Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Differences In Early Leatherman Plier Heads

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Differences In Early Leatherman Plier Heads
on: August 02, 2008, 09:42:24 AM
One of the key pointers too spotting the Riveted PST is the plier head. It was interesting comparing the plier heads of my 2004 PST , my 1999 Flair with my newly acquired Riveted PST's plier head . Obvious differences wording/stamping on the plier face 1) Riveted PST(RPST) has just Leatherman 2)Flair has Leatherman & USA on it 3) Last model PST(PST) has Leatherman & Tool on it.                                                                                                                                    http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/8f22ea67.jpg[/img]]                                        The difference is obvious with the RPST next to the last PST . Unfortunately far from obvious on crappy ebay photos          http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/e77b4a04.jpg[/img]]                                 The Riveted PST & the Flairs plier head besides the stamping on the plier face are almost identical . The only other difference that I can see , is from the side view. The Flair's side machining is too a point & the Riveted has a blunt finish. The Flair is on the right.                                                                                                                                  http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/9c40012b.jpg[/img]]                               The tricky thing as Bob points out in his posts is that there are variations with in the early PST range , so you may have  one of the pointers like the large font LEATHERMAN on the handle's side but it might not be a Riveted PST .So ideally you would have the early style plier head with just Leatherman stamped on the face , the large font on the handle & just inch measurements on the ruler. Bob's work is the best reference as well as Spoony post with links to Bob's work  in it here http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5944.0.html . The early PST variations make it a very challenging hunt  ::)                     

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Re: Differences In Early Leatherman Plier Heads
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:47:59 AM
Some more pics Riveted next to last model PST.                                                                                                            http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/a1d39705.jpg[/img]]                                  http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/multimat426/multitools/476e4bfc.jpg[/img]]

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:04:47 PM
Great comparison pictures there Mat. They really illustrate the differences between the early PST's and those that came later.

Also, do you find the polished finish on your riveted one to be finer and brighter than the newer ones?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 05:24:29 PM
Great comparison pictures there Mat. They really illustrate the differences between the early PST's and those that came later.

Also, do you find the polished finish on your riveted one to be finer and brighter than the newer ones?
                                                                                                                                                              Very much so Bob & one of the really interesting difference between my Riveted PST & my late model PST is that the surface inside the tool's handles on the Riveted PST is highly polished were as on the latter one it looks relatively untouched & not polished. I guess out of site ( for most normal people  ::) :D ) LM probably thought there was no need to finish the surface inside the handles.   

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 05:30:25 PM

Very much so Bob & one of the really interesting difference between my Riveted PST & my late model PST is that the surface inside the tool's handles on the Riveted PST is highly polished were as on the latter one it looks relatively untouched & not polished. I guess out of site ( for most normal people  ::) :D ) LM probably thought there was no need to finish the surface inside the handles.   

Good theory Mat. I see other cost cutting changes as well:

Compare the awl blade on your riveted PST to the others. See how the relief notch has been milled and machined into it? A time consuming process for sure. Later awl blades are simply bevel-ground along one edge. 
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:00:14 AM
Great comparison pics you have there MM :salute: that will help me on my own hunt greatly :cheers: :D

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 06:45:37 PM
Yet another early MTO post about early model PSTs :cheers:

ru Offline wowaboro

Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:15:04 PM
OK. Let's refresh old topic  :)
My research of PST's plier heads (flat and CC) :

UPD
Japan PST's plier heads:

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 07:28:22 PM by wowaboro »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 07:20:07 PM
Excellent info!!!  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 07:21:06 PM
Yes sir that is why I like reviving old threads :tu: new info is great to go with some of the older now that we know more :salute:

Thanks for that wowaboro :cheers:

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 02:09:52 PM
Yes sir that is why I like reviving old threads :tu: new info is great to go with some of the older now that we know more :salute:

Thanks for that wowaboro :cheers:

+1   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44