Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you carry your cell phone?

Aloha · 63 · 3236

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: How do you carry your cell phone?
Reply #30 on: June 10, 2015, 05:45:57 PM
Do you mean one with or without service?

It applies to both, but paying the crazy prices for cell phone service to never use it is quite ridiculous.

Can you not use a pre-paid phone?  If The Wire is to be believed then you have those in the US similar to what we have here :)  That's what I have and it effectively costs me nothing, except for a few pennies of credit every few months making a call to keep it active.

I tried a pre-paid for a month. It cost about $30 USD per month and it was such a terrible experience I never paid for another month again. The service was horrid and I could not even make a call more than half the time. I could not even get service in my own home. Complete waste of money and their customer service is outsourced to India. When trying to contact customer service all I got was people struggling to understand English and having no concept of how to help a customer. All they do is give you the same generic answers off a sheet they are reading and no one can ever help you. You just keep getting the run around. To add to that I actually looked into hooking it back up yesterday and they told me I was lying about my phone number and I never had a phone with them. I refuse to deal with a company that operates like this.

I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 05:54:18 PM
@kosmo, lol, I also hate speaking on the phone. A lot. Or Skype or Viber or whatever else is out there. But I do use it to chat :D

Hm, seems that the US have a very different policy when it comes to pre-paid phones. Here they changed hte terms and conditions a bit, too. Previously, you could buy a 10lv / 6-7 USD "card" and stretch that for a year i.e. your number's kept active and your money is' "in the phone" for one year. Now they've reduced the period - you get a 6-7 USD card and you can use it within 3 months. If you don't use it, the money's "gone", but at least the number's active again for a year. You can also buy a $3 card and you have to use the $3 within one month, if you don't, the money disappears. So it seems to be way cheaper than the US.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 06:07:41 PM
@kosmo, lol, I also hate speaking on the phone. A lot. Or Skype or Viber or whatever else is out there. But I do use it to chat :D

Hm, seems that the US have a very different policy when it comes to pre-paid phones. Here they changed hte terms and conditions a bit, too. Previously, you could buy a 10lv / 6-7 USD "card" and stretch that for a year i.e. your number's kept active and your money is' "in the phone" for one year. Now they've reduced the period - you get a 6-7 USD card and you can use it within 3 months. If you don't use it, the money's "gone", but at least the number's active again for a year. You can also buy a $3 card and you have to use the $3 within one month, if you don't, the money disappears. So it seems to be way cheaper than the US.

That seems much more reasonable. Around here its whatever you buy you have 30 days to use. If you don't use it its gone.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #33 on: June 11, 2015, 02:45:49 AM
Honestly I don't even use my phone as a phone very much.  I text more than I talk and I use the internet more than I text.  I use it for everything; at work when I'm working on some obscure unit I've never seen, I google it and there is usually some form of help on forums or youtube about whatever piece of machinery I'm wrenching on.  It's incredibly useful as I'm in Hospitality and when I'm working on something the guest's patience clock is usually ticking. 

If they decided to separate internet from phone usage I would probably survive without the phone part.  My phone is huge, so it's not very comfortable to talk on anyway. 

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 02:59:38 AM
   Alright. With all this cell phone talk and a recent event that happened yesterday I pulled the trigger on a pre-paid. First off the event that happened was I was having a important conversation on my house phone and for some strange reason I lost connection for a few hours leaving me "stranded". Its funny how things like this happen just a couple days after this thread started and I mentioned how much I do not need a phone. Now everything was fine and I finished my call a few hours later, but it got me thinking. I also had one concern and that was my car breaking down while far away from home. I travel far away from home ever so often and always worry about this and my car has been acting weird lately so that kind of sealed the deal.
   Now you all know my hatred for the last pre-paid phone I used. The phone barely worked. Seriously, I had no service even in my own home and it could only find one bar of service about 50% of the time no matter where I was. Basically useless and frustrating to say the least. On top of that the customer service was crap. I looked into a few pre-paid services offered through the major cellular companies and after weeding out all the bullsmurf like hidden fees and hidden rebates I found a company that offered a very straight forward option. I was hoping for a free phone, but to be honest that trend (for the most part) went out many years ago once phones started becoming miniature computers. I just needed a phone to make calls on. Possibly text and that's it. No internet. No bells and whistles. Found a phone for $15. One time purchase. The cheapest plan is $30 a month for unlimited talk and text. Ended up doing that. So $30 a month and I can stop the service with no penalties at any time. The phone works great! Its everything I need and nothing I don't. Old school flip phone. I'm a happy camper. I blame all of you.  :D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 03:01:46 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 06:31:25 AM
Ayyy! Welcome to the first 21st century capt!!

It's okay, I blame you for purchasing 2 more nitecore tubes and Tuff Cloth

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 07:23:30 AM
Ayyy! Welcome to the first 21st century capt!!

It's okay, I blame you for purchasing 2 more nitecore tubes and Tuff Cloth

Haha, thanks.
I'm the milk man!

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 08:14:58 AM
Lool, happy phone! :D

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 11:34:30 AM
Old school flip phone.

So your answer to the original post can be "just throw it in a pocket, bag, glovebox, or whatever, with no fears about scratching the screen or pocket dialling" - same here,  old-school flip phones are great :D

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 12:51:29 PM
Capt, with the unlimited talk and text, would you be able to cancel your home phone to save some cash?  For us, the only reason we have a home phone is for the alarm system.  I don't even know the number!! :rofl:

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #40 on: June 11, 2015, 04:57:50 PM
Old school flip phone.

So your answer to the original post can be "just throw it in a pocket, bag, glovebox, or whatever, with no fears about scratching the screen or pocket dialling" - same here,  old-school flip phones are great :D

Exactly. It will carry in my left pocket. Just drop it in. For the past year or so I was loving the extra pocket space for MT's and whatever, but the phone has delighted most of that space now. I will still carry stuff in that pocket with my phone though as I could care less if it gets scratched up.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: June 11, 2015, 04:59:04 PM
Capt, with the unlimited talk and text, would you be able to cancel your home phone to save some cash?  For us, the only reason we have a home phone is for the alarm system.  I don't even know the number!! :rofl:

My home phone was contingent with the cable plan to get a cheaper deal. I have to have it.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #42 on: June 11, 2015, 05:49:06 PM
The things we "sell" here at MTo  :D.  Sorry and your welcome CAPT  :think:

I haven't had a land line in years.  MY roommate has a young child so she had one activated JIC.  I have 3 teens and those with teens know their main form of communication ( like it or not ) is text.  I can go all week without a phone call or text honestly.  I like to have face to face conversation ( with the exception of MTO  :D ) and while texting is quick it also gets annoying when some people want to have full "conversations". 

Glad you got a phone Capt especially an inexpensive one.   
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #43 on: June 11, 2015, 07:40:26 PM
The things we "sell" here at MTo  :D.  Sorry and your welcome CAPT  :think:

I haven't had a land line in years.  MY roommate has a young child so she had one activated JIC.  I have 3 teens and those with teens know their main form of communication ( like it or not ) is text.  I can go all week without a phone call or text honestly.  I like to have face to face conversation ( with the exception of MTO  :D ) and while texting is quick it also gets annoying when some people want to have full "conversations"

Glad you got a phone Capt especially an inexpensive one.

I used to hate that. If you want to have a full conversation then call me. Why spend a hour texting back and forth.  :twak:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #44 on: June 11, 2015, 07:41:36 PM
I was just thinking about it and if I want to text now I have to use the old style. For example if I want the letter "C" I have to hit the number one, three times. Ughh. Please no one text me.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: June 11, 2015, 10:19:55 PM
Honestly I don't even use my phone as a phone very much.  I text more than I talk and I use the internet more than I text.  I use it for everything; at work when I'm working on some obscure unit I've never seen, I google it and there is usually some form of help on forums or youtube about whatever piece of machinery I'm wrenching on.  It's incredibly useful as I'm in Hospitality and when I'm working on something the guest's patience clock is usually ticking. 

If they decided to separate internet from phone usage I would probably survive without the phone part.  My phone is huge, so it's not very comfortable to talk on anyway.

I'm exactly the same don't need the phone function 90% of the time
Weasel

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 09:54:00 AM

I can chat on my phone, but the keyboard experience is tiring.  And after I accidentally ran my phone through the washing machine :whistle:
 some of the keys don't work as well.

WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #47 on: June 12, 2015, 05:58:48 PM
I was just thinking about it and if I want to text now I have to use the old style. For example if I want the letter "C" I have to hit the number one, three times. Ughh. Please no one text me.

it doesn't support T9?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #48 on: June 12, 2015, 06:56:54 PM

it doesn't support T9?

Nope. Not that I can find.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 06:58:01 PM

I can chat on my phone, but the keyboard experience is tiring.  And after I accidentally ran my phone through the washing machine some of the keys don't work as well.

(Image removed from quote.)

Shoot. Your lucky your phone works at all after that. You must have a new front loading low water washer.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 10:06:59 PM

I can chat on my phone, but the keyboard experience is tiring.  And after I accidentally ran my phone through the washing machine some of the keys don't work as well.

(Image removed from quote.)

Shoot. Your lucky your phone works at all after that. You must have a new front loading low water washer.

Yep.  I thought there was no hope, but was surprised.  Had to get a new battery.  The washer is a front load low water (high spin rate) washer.  It acts like a centrifuge.
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: June 13, 2015, 06:23:12 AM
I carry my Note3 most of the time in my left front slacks pocket and sometimes in my left back slacks  pocket.  BTW for protection again scratches I  use very thin transparent silicone rubber back protector and tempered glass screen ptotector.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #52 on: June 13, 2015, 06:19:57 PM

Among all the stuff we carry ( or I carry ) my cell is a very important part of my living.  I use it primarily for business so having quick access and a safe way to carry it are necessary.  I have typically put it into my pocket ( iphone5withotterboxdefendercase ) but it takes up so much real estate.

When I'm working I wear a tool belt with pouches however slipping it into a pouch is not really the best solution.  I wear shirts with pockets on the chest so when the phone fits, in it goes.  Now this is not the best option either as I've leaned over several times and yup out falls the phone.  I climb ladders a lot and coming on and off roofs with my phone in shirt pocket isn't the safest for my phone....... don't ask!

I bought a case at the flea market which fits my phone great.  The thickness and size of the phone keeps it snug in the case.  I like that its simple yet has the molle loops so I can add my always needed pens.  So far this has been the best case scenario ( see what i did there ) for my phone.  I can attach it to my work belt and back onto my pants belt easily which is a win. 

I don't know what the name of the case is or what it's official use is but I like it. 

How are you all carrying your phones??

EDIT
btw the loop of cord is how I hold my ear buds.  Its the stretchy cord so when I put in my ear buds and pull one end it cinches them very securely.     
Sounds like we do similar work.  Your iPhone with otter box case will fit nicely in the right side leg pockets.  These are my EDC work pants, rugged as heck and quite comfortable.
http://workingperson.com/carhartt-mens-b11mdt-midnight-work-dungaree-pants.html

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #53 on: June 13, 2015, 10:06:33 PM
Looks like the same pants I wear. Lots of pockets!

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline cody6268

Reply #54 on: June 14, 2015, 07:52:02 PM
I use a nylon Custom Leather Craft case when I borrow my grandmother's cellphone, which I clip on my pocket or slip on my leather belt.    I had Tracfones for a number of years, but customer service agents who often could not speak English every well and having to get a card every month (or more if I used the data a lot).  Now I think I'll just get a Samsung Rugby (which is what my grandfather has) or other Mil-Spec phone then get added to my grandparents plan(I hate smartphones, the last Tracfone I owned was one), as any other phone won't survive me.

Originally, I had bought the CLC phone case for my Victorinox Fieldmaster, yet it only would fit a Leatherman sized knife, and I already had one of those for an Imperial Cutlery Leatherman style knife.  When the guy at the hardware store handed it me, I just went on and bought it to use as well, a cellphone case.

us Offline BASguy

Reply #55 on: June 15, 2015, 03:36:39 AM

Nate
That's us mobile
These are really great work pants.  Sorry for the thread hijack

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #56 on: June 15, 2015, 07:03:15 AM

Nate
That's us mobile
These are really great work pants.  Sorry for the thread hijack(Image removed from quote.)

You didn't hijack it, we are easily distra-oooh something shiny!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: June 15, 2015, 08:10:47 AM

Nate
That's us mobile
These are really great work pants.  Sorry for the thread hijack(Image removed from quote.)

Hands off  :twak:  it is mine, all MINE!  :climber:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #58 on: June 15, 2015, 03:07:00 PM

Nate
That's us mobile

Hands off  :twak:  it is mine, all MINE!  :climber:

I SAW IT FIRST!!   :viking:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #59 on: June 15, 2015, 03:21:42 PM
Noooo! I seen it firs........hey what's that shiney thing over there?

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62