Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Right sized Skinth???

us Offline watson31

• New User
Right sized Skinth???
on: June 09, 2015, 06:22:30 PM
Hello Everyone, I've just recently discovered this forum and the world of EDC. Pretty cool stuff.

I am completely sold on buying a Skinth. I just cannot figure out the right size. I've got a Swisstool RS (not the Spirit), and I love the tool, but not the Vic sheath because I need to loop my belt through it. I want to get a Skinth with the metal belt-clip; much faster, easier on & off. So my question is.......Which Skinth Shield (M, L or XL) would be the smallest workable option to carry just the Swisstool??

I've scrolled through the pages & pages of Skinth load-outs, and folks are carrying tons of variations. But I'm not seeing anything definitive regarding my specific MT. I also reviewed load-outs on edcforum.com and same thing....Tons of variations, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I understand that Eric is basically a 1-man operation so the delivery time will be a while. I'm cool with that. But I want to be certain that I'm ordering the correct thing the first time. I'd hate to wait a month or 2 only to find that my MT won't fit.

Any insights would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
watson31

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Right sized Skinth???
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 10:53:21 PM
Welcome, I'd contact him directly.  He's a member here and goes by Metropolicity.  I think you may need 5 posts however so post away and then message him. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Henry

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 12:42:25 AM
Welcome, this is the same reason I joined after lurking for a while! An email would be perfect, but as you mentioned he is a busy man so still hasn't managed to reply to me when I emailed a couple of weeks ago.

If you're carry just the tool, Id be inclined to say an XL is too big. I'm deciding between a Skinth XL/mondo and Shield xl/2xl (really struggling to plan my exact load out) but I'm carrying flashlight, bit kits, second SAK Aswell as a Surge. I've looked at a lot of loadouts and these things look like a Tardis!
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

us Offline watson31

• New User
Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 01:56:54 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for the reply. I did try contacting Skinth directly thru the "contact" tab on their website, but no reply yet. But it's no big deal. I get the sense that it's literally Eric & his new bride running the entire show. So they've got to have their hands full.
I wasn't totally clear in what I meant about carrying "only" the Swisstool. I realize that all the Skinth Shields have multiple pockets. So I'm sure that over time I"ll "geek out" a bit & find other things to include. But my job doesn't require me to have a bunch of tools close at hand. I'm carrying by choice more than need. I've owned the Swisstool for a long time, but stopped carrying due to the Victorinox sheath and because I'd started a job where I didn't really need it too frequently. Now that I discovered Skinth with the stainless steel belt clips, I want to start carrying the tool again.
I do also want to maintain a low-profile for whatever I carry. And it sounds like the Skinth Shields are super-compact and really well designed. My hesitation isn't about the manufacturer. I just want to be sure that the Swisstool definitely fits into the main pocket of whatever I end up buying.

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 02:19:23 PM
Hello, this post is a bit old but thought I would reply in case you are still unsure of if someone else has the same question.  I have a Swisstool X which is the same size as your RS and a few different size Skinth Shields.  The L is too small with just the tool init the snaps will not close.  So the XL will be the smallest size you can go with that tool.  It's not very loose with just the tool init but you will have room to the front and sides for more goodies if you choose.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 12:28:43 PM
I don´t want to open a new thread, but am looking for a new home for my MP 600 - Do you maybe have one you can put into teh smallest Skinth that will accept it? Should be an XL-Shield AFAIK, my L-shield won´t work. I fear the XL might be too "roomy"

Thanks!

us Offline Jetbo

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 01:03:12 PM
The "Mut" Shield is the only one large enough for the Gerber MP600 Needle Nose.  The "XL" works well with the MP400 and looks like it should work for the MP600 Blunt Nose but since I don't currently have one I can't say I am 100% on that.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:10:47 PM by Jetbo »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD