Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Smartphone/device External Battery (charger)

N_N_R · 17 · 1586

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Smartphone/device External Battery (charger)
on: June 21, 2015, 10:17:19 AM
So, guys & gals,

I've been pondering upon buying something like this http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/best-portable-battery-chargers/

But I'm not sure about some things.

Do you use anything like this? What do you know about these in general? How do you charge the very external battery/energy storage unit? Can you charge them from a regular electrical socket (found on your wall, for example) or are they charged only through USB cables i.e. from a PC?

Then, for how long do these devices charge a smartphone i.e. if it's too fast it may damage the battery, right?  :think:

I imagine something like this: you plug it in the socket on the wall, the unit charges for an hour or more. When it's fully charged, you carry it with you and if needed, plug your phone in that unit to charge the phone. I haven't gone to stores or seen such live, though, so I have no idea what I'm talking about, lol.

Anyway, does anyone have any of these? Impressions? Thoughts?

Any input's appreciated  :tu:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Smartphone/device External Battery (charger)
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 10:45:25 AM
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 10:56:53 AM
Oh, thanks.

[rant]people should use to the point titles for their topics[/rant] :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 04:34:01 PM
I have  2 solar powerbanks, that take a month to recharge from the sun buy can be recharged in a day from the mains

I also have a 2600mAh powerbank and a pure solar charger, 1A.

The solar powebanks tend to seriously exaggerate their capacity.

They all work and do not push more current than needed. I have a bit  information in my battery charger thread on the powerbanks.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 04:55:06 PM
I have an Anker 10000 mAh and Ravpower 10400 mAh that run ~ $20. Both work very well, IMO. I also have a couple of the Anker 3200 mAh lipstick sized since they are even easier to EDC. I think everyone who owns a smarthphone, tablet, mp3 player, etc. should own at least one of some kind. They are invaluable for travel or for when you realized you forgot to charge your smartphone and need to charge it on the go.

All that I am familiar with require a USB cable connected to a power source to recharge the backup batteries themselves.

My understanding is that some of the more expensive backup batteries for their cost per mAh do recharge the device a bit faster, but I'd rather not pay for that :)

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:19:17 PM
Thanks, guys.

My phone's in the nasty habit of starting to heat up for NO reason, that is when NOT in use and the battery starts depleting rapidly, like 10% down in 10 minutes, for example. It's been doing it randomly since I bought it.

When I see it does that, I reboot it and then it stops. There's no other way in which I can stop the phone from doing this. It's as if I have to shut it down to cut off some.. processes/sthff that's going on in it and depleting the battery.

So, since the day I've bought it, I've been carrying an old, generic, stupid, always off cell phone as a back up in case the battery of my smartphone dies and I need connection. I've always been carrying its charger, too, though I'd probably not find wher to charge it outside, but still.

So that's why I think such external power bank will be very useful.

As for the solar ones, I did take a look at them, but now that you say they charge for a month in the sun........ no thanks :D

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 05:34:16 PM
I bought one a while ago, and it's been a useful thing to have.  I keep it in my bag, charged and ready to go.  I get about four full phone charges out of it. :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 05:45:11 PM
Ok, btw, so another important question: how do you charge the very powerbank? Does it depend on the type or all can be charged with a regular electric plug/do they come with one?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 05:54:02 PM
Mine uses my phone charger to power up.  To charge the phone I just plug the USB on the wire into the charger, plug into the phone, and done!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 06:02:22 PM
Ahaa, thanks, that's helpful! :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 06:08:09 PM
Yes, just standard miniusb. A faster  current e.g. 2A will be better-faster for larger capacity powerbanks, if they can utilise the larger current

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 06:15:33 PM
P.S. Just liked your latest post in case you haven't noticed :D :D :D :D :D :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 06:20:40 PM
I noticed......  :dd:

:D

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 06:30:45 PM
Thanks, guys.

My phone's in the nasty habit of starting to heat up for NO reason, that is when NOT in use and the battery starts depleting rapidly, like 10% down in 10 minutes, for example. It's been doing it randomly since I bought it.

When I see it does that, I reboot it and then it stops. There's no other way in which I can stop the phone from doing this. It's as if I have to shut it down to cut off some.. processes/sthff that's going on in it and depleting the battery.

So, since the day I've bought it, I've been carrying an old, generic, stupid, always off cell phone as a back up in case the battery of my smartphone dies and I need connection. I've always been carrying its charger, too, though I'd probably not find wher to charge it outside, but still.

So that's why I think such external power bank will be very useful.

As for the solar ones, I did take a look at them, but now that you say they charge for a month in the sun........ no thanks :D

It would definitely be useful.

To calculate how much external battery pack you need, keep in mind that most of those battery packs discharge less than their rated capacity because they are designed to keep you from running them down all the way and killing their lithium battery. For example, if your phone battery is 3000 mAh, then best to go with one at least with 15 to 20% more storage than that to make sure you can get a full charge (if that is your goal).

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 06:36:37 PM
Yes, just standard miniusb. A faster  current e.g. 2A will be better-faster for larger capacity powerbanks, if they can utilise the larger current

+1

You might check out one of the multiport wall chargers if you want to charge both your phone and the battery bank at once. For example, http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc%C2%AE-Charger-Folding-Technology-Samsung/dp/B00HQY35SM/.

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 06:40:02 PM
Thanks, well, I think mine was 2100 mah, I checked today and forgot :facepalm:

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 21, 2015, 06:44:12 PM
Heck. I don't remember what my phone battery capacity is :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%