Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first G-Shock.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
My first G-Shock.
on: May 21, 2015, 12:44:37 AM

http://www.casio.com/products/Watches/G-Shock/DW9052-1V/

I just recieved my first G-Shock yesterday and figured I would give some impressions of the watch so far and see if they change over time. I bought the DW9052-1V. Immediate impressions of the look of the watch is good. From pictures I never really liked the look of this model, but upon receiving it, it actually looks quite nice to me. The watch is very uncomfortable on my wrist and the sizing is baffling to say the least. I put it on and found that if I wear it snug as to keep it from rotating to the outside of my wrist it is much to tight and very uncomfortable. If I loosen it a single hole the watch is much to loose and rotates to the outside of my wrist instantly and continuously and has huge gaps on the top and underside of the watch/band. There is no in between. That is just adjusting it one single hole bigger or smaller. The "band keeper" is also in the worse place possible and makes the already uncomfortable watch even more uncomfortable. The clasp is unnecessarily wide and ugly.
  The user interface is pretty good. I'm not a fan of how hard it is to access the buttons though. It is a good thing so they are not accidentally pressed, but they did not find any middle ground on that. They are recessed a bit to much in my opinion. Depending on which button I am pressing I have to use my nail to work the button sometimes. The thing that probably gets me the most is the alarm. I was under the impression that I could set 5 alarms. I was wrong. I only get one alarm. To be honest I would of never even bought the watch if I had known this. My cheap Casio AE1000w ($16 watch) has 5 possible alarms. Why the smurf does this G-Shock only offer a single alarm? That was a incredible let down as I need the ability to set multiple alarms and that was going to be one of the main uses for this watch. The only other thing I do not like about the UI is to change things like the time or date or to set alarms, ect... it only takes a single press of the "adjust" button. I prefer it to be held down for 2 seconds to access the ability to change settings. It just seems to easy to accidentally hit the button and mess with your settings. With the recessed buttons this probably will not happen, but it's just my preference.
   I'm sure the watch will last a long time and take a beating. There are just a few things that really turn me off about this watch and had I know I would of never bought it. I am still going to wear it, but the single alarm function really could be a issue for me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 02:12:43 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: My first G-Shock.
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 06:16:21 AM
I guess I offended the G-Shock fans.  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:31:36 AM
G-Shocks are big,  (most models anyway)
my G-shock does have 5 alarms,  not sure about the model you have,  maybe someone will speak to that soon.
the models I wear do not have buttons that are that recessed, so maybe that is an issue with that model,

however,  I do love the fact that they can take a beating.  mine also, is cold weather resistant, mud and dust resistant, and the face is harder than most cheap watches (which I manage to scratch within the first 3 months, every time)
If I can help, let me know 

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 06:46:32 AM
I read the manual, and seems you have only one alarm, plus countdown alarm. Very basic watch, no extra features. I never been fan of just digital watches. But like ana/digi ones quite much.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 09:29:26 AM
Should of gone for a G5600E with more functions  ;)  :D plus not too big for a G,ive tried lots of models but always go back too the one that started it for me,the classic square  :salute:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:10:28 AM
Should of gone for a G5600E with more functions  ;)  :D plus not too big for a G,ive tried lots of models but always go back too the one that started it for me,the classic square  :salute:

I was not trying to spend more than $50 and I personally hate the design of that model. This purchase was to experiment with the G-Shock for the first time to see how I like it and possibly step up to a better model down the road.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:15:31 AM

I was not trying to spend more than $50 and I personally hate the design of that model. This purchase was to experiment with the G-Shock for the first time to see how I like it and possibly step up to a better model down the road.

Hate squares  :ahhh i have a long history with the 5### models hoing back to my first one in 83 so i guess they hold a sentimental valuecto me personally, oddly i wouldnt say i hate the newer models but i prefer the older classic G's  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 10:15:49 AM
I guess I offended the G-Shock fans.  :D

TBH I've never quite the attraction G-Shocks,especially for someone with danty wrists like mine!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 10:41:17 AM

Hate squares  :ahhh i have a long history with the 5### models hoing back to my first one in 83 so i guess they hold a sentimental valuecto me personally, oddly i wouldnt say i hate the newer models but i prefer the older classic G's  :tu:

Hate is a strong word. I dislike the design of those. This is the second time I have revoked a hate remark today.  :D
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 11:01:45 AM
Like Kirky, I don't really get the appeal of G Shocks. I got my fairly cheap Casio AQ-S800W to see if it whetted the appetite, but other than the fact it's solar powered, I'm quite blase about it. It does get worn, but not as much as my analogue Sekondas.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:04:53 AM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 11:25:31 AM
I have accumulated/created a g-shock collection, during the past month so they do hold some appeal to me. Possibly because when they first came out I could not afford to buy them and was impressed by the  children that had them, whilst I was stuck with some basic Casios.

I would like to get one of the original ones with the screwplate, but they are hard to find in a decent condition

I had not really worn a watch for over a decade before buying my recent ones.

Just reminding people that each Casio has the module number in a square on its backplate, so, if you know that, you can get the manual from the internet for your watch.

Or, you can find a module you like and see which watches have it.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 12:22:42 PM

Hate is a strong word. I dislike the design of those. This is the second time I have revoked a hate remark today.  :D

:salute: it would be boring if we all liked the same thing  :tu:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 03:45:55 PM

The square g shocks are my favourite too  :salute:
Weasel

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 04:24:16 PM
I'm in the skinny wrist club as well  :D.  I wasn't a fan of the square shape of the 5600 till it was on my wrist.  My 5600E is a very basic model but gets a lot of work time use.  The slim profile doesn't get in the way and allows me to reach into smaller spaces without it catching.  I really like the features of the G7700 module 3095 the button are easily depressed and wears like a champ.

My GW330A module 2688 has a few more alarms and solar.  The buttons tho are a PITA to depress. My glove shaped hands with fingers like twinkies have a very difficult time with this watch.  I gave my son and others my watches like these as a result.

There are not only several styles of G Shocks but several modules as well.  The modules can be found on the case back in the box.  This will tell you what the features are so you can determine if those might suit you. 

Its like buying a Mustang in a way, the more engine the more money. 

« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:34:31 PM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 04:32:01 PM
Cap'n, you just bought a watch based on a 25+ year old module and you're complaining as to its lack of features. They make plenty of models even aside from 'the squares' all of which offer 5 alarms. Perhaps you can send that one back for a refund and I will be happy to work with you to find a more suitable G :tu:
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:28:43 PM
Cap'n, you just bought a watch based on a 25+ year old module and you're complaining as to its lack of features. They make plenty of models even aside from 'the squares' all of which offer 5 alarms. Perhaps you can send that one back for a refund and I will be happy to work with you to find a more suitable G :tu:

I had no idea it was based on a 25+ year old module. I also thought I read it had 5 alarms, but I got confused since I was looking at so many models at once. It is what it is and to be honest the watch is growing on me more today than the last. The single alarm function is a issue as I was planning on using the multiple alarms as reminders to take my medicine as well as my dogs medicine schedule and cannot do so now, but again it is what it is and I will figure something else out. Its a excellent watch and I will wear it for the foreseeable future.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 01:00:04 AM

I had no idea it was based on a 25+ year old module. I also thought I read it had 5 alarms, but I got confused since I was looking at so many models at once. It is what it is and to be honest the watch is growing on me more today than the last. The single alarm function is a issue as I was planning on using the multiple alarms as reminders to take my medicine as well as my dogs medicine schedule and cannot do so now, but again it is what it is and I will figure something else out. Its a excellent watch and I will wear it for the foreseeable future.  :tu:
I'm glad it's growing on ya. Next time you're in the market for a G though, please consult me first so I can line you up with all the features you desire :tu:
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 02:55:12 AM

I'm glad it's growing on ya. Next time you're in the market for a G though, please consult me first so I can line you up with all the features you desire :tu:

Will do buddy. Thank you.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 26, 2015, 05:55:11 PM
I added that in the what watch are you wearing thread, too, but if you have missed it: You can add strap adaptors to the watch and wear any Nato/ZULU or other one piece strap you want.

I guess there will be countless G-Shocks with the features you desire.
I will have a look for the G-Shock perfect search link. This is a site where you tick boxes what feature you want and they show which models have them.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%