Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

freehand

buck · 14 · 2303

us Offline buck

freehand
on: May 28, 2015, 07:26:31 PM
I just found out about this.  Is it any good or like the MP650 discontinued for very good reason(s)?
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: freehand
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:32:29 PM
I had the slightly smaller Flik and found it rather flawed, though it does have a few fans here. The pawl mechanism was badly designed and unreliable in my experience. I never had the Freehand, but the design was essentially the same. The drivers were ridiculously short too

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:11 PM
Unlike Al I rather like the Flick. :D  Never tried the Freehand, but it looks to be one chunky tool.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline buck

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 10:23:31 PM
Unlike Al I rather like the Flick. :D  Never tried the Freehand, but it looks to be one chunky tool.

But that avails the opportunity to go croc dundee mode and say "that's not a multitool, THIS is a multitool!".

OK, both my kidneys.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 11:13:28 PM

I'm with Gareth here. I seldom carry my Flik,but found it really rather good. If your screwdriver dependant,it might end up an issue though...
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:32:17 PM
 :worthless:

Here is my copy along with a Flik and MP600 for size comparison.

The Freehand is a massive piece of steel with some weight behind it. However, it is let down by those very small secondary folding tools. To counter that, the main tools are of a good size.

If you want to try something different, then go right ahead, The Freehand is not a tool many carry. I strongly suspect if is due to its heavy weight, and possibly by those small if functional secondary tools. The main tools are of a good size not often seen in a multi-tool. Some folks could never like the closing mechanism on both the Flik and the Freehand. It is somewhat complicated even though none of mine have failed or jammed in use. I EDCed the Flik for a few months when I first got it out of curiosity. It did the job very well...and the Freehand should do an equally good job...provided you can get past the weight and the size of it.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline buck

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:40:10 PM
There's a rumor they are coming out with another even smaller than the FLIK.  It's called the booger.  Yep the Gerber booger.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline buck

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 01:42:46 PM
:worthless:

Here is my copy along with a Flik and MP600 for size comparison.

The Freehand is a massive piece of steel with some weight behind it. However, it is let down by those very small secondary folding tools. To counter that, the main tools are of a good size.

If you want to try something different, then go right ahead, The Freehand is not a tool many carry. I strongly suspect if is due to its heavy weight, and possibly by those small if functional secondary tools. The main tools are of a good size not often seen in a multi-tool. Some folks could never like the closing mechanism on both the Flik and the Freehand. It is somewhat complicated even though none of mine have failed or jammed in use. I EDCed the Flik for a few months when I first got it out of curiosity. It did the job very well...and the Freehand should do an equally good job...provided you can get past the weight and the size of it.

Those small bits remind me of the small bits on Michelangelo's David.

OK, both my kidneys.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 09:54:48 PM
The size of the Freehand definitely does not make them look any bigger, that is for sure.  :D
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 10:20:01 PM
I really like my Flik. I allways liked it size, but now that i see size of Freehand, i think i want one.

I do not care about size of those smaller tools. They get the job done. Multitool for me is not the first tool to go to. And i use them a lot these days.

us Offline buck

Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 11:06:33 PM
I really like my Flik. I allways liked it size, but now that i see size of Freehand, i think i want one.

I do not care about size of those smaller tools. They get the job done. Multitool for me is not the first tool to go to. And i use them a lot these days.

This is the summation of my life.

:-[

OK, both my kidneys.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2015, 02:58:49 PM
If you want massive Needlenose pliers and mainly need what is offered as outside opening tools and only use the drivers in a pinch, the Freehand will work well, if your hands are big enough. I found out I use a Phillips too regularly and my hands should be a bit bigger to use it comfortably.

I´d say it´s a good tool if the tool selection works for you.

us Offline buck

Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 08:38:12 AM
I just got a BO Freehand.  Since everyone says it's big I decided to compare it to my Leatherman MUT.

closed Freehand compared to MUT

open Freehand compared to MUT
It was way quicker and easier to open the Freehand pliers than any Leatherman and unlike the MP600 all the tools are on the outside and most are one hand accessible.

Freehand in its Berry-Compliant (whatever that means) sheath, MUT in its molle sheath.

Berry sheath is versatile, it has removable vertical carry loop which then affords horizontal carry.
It doesn't have an extra pocket for bit kit (but is one even available for Freehand?).

At first I was disappointed in this tool with ruler and flathead screw driver tip but upon closer examination it has maybe the best pry bar in the business.  Of course Gerber could have done better and made the flats files and the edges saws.

blades out

blades out+

tools on parade

As the Leatherman Surge is to the Wave, the Gerber Freehand is to the Diesel.  I think of it as an über Diesel.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 08:41:51 AM by buck »

OK, both my kidneys.

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 05:20:29 PM
I just got a BO Freehand.  Since everyone says it's big I decided to compare it to my Leatherman MUT.

closed Freehand compared to MUT
(Image removed from quote.)

open Freehand compared to MUT
It was way quicker and easier to open the Freehand pliers than any Leatherman and unlike the MP600 all the tools are on the outside and most are one hand accessible.

Freehand in its Berry-Compliant (whatever that means) sheath, MUT in its molle sheath.

Berry sheath is versatile, it has removable vertical carry loop which then affords horizontal carry.
It doesn't have an extra pocket for bit kit (but is one even available for Freehand?).

At first I was disappointed in this tool with ruler and flathead screw driver tip but upon closer examination it has maybe the best pry bar in the business.  Of course Gerber could have done better and made the flats files and the edges saws.

blades out

blades out+

tools on parade

As the Leatherman Surge is to the Wave, the Gerber Freehand is to the Diesel.  I think of it as an über Diesel.
Very good comparasing pics. :tu:
The blade look massive. Like many other here I have a Flik. And i like it. The opening system have never failed once it works like a clock and like other flickies is quite fun to play with and anoy other around you. >:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%