Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My thoughts on the Nitecore Tube and Thrunite Ti3.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?

After owning both for a week or so I figured I would give my thoughts/opinions on both.

First up is the Nitecore Tube. I don't know what it is, but from the first time seeing the Tube I thought it was very cool and I love the look of it. I normally do not like key chain lights that are configured like this. I tend to stay with key chain lights that are similar to the E01/E05.

The ON/OFF button is done very well. It turns ON/OFF very easily, but not so easy as to accidentally turn on. I have read about some people having trouble with this though. I do not carry the Tube in the same pocket as my keys so I assume this is one reason why I have not experienced any accidental activation.

The Tube comes with two split rings. Both are good quality and not flimsy. I love how the attachment is doubled up for extra strength.

The Tube is charged by micro USB. The charger is NOT included. I believe I read it has overcharge protection and voltage regulation which is great since people will be using all sorts of different chargers to charge their Tube. There is a blue light that comes on during charging that turns off when fully charged. I timed its first charge from almost completely dead and it took almost exactly 2 hours as stated in the specs.

Final thoughts on the Tube. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this light. I have been using it A LOT since I have owned it and I love everything about this little light. I believe (don't quote me) it is the lightest rechargeable flashlight in the world. It disappears in the pocket and i'm sure it would be excellent on a key chain. Low mode (1lm) is great for finding your way in very dark situations without wasting much battery. The high (45lm) seems brighter than 45lm's and lights up a room very well. It also has infinitely variable brightness which allows you to choose a brightness level from 1lm to 45lm which is also a excellent feature that I wish my higher end flashlights had. The best part of this flashlight is the price. They can be had in the price range of $6-$12. I paid on the higher end of this and am still very happy with my purchase. I would and will be buying a translucent model and possibly a few others. To say I like this light is a understatement. 

On to the Thrunite Ti3. I was pretty excited to get this flashlight. I was impressed at the claimed 120lm from such a small AAA flashlight. I have also heard good things about the quality of Thrunite. I purchased the Neutral White version as I have never had a NW LED flashlight before.

Sorry, but I do not have a bunch of pictures of the Ti3.

First impressions are how small the light is which is great. That is where the good impressions end for me. To turn the light ON/OFF it is a twist head. To cycle through the modes you twist as well. The threads are very gritty and do not feel "nice" to use. I was excited to see a NW flashlight and the second I turned it on I was a bit turned off by the tint. It looks exactly like old incandescent flashlights. Now I assume this is exactly what it is supposed to look like, but I had no idea and would of never bought the NW version if I had known this. I was also not impressed with the output. It claims 120lm, but this light does not even look like it is pushing 50lm. My Fenix E05 (85lm max) is much brighter than the Ti3. I do not know if this has to do with it being NW, but it was a complete letdown. The pocket clip is reversible to be able to be used as a headlamp on the bill of a baseball cap which is nice. That's where the good impressions of the clip end for me. I hate that the clip rotates semi freely around the flashlight. Its not going to just flop around, but any sort of pressure on the clip and it is rotating. This is especially annoying when twisting the light ON/OFF which one will be doing quite a lot. The other problem I have with the clip is it always gets hooked under the stitching on any shirt, jacket, ect... that I am wearing and breaks/pulls the thread out which is ruining my clothes. I have stopped carrying certain flashlights in the past for this reason alone. On a side note. This is why I love the "S" clip on the Streamlight Microstream C4. It does not do this at all. All in all I am not impressed with the Ti3 on basically every level. It was a huge letdown and a waste of money. Not sure what I am going to do with it yet. I might take the clip off and attach it to a key chain Leatherman or SAK. Possibly just put it in a kit or something. Needless to say I do not recommend the Ti3 and would never buy another. If you wan't a small AAA light get the Streamlight Microstream C4. It does not put out as much light but has excellent run times and is just a better flashlight for me personally.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:16:56 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: My thoughts on the Nitecore Tube and Thrunite Ti3.
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 05:43:58 AM
Thank you very much for the review, even though it's hard to get something and be disappointed by it.

The Tube sounds cool, though.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:54:33 AM
Thank you very much for the review, even though it's hard to get something and be disappointed by it.

The Tube sounds cool, though.

No problem.  :tu:

It does suck to be disappointed in something you just get and were excited to order, but it happens and there is a silver lining. At least I know I do not like the Neutral White and it only cost me $20 to do it. I always wanted to try a NW Zebralight so if I would of found out I did not like a NW tint after ordering the Zebralight it would of really been a bummer. Its not a total loss though and I have a bunch of options on what to do with it. I can either keep it and use it as intended (which I will probably do). I can stick it in my fishing pack or tackle box. Give it away to a friend or trade it on the forum. Everything I do not like is personal preference so someone else might love the light. I will probably just hold onto it though as my opinion could change and its always good to have backups.  :tu:

Yes the Tube rocks!
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline pingu

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:45:54 AM
Well you have *nearly* got me interested in the Tube except for one thing.  I'm not convinced I want to put it aside for 2 hours to recharge.  Can you see any reason they couldn't make a button cell version?

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:37:21 AM by pingu »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
Well you have *nearly" got me interested in the Tube except for one thing.  I'm not convinced I want to put it aside for 2 hours to recharge.  Can you see any reason they couldn't make a button cell version?

I'm not normally a rechargeable flashlight guy but when it comes to the Tube I love the design. I hate buying those button batteries and only own one light that uses them as it was a gift. I can't see charging (at max) for two hours as being a issue at all. I assume they in no way wanted this light to run on replaceable batteries and I applaud them for it. I believe I read this is the lightest rechargeable flashlight on the marker.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 11:32:38 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Glockdoc

Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 01:57:35 AM
Bought my Tube about three months ago.Charged it and use it all the time and have not had to charge it yet.Excellent little light.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 02:24:52 AM
Bought my Tube about three months ago.Charged it and use it all the time and have not had to charge it yet.Excellent little light.

Agreed. Since the first charge I have not had to charge again. I use it at least 5 times a day. Very shortly, but still. I love this little guy.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 03:39:55 AM
I'm in love with mine as well. I always have it with me. It got sprinkler - ed on too and it's still running great! (My key fob begs to differ)

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 07:56:33 AM
I couldn't help myself and ordered a translucent Tube. Got it through Amazon but sold by Edison Bright and fulfilled by Amazon. Great thing is if you have prime it ships free and since it is not technically sold by Amazon there is no sales tax. To top it off they add a free cord for charging.  :tu:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UIBXIO6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 01:11:29 AM
Just recieved the clear Tube.

I'm the milk man!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 09:47:03 PM
Great review Captain...much appreciated.

After reading your review I did some checking and eventually bought the Tube.  It's a great light and after a month of sporadic use, I decided to do a recharge before it goes out.  I like it so much, I've purchased a couple more for myself and for gifting.

I'm putting one in my rucksack along with a new UST SplashFlash to replace the Gerber Infinity I typically carry.

:cheers:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 04:53:36 PM
My Tube has very nearly been my constant companion since I bought it.  My only issue is that I've found it turned on once or twice when i've taken my keys out of my pocket.  Not a big problem given the fact it's rechargeable, but still mildly irksome.

Sorry to hear you don't like the Ti3 as much Cap.  I've got one as well and rather like it. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 04:59:22 PM
Great review Captain...much appreciated.

After reading your review I did some checking and eventually bought the Tube.  It's a great light and after a month of sporadic use, I decided to do a recharge before it goes out.  I like it so much, I've purchased a couple more for myself and for gifting.

I'm putting one in my rucksack along with a new UST SplashFlash to replace the Gerber Infinity I typically carry.

:cheers:

Glad your enjoying yours.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 05:03:59 PM
My Tube has very nearly been my constant companion since I bought it.  My only issue is that I've found it turned on once or twice when i've taken my keys out of my pocket.  Not a big problem given the fact it's rechargeable, but still mildly irksome.

Sorry to hear you don't like the Ti3 as much Cap.  I've got one as well and rather like it.

I assume I would of liked it more if I had not gotten the neutral white version. I HATE the tint and it does not seem to push even remotely close to the claimed 120lm. I literally have not used it once since the review.  :td: I might give it another chance, but the first impressions completely killed the light for me.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline 1dash1

• New User
Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 01:19:07 AM
I bought a Thrunite Ti3 Titanium 162_lumen version.  On AAA batteries, its performance was pedestrian.

But on 3.2V LifePO4 10440's, it puts out an amazing amount of light for such a miniscule form. I'd estimate (based on ceiling bounce comparisons with my Fenix and Nitecore lights) that it puts out at least 200 lumens.  If I wanted to eak out a few more lumens, I suppose I could try it with some 3.7V IMR 10440 cells.   I've read of people successfully doing so.  I've also read some comments disparaging such use as driving the flashlight too hard.  In any case, with LifePO4's, the flashlight heats up very fast.  I wouldn't want to run it any hotter just to gain a few lumens.

The LifePO4 10440's also breathed new life into my old Fenix L0D flashlight.

I suggest you try them on your Ti3.  I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. :)

P.S.  I should mention that while the use of 10440's with this flashlight has been anecdotally documented by various users, it is NOT recommended by the manufacturer.  Use of anything other than AAA cells will void the warranty.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 01:40:14 AM by 1dash1 »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 08:44:35 AM
I bought a Thrunite Ti3 Titanium 162_lumen version.  On AAA batteries, its performance was pedestrian.

But on 3.2V LifePO4 10440's, it puts out an amazing amount of light for such a miniscule form. I'd estimate (based on ceiling bounce comparisons with my Fenix and Nitecore lights) that it puts out at least 200 lumens.  If I wanted to eak out a few more lumens, I suppose I could try it with some 3.7V IMR 10440 cells.   I've read of people successfully doing so.  I've also read some comments disparaging such use as driving the flashlight too hard.  In any case, with LifePO4's, the flashlight heats up very fast.  I wouldn't want to run it any hotter just to gain a few lumens.

The LifePO4 10440's also breathed new life into my old Fenix L0D flashlight.

I suggest you try them on your Ti3.  I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. :)

P.S.  I should mention that while the use of 10440's with this flashlight has been anecdotally documented by various users, it is NOT recommended by the manufacturer.  Use of anything other than AAA cells will void the warranty.

Just a friendly reminder to anyone who wants to try this, not all AAA flashlights do support use of 10440 Lipo or LiFePo4 batteries.  Doing so will not only potential void the warranty, but it may lessen the life span of your led/circuit/flashlight.  The worst part is, if the lights don't have a overdischarge protection feature for Lithium rechargeable, then depending how your battery or charger protection circuit is functioning, re-charging an overdischarged lithium battery may be a fire hazard.

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 10:19:12 AM
I find the design of the Nitecore Tube quite nice. One question to the users:

How exactly does the dimming function work? Is there a sliding control? Do you have to push+hold the on/off button? Would be nice to know beforehand, but I did not find any information in the catalogues.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 11:05:44 AM
Push once to turn on in low mode or double click to turn on in high mode. Once turned on, press and hold the on/off switch and the light steps up from low to high in very small increments. If you are still pressing the button when it reaches high, it will drop straight down to lowest setting and start ramping up again

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 11:18:02 AM
Thank you for the quick answer!  :tu:

Seems light an ideal urban just-in-case EDC* light. And good for the environment compared to those tiny button cells most of these small lamps have!

*Now I am all out of buzzwords.  ;)

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 12:53:03 PM
Cappy, sometimes a lube job can make the mechanism work smoother. If you haven't given it the heave ho yet you might wanna try cleaning the threads with WD-40 or equivalent and using a good o-ring lube on the ring and threads. I usually do this upon receipt of a new light before using, so I can't say for sure but I have heard lights that are often rough or sticky from the factory improve with this treatment and also working the mechanism a little with no batteries.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 01:12:44 PM
I bought a Tube after reading this thread, and find it to be a fine light.  Its in the genre of the Photon Freedom, though larger.  But the real upside is that it is USB rechargeable.  Its somewhat of a pain to acquire and install coin cell batteries for the Photon lineup.

gb Offline pingu

Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 03:00:07 PM

I don't have Ti3 but I would describe my T10 on 1.5V AAs to be "pedestrian".  The official Thrunite T10 web page says this...

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-t10/

Note the reference to "1.5V AA".  But also note the working voltage reference of "0.9V - 3V".  Not sure what Thrunite are saying but I am not convinced 1.5V is giving 169 lumens.

Now engaging "barrack-room lawyer" mode look at the Ti3 page...

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti3/

Still "0.9V - 3V" but the AAA voltage is not specified.  So I take that as Thrunite endorsement of AAA up to 3V.  Mistake or what?

I'd happily put a 3V AA in my T10 except the batteries are pricey.  I've seen at least one review where the T10 is tested at >3V and hey, its brighter.  So not regulated at 1.5V then.   But I've not seem many opinions here that a T10 at 1.5V is "pedestrian".  Not sure what to believe :(

« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 03:18:14 PM by pingu »

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 03:30:28 PM
I quite like my Thrunites. I have new and old versions of the Ti, T10 and T20. For the money I'd say they're perfectly adequate. Not overly ambitious on specification maybe, but they work reliably and seem to have decent runtimes.

I can't comment too much on th Tube, as I've not had it that long. It's turned on accidentally a couple of times, but when I've needed it, I've been able to see what I needed to see. Seems like another perfectly adequate light for the money  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 1dash1

• New User
Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 07:10:38 PM

I don't have Ti3 but I would describe my T10 on 1.5V AAs to be "pedestrian".  The official Thrunite T10 web page says this...

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-t10/

Note the reference to "1.5V AA".  But also note the working voltage reference of "0.9V - 3V".  Not sure what Thrunite are saying but I am not convinced 1.5V is giving 169 lumens.

Now engaging "barrack-room lawyer" mode look at the Ti3 page...

http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-ti3/

Still "0.9V - 3V" but the AAA voltage is not specified.  So I take that as Thrunite endorsement of AAA up to 3V.  Mistake or what?

I'd happily put a 3V AA in my T10 except the batteries are pricey.  I've seen at least one review where the T10 is tested at >3V and hey, its brighter.  So not regulated at 1.5V then.   But I've not seem many opinions here that a T10 at 1.5V is "pedestrian".  Not sure what to believe :(

A couple of references to the T10 and 14500-use:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/12869#comment-222790
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?260795-ThruNite-thanks-for-the-T10-model&p=4622313&viewfull=1#post4622313

And a video:

Again, I'd suggest that using 3.2V LifePO4 batteries (max. 3.6V when fully charged) might be better to use than regular 3.7V Li-ion or IMR batteries that max out at 4.2V when fully charged.  A pair of Soshine 700mAh AA batteries (the brand that I use) will run you between $7-$8 on eBay.

Note:  LifePO4 batteries require special rechargers.  They should not be recharged on regular Li-ion rechargers.  So, that's an additional cost for those who don't already have one.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: October 14, 2015, 05:45:49 PM
Have you seen the T360 from nitecore? It has a similar shape as the tube (granted, the LED is placed differently) and comes with a nifty clip... costs roughly twice as much as the tube but I think that is a very neat little flashlight.

It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: October 14, 2015, 05:48:57 PM
I'm going to have to look into those but it looks like a must have!  :drool:

Thank you for sharing.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #26 on: October 14, 2015, 06:05:15 PM
That looks awesome!!

It's like the ultimate tail stand

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 06:26:22 PM
Have you seen the T360 from nitecore? It has a similar shape as the tube (granted, the LED is placed differently) and comes with a nifty clip... costs roughly twice as much as the tube but I think that is a very neat little flashlight.

(Image removed from quote.)

Somehow, this reminded me of this:

I only first saw an episode of Doctor Who very recently (Peter Capaldi as the Doc), but somehow it's sinking in.
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 06:27:35 PM
I bought a Tube after reading this thread, and find it to be a fine light.  Its in the genre of the Photon Freedom, though larger.  But the real upside is that it is USB rechargeable.  Its somewhat of a pain to acquire and install coin cell batteries for the Photon lineup.

+1

I'm such a pushover...
 :facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:15 PM
I was looking at this on Amazon and (the one I was looking at) appears to come with a headband for use as a headlamp as well.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD