Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tips for keeping cell phone vertical in pocket?

us Offline tommywp

Tips for keeping cell phone vertical in pocket?
on: June 11, 2015, 08:19:23 PM
I don't like anything on my belt and pocket carry everything. Anyone have any tips for keeping a cell phone vertical in a front pants pocket? I've figured out how to keep keys and SAK/skeletool in place, but my phone sits solo in my front pocket and is constantly slipping in to the uncomfortable horizontal position.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: Tips for keeping cell phone vertical in pocket?
Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 08:30:26 PM
Only thing I can think of is doing what I did for my Swisstool. Just sew a seam in your pocket running vertical to make two separate pockets. Your phone will slip right in and have its own pocket and depending on size you can carry something in the other pocket beside it. Everything stays vertical and in place.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 08:37:07 PM
What about using a nite ize pocket clip?

What phone and What case?

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: June 11, 2015, 08:38:31 PM

This is also a very good option.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 08:39:32 PM
Either the pocket clip, or depending on the case; once could use a pocket dangler that hold the corner of the phone up.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 08:40:25 PM
Get a fabric bag the size of the phone. Put phone in bag. Put bag in pocket. The bag will have high friction against the insides of the pocket, thus keeping everything in place. I have used this method successfully with SAKs big enough they would be uncomfortably if lying horizontally.

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 10:06:51 AM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't put my phone there in case it has anything to do with testicular cancer.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 05:53:37 PM

That is exactly what those clips are designed for.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 06:59:59 PM
I don't know if it's true or not, but I don't put my phone there in case it has anything to do with testicular cancer.

To be honest it is a valid concern as well as lowering your sperm count. I have heard many stories of women getting breast cancer in the exact spot they keep their cell phone in their bra.
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 07:21:15 PM

To be honest it is a valid concern as well as lowering your sperm count. I have heard many stories of women getting breast cancer in the exact spot they keep their cell phone in their bra.

Way back in university, the group I studied in had people involved in the biggest investigation of the health risks of mobile phones at that time. It could show no clear link between brain tumors and cell phones. What it could show, was holding the phone on the left side of the head, decreases the risk of tumors on the right side of the head. Why? Because this was a study where people reported themselves, and those actually having tumors had a tendency to create a narrative. As I said, the study could not show use of a cell phone increasing the risk of cancer. I suspect it's the same thing with these breast cancer cases, people want the world to make sense.

I think WHO now groups cell phones are currently in the same category as coffee. (Vague recollection from reading news...) It might cause cancer, but any risk is hard to pinpoint. I drink coffee and make sure the antenna part of my cell phone is directed away from my body when carrying it. ;) Also, you can use the loudspeaker (if it has one) or a handsfree when talking. I mostly go to an empty room and use the conference mode partly for comfort, partly to avoid exposure in a very simple way without disadvantages.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 07:22:46 PM by Steinar »

us Offline tommywp

Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 09:39:13 PM
Thanks guys. Some very good ideas. Going to try the fabric bag...might even try to sew something up to get it just right.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 05:09:48 AM
Clip a knife to the same pocket and it'll keep your phone upright.  :D

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #12 on: June 16, 2015, 11:37:48 PM
I like Capt Spauldings idea. I have sewn seams in front pockets and cargo pockets to hold knivesand my phone. Though I carry only a small flip phone.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline tommywp

Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 03:03:17 PM
Tried the fabric bag. Worked well in jeans but didn't keep the phone upright in slacks. I think the pockets are bigger/looser. Greta idea though.

Might pull the trigger and sew the pocket seams

Capt/Nmpops - any tips on how high the seam should go for easy retrieval of the phone....half way up, the full height of the phone, taller than the phone? Want to do it right once.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:18:11 PM by tommywp »

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 04:30:25 PM
Tried the fabric bag. Worked well in jeans but didn't keep the phone upright in slacks. I think the pockets are bigger/looser. Greta idea though.

Might pull the trigger and sew the pocket seams

Capt/Nmpops - any tips on how high the seam should go for easy retrieval of the phone....half way up, the full height of the phone, taller than the phone? Want to do it right once.

I found that if you go to high pertaining to the height of the pocket you will not be able to easily get your hand in your pocket or retrieve what you want. I would go 1/2 - 3/4 the height of the phone and put the pants on to check if it is satisfactory before tying off the knot. If you need a little more then sew a but more and check again.  :tu:
I'm the milk man!

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 06:46:36 PM
I always like reading how the different ideas worked for people, thanks tommywp.  :tu:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 12:54:18 PM
Way back in university, the group I studied in had people involved in the biggest investigation of the health risks of mobile phones at that time. It could show no clear link between brain tumors and cell phones.

I think WHO now groups cell phones are currently in the same category as coffee. (Vague recollection from reading news...) It might cause cancer, but any risk is hard to pinpoint. I drink coffee and make sure the antenna part of my cell phone is directed away from my body when carrying it. ;) Also, you can use the loudspeaker (if it has one) or a handsfree when talking. I mostly go to an empty room and use the conference mode partly for comfort, partly to avoid exposure in a very simple way without disadvantages.

I have heard a recommendation that you have the handset no closer than 1cm to your head.

Offline Tixx

Reply #17 on: September 26, 2015, 06:58:23 PM
My s4 tends to stay vertical on its own since it is so large.  I do minimize pocket time for potential health reasons.  Cigarettes were once a cure...takes time before the truth comes out.

us Offline SAKnight

• 5.0 HO
Reply #18 on: September 26, 2015, 09:38:32 PM
Just fwiw, I googled if cell phones use microwaves (thought I'd remembered something along those lines), and first answer supplied by google, without even clicking a link:

Cell phones operate with radio frequencies, a form of electromagnetic energy located on the electromagnetic spectrum between FM radio waves and the waves used in microwave ovens, radar, and satellite stations. Cell phones do not emit ionizing radiation, the type that damages DNA.

Now obviously, we haven't had enough time with enough people using them to know for sure, but plenty of the people I know that worry about cell phones also "bah!" At sunscreen, and UV rays are guaranteed to be far, far more harmful. Live your lives, do not fear your phone  ;)

us Offline sLaughterMed

• No Life Club
  • Nothing's typical around here
Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 06:03:33 AM
Just fwiw, I googled if cell phones use microwaves (thought I'd remembered something along those lines), and first answer supplied by google, without even clicking a link:

Cell phones operate with radio frequencies, a form of electromagnetic energy located on the electromagnetic spectrum between FM radio waves and the waves used in microwave ovens, radar, and satellite stations. Cell phones do not emit ionizing radiation, the type that damages DNA.

Now obviously, we haven't had enough time with enough people using them to know for sure, but plenty of the people I know that worry about cell phones also "bah!" At sunscreen, and UV rays are guaranteed to be far, far more harmful. Live your lives, do not fear your phone  ;)
Dont forget that radio waves are transmitted everywhere, constantly, and have been for a very long time with no apparent ill effects
Laughter is the best Medicine
Slaughter is just Laughter with an "S"

We are looking for Multitool Encyclopedia Editors! If you are interested, please give me a PM!

The Multitool Encyclopedia Editing for Dummies Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65751.0.html
Multitool Encyclopedia Suggested Edits Page: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,65746.0.html

us Offline tommywp

Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 03:06:13 PM
In regards to the original topic, I've found that keys on a suspension clip and cell phone in the same pocket might be the answer for me.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,62074.msg1155192.html#msg1155192

It's one of those cases where more stuff in the pocket  helps keep everything in its place, which I find more comfortable (like putting a thin pocketknife in a back pocket alongside a wallet/handkerchief). I have a very trimmed down keychain and the only thing touching the phone is the plastic car fob...I'm not sure this would work as well for bigger key chains.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 04:11:54 AM
Smaller pockets or a bigger phone?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 02:31:25 AM
I for one am sending all my pants to Cappy for sewing. He said he would do it for free for all of us.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%