Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do you carry your gear on you?

Aloha · 29 · 3900

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
How do you carry your gear on you?
on: June 08, 2015, 07:33:46 PM
I don't carry a bag so into my pockets everything goes.  I do belt carry a few things and while I don't like to have a belt full of stuff I think what I do have is working for me so far.

I wear jeans mostly but Dickies work pants also get worn. 

Front Left Pocket is for my wallet, PFAK, and SAK.  Pictured is my Swisschamp tho my Deluxe Tinker is known to get pocket time.

PFAK is simple, a few bandages, alcohol wipes, safety pins, ibuprofen, allergy med, natural pain med, and cotton swabs. I see people stick all sort of things in their ears  :o.  If my ear itches I'll use a swab.  The business card holder is perfect for holding these items.  ( not endorsing these meds )   

Front Right Pocket is for my handkerchief and keys.  I use the Victorinox belt thingy with attached chain to secure my keys.  I have more keys ( not pictured ) that actually hang from the chain into my pocket.  I attach my truck keys to the Vic belt thing for quick access.  I began to despise dangly key so this so far is working. 

Coin Pocket is for my lip balm.

Front Right Belt approx 2 o'clock is where I've been putting my phone sheath. Just behind that is where I attach the Vic belt clip for my keys.   

Rear Left Pocket is for my bandana.

Rear Right Pocket is empty.

Rear Left Belt approx 8 o'clock is where I keep my Leatherman Sheath.  The BO Wave has been my main carry now since getting it.  I keep my PW2 and LM Bit Card and Extender in the sheath.

If and when I carry a dedicated folder it will typically go into my Rear Left Pocket.  I have been moving my SAK over to that pocket from time to time but I like having it in the front pocket more. 

IMG_8118.JPG
* IMG_8118.JPG (Filesize: 281.28 KB)
IMG_8119.jpg
* IMG_8119.jpg (Filesize: 308.69 KB)
IMG_8120.jpg
* IMG_8120.jpg (Filesize: 256.17 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How do you carry your gear on you?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:44:38 PM
I don't carry a Man Sack either, though I keep one in my vehicle for occasion use.

I try to wear 5.11 brand Taclite Pro pants whenever possible, which gives a few more pocket options than jeans or other pants.  Aside from the phone on my belt, everything else goes in a pocket:  small 9mm pistol, flashlight, keys, folding knife, SAK, mini Bic, and wallet.  This approach also promotes carrying the smallest items with the most utility.

By carrying everything in my pockets, there is no Man Sack to haul around, to lose or get stolen, etc.  I work from home, which makes it easier.  Were I to travel to a workplace everyday, I would likely carry a Man Bag.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:47:16 PM
Phone in front left pocket. Keys, light, SAK in front right. Wallet, multi, lip balm and tissues go in back pockets on my way out the door unless I've got a jacket or bag in which case they go there.

Bag contains everything else - spare light, little FAK, notebook, pens, buff, batteries, a few more tools, headphones, tablet, camera, etc.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:50:32 PM
My truck is my office and being out in the field is where I conduct business.  I don't like the bag thing because I don't like to hand carry or shoulder anything if I don't have to.  I am rarely far from my truck so if I need anything I can always get to it pretty quickly.  When off I stay close to home other than errands which are routine so pocket and belt carry work. 

I have issues with belt loops.  Some pants have great belt loops while others are spaced lame.  I also don't like to carry to much in my rear pockets as you can tell, it make my butt look huge  :rofl:.  Kidding.  Wait do those pants make my butt look huge  :think:

:rofl:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 01:21:26 AM
I really try to avoid belt wearing unless I'm working on something specifically.  For everyday, phone front left by itself.  Two handkerchiefs, one in each back pocket.  Front right gets wallet and SAK.  If I'm wearing jeans, coin pocket gets the light and small LM.  If I carry a full size LM, it rides with my wallet, light and small SAK in the coin pocket.

Now that summer's here I'll wear cargo shorts occasionally.  Lack of coin pocket means front right gets wallet, SAK, and light.  And LM clipped down in the cargo pocket.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 04:57:16 AM
I don't do sheath carry, whether at work or not.  I work at a bank, and even though I'm not in a customer relations type position (my customers are internal, fellow employees), I still don't think a sheath would look right with my attire.  Plus I'm not into the idea of having to open a sheath to get my MT out should I need it, or want to fiddle with it.  Sheaths can be loud and disruptive, and I don't want to be "announcing" that I'm getting it out.  So all in the pockets for me. 

Left front pocket carries my tacpen and cell phone.
Right front pocket (coin pocket) carries my SAK(s).
Right back pocket carries my wallet and MT.

That's my typical setup for my work attire.  It can vary in jeans, but it depends on what I decide to carry. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 05:43:37 AM
Cool topic Aloha. Work carry hasnt changed much over the years. I wear dickies double knee carpenter pants. Nine pockets to stuff if I went that far. I pretty much eleminated a tool belt with the skinth sharpshooter. So dumping the contents of my pockets to put a tool belt on to do a work order has stopped. I work at a college and the jobs we get really dont require a ton of tools and material. Besides 70% of our work orders are due to vandalism. Skinth hangs from right front pocket during a call. Normally knife is in right front. MT and two way on belt in 4/5 oclock position. SAK if carried is in watch pocket. Slim wallet left front. Phone in right leg pocket. Keys hang on left belt loop at about 10 oclock. It gets heavy to be honest. The two way radio is the killer. One thing I could live without.

At home its pretty simple. Knife, SAK or clipped MT goes in the right pocket for lounging around the house.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:50:19 AM
Yall so lucky!!

Last time I were cargo shorts or jeans to work they ripped within the hour.

I'm 6'4" and shorts are just not made for me and physical work.

So I usually carry a phone and leatherman in my right pocket.

Wallet and keys in the left.

That's it, unless I have my backpack but it's generally in the truck. And there is always a leatherman in the sheath bolted to my console.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:12:36 PM
I just stuff my pockets full of whatever I might need for the day.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 01:54:35 PM
Wallet and keys usually in jacket pocket. EDC stuff and whatever book I'm reading in a murse/man sack/guide bag/messenger/sling bag/whatever. :)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 02:09:07 PM
When I first joined here I was the most simple, wallet back right pocket, handkerchief back left, money clip front left, keys on clip on the left hip and sak or multitool on right hip, done deal! Since then my sak/multitool carry has changed idk how many times, but my trick is to keep the pockets the same way yet the sheath just grew in size to accommodate more stuff, like the flashlight, or the pen and mini notepad, but over time it just got to heavy so now everything just got shoved in a small sling. But the sak got back its original sheath and stays on the hip, or on the clip or paracord hook for pocket carry! The one thing that has gotten out of control and I haven't been able to figure out is the keychain, more and more stuff has gotten thrown on and to the point where it bounces and makes noise as I walk, i made some type of nylon wrap/carry, but now it's heavier and a pain to get to the keys, I got an idea so we'll see..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline wsm0807

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 02:31:03 PM
I keep my wallet in my back right  pocket,  back left is empty.  Feont left pocket is for my phone. Front right is the fullest,  chap stick,  SAK,  and van keys.  I belt carry my lm wave on the back right and 2AA led mag light on the back left. 

nz Offline Henry

Reply #12 on: June 10, 2015, 01:00:43 AM
I generally carry a lot of gear on me,  in the summer I'm either wearing Carhartts or Cactus Tradie pants. In the Winter it's ski pants or Cactus Dreadnoughts. I have a tactical vest, and an outer shell with a lot of pockets, it often surprises me how heavy it is when I take it off at the end of the day! I can also take the jacket/vest off and not have to worry about getting poked/breaking anything.

My 'EDC' is on my belt, currently a Surge Leather sheath, old wave leather sheath, Cactus radio harness, and biner that has tape on it and usually clipped into a lanyard for pocketed items that tend to fall out. This is hopefully going to go into a Skinth soon, so I'll have radio on left hip, tools on right.

Car keys and wallet goes into my locker when I get to work, I don't need them and don't want to lose them when out and about! Don't have anything in back pockets as I'm riding skidoos/quad bikes and don't have anything in front pockets as that just annoys me when I'm lying down/in awkward positions.
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #13 on: June 10, 2015, 10:32:11 AM
Recently started to edc a backpack. I've got little kids and it's extremely convenient to not only carry gear for myself but extras for them too when needed.

As far as tools go. 90% of the time I've got a surge on my belt in a sheath otherwise it's a wave and pocket clip for a stealth approach.

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 07:22:12 AM
I always wear Wrangler jeans, so my carry options aren't as high as cargo pants. I have found that my perfect system is an Ontario Rat 1 clipped to my right pocket with a Streamlight Stylus Pro clipped behind it, against the back seam. I don't always carry a wallet, so my right pocket is where I put money , keys, and "dog spray". In my back right pocket I carry a few napkins. I think that napkins are such an essential edc item. I use them constantly for blowing my nose, checking oil levels in machines, and all kinds of other uses. I always sheath carry my multitool, so I am usually either carrying a Wave in it's nylon sheath with a LM Croc and bit extender, or a Leatherman Core in it's leather sheath. I carry the sheath at the 3 o'clock position. It does move forward when I run, but it is just better for me than having it in the 3-6 o'clock position.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 07:59:32 AM
Ohhh... that's soooo difficult for a woman, lol. With our tight pants and clothes and the lack of pockets and and and. No matter what I wear, though, I try to have my (small) wallet in my front pocket. I also clip a small flashlight somewhere on my clothes (AAA with a clip). I also try to manage to squeeze a knife somewhere in my pockets.

The other stuff goes in the purse in the summer. In the winter, most things go into my cool laaarge jacket's pockets, lol.

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 06:24:09 PM
Ohhh... that's soooo difficult for a woman, lol. With our tight pants and clothes and the lack of pockets and and and. No matter what I wear, though, I try to have my (small) wallet in my front pocket. I also clip a small flashlight somewhere on my clothes (AAA with a clip). I also try to manage to squeeze a knife somewhere in my pockets.

The other stuff goes in the purse in the summer. In the winter, most things go into my cool laaarge jacket's pockets, lol.

That's true about having small pockets, but at least women have the option to carry as much as they want in their purse.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 06:31:57 PM
Haha, you're probably right :D I just want to have all the stuff I like/want immediately on me.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #18 on: July 04, 2015, 04:35:38 PM
As a physical security contractor I look like trouble from the start. Belt - right side - SAK SOS kit, behind that the Swiss Tools both in the same belt section. Left side, small phone in case, behind that in the same section 2 1/2 Oz. pepper spray. Left front pocket, my work tool kit for locks, right front pocket, if I can - Ruger LCP .380. Right rear a "secretary" containing all my ID and other company stuff, left rear - handkerchief, and small coin purse containing small parts so I don't have to walk back to the truck if I find something needs changing.

If I can't carry the LCP, then the coin purse goes in the right front pocket.

If you think that this is a lot - remember I am carrying all the secrets to your plant / building security on me - and - I work on those things which keep your people, plant and product secure. YOU do want those secrets defended DON'T YOU??

The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 02:00:40 AM
God invented Cargo Pants, and he saw that they were good.

Left Cargo - Paperwork, stationery, bandaids, whatever other junk I leave in my organiser.

Right Cargo - ??? This is the "action" pocket, tools, rags, screws, extra ammo, shiny things I find on the ground, nuka cola caps.

Left Hip - Keys, wads of mixed currency, small chickens, beef jerky, valuable stones suitable for barter.

Right Hip - Knife.

Belt - Multitool.

Bag - Laptop, more paperwork, food, half a brick, water, a thousand glow sticks, 50 ft rope, bunch of lighters, a pack of stale tobacco, torch, bigger knife, assorted brass, change of trousers, monocle.

I use a chaos theory method of organising, in that the most frequently accessed items naturally stay at the top of the pile.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 02:02:27 AM by Sea Monster »

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 02:33:08 AM

Left Cargo - Paperwork, stationery, bandaids, whatever other junk I leave in my organiser.

Right Cargo - ??? This is the "action" pocket, tools, rags, screws, extra ammo, shiny things I find on the ground, nuka cola caps.

Left Hip - Keys, wads of mixed currency, small chickens, beef jerky, valuable stones suitable for barter.

Right Hip - Knife.

Belt - Multitool.

Bag - Laptop, more paperwork, food, half a brick, water, a thousand glow sticks, 50 ft rope, bunch of lighters, a pack of stale tobacco, torch, bigger knife, assorted brass, change of trousers, monocle.

I use a chaos theory method of organising, in that the most frequently accessed items naturally stay at the top of the pile.

Why even add this? Please leave beliefs out of the forum.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 07:23:56 AM

Right Hip - Knife.

Belt - Multitool.

:rofl:

Love it. 
Esse Quam Videri

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:21 PM
Hah, I love it! A pants load-out thread :D
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

00 Offline rebel

• A country boy can survive
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 02:04:04 PM
Why even add this? Please leave beliefs out of the forum.

I believe I'll have another Jack Daniels...
We say Grace, we say ma'am
If you ain't into that we don't give a damn...
-- Hank Williams, Jr.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #24 on: December 06, 2015, 01:52:54 PM
I find I can meet most of my needs with carpenter's pants or shorts. I prefer the open pockets of carpenter's pants over the cargo pockets with covers that you find on tactical pants. The extra pockets mean I don't need an external bag most of the time for the amount of stuff I carry. I'm not a carpenter, however, so the first thing I do is cut off the hammer loop which I find gets in my way.
EDC Pro Tip:  Wear suspenders to hold your pants up, and a belt to hang your gear on.  Because the suspenders will hold your pants up regardless of how much your gear weighs you won't have to make the belt uncomfortably tight.

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: December 06, 2015, 02:06:05 PM
I usually wear classic style jeans, so I have a bag in bag with most of my stuff and I move this between three Victorinox bags, a Trevi briefcase for work, a backpack for travel and a monosling for all the rest. But I keep my Opinel in my right jeans pocket, a MTO casino coin in the condompocket and my comboloi on my left jeans pocket, with my wallet on the right back.

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #26 on: December 06, 2015, 08:01:45 PM
a MTO casino coin in the condompocket
Rocking a different sort of contraceptive there eh?
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 02:40:25 PM
Most of my needed tools are nearby, a toolbag in the truck always, or a toolbox in the garage. I like to carry fairly light even if I'm in Levi's 99% of my waking hours (while the other 1% I'm just plain uncomfortable...) So...

Wallet in left rear with small comb and toothpick, keys in right front, sometimes with OPT or small SAK, Spirit lately in left front vertically with safety pin pocket divider, otherwise full size SAK in left front. Right rear usually some incidental, gloves, rag, or the like, but not often. That's it!  :salute:

Oh, and I don't carry a phone if I can in any way avoid it.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 02:44:52 PM by twiliter »

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 06:16:57 PM
Usually in my pocket. Only thing I have a sheath for is my Vic Hercules.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD