Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Keychain Scissor Comparison, Part 1

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Gerber Keychain Scissor Comparison, Part 1
on: June 15, 2015, 08:49:21 PM
I've read a few different (older) threads regarding the Gerber Shortcut, Splice, and Mini-Suspension S and decided to add my two cents.

First I have to state that I have a decided preference to the Shortcut.  One has been in my EDC rotation for over 10yrs.  And have actually looked for these on auction sites, cleaned them up, and keep a few extras around.  It's heartier (more versatile) than the Classic I carried during my dress-up work days.  Now that work dress is much more casual, I can carry my Cadet, or modified Golfer, or small Tinker, or Apprentice mod.

As Gerber quit production of the Shortcut, I have procured a few Suspension-S tools in other auctions and a Splice (new).

The Splice just doesn't feel right to me.  It has sharp edges and I don't find the blade length or tools conducive to comfortable use.  It's not something that's comfortable for regular carry or use and I find I miss the fingernail file blade (does a tool this size really need a plain edge and a serrated blade?)

The Suspension-S is almost identical to the Shortcut...exact same tools and almost identical size, it's comfortable to handle and use.  It has the same functionality as the Shortcut, but the added ounce of weight is really noticeable; so up to this point, I haven't traveled with this in my pocket.     

I have owned LM Micra's (all given away because I don't like having to open the scissors to get to the basic tools) and Squirts (now stashed in different vehicles or emergency packets), but don't care for them for my EDC.

• Shortcut:             2.4oz    1.77" blade    2.56" closed length
  • Mini-Suspension:  3.4oz    1.77" blade    2.56" closed length
  • Splice:                2.5oz    1.50" blade    2.40" closed length
Shortcut Compare_1.jpg
* Shortcut Compare_1.jpg (Filesize: 101.29 KB)
Shortcut Compar03.jpg
* Shortcut Compar03.jpg (Filesize: 91.69 KB)
Shortcut Compar05.jpg
* Shortcut Compar05.jpg (Filesize: 94.07 KB)
Shortcut Compar17.jpg
* Shortcut Compar17.jpg (Filesize: 93.13 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Re: Gerber Keychain Scissor Comparison, Part 2
Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 08:51:34 PM
A few more pictures...
Shortcut Compar12.jpg
* Shortcut Compar12.jpg (Filesize: 84.51 KB)
Shortcut Compar08.jpg
* Shortcut Compar08.jpg (Filesize: 87.46 KB)
Shortcut Compar20.jpg
* Shortcut Compar20.jpg (Filesize: 105.75 KB)
Shortcut Compar15.jpg
* Shortcut Compar15.jpg (Filesize: 109.36 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%