Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maybe it's time for Alox to evolve

tosh · 58 · 3788

us Offline BerkshireHunter

Re: Maybe it's time for Alox to evolve
Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 01:31:43 AM
I personally don't like the feel of the alox textured handles. Add to that the limited main tools, lack of back tools, lack of scale tools, and finish (colour) that falls off just by looking at it, and I really don't see the appeal. That said, I do like my alox rambler, but don't carry it much.

The one good thing about the alox line up is the awl

Time to evolve? Maybe, but if they're going to coax me to buy them, there needs to be significant change, not just slapping scissors in them

What is all this talk about the color coming off so easy?  :shrug:

Am I missing something here.
Well, they really should do a type III hard annodization, the flashlight companies all seem to be capable of it. They could also switch up the tools, maybe add a back layer on the 93's -I am pumped that they claim scissors are coming. Also, they should look at what Syph has done with the 91mm 'grenade' pattern scales, that would be awesome. In short, just hard annodize them and they'd be perfect. Superior to plastic scales. 8)

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 05:44:37 AM
The beauty of plastic scales is that they are so easily replacable. 

:pok:And they can hold a pen and a pin

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 06:19:36 AM
They should offer option for customer to order customized SAK.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 07:26:30 AM
I keep saying it but nobody listens... if you do not like the faded alox look, get a silver one. Since the anodised layer is the same colour as the aluminium underneath they just look new, irrespective of any scratches.

I have a couple that see regular use and they look like new.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline buck

Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 08:06:44 AM
The beauty of plastic scales is that they are so easily replacable. 

:pok:And they can hold a pen and a pin

Yes but the beauty of alox scales is the beauty of alox scales.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 09:09:51 AM
I keep saying it but nobody listens... if you do not like the faded alox look, get a silver one. Since the anodised layer is the same colour as the aluminium underneath they just look new, irrespective of any scratches.

I have a couple that see regular use and they look like new.

i agree,my silver farmer is pretty scratched but looks new,but i do like the look of a worn red alox  :drool:

Offline skidoosh

Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 10:08:53 AM
In the end I don't see Alox evolving. I do see companies like Spyderco developing multi-tool platforms centered around a single blade.

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #37 on: June 21, 2015, 05:11:56 PM

In the end I don't see Alox evolving. I do see companies like Spyderco developing multi-tool platforms centered around a single blade.

Yes, I saw the prototypes at Blade Show this year. The choice of tools was odd and frankly they felt odd in my hand.

I carry a Skeletool most days at work but occasionally carry a Syph Urban Pioneer. I love the look and feel of the Alox models but they are a little outdated to me.

If I have to work on an electronic device the bits on the Skeletool are really nice. I don't use the pliers often but they are nice to have. I wish Victorinox would just make a few changes to the Alox line. First, add an in line Philips since a bit driver is probably a non-starter. Next, add scissors. I carry a small alox Classic on my keychain but everyone seems to want scissors so it would probably sell. Also, offer upgraded blade steel as an option. Finally, why not add titanium handles as an option for collectors.

Sent from Tracy Island

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #38 on: June 21, 2015, 05:20:21 PM
I would buy one if they had a Phillips head. A flat blade & phillips head screw driver are my 2 main tools.

The can opener end is a 2D philips which works quite well actually, but I assume you are talking about a legit philips. I agree about inline philips needing to be on alox. No flathead on this one though. :whistle:

Is this your knife?  How is the reamer fitted when folded?  Does lip fall on top of the in-line Phillips?
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #39 on: June 21, 2015, 06:26:22 PM
I would buy one if they had a Phillips head. A flat blade & phillips head screw driver are my 2 main tools.

The can opener end is a 2D philips which works quite well actually, but I assume you are talking about a legit philips. I agree about inline philips needing to be on alox. No flathead on this one though. :whistle:

Is this your knife?  How is the reamer fitted when folded?  Does lip fall on top of the in-line Phillips?

yes it's my knife. The reamer is on opposite sides of the knife of the inline Philips so I'm not sure what you are asking.
I'm the milk man!

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #40 on: June 21, 2015, 06:43:09 PM

yes it's my knife. The reamer is on opposite sides of the knife of the inline Philips so I'm not sure what you are asking.

Oh, ok.  I can see it now.  It looked like the reamer was between the philips and the pliers.
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #41 on: June 21, 2015, 06:54:35 PM

Oh, ok.  I can see it now.  It looked like the reamer was between the philips and the pliers.

Ah ok. No it's on the opposite handle.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: June 22, 2015, 05:48:30 AM
I'm just not too crazy about OHO knives. It's nice if it fits into the design but is not necessary. My favorite knives require a nail nick.

I agree about it fitting into the knife design or not being necessary.  But I do like OHO knives, though none of my EDC rotation are OHO; they all have nail nicks.  Almost all my 3"- 4" folders are OHO with locks, but I don't like them for pocket carry.  What's in my pocket really needs to be multi-function (ie, scissors, or bottle opener, or screwdriver, etc.).

I wish my Buck Prince and Buck Duke had thumb studs; I'd probably carry these more.  I wish SAKs had an Alox Cadet or Pioneer with a thumb stud...I'd have it in my rotation.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

cs Offline MWDP

• No Life Club
  • Alox Addicted
Reply #43 on: June 22, 2015, 02:08:18 PM
Alox is a scam.  Purple farmers cost 10 cents more to make than silver ones but sell for 5 times the price.

I hope they never make alox on a 111mm frame

You are not paying for the extra color, you are paying for the limited availability.

And 5 times the price is an understatement :)
My custom SAK scale thread: http://bit.ly/1bBIzzD

Always on the lookout for smooth alox 84mm advertising Victorinox models - Bantam, Cadet, Cadet II, Voyageur! Message me if you have something

00 Online kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 01:59:16 AM
Just putting this thought forward:

Does Alox actually need to evolve?

No one demands a OHO Peanut from Case,or a super tacti-cool black oxide Buck 110. The M1961 is what it is. Maybe it should join the Ceolocanth and the Harley Davidson in saying its evolved far enough,and it's stopping here!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 02:54:55 AM
Just putting this thought forward:

Does Alox actually need to evolve?

No one demands a OHO Peanut from Case,or a super tacti-cool black oxide Buck 110. The M1961 is what it is. Maybe it should join the Ceolocanth and the Harley Davidson in saying its evolved far enough,and it's stopping here!

Lets me just quote my own post.  :D

If it isn't broke don't fix it and I think this applies to alox SAK's. Not everything needs to evolve. Alox knives are great how they are and will be just as great in 100 years from now.

I'm the milk man!

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 08:59:11 PM
You youngsters never heard of the Buck custom shop? You can get some pretty fancy modern style  110 knives.

You also have the paperstone models...
And customised Harleys are available...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline Jake1421

Reply #47 on: June 30, 2015, 06:04:27 AM
I love alox, but it might be time to let the line go.  There are plenty alox knives out there, and they will be easy to come by for many many years.  I carry an old pioneer, and probably always will, but with new materials and advancements, there might be better (and more practical) options.  I'm a sucker for nostalgia though, and no other knife fits better in an old tackle box or tool box then a 93mm Alox.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #48 on: June 30, 2015, 06:39:38 AM
I love alox, but it might be time to let the line go.  There are plenty alox knives out there, and they will be easy to come by for many many years.  I carry an old pioneer, and probably always will, but with new materials and advancements, there might be better (and more practical) options.  I'm a sucker for nostalgia though, and no other knife fits better in an old tackle box or tool box then a 93mm Alox.

Yeah, but regardless of supply, the prices will go up as "flippers" buy them up to sell to ALOX newbies on ebay and will result in even the most common silver ALOX becoming unaffordable to many. Heaven forbid...

Luckily, the introduction of more colors and 93 mm's with scissors will boost regular sales even higher and ensure continuation of the line..

IMHO of course.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #49 on: June 30, 2015, 03:42:33 PM
    I just wish they had T&T  :-\ plus red colour more available and affordable  :-\

+1. I like Alox, but can't do without the T&T (and pen & pin)

Here's what they should do:

[list=0]
    • Open a custom shop to put together the right tool sets.
    • Keep data on what is most often requested
    • Mass-Produce the most often requested models
    • Add T&T&P&P to Alox handles.
    • Stop gouging for Alox colors. Just because they CAN do it, doesn't mean they should. But I think it's the aftermarket that is gouging via supply & demand, right? Victorinox could reduce that quite a bit.
    • As a custom shop option, make the knives modular with screws, and thread lock, like some custom makers do now.
    They don't really NEED to do anything, as they're doing quite well as-is, but being more innovative would make them loads more successful. They're family-owned, so they're not trying to cash in on every little opportunity. As long as the family is wealthy, that's enough for them, right?
    -Jeremy
    "Well begun is half done."
    -Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
    Reply #50 on: June 30, 2015, 11:14:38 PM
      I just wish they had T&T  :-\ plus red colour more available and affordable  :-\

[list=0]
      • Stop gouging for Alox colors. Just because they CAN do it, doesn't mean they should. But I think it's the aftermarket that is gouging via supply & demand, right? Victorinox could reduce that quite a bit.
      • As a custom shop option, make the knives modular with screws, and thread lock, like some custom makers do now.
      They don't really NEED to do anything, as they're doing quite well as-is, but being more innovative would make them loads more successful. They're family-owned, so they're not trying to cash in on every little opportunity. As long as the family is wealthy, that's enough for them, right?

Smaug, you had me on board until the last paragraph.  So yes, I agree with you, but not the last paragraph.

Remember, even though it's a family business, it's a big, global business...where money talks and they are looking for people like you thinking those warm, family type of thoughts.  It's not enough for them or any other big, global, family business (no civics/good-for-the-world lessons here...it's called capitalism)...just think of the Waltons (ie, wally world).

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

00 Online kirk13

• Admin Team
      • Zombie Apprentice
      Reply #51 on: June 30, 2015, 11:28:31 PM

[list=0]

Smaug, you had me on board until the last paragraph.  So yes, I agree with you, but not the last paragraph.

Remember, even though it's a family business, it's a big, global business...where money talks and they are looking for people like you thinking those warm, family type of thoughts.  It's not enough for them or any other big, global, family business (no civics/good-for-the-world lessons here...it's called capitalism)...just think of the Waltons (ie, wally world).

Oh my go....

You mean Walmart was founded by John-Boy?!
        There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
        • Absolutely No Life Club
        • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
        Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 12:47:42 PM

I disagree.  As with any classic slipjoint knife the reason they make it so long is the fact that the design is practical.  An Alox knife is just as easy to carry as any Stockman, Jack, or barlow knife on the market and since they are in production right now, they can be had for very little cash.  I will gladly pay $30 well into the future for a two layer Alox knife, the same as I will gladly pay $50 for a Case Medium Stockman until the day I die.  Retiring the line is the worst thing for it. 

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
        Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 04:07:30 PM
        What they really need to do is bring back the Cadet II  :whistle:
        I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline mikekoz

Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 12:06:59 PM
           I am thinking about getting a Hercules, and I would love to have one with Alox. Actually, I would love to get it on my Swiss Work Champ XL!!  >:D. I currently do not own one with Alox, but am thinking about getting a Farmer. I still prefer the larger multi's though!

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
        Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 07:38:55 PM
        Hercules is a great vic mt!
        I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Offline Jake1421

Reply #56 on: July 04, 2015, 12:43:34 AM
        I have a Hercules, its brand new never used but I don't have the box for it.  I would consider trading it for an interesting Alox knife.

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
        Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 12:51:35 AM
        What they really need to do is bring back the Cadet II  :whistle:

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
        Donate with PayPal!
        April Goal: $300.00
        Due Date: Apr 30
        Total Receipts: $152.99
        PayPal Fees: $8.68
        Net Balance: $144.31
        Below Goal: $155.69
        Site Currency: USD
        48%