to go to lunch soon."

:facepalm:
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: May 27, 2015, 10:59:33 AM
How often do the police search people over there?

As it is written, I still think the Irish Law is harder on knives, but seems like you could EDC a SAK without getting into trouble as long as you follow sensible precations and look like a good citizen. The police rarely seem to search people here.  ???

Anyway, I still leave the SAK at home when I go out, much less hassle and worry. Defeats the purpose of a SAK though.  :-\
(I always have the tweezers, though.  :D )

All hail the hook!

dk Offline Freaver

Reply #57 on: May 27, 2015, 11:27:38 AM

What a bummer. I just do not understand how they can make/pass laws regarding things like this with such vague guidelines. I could open a Supertools blade one handed much easier than a SAK blade.  :think: It makes no sense to me and just seems like the people making such a important decision are just sitting around a table playing with knives saying

"What about this one?"
"Nope."

I'm actually starting to think the same thing. I don't have the article open right now, but I believe the Supertool was deemed legal, due to the fact that you have to open the pliers first - I don't have a single set of folding pliers, that I can't open one-handed, so I don't understand why that has anything to do with it, except the fact that it would take longer.

How often do the police search people over there?

As it is written, I still think the Irish Law is harder on knives, but seems like you could EDC a SAK without getting into trouble as long as you follow sensible precations and look like a good citizen. The police rarely seem to search people here.  ???

Anyway, I still leave the SAK at home when I go out, much less hassle and worry. Defeats the purpose of a SAK though.  :-\
(I always have the tweezers, though.  :D )

I rarely hear about people being searched. There are a few places where the police can search people for no reason, but mostly they need a reason - problable cause, I'd call it. I doubt that an average person would get searched for no reason, unless you of course look like you're up to no good.
Regarding leaving the SAK at home... Unless I'm going somewhere, where I know it might be a problem (airport, bar, government building), I always keep some sort of knife on me. Either a SAK or my Squirt P4. I can open them both one-handed, but there's no way in hell I'd try to stab someone with either of them; I'd end up hurting myself more than the other guy.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #58 on: May 27, 2015, 01:42:53 PM
That really sucks.
In Holland the knife law is pretty good if you compare it with the rest of the dumb laws and rules. You are allowed to carry any knife except for fixed blades , folding blades of 20 cm. you are not allowed to carry a knife in public.

But the restriction on all knifes, even SAKs :facepalm:

Do you have a lot of knife related fights/incidents in denmark?

I have tested it and i can open my Swisstool X one handed with some hand gymnastics :D

I hate it when the rules go too far.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:43:58 PM by anditsgone »

us Offline BASguy

Reply #59 on: May 28, 2015, 02:49:24 AM

"What about this one?"
"Nope."

ROFL

This is what you get when you turn absolute control over to the government. :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD