Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My thoughts on the Nitecore Tube and Thrunite Ti3.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: My thoughts on the Nitecore Tube and Thrunite Ti3.
Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 06:59:16 PM
I was looking at this on Amazon and (the one I was looking at) appears to come with a headband for use as a headlamp as well.  :tu:
Yep, I think that is the primary intent. It's also why the clip is curved I presume...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 07:22:39 PM
I'd not seen that, though I'm going to go look at it now. :D

Something else in the same vein as the Tube looks to be the Nextorch GL10.  Not as bright I think, but that's not always a problem for a keyring torch.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 11:33:56 AM
I am liking the blackened clear tube for the price it is, i might buy one. But i don't have a keychain to attach it to :think:

I dont really like the looks of the clear plastic one. I hate it when manufcatuers make clear plastic electronic products. I think it gives them a cheap look.

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 03:30:54 PM
I got my black Nitecore Tube last week, and I carry it in my pocket since.
I'm amazed how usefull it is, and it's not that I didn't use similar lights before (whole bunch of Photon's).
Bought mine from SPAMCORP for $5.99.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 04:32:58 PM
Where do you get the USB charger for it  ???
SAW

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 06:22:35 PM
Just about any Android or Windows phone/tablet will come with one, but if that's no good to you then any mains to micro USB will do.  As will a USB to micro USB adaptor cable from your computer to the Tube.  In the interest of safety etc then do go with a reputable dealer. 

no Offline Grathr

Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 07:09:22 PM
And now I have Nitecore tube on its way to me. :D

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 09:37:15 PM
And now I have Nitecore tube on its way to me. :D

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk

I have had mine for a while now and still love it.
I'm the milk man!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 10:00:42 PM
I don't think I've heard of anyone who owns a Tube and not liked it. :)

us Offline sawman

Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 11:09:42 PM
I'd like to thank you Cap'n, as I just ordered a bundle with the clear tube and USB charging cable for $9.99. I'm super excited  :ahhh
SAW

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #40 on: October 19, 2015, 12:52:02 AM
Have you seen the T360 from nitecore? It has a similar shape as the tube (granted, the LED is placed differently) and comes with a nifty clip... costs roughly twice as much as the tube but I think that is a very neat little flashlight.

(Image removed from quote.)
Son of a witch, when did they come out with this? I spoke to them about the tube, and how much I liked it and gave them the idea about making a clip for it to like attach to the brim of your hat, or on Molle, and they went nuts with the idea! Tell me this is what they came out with..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline sawman

Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 07:30:02 PM
Well I got my Nitecore Tube (clear) and have it on the charger. This is from Amazon and came with a free USB charging cord for $9.99.

I love everything about this light from its size and design to functionality. The adjustable brightness is another great feature.

Now to see how it holds up to actual use. I have a good feeling about this one :tu:
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #42 on: October 23, 2015, 01:24:01 AM
I'd like to thank you Cap'n, as I just ordered a bundle with the clear tube and USB charging cable for $9.99. I'm super excited  :ahhh

:tu:

I have a clear and a black and both have been great!

Only thing is these can accidentally activate if you have them in your pocket with a bunch of stuff. Luckily I never carry the Tube in a pocket full of keys or anything so it's never a problem for me.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: November 10, 2015, 12:17:39 AM
Did someone mention the Tube?

us Offline sawman

Reply #44 on: November 10, 2015, 12:25:49 AM
I have mine on a special keyring with a pair of Uncle Bill's Tweezer's and SOG Micron. I keep it handy 24/7 and use it to get around at night or any dark places. It's easy to pop on the charger anytime I'm on my laptop.
SAW

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #45 on: November 10, 2015, 12:30:48 AM
Seems like I have only ever charged mine twice. Yet it's my most reliable flashlight.

Also, I have had instances where the low setting clicked on in my pocket.

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 07:02:53 PM
My Tube worked fine out of the box. Went to use it today and it won't turn on. Tried plugging it into the charger, lite comes on and after 5 minutes goes off. Still won't turn on. At least it was only $6.  :facepalm:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #47 on: November 10, 2015, 08:13:57 PM
My Tube worked fine out of the box. Went to use it today and it won't turn on. Tried plugging it into the charger, lite comes on and after 5 minutes goes off. Still won't turn on. At least it was only $6.  :facepalm:

I think this might be the first reported problem on the Tube  :think:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: November 10, 2015, 08:14:37 PM

If you ordered it on Amazon return it for another. If not contact Nitecore for a warranty claim. Easy peasy.

If you do not want to do either then send it to me to have for parts.  :D
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 08:15:35 PM

First I have heard.
I'm the milk man!

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 10, 2015, 09:03:05 PM

First I have heard.
I'm just the lucky sucker who got the DOA one. Lol

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #51 on: November 10, 2015, 09:06:15 PM
I have just ordered 3 from SPAMCORP...   :D Christmas stocking fillers
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Dunkeld

Reply #52 on: November 19, 2015, 09:43:39 AM
I just posted my experience with the Tube on Gareth's review elsewhere on the site, so I'll repost here:

Had one of these for a while and I like it. It's simple, light as a feather and lasts for ages in low mode. I often use this at work when I have to stay overnight somewhere. I just leave it on low all night so if I wake up I can immediately see where I am in unfamiliar surroundings. Saves me fumbling for a light if I need the toilet or whatever. I get 4/5 nights use out of it before it needs recharging. I didn't need to buy a separate charging cable for it as it charges off my tablet charger and Mrs Dunkeld's smartphone charger. The variable setting is clever but in practice I tend to use only the low and high. I keep it on my vehicle keychain and it's becoming increasingly used as winter approaches. Another thing I like about it is it's slightly unusual shape.... makes it immediately identifiable when you rummage for it in your pocket/in the dark as it's the only thing that shape and feel. After a while you find your thumb just automatically comes to rest on the wee rubber button and the click is reassuringly positive. One thing it has never done once is turn itself on in my pocket and I carry it all the time. It's also been submerged in water/soaking wet multiple times without any hint of a problem.

I also carry a water/drop-proof phone that has a brilliant flashlight with a super-long battery life (b2100) and it's still the light I tend to reach for just through force of habit, but the tube is beginning to pay it's way. It and the phone are the only lights I edc. Between the two I could get by for weeks if I had to away from any charging source.

Best of all it's cheap as chips.   :)

Come to think of it, I might just get another.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #53 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:58 PM
There's a dude on Candlepower forum that does a mod to boost the current on these things and gets them up to ~80 lumens. It seems like the guy is held in pretty high regard over there so I just ordered on. Figured I'd give it a shot for an extra $15.

Moderators, please delete this last part ifI'm breaking rules, but here's a link to the post in case anyone wants it. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393875-TubeVN-Best-Keychain-Light-(Must-Have)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #54 on: November 23, 2015, 08:45:41 PM
By and large we're fine with external links, as long as you don't have a financial interest in posting it. :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #55 on: November 24, 2015, 02:21:55 AM
There's a dude on Candlepower forum that does a mod to boost the current on these things and gets them up to ~80 lumens. It seems like the guy is held in pretty high regard over there so I just ordered on. Figured I'd give it a shot for an extra $15.

Moderators, please delete this last part ifI'm breaking rules, but here's a link to the post in case anyone wants it. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?393875-TubeVN-Best-Keychain-Light-(Must-Have)

I've bought a few modified lights from that dude in the past and been very happy with his work  :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline tommywp

Reply #56 on: December 06, 2015, 03:32:59 AM
Just got my modded tube. It's definately way brighter then it has any business being. I've got a walkway between my shed and a fence that's pretty dark and i can make out the back corner fence post from 30 feet away with this thing on high. The throw isn't as good as my Fenix e05, but it's close and crazy good for a keychain, exposed Bulb type of light. It lights up a dark room better then the e05, but in fairness I don't remeber how old the batteries are in the e05.

The modder is running a professional operation. Delivered 3 days after ordering, pay with PayPal, confirmation emails, good packaging, no nonsense.

I pocket carry everything and really like to keep things light and slim, and being able to get my primary EDC light on my keychain would be a big score. 80 lumens is about as low as I'd want to go, and this is the only light I've come across that seems like it meets this set of criteria. So I'm exited and will definately run it through the paces for a while. That being said, I'm not in love with the overall look of the tube....hopefully it grows on me.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #57 on: December 19, 2015, 05:24:36 PM

I have a clear and a black and both have been great!

Only thing is these can accidentally activate if you have them in your pocket with a bunch of stuff. Luckily I never carry the Tube in a pocket full of keys or anything so it's never a problem for me.

Same thing happened a couple of times to me.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD