Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mr Pinchy, and Mr Pinchy-lite

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Mr Pinchy, and Mr Pinchy-lite
on: June 05, 2015, 04:07:33 PM
I snapped these two photo's of my fairly early Mr Pinchy's. One is obviously a much more efficient pincher than the other, you can see that the handle ends actually meet/touch on this one. The other Mr Pinchy seems to have been engineered somewhat better to mitigate pinching (though it will still pinch if provoked, just not quite so badly).
Note that both Gerbers are from a similar era of manufacture. They both have button head screws on the flicky mechanism's, but the "real" Mr Pinchy has double-ended button allen--headed screws that hold the tools in the handles, whereas Mr Pinchy-lite has button headed allen screws that screw into a fixed receiver to hold the tools.
Though the plier heads appear similar, they are in fact different. "real" Mr Pinchyhas a plier pivot that seems adjustable via a couple of screwed rings, whereas Mr Pinchy-lite appears to be a rivetted plier head pivot, and hasn't been ground quite so nicely to finish it off on the edges of the plier pivot.
photo 1(1).JPG
* photo 1(1).JPG (Filesize: 274.7 KB)
photo 2(1).JPG
* photo 2(1).JPG (Filesize: 271.75 KB)

us Offline BASguy

Re: Mr Pinchy, and Mr Pinchy-lite
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 01:19:51 AM
I don't know the background here..... Why does everyone refer to them as Mr Pinchy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:34:13 AM
The name is in recognition of the idea that if the pliers slip away from holding something, the very parallel handles are liable to give you a nasty pinch on the palm of your hand.  I will say that the only MT I've ever actually done this with was a LM Wave. :doh:

Interesting comparison Neill. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 01:44:41 AM
The Leatherman OHT is another bad one and slightly less the Surge and Charge etc. Do it bad enough the first time and you'll never do it again.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 04:27:45 AM
My first Mr. Pinchy got me about 30 seconds after I got it out of the box it shipped to me in. :ahhh
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 04:41:30 AM
My first Mr. Pinchy got me about 30 seconds after I got it out of the box it shipped to me in. :ahhh

Sure you didn't order a Mr Quickie?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 04:48:33 AM

Sure you didn't order a Mr Quickie?

:think:  Maybe that was my problem.

That first old Gerber was the tool I first called Mr. Pinchy on here. :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline BASguy

Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 05:29:10 PM

The name is in recognition of the idea that if the pliers slip away from holding something, the very parallel handles are liable to give you a nasty pinch on the palm of your hand.  I will say that the only MT I've ever actually done this with was a LM Wave. :doh:

Interesting comparison Neill. :tu:

:tu:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

00 Offline symphonyincminor

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 03:53:55 PM
The one on the left looks like a Gen. 4, while the one on the right is a Gen. 2

The tool selection should be different (the Gen 2. should have a big triangular awl while the Gen. 4 replaced it with a file).

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 06:08:27 PM
As I used my Pinchy almost everyday for a very very long time as my only mt which almost gave me permanent blisters that were more likely to get pinched again.
Like when you bite yourself inside the chin and get a little "standout" in the skin.
Why I didn´t got another mt is till a mystery to me but ignorence was a part of it. :facepalm:

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 07:32:15 PM
Those look great, live the old pinchy's  :D

The one on the left looks like a Gen. 4, while the one on the right is a Gen. 2

The tool selection should be different (the Gen 2. should have a big triangular awl while the Gen. 4 replaced it with a file).

Is this also a Gen 2? It has a different plier head shape, Gen 2 tool layout.

Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 03:47:44 PM

For some reason I can't see the picture you attached(?)

If it has the Gen. 2 tool layout, it may be one of the following:

Gen. 2 - pivot bushing in the plier head
Gen. 3 - Gerber removed the pivot bushing, but kept the same tool layout as Gen. 2

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2015, 04:22:23 PM
I bought a Gerber Multiplier I think it was in the early to mid 1990s sometime and it did bite me once or twice but after that it never bothered me again. My original Leatherman is much worse. I still get bit after 30 years of owning it. The sharp edges in the handle are impossible to avoid and the tools don't want to come out without sticking you.
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2015, 06:59:47 PM

For some reason I can't see the picture you attached(?)

If it has the Gen. 2 tool layout, it may be one of the following:

Gen. 2 - pivot bushing in the plier head
Gen. 3 - Gerber removed the pivot bushing, but kept the same tool layout as Gen. 2

Strange, gone for me as well. Well I think it's Gen 2, but the plier head being a different shape, and appearing machined (not cast), has me curious. Lets try again

Rebel- bit as in, pinch your hands when the handles close the pliers, or bit by implements, sharp edges, etc.?
WP_20150903_005.jpg
* WP_20150903_005.jpg (Filesize: 123.21 KB)

00 Offline rebel

Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 07:07:58 PM
Rebel- bit as in, pinch your hands when the handles close the pliers, or bit by implements, sharp edges, etc.?

It's been a long time and it was stolen in early 2000s so I can't be sure but I think it was when the plier head retracted into the body because I didn't pay attention and make sure it was locked. Or it could have been when retracting the pliers on purpose. The only thing I remember for sure is when I paid attention after a couple of times and used it correctly it was fine. Very nice tool, heavy duty and practical.
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2015, 07:11:52 PM

It's been a long time and it was stolen in early 2000s so I can't be sure but I think it was when the plier head retracted into the body because I didn't pay attention and make sure it was locked. Or it could have been when retracting the pliers on purpose. The only thing I remember for sure is when I paid attention after a couple of times and used it correctly it was fine. Very nice tool, heavy duty and practical.

Lol my bad- I meant the PST  :facepalm:

But I love to hear about the pinchy! They are really robust, and are one of the more 'tool' feeling multis out there. Plus, the jaws can grab bigger things than just about any other pliers tool out there!

00 Offline rebel

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 07:22:00 PM
Oh, just that the handles are just sharp and not designed very ergonomically. If you squeeze the pliers hard it just is not comfortable. And the tools don't lock and some don't stay in place very well and can close on your hand. A real minimalist tool...

They [sic Gerber] are really robust, and are one of the more 'tool' feeling multis out there. Plus, the jaws can grab bigger things than just about any other pliers tool out there!

I don't have much to compare it to but yeah, I really liked the pliers on those. I put up a bunch of panel fence and did some other stuff and they worked great.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:23:39 PM by rebel »
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2015, 10:29:51 AM
Oh, just that the handles are just sharp and not designed very ergonomically. If you squeeze the pliers hard it just is not comfortable. And the tools don't lock and some don't stay in place very well and can close on your hand. A real minimalist tool...

They [sic Gerber] are really robust, and are one of the more 'tool' feeling multis out there. Plus, the jaws can grab bigger things than just about any other pliers tool out there!

I don't have much to compare it to but yeah, I really liked the pliers on those. I put up a bunch of panel fence and did some other stuff and they worked great.

This is a fair point IMO.  The PST is uncomfortable all the time, the Multiplier is only painful if you get it wrong. :D

That said I've come to like the PST in the last few years for it's truly compact design. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Reply #18 on: September 11, 2015, 03:20:18 PM
Strange, gone for me as well. Well I think it's Gen 2, but the plier head being a different shape, and appearing machined (not cast), has me curious. Lets try again

Yep - that's a Gen. 2 :)

I believe Gerber still machined the head's for the Gen. 2 pliers as far as I know. There was a very informative thread that included some comments from one of the original set-up machinists that helped Gerber build the original Multi-Pliers (and helped grow the the company). A lot of work went into the early ones before they moved to casting.

Found it: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,17190.0.html

Look for the posts from member "Ione"

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 08:26:47 PM

Yep - that's a Gen. 2 :)

I believe Gerber still machined the head's for the Gen. 2 pliers as far as I know. There was a very informative thread that included some comments from one of the original set-up machinists that helped Gerber build the original Multi-Pliers (and helped grow the the company). A lot of work went into the early ones before they moved to casting.

Found it: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,17190.0.html

Look for the posts from member "Ione"

Wow! Thank you! That was incredible, too bad he didn't stick around! So that means it's possible he made my pinchy plier head? :o :o :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%