Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New York Times: Knives are a Fashion Statement

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: New York Times: Knives are a Fashion Statement
Reply #90 on: June 13, 2015, 11:23:27 PM
Yuengling. :tu:

How about Schaefer?  It's "The beer to have when you're having more than one"......
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #91 on: June 13, 2015, 11:43:31 PM
Don't like Miller lite. 'Don't like' is the mild version, actually.

I'll drink a cold Corona with a wedge of lime with tacos by the beach. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Never had Mich ultra, but can drink regular Michelob. Although it's too pricey for what you get.

I like Guinness. Although it's like drinking a loaf of bread.

I think I've had Shiner Boch, but it doesn't stand out in my mind.

In the St. Louis area, we have an absolute TON of microbreweries (and a LONG tradition of beercrafting). If you throw a rock, you have a 50/50 chance of hitting a home brewer. I'd be among them. I've made 6 batches, all amber ales (mostly because ale takes less time to make, no lagering required).

As for derailing... no such thing.  :whistle:

EDIT: At a party, i will drink whatever the host provides. I think it's a weird 'good guest' unspoken rule I picked up somewhere. 'Never insult food or beer offered for free', I think would be the best way to put it.

:rofl:

Moose drool and Shiner are very similar to Guiness in how they go down.  Very thick.

I agree about Mich, it's too damned expensive!  I love it but I refuse to pay that much for a six pack when my favorite is at least a dollar or two cheaper everywhere you look, and it's just as good.  I'm a budget beer drinker.  I can't always justify spending a lot on beer, very rarely do I stray from Miller Lite.  When I do, I'm usually at a party or celebrating something.  Hell, I'll even drink Natural lite if I'm feeling the purse strings tighten a bit.  I'm almost ashamed to admit that...

American Lite beer is a big battlefield of people talking crap about the "other"guy.  When it all boils down, all Lite beer actually sucks.  I only drink it because it's the cheapest and lowest calorie, when I truly want to enjoy a fine beer I buy one of the three dark beers I mentioned, Shiner, Guinness, and Moose Drool. 

us Offline BASguy

Reply #92 on: June 14, 2015, 12:15:51 AM
Beer thread....awesome

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: June 14, 2015, 12:36:36 AM
PBR is my go to beer. You will find that and Honey Brown Lager in my fridge currently. PBR tastes better in a can though. When I go out, Yuengling or Rolling Rock is my go to beer. Rolling Rock has to be in a can or draft though. Tastes yucky in a bottle.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: June 15, 2015, 06:19:38 PM
Has anyone seen the original NYT article, not this guy's take on it. Nothing against any of the knives he mentions, except they are pricey (wouldn't be a fashion statement otherwise) and locked blades are illegal in a lot of places. As for needing a clip, I find they get in the way and a pocket works just fine.

I'm in total agrrement ColoSwiss!    :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: June 15, 2015, 06:48:22 PM
Don't like Miller lite. 'Don't like' is the mild version, actually.

I'll drink a cold Corona with a wedge of lime with tacos by the beach. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Never had Mich ultra, but can drink regular Michelob. Although it's too pricey for what you get.

I like Guinness. Although it's like drinking a loaf of bread.

I think I've had Shiner Boch, but it doesn't stand out in my mind.

In the St. Louis area, we have an absolute TON of microbreweries (and a LONG tradition of beercrafting). If you throw a rock, you have a 50/50 chance of hitting a home brewer. I'd be among them. I've made 6 batches, all amber ales (mostly because ale takes less time to make, no lagering required).

As for derailing... no such thing.  :whistle:

EDIT: At a party, i will drink whatever the host provides. I think it's a weird 'good guest' unspoken rule I picked up somewhere. 'Never insult food or beer offered for free', I think would be the best way to put it.

:rofl:

Moose drool and Shiner are very similar to Guiness in how they go down.  Very thick.

I agree about Mich, it's too damned expensive!  I love it but I refuse to pay that much for a six pack when my favorite is at least a dollar or two cheaper everywhere you look, and it's just as good.  I'm a budget beer drinker.  I can't always justify spending a lot on beer, very rarely do I stray from Miller Lite.  When I do, I'm usually at a party or celebrating something.  Hell, I'll even drink Natural lite if I'm feeling the purse strings tighten a bit.  I'm almost ashamed to admit that...

American Lite beer is a big battlefield of people talking crap about the "other"guy.  When it all boils down, all Lite beer actually sucks.  I only drink it because it's the cheapest and lowest calorie, when I truly want to enjoy a fine beer I buy one of the three dark beers I mentioned, Shiner, Guinness, and Moose Drool.

Agreed on Lite beers!  :tu:

Many, many years ago, after rounding the weather mark and getting the kite up during a race, we would all have a beer of the downwind leg.  Being the bowman, when the kite was up, somebody in the back of the boat tossed me a Lite beer...which I promptly threw overboard, then asked for a "beer".  Nobody ever handed me a Lite beer again.

It's all about personal preference, taste, and regional differences when it comes to beer.  Enjoy what you like...somebody will always have a different opinion.

:cheers:

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

gr Offline firiki

• Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #96 on: June 24, 2015, 11:04:00 AM
It seems like the guy is trying to bash the humble SAK in order to highlight how much better (and in his view, preferable) the high end, locking knives are. There are many things to reproach in his texts, I went through three of them. I'll just comment on the use of the word bullsmurf as an (non) argument.

As for beers, I'm not much into beer but I really enjoy all three Chimay offerings (prefer white and blue labels), Duvel and as of late Rochefort 10 if I can afford me a fancy one  :tu: :drink:
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #97 on: June 24, 2015, 12:24:01 PM
duct tape and a fixed blade

Sounds like a rape kit.  :o

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #98 on: June 24, 2015, 12:29:10 PM
duct tape and a fixed blade

Sounds like a rape kit:o

Now, that's a fashion statement!

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #99 on: July 02, 2015, 05:16:13 AM
I think SAKs are MUCH more practical than OHO tactical folders.

What kind of slicing are these tactical guys doing that they're worried the knife will fold on them?

Aside from fighting, I can't think of anything. It's much more useful to have a couple screwdrivers and a scissors.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #100 on: July 02, 2015, 07:39:40 AM
I think SAKs are MUCH more practical than OHO tactical folders.

What kind of slicing are these tactical guys doing that they're worried the knife will fold on them?

Aside from fighting, I can't think of anything. It's much more useful to have a couple screwdrivers and a scissors.
Its the combination of design and your grip.
E.g. I recently gave a Spyderco Squeak a test run, with my thumb forward grip the blade always started to close (way too weak backspring, combined with a comfortable thumb-rest on the blade). So, I felt not so comfortable with it (think what happens if I apply pressure, slip off of whatever I try to cut?).

There are many knifes I have this problem with (not with SAKs though), as I like to have the thumb or the pointer on the blade. It is because of this I like locking blades.

SAKs are more capable / versatile than a folder, I agree but they also weight more and lack OHO (111mm are just not for my pockets).
At work I mostly use a blade rarely a PH1 and almost never toothpick, nailfile, T6, T8, T10, T15. I'm also glued to the desk and have stashed tools everywhere, so I often only carry a folder (the OHO out-weights the absence of the other tools).
Evenings and Weekends its mostly a Soldier for me.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #101 on: July 02, 2015, 03:27:50 PM
Its the combination of design and your grip.
E.g. I recently gave a Spyderco Squeak a test run, with my thumb forward grip the blade always started to close (way too weak backspring, combined with a comfortable thumb-rest on the blade). So, I felt not so comfortable with it (think what happens if I apply pressure, slip off of whatever I try to cut?).

There are many knifes I have this problem with (not with SAKs though), as I like to have the thumb or the pointer on the blade. It is because of this I like locking blades.

That's a good point. I didn't consider it, because I only find myself wanting to put my thumb on the back of the blade if I'm doing some heavy-duty cutting. Which is almost never.

I have a few colleagues who carry OHO folders clipped inside a pocket. Probably for that very reason. We have tools everywhere.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

00 Offline av8r1

Reply #102 on: July 03, 2015, 02:00:22 AM
Quote from: moron
Having a knife blade fold onto your hand while applying pressure to it is bad. It will cause injury and it may even cause you serious trouble.

Oh no, not serious trouble!  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh
My EDC:
Leatherman Skeletool   Led Lenser P3 AFS P
Leatherman Style CS    "Fauxton"
Sharpie Twin Tip           Bic Mini

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99