Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking to swap the scales on two 58mm SAKs with out damaging either one.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
I have an old blue sapphire classic, and I am upgrading to a rambler which is currently in the mail. I couldn't find the rambler in blue, so I plan on swapping the scales when it arrives. I have done some research, and poked around these forums a bit before asking. Some people say to soak the SAKs in warm water before prying off the scales. How hot specifically should this water be? Will the water get inside the metal parts and cause rust? I don't want to glue the scales on. If I soak them in warm water, and am careful while prying the scales off, will I likely be able to remove both scales with out causing any damage?

Thanks! And btw, this is my first post here. I do love me some multi-tools and SAKs, so I'll probably stick around.  :D

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
The way you describe it should work. Be careful with hot water or your scales will warp. Personally I've never tried the hot water method, I usually just pop off the scales using a small pen blade and attach the new ones with a vice. But that way, chances are you damage the popped-off scales (the insides of the holes that snap onto the rivets may loose a bit of material so sometimes there's not a perfect fit afterwards).
Also, be careful not to damage the outer liners of your Rambler, any scratches you make will be visible through the translucent scales.

Don't worry about getting your SAKs wet. Just leave them to dry, maybe use some compressed air and oil the pivots when completely dried.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Oh, and welcome to :MTO:
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
I always use hot water not boiling just hot to the touch, I leave them to soak for a minute or so then they should pop off just fine. I use the pen blade off a 91mm Sak , make sure you slide the blade right up to the rivets before you pop it off , that way you shouldn't get any damage. Alps don't worry about water on a Sak I've never had one go rusty.
Hope this helps and welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Weasel

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Sounds pretty doable. Would an Opinel No 8 make a good prying tool?

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
I always use hot water not boiling just hot to the touch, I leave them to soak for a minute or so then they should pop off just fine. I use the pen blade off a 91mm Sak , make sure you slide the blade right up to the rivets before you pop it off , that way you shouldn't get any damage. Alps don't worry about water on a Sak I've never had one go rusty.
Hope this helps and welcome to the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect description. Do not use boiling water, as it will warp the scales, just make sure it is hot.
You can change scales without using this method, but it's very likely you'll break the ring on the scales you pop off. If you want to throw the old scales away there is no real need for warm water.
I use a Watch Opener blade to pry open scales.
Make sure you apply uniform force when putting them back... pliers and vices can crack or dent the scales if used too hard (I cracked quite a few myself).
Ow and after you take the knife out of water, you can wipe it fast with a cloth... this is so water doesn't get stuck inside the scales... but even if it does, do not worry... MODERN SAKS DO NOT RUST! ... well... any steel can rust, but for saks you have to try really hard to get it rusted (think dunking them in salt water for half a year).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Sounds pretty doable. Would an Opinel No 8 make a good prying tool?

I think so, but you could snap the tip of the blade on the Opie if you're not careful...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
I think so, but you could snap the tip of the blade on the Opie if you're not careful...

Well, I will definitely be careful! I don't want to damage either the SAK or Opinel!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%