Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Factory 93mm ALOX w/ scissors!!!!! [UPDATE]

SAK Guy · 581 · 72856

gb Offline shibafu

Re: Victorinox Factory 93mm ALOX w/ scissors!!!!!
Reply #60 on: June 05, 2015, 01:19:34 PM
To avoid any confusion, I posted this in the Facebook Victorinox Alox group, after having a chat with Robert Elsener. For any skeptics, I will gladly provide a screenshot of our conversation :)

He said there will be no more private runs for collectors (of 100 or similar number of pieces) but instead Victorinox will release a special edition for each year. In 2015, the Pioneer range (not just the model) will get scissors. These SAKs will be numbered with the year they were made, and they will be limited only for the year, not in quantity, so they will be easy to get and presumably also reasonably priced

So does that mean after 2015, the Pioneer range + scissors will become unavailable again?  Or do they continue to be available but with a new year stamp?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #61 on: June 05, 2015, 01:35:13 PM
Well this should be interesting! Sorry Syph, cause this is going to take a chunk out of your business! Any clue as to when this is going to take place?
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #62 on: June 05, 2015, 01:36:09 PM
Robert Elsener said by the end of this year, but Victorinox has made these promises before...
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #63 on: June 05, 2015, 04:51:12 PM
I'm waiting,like many others I assume,for this new knife to come to market.

Thanks to all members who brought this to our attention.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline tommywp

Reply #64 on: June 05, 2015, 08:05:18 PM
I'm not as in-the-loop as many here, but I thought Vic was talking about killing off the Alox scales. Guess this puts an end to that idea...which is smurfing fantastic.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #65 on: June 05, 2015, 08:15:54 PM
I wonder how this will affect some of our modders? Adding scissors to Alox is a pretty popular mod.

Nate
That's us mobile

If I'm a modder, this news makes me shift focus to the 84mm. "Fight the enemy where they aren't" - sun tzu
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:20:49 PM by tommywp »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #66 on: June 05, 2015, 08:47:38 PM
I wonder how this will affect some of our modders? Adding scissors to Alox is a pretty popular mod.

Nate
That's us mobile

If I'm a modder, this news makes me shift focus to the 84mm. "Fight the enemy where they aren't" - sun tzu

Doesnt bother me at all.  I was going to make the next springs 50/50 for 84/93 sizes, so now I'll just make 84mm size.  It was actually pretty rare now that someone ordered a basic pioneer + scissors model.  The addition of scissors and phillips was the biggest request.  If the 93mm with scissors is reasonable priced then modding one to add a phillips is going to cost less than before.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #67 on: June 05, 2015, 08:49:52 PM
Having a scary thought here:

Isn't this announcement a bit like LM saying they'll release a Wave with replaceable cutters  ???
SAW

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #68 on: June 05, 2015, 08:50:37 PM
Having a scary thought here:

Isn't this announcement a bit like LM saying they'll release a Wave with replaceable cutters  ???

Did they ever say that?  :think:

If so, WTF. get on it.  :twak:
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #69 on: June 05, 2015, 08:55:53 PM
Well this should be interesting! Sorry Syph, cause this is going to take a chunk out of your business! Any clue as to when this is going to take place?
JR

Regarding this and some similar comments made before, well, maybe the big brands do read these forums, see that modders make some profit out of it... and finally decide that they'd better take the cash? Maybe they'll release even more popular modifications and make them official?  :think:

Soooo I'm a bit late to the show, but, omg, 1.ALOX, 2. SCISSORS, 3, 93!!!!!!!!  :woohoo: :woohoo: God knows how long it'll take them to get at some reasonable price on eBay, though. With shipping  :rant: And with the current exchange rate  :rant:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #70 on: June 05, 2015, 09:07:15 PM
Ok I was curious so I looked back at the last 25 mods I did. 

15 were 91mm conversions to Ti or 91mm alox, and 10 were 93mm alox mods.  Only one of those 10 was a standard pioneer + scissors the rest were other configurations, or just standard conversions of standard models.  Example the electrician I did was a black one with brass liner, thats it.

1.  Pioneer + scissors, phillips
2.  Electrician
3.  Rancher
4.  Rancher + scissors, mag glass
5.  Electrician + scissors, phillips
6.  Marlin spike pioneer + scissors, mag glass, phillips
7.  Pioneer + scissors
8.  Pioneer
9.  Pioneer + scissors, phillips
10. Farmer + scissors, phillips
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

us Offline tommywp

Reply #71 on: June 05, 2015, 09:53:38 PM

Nate
That's us mobile

Doesnt bother me at all.  I was going to make the next springs 50/50 for 84/93 sizes, so now I'll just make 84mm size.  It was actually pretty rare now that someone ordered a basic pioneer + scissors model.  The addition of scissors and phillips was the biggest request.  If the 93mm with scissors is reasonable priced then modding one to add a phillips is going to cost less than before.

Happy to hear that this isn't going to hurt you. Love what you do and would like for it to continue on indefinitely!

And...for selfish reasons...even happier to hear that the 84mm is on deck!

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #72 on: June 05, 2015, 10:03:48 PM
Hope they don't change layout anyhow. Like pivot points and pin position. Would make modding harder between old and new styles..

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #73 on: June 05, 2015, 10:32:45 PM
I'm not as in-the-loop as many here, but I thought Vic was talking about killing off the Alox scales. Guess this puts an end to that idea...which is smurfing fantastic.

This was my thought as well. Since my classic covers my scissor needs, this 93mm + scissors news is most exciting because it seems less likely they'll discontinue the alox models.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #74 on: June 05, 2015, 11:59:08 PM

This was my thought as well. Since my classic covers my scissor needs, this 93mm + scissors news is most exciting because it seems less likely they'll discontinue the alox models.

Thats what I was originally worried about.  When I was ONLY working on the 93mm alox if they killed those off I wouldn't have much else going on.  That did worry me and started me thinking about 91mm modding. 

The only SAKs of the current lineup I dont see lasting are the Delemonts.  They just dont offer much in my opinion from standard Vics and I would put my money on those disappearing sooner than the alox models.

us Offline buck

Reply #75 on: June 06, 2015, 02:47:17 AM
How about some after market snap on alox scales to replace the 93 mm cellidor scales.

Alox SwissChamp anyone?  Let's really poke the bear.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline wjruth

Reply #76 on: June 06, 2015, 05:11:46 AM
I don't see it Buck- part of the appeal of Alox is the scales take place of the outer liner. Makes them thinner.
Always on the lookout for Blue Alox

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #77 on: June 06, 2015, 07:51:37 AM
To avoid any confusion, I posted this in the Facebook Victorinox Alox group, after having a chat with Robert Elsener. For any skeptics, I will gladly provide a screenshot of our conversation :)

He said there will be no more private runs for collectors (of 100 or similar number of pieces) but instead Victorinox will release a special edition for each year. In 2015, the Pioneer range (not just the model) will get scissors. These SAKs will be numbered with the year they were made, and they will be limited only for the year, not in quantity, so they will be easy to get and presumably also reasonably priced

I don't know if this has been asked but.....does this mean no more Swiss Bianco?
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #78 on: June 06, 2015, 08:10:08 AM

I don't know if this has been asked but.....does this mean no more Swiss Bianco?
Young people....

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59921.msg1099186.html#msg1099186
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #79 on: June 06, 2015, 10:45:47 AM
Seems like this is big news?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline buck

Reply #80 on: June 06, 2015, 02:24:00 PM
I don't see it Buck- part of the appeal of Alox is the scales take place of the outer liner. Makes them thinner.

Agreed that is certainly one aspect but some of us like to dance with fat women.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline buck

Reply #81 on: June 06, 2015, 02:28:04 PM

It amazes me why Victorinox allows SwoucheBaggo to scalp their products.  How can that possibly be in their stockholders best interests?

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #82 on: June 06, 2015, 03:05:53 PM

Young people....

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59921.msg1099186.html#msg1099186

Hey, it was late and I'm old, nuff said.
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #83 on: June 06, 2015, 05:10:22 PM
Wow! Can't wait for the Pioneer with scissor...btw I just watched the movie, Survivor. There's a red alox knife on the desk of the Watchmaker (Pierce Brosnan)  :whistle:
-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Reply #84 on: June 06, 2015, 05:22:30 PM
Awesome! :tu:  I want it now. :mail:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #85 on: June 06, 2015, 05:34:24 PM
I don't like when companies who are supposed to be producing tools try to get into the 'collectible' market instead.

They should always produce however many there are a demand for. It only makes sense for their own profitability anyway...
SAW

Offline zimchaz

Reply #86 on: June 06, 2015, 06:53:58 PM
I don't like when companies who are supposed to be producing tools try to get into the 'collectible' market instead.

They should always produce however many there are a demand for. It only makes sense for their own profitability anyway...
But financially it does make sense. Here's why: take a pioneer, and put a round $20 price tag on it. Now add a year stamp, which they have the tooling for already, scissors which they have already, coloured scales which they ha....you can see where this is going. Now put a price tag of $150 on it and only make 100. So that's $20+maybe $10 worth of extras at retail price selling for 150= $120×100= $12000 just because it's only one of 100 and that doesn't stop people buying the same number of base models for $20.

All hypothetical numbers just to illustrate the point.

Now make 5 different colours $60000 and this is knowing that people will definitely buy them.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #87 on: June 06, 2015, 09:32:43 PM

But financially it does make sense. Here's why: take a pioneer, and put a round $20 price tag on it. Now add a year stamp, which they have the tooling for already, scissors which they have already, coloured scales which they ha....you can see where this is going. Now put a price tag of $150 on it and only make 100. So that's $20+maybe $10 worth of extras at retail price selling for 150= $120×100= $12000 just because it's only one of 100 and that doesn't stop people buying the same number of base models for $20.

Now make 5 different colours $60000 and this is knowing that people will definitely buy them.
I really hate that.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

Offline zimchaz

Reply #88 on: June 06, 2015, 09:33:34 PM

I really hate that.
Me too...but it's good business unfortunately.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #89 on: June 07, 2015, 12:12:15 AM
Well there's 100 people every time who think they're worth it, and if it keeps them in profitable business so the rest of us can keep buying the standard stuff, I'm happy with that

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD