Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smaller knife = less scary???

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Smaller knife = less scary???
on: June 10, 2015, 11:19:08 PM
This has come up before and the conversation can get a bit heated sometimes, but I am genuinely trying to understand the mind set of the opposing thought on this.

What I am referring to is people carrying smaller knives ONLY because they do not want to "frighten" anyone when using their knife in public. Not to be compliant with any law or because they prefer a smaller blade, but only to appease other people.

If that's what you want to do then fine. I have no interest in arguing about it, but I really would love to know your mind set behind it. If your blade is within the legal limit (if one applies) and you are using it for a legitimate task then why do you give a smurf what anyone thinks of your blade?

I'm not trying to stir anything up or be a smurf. I just cannot understand why anyone would willingly do this just to please others. Thanks everyone.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: Smaller knife = less scary???
Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 11:23:06 PM
Carrying a smaller blade is probably pointless because security will disarm you of it no matter what the size. You really might as well carry the biggest nastiest folder you can get your hands on. If the cops wanna ruin your day they're going to arrest you anyway.

Now, that's not to diss carrying small and light because you feel like it. There's nothing wrong with leaving the house with only a Classic, Rambler or Micra but make sure you won't be wishing you'd brought something larger.
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 11:24:51 PM
Carrying a smaller blade is probably pointless because security will disarm you of it no matter what the size. You really might as well carry the biggest nastiest folder you can get your hands on. If the cops wanna ruin your day they're going to arrest you anyway.

Now, that's not to diss carrying small and light because you feel like it. There's nothing wrong with leaving the house with only a Classic, Rambler or Micra but make sure you won't be wishing you'd brought something larger.

I'm not talking about Security or Police. If I am within the law then I have no concern of either. I am speaking about just the average Joe schmo on the street or the people you work with that will see you using your blade.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:27:12 PM

I'm not talking about Security or Police. If I am within the law then I have no concern of either. I am speaking about just the average Joe schmo on the street or the people you work with that will see you using your blade.
It's hard for me to answer because people aren't so freakish of knives here in florida. I've whipped out my buck 110 in stores to cut things and not gotten any reaction. So I'd say it depends on where you are located.
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:29:01 PM

It's hard for me to answer because people aren't so freakish of knives here in florida. I've whipped out my buck 110 in stores to cut things and not gotten any reaction. So I'd say it depends on where you are located.

Very good point.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:06 PM
That's not to say everyone is such a sport however. I've had crazy reactions from people back in my railroad days when I carried a BM auto Mel Pardue. Then we get into the M/F aspect though and non offense to the fine women of this forum but most women are sheeple IMHO...
SAW

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:34:34 PM
That's not to say everyone is such a sport however. I've had crazy reactions from people back in my railroad days when I carried a BM auto Mel Pardue. Then we get into the M/F aspect though and non offense to the fine women of this forum but most women are sheeple IMHO...

Your on your own on that one. I don't want to upset our lovely, beautiful, understanding female members.   :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 11:37:19 PM
I'm not trying to stir anything up or be a smurf. I just cannot understand why anyone would willingly do this just to please others. Thanks everyone.

I am 100% on board with you, El Capitan.  But I think that those who carry small knives to appease others do so out of a sense of group think.  Its like "planking" or "the ice bucket challenge".  People largely do it for no real reason except that everyone else is doing it.  There are many things in the news, which I won't mention here, where you also see people jumping on board merely because everyone else is doing it.  There is an element of pain avoidance there too.  If you go with the flow, and carry a small knife at work for example, the unhappy fat lady in the next cubicle won't report you to the boss for carrying a "weapon".  So there is some pragmatism there too.

I think it takes courage and self-assurance to carry a big, scary looking (legal) knife around fraidy cats.  You have to be willing to accept their wide eyes and derision and panicked expressions.  Not everyone has that level of self-assurance, and not everyone is willing to stand up to the fat lady in the next cubicle. 

us Offline sawman

Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 11:37:32 PM
 :angel:
SAW

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 11:48:39 PM
There's no easy way into this,and I apologise,because this is likely to stomp on your toes. It's not ment personally.

If your in a position,socially,where you do what you want without fear or concern for consequences,I'm very pleased for you. Where I live,there are,rightly or wrongly,social norms. By owning and carrying a knife,and by owning air guns,and actively being involved with shooting live ammo,I'm flouting the modern,British social convention. Go too far in that flouting,you will be marginalised(oh how I hate that word). As much as I'm a fairly solitary person,I still belong to the society. In the end of the day,I am a social animal,and there are dictates of the pack to which I must conform.

I'm not going to pass judgement on American laws,or beliefs regarding knives or guns because,although we share a language,we belong to different cultures,and different belief systems.

I work in a toy shop,where,everyday there are young children,and over protective parents. To carry a big knife would simply not be appropriate.

When I'm out on shooting comps,I carry a 108mm Vic(yes,not that big,I know) but no-one bats an eyelid. It's appropriate to the place.

In most urban,social situations,the big knife just isn't appropriate. In most circumstances it isn't nessesary. To carry one is making either a fashion statement,or trying to project an image.

Even when I lived in SA(Port Elizabeth and Uitenhage for our SA members) I rarely seen anything bigger than a SAK,or say a Buck 110 as a biltong knife. On the farm,or in the bush it was different. Folks living in the townships would have had a different perspective though.

I'm afraid that this is a subject no amount of discussing will help,as it's a matter of culture and belief rather than anything else.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 11:50:45 PM
And having said my peace as a member I need to do my duty as a mod

:police: Let's keep this one civil ladies and gents :salute:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 12:11:09 AM
I'm of the mindset its not so much do I carry a large knife or small one, it's more along the lines of "right tool for the job".  When I worked as a chef I was told I'd need the largest Chef knife I could afford.  I went out and got a 8 inch one and when I got into my first real kitchen the other chefs looked at me like I had a toy.  While I was in culinary school I had a really cheap 8 inch knife that I dare not call a chef's knife. 

I was familiar with that particular size so when I went shopping it's what I gravitated towards.  Now when I was side by side with the other chefs prepping, they with their 10,12 inch knives and me with my 8 inch chefs knife I cut circles around them.

To me it's about as simple as that.  It's what feels good to you and what you can do with what knife you are comfortable with. 

Now to the topic, I belive when you live amongst others decorum is needed.  We dont fart or belch just because we can.  We are mindful of our fellow planet inhabitants aren't we?  I am lucky in that my clients care only about me getting the job done.  I have worn fixed blades and neck knives without them giving a hoot. 

I am legally allowed to wear them in most public settings tho I don't.  I can get by with what I have in my pocket just as well.  When I hike I always have a fixed blade on me.

It's like a guy I knew, he had a serious tattoo on his neck.  He would get all riled up when he got stares and so over time he behaved erratic when it happened.  I was always confused why he thought the tattoo would go unnoticed or when people reacted odd to it. 

I also had a friend who was very large and very scary looking.  He was 6'6 300lbs and had a snarl on his face something awful.  He was the nicest guy you would ever know but upon appearances he was frightening.  He knew most people felt threatened by his appearance so he made it his objective to always smile. 

Some people don't want to give a smurf while others choose to.  Is there a right or wrong?  I have always said "Do what you want" but don't be a smurf when someone reacts to you.   

« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:14:05 AM by Aloha007 »
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 12:11:44 AM

I am 100% on board with you, El Capitan.  But I think that those who carry small knives to appease others do so out of a sense of group think.  Its like "planking" or "the ice bucket challenge".  People largely do it for no real reason except that everyone else is doing it.  There are many things in the news, which I won't mention here, where you also see people jumping on board merely because everyone else is doing it.  There is an element of pain avoidance there too.  If you go with the flow, and carry a small knife at work for example, the unhappy fat lady in the next cubicle won't report you to the boss for carrying a "weapon".  So there is some pragmatism there too.

I think it takes courage and self-assurance to carry a big, scary looking (legal) knife around fraidy cats.  You have to be willing to accept their wide eyes and derision and panicked expressions.  Not everyone has that level of self-assurance, and not everyone is willing to stand up to the fat lady in the next cubicle.

100% agree.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 12:19:02 AM
There's no easy way into this,and I apologise,because this is likely to stomp on your toes. It's not ment personally.

If your in a position,socially,where you do what you want without fear or concern for consequences,I'm very pleased for you. Where I live,there are,rightly or wrongly,social norms. By owning and carrying a knife,and by owning air guns,and actively being involved with shooting live ammo,I'm flouting the modern,British social convention. Go too far in that flouting,you will be marginalised(oh how I hate that word). As much as I'm a fairly solitary person,I still belong to the society. In the end of the day,I am a social animal,and there are dictates of the pack to which I must conform.

I'm not going to pass judgement on American laws,or beliefs regarding knives or guns because,although we share a language,we belong to different cultures,and different belief systems.

I work in a toy shop,where,everyday there are young children,and over protective parents. To carry a big knife would simply not be appropriate.

When I'm out on shooting comps,I carry a 108mm Vic(yes,not that big,I know) but no-one bats an eyelid. It's appropriate to the place.

In most urban,social situations,the big knife just isn't appropriate. In most circumstances it isn't nessesary. To carry one is making either a fashion statement,or trying to project an image.

Even when I lived in SA(Port Elizabeth and Uitenhage for our SA members) I rarely seen anything bigger than a SAK,or say a Buck 110 as a biltong knife. On the farm,or in the bush it was different. Folks living in the townships would have had a different perspective though.

I'm afraid that this is a subject no amount of discussing will help,as it's a matter of culture and belief rather than anything else.

Completely agree that living in completely different countries has a huge part to do with it.

I do not agree as to you carrying a larger knife not being appropriate at your work. Again, as long as you are using the knife for its intended purpose why do you feel it is inappropriate? Because you are around children? If so I would not agree.

Carrying a larger knife in urban or social situations being only for a fashion statement or to project a image is something I definitely do not agree with. I guess this might pertain to some, but not myself personally. Its not like I am trying to show anyone my knife.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong and again this is all just a matter of opinion. I agree to disagree with the utmost respect.  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:24:39 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 12:23:47 AM
I'm of the mindset its not so much do I carry a large knife or small one, it's more along the lines of "right tool for the job".  When I worked as a chef I was told I'd need the largest Chef knife I could afford.  I went out and got a 8 inch one and when I got into my first real kitchen the other chefs looked at me like I had a toy.  While I was in culinary school I had a really cheap 8 inch knife that I dare not call a chef's knife. 

I was familiar with that particular size so when I went shopping it's what I gravitated towards.  Now when I was side by side with the other chefs prepping, they with their 10,12 inch knives and me with my 8 inch chefs knife I cut circles around them.

To me it's about as simple as that.  It's what feels good to you and what you can do with what knife you are comfortable with. 

Now to the topic, I belive when you live amongst others decorum is needed.  We dont fart or belch just because we can.  We are mindful of our fellow planet inhabitants aren't we?  I am lucky in that my clients care only about me getting the job done.  I have worn fixed blades and neck knives without them giving a hoot. 

I am legally allowed to wear them in most public settings tho I don't.  I can get by with what I have in my pocket just as well.  When I hike I always have a fixed blade on me.

It's like a guy I knew, he had a serious tattoo on his neck.  He would get all riled up when he got stares and so over time he behaved erratic when it happened.  I was always confused why he thought the tattoo would go unnoticed or when people reacted odd to it. 

I also had a friend who was very large and very scary looking.  He was 6'6 300lbs and had a snarl on his face something awful.  He was the nicest guy you would ever know but upon appearances he was frightening.  He knew most people felt threatened by his appearance so he made it his objective to always smile. 

Some people don't want to give a smurf while others choose to.  Is there a right or wrong?  I have always said "Do what you want" but don't be a smurf when someone reacts to you.   

Good point about farting or belching in public. It did make me think a bit, but we do not do those things in public solely to make other comfortable, but to keep yourself from embarrassment. I am in no way embarrassed in carrying a larger knife and/or using it in public so it does not translate for me.

I could care less about peoples reactions. If they have a problem with the size of my knife then that is their problem not mine. Does not bug me if someone gives me a look.  :shrug:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:25:00 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 12:26:12 AM
To coin a phrase, size is not everything.

I have some good friends who are not knife carrying individuals, but are very used to me carrying knives. One day I went hiking with them, and got a very strong "oh, that looks naughty" reaction to my Buck Hartsook.

Depending on your location, and prevailing cultural trends in that location, depends on what knives would be considered socially acceptable. I know my stag handled Muela folder would raise more eyebrows than my similarly sized Nieto Manolina, which I would consider to be one of the more universally acceptable knives.

If I am using a knife where it may be viewed by others who do not know me, and may be concerned as to my intentions with a knife, I am very careful as to which knife I choose based on the likely perception as to whether it is a utility pocket tool or a weapon. I have a perfectly UK legal Boker Plus XS, and wouldn't consider that knife to be public friendly, whereas the locking blade on a MP700 looks more socially acceptable.

I have openly sheath carried a fixed blade knife on my hip, and walked past a court house with it, and nobody batted an eyelid. I was also carrying a lock windlass and was penning boats through at the time.

Awareness of what message you might be giving to other members of the public is not just wise to avoid unnecessary confrontation and questioning, in my opinion it is also common courtesy to your fellow man. In a society where knife carry and usage is neither common nor overt, I feel no need to flaunt my legal right and cause potential discomfort for others who don't know if I'm a potential hazard or not

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 12:26:38 AM
Just to be clear. Any responses I give are not to be taken as a attack or anything of the sort. I respect everyone's opinion and am not saying anyone is right or wrong. These are just our individual opinions and I am trying to understand and see if I can find something to really make me connect with the mind set of the opposing opinion.
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 12:30:48 AM

I have some good friends who are not knife carrying individuals, but are very used to me carrying knives. One day I went hiking with them, and got a very strong "oh, that looks naughty" reaction to my Buck Hartsook.

Depending on your location, and prevailing cultural trends in that location, depends on what knives would be considered socially acceptable. I know my stag handled Muela folder would raise more eyebrows than my similarly sized Nieto Manolina, which I would consider to be one of the more universally acceptable knives.

If I am using a knife where it may be viewed by others who do not know me, and may be concerned as to my intentions with a knife, I am very careful as to which knife I choose based on the likely perception as to whether it is a utility pocket tool or a weapon. I have a perfectly UK legal Boker Plus XS, and wouldn't consider that knife to be public friendly, whereas the locking blade on a MP700 looks more socially acceptable.

I have openly sheath carried a fixed blade knife on my hip, and walked past a court house with it, and nobody batted an eyelid. I was also carrying a lock windlass and was penning boats through at the time.

Awareness of what message you might be giving to other members of the public is not just wise to avoid unnecessary confrontation and questioning, in my opinion it is also common courtesy to your fellow man. In a society where knife carry and usage is neither common nor overt, I feel no need to flaunt my legal right and cause potential discomfort for others who don't know if I'm a potential hazard or not

These two sentences are conflicting for me then.  :think:

I am not understanding how carrying a larger folder which will only be seen briefly when in use is considered openly flaunting my legal right?

When I say large folder I am generalizing it to be roughly Spyderco Endura size.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 12:31:57 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 12:32:32 AM

Completely agree that living in completely different countries has a huge part to do with it.

I do not agree as to you carrying a larger knife not being appropriate at your work. Again, as long as you are using the knife for its intended purpose why do you feel it is inappropriate? Because you are around children? If so I would not agree.

Carrying a larger knife in urban or social situations being only for a fashion statement or to project a image is something I definitely do not agree with. Its not like I am trying to show anyone my knife.

I am not saying anyone is right or wrong and again this is all just a matter of opinion. I agree to disagree with the utmost respect.  :salute:

Cap,I thank you sincerely for the respect shown. I doubt,largely,we'll ever find too much common ground here,but,that's fine. We both agree these are opinions and beliefs :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 12:33:21 AM
I live in a military city so seeing large folders is not a big deal.  I did see a guy with a shoulder holster that admittedly threw me off.  I see a lot of guys at the fleamarket with all kinds of tools on their belts.

Ok off topic but since I did mention it  :facepalm:
I was in an elevator making a delivery on several floors.  I had many boxes so I stacked them near the front.  When I got to the floor I picked up the package then out I went to make the delivery for that floor.  When I was on my last box headed down ( I worked my way from the top floor to bottom ) the elevator was pretty full but I kept the box on the floor since it was heavy.  I was in front along with my package and when the door opened on the 2nd floor I bent over to pick up the box and poooooooooot  :facepalm: OMG.  I got my package as quickly left the elevator as the doors with the air I expelled. I took the stairs after I made my delivery. 
Esse Quam Videri

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 12:35:33 AM
I live in a military city so seeing large folders is not a big deal.  I did see a guy with a shoulder holster that admittedly threw me off.  I see a lot of guys at the fleamarket with all kinds of tools on their belts.

Ok off topic but since I did mention it  :facepalm:
I was in an elevator making a delivery on several floors.  I had many boxes so I stacked them near the front.  When I got to the floor I picked up the package then out I went to make the delivery for that floor.  When I was on my last box headed down ( I worked my way from the top floor to bottom ) the elevator was pretty full but I kept the box on the floor since it was heavy.  I was in front along with my package and when the door opened on the 2nd floor I bent over to pick up the box and poooooooooot  :facepalm: OMG.  I got my package as quickly left the elevator as the doors with the air I expelled. I took the stairs after I made my delivery.

Incredibly embarrassing story buddy.  :rofl:
I'm the milk man!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: June 11, 2015, 12:36:32 AM

Carrying a larger knife in urban or social situations being only for a fashion statement or to project a image is something I definitely do not agree with. Its not like I am trying to show anyone my knife.

Cap,I thank you sincerely for the respect shown. I doubt,largely,we'll ever find too much common ground here,but,that's fine. We both agree these are opinions and beliefs :salute:

Agreed.  :salute:
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #22 on: June 11, 2015, 12:51:17 AM

I am not understanding how carrying a larger folder which will only be seen briefly when in use is considered openly flaunting my legal right?

When I say large folder I am generalizing it to be roughly Spyderco Endura size.
I think we've confused each other here :think:

I carried a fixed blade sheath knife in a marine setting. Despite the location being in a town centre, the activity justified it. Someone walking through a shopping centre with a chainsaw might get sphincters twitching, but outside the shopping centre removing branches overhanging the car park, no questions asked.

As to when there is no obvious need for anything more "scary" to the uninitiated than a 91mm SAK, stay with that or something similarly "urban" (according to local variations). A Boker Plus XS is a sub 3" slippy (UK Legal) but is likely to appear more "aggressive" than some other less legal knives.

Those who are likely to take exception to your carry, are likely not going to know what is legal and what is not. In a public setting a traditional slippy or mid sized SAK in the hands of a 40 year old isn't going to start a stampede. Neither is a larger bladed item in the appropriate setting. Eating an apple with a Spydie Paramilitary whilst sat on a park bench is gonna make many folks over here think you're a nutter that's about to go pop

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: June 11, 2015, 12:59:19 AM

I think we've confused each other here :think:

I carried a fixed blade sheath knife in a marine setting. Despite the location being in a town centre, the activity justified it. Someone walking through a shopping centre with a chainsaw might get sphincters twitching, but outside the shopping centre removing branches overhanging the car park, no questions asked.

As to when there is no obvious need for anything more "scary" to the uninitiated than a 91mm SAK, stay with that or something similarly "urban" (according to local variations). A Boker Plus XS is a sub 3" slippy (UK Legal) but is likely to appear more "aggressive" than some other less legal knives.

Those who are likely to take exception to your carry, are likely not going to know what is legal and what is not. In a public setting a traditional slippy or mid sized SAK in the hands of a 40 year old isn't going to start a stampede. Neither is a larger bladed item in the appropriate setting. Eating an apple with a Spydie Paramilitary whilst sat on a park bench is gonna make many folks over here think you're a nutter that's about to go pop

This just reinforces the conclusion that the country and general location you are in seems to be a very determining factor in this. I guess it is opinion about what is really overkill as well. If I saw a guy eating a apple with a PM2 I would not think it was overkill at all. To be honest depending on the size of the apple the PM2's cutting edge is pretty ideal for such a task. If I saw a guy eating a apple with a machete I would think something is wrong.  :ahhh :D
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #24 on: June 11, 2015, 01:37:05 AM
...If I saw a guy eating a apple with a machete I would think something is wrong.  :ahhh :D
I've seen that, and didn't think anything of it.  But, it was during an off-road trip. :D

I can carry basically anything knife wise, except an auto or balisong.  I usually have a folder and SAK on me, and most times, the small blade on the SAK will do the job, so that's what I'll use.  I've used big folders in public settings, and no one either noticed, or seemed to care.

Certain places (toy shops, daycare, ect) I'd use a SAK, and preferably the scissors if possible.

I live in a more rural area, and it's pretty common to see guys with knives on their belts.  Out here, no one really cares.  During hunting season, you'll see guys in full camo, with machetes, fixed blades, ect walking around the stores, and no one bats an eye.  I've seen them in town as well, but it's only the very odd time.

I think we should be able to use what we want, and when we want to.  BUT, I also think we should be respectful of situations where it might cause others worry.  No need to scare/freak people out just because legally we can.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #25 on: June 11, 2015, 01:56:23 AM
I think we should be able to use what we want, and when we want to.  BUT, I also think we should be respectful of situations where it might cause others worry.  No need to scare/freak people out just because legally we can.
That's something to seriously consider.  If too many people get scared too often then they might start agitating to change the existing laws so you can no longer legally carry certain classes of "scary" knives in public.  Look at what happened to what is allowed or banned on commercial flights as an (extreme) example.  If politicians see votes in something they are likely to react.  It doesn't matter if it is logical or sensible or even practical, they might do it.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 11, 2015, 04:25:57 AM
With me, it's really just to keep from being bothered by other people. And I don't really downsize, just go for a bit more subdued. I don't like bringing unneeded attention to myself, especially from the types of people who will complain and say things about someone for having a blade on them. It's not that I care what people think, it's that I don't want to have to deal with them telling me what they think.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 07:26:30 AM
YES!
I saw some people freak out at my Classic, calling it a "white weapon".
People usually twitch at the Tinker and shake their heads...
For a Tenacious almost everybody just steps back and I got two threats on calling the cops to take it away (and I'm not waving it around)

Might have to get a smaller knife, friendlier knife for edc... Kershaw Rainbow or Dragonfly or something  :-\

Luckily I'm a 30-ish, suit-wearing white male with no police record so I doubt I'll have any problems, but still "meh".

PS: I was watching this this morning
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC0vUULOLq0
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 07:51:52 AM
Apart from the knife (blade) size and the environment and people, depends on the blade shape (agressive or serrations), mechanism (one hand opening or automatic) and color! (bright colors are seen like toys or friendly) and it has to be proportional to the task (the machete and the apple).
SAKs knives are looked more indulgently (swiss cross effect :D) and integrated knives like the one on multitools even more, but if when are deployed are not too agressive (better a Vic Spirit than a Skeletool)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 07:55:11 AM by alexTOOL »

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 08:10:58 AM
Yep, ,somenoe waving a scalpel in front of your face is far less scary..

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%