Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I finally broke a leatherman

us Offline rescue4500

on: June 21, 2015, 08:48:11 PM
After two years of beating tools I finally broke a Leatherman..  Turns out a rebar ain't good for prying..
uploadfromtaptalk1434912444939.jpg
* uploadfromtaptalk1434912444939.jpg (Filesize: 219.18 KB)
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

gb Offline pingu

Re: I finally broke a leatherman
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 08:58:05 PM
... Turns out a rebar ain't good for prying..

You mean the small screwdriver  :pok: ?

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 01:28:14 PM
Oh that sucks.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 02:16:56 PM
im really glad it has a 25 year warranty
If you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all. -Unknown Author

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:24:44 PM
Bummer !

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 02:48:00 PM
What were you trying to pry open?
darren

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 04:59:52 PM
I was replacing a shower door for a customer of mine and after removing the screws from the walls had to pry it off the wall....... only to realize I had forgotten a screw.. which is why it broke

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 05:01:55 PM
I wonder how the SOG Powerlock file with screwdriver tip would have fared at that task. Or even one of the flat drivers for that matter...  :think:
SAW

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 05:02:18 PM
http://www.leatherman.com/support-warranty.html

This warranty does not cover abuse

:whistle: ;)

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:11:04 PM
It was not abuse..  It was learning what a tool can and can't do

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 11:48:46 PM
Yeah, that's really no fault of the tool.
darren

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 12:04:19 AM
Yeah, that's really no fault of the tool.

I agree  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 12:10:25 AM
No but Leatherman  stands behind there tools and will more than likely repair it and if not I'll use it in my garden

us Offline sawman

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 12:27:07 AM
How would they know he was prying with it anyway  ???
SAW

us Offline rescue4500

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 12:39:05 AM
Exactly my point

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 12:50:11 AM
They might not. However, when you look at the corners they cut to cheapen tools and increase profit margins, remember it's because they are trying to cover the costs of repair work from people who have broken tools through misuse rather than through a fault of the tool. I dread to think how much it costs the company every year to service/replace tools that they really shouldn't be liable for.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 12:54:24 AM
The original supertool would never break like that.  Profit margins and cost cutting equals poor steel and inadequate tempering

us Offline sawman

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 01:00:34 AM
I don't think it should all be considered abuse. A flat screwdriver should reasonably be capable of some light prying without breakage. A knife however should not be used for prying and I imagine there are a lot of blades with broken tips send in for repair. Those, I would probably not honor the warranty for but the screwdriver I would..
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 01:18:00 AM
I don't think it should all be considered abuse. A flat screwdriver should reasonably be capable of some light prying without breakage. A knife however should not be used for prying and I imagine there are a lot of blades with broken tips send in for repair. Those, I would probably not honor the warranty for but the screwdriver I would..

Steve, it wasn't light prying. It was a small screwdriver vs a shower screen which was (albeit accidentally) still screwed to the wall. How on earth is it Leatherman's fault?

nz Offline claws42

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 01:26:56 AM
I wouldn't use the small screwdriver for prying personally.

If it was the large flathead, I think light prying is an accepted task. But just buy a Shard or Brewzer and leave the prying tasks to them, it'll save the worry  :salute:

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:51 AM
The original supertool would never break like that.  Profit margins and cost cutting equals poor steel and inadequate tempering

+100
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 02:30:07 AM
How would they know he was prying with it anyway  ???

There is probably evidence that the screwdriver snapped off to one side, as opposed to snapping while twisting?
darren

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 02:43:38 AM
I wouldn't use the small screwdriver for prying personally.

If it was the large flathead, I think light prying is an accepted task. But just buy a Shard or Brewzer and leave the prying tasks to them, it'll save the worry  :salute:

:tu:  I keep dedicated pry bars in my LM sheath for exactly these type situations.  I've seen one to many broken knife tips at the fleamarkets. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BASguy

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 03:31:56 AM
They might not. However, when you look at the corners they cut to cheapen tools and increase profit margins, remember it's because they are trying to cover the costs of repair work from people who have broken tools through misuse rather than through a fault of the tool. I dread to think how much it costs the company every year to service/replace tools that they really shouldn't be liable for.
So they are cutting corners because of illegitimate warranty claims?  Of course the logical result to that scenario is an escalation in warranty claims because they are cutting corners. 
I've pried a heck of a lot tougher things than that with my OG Wave and it never broke.  Leatherman isn't building them like they used to.  It is all about profit, but it isn't about illegitimate warranty claims. 

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

us Offline AdmSlc

• adm.slc@icloud.com
Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 03:49:50 AM
I remember my first. I have broken many of them. Leatherman will stand behind it no matter what.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 23, 2015, 11:14:54 AM
So they are cutting corners because of illegitimate warranty claims?  Of course the logical result to that scenario is an escalation in warranty claims because they are cutting corners. 
I've pried a heck of a lot tougher things than that with my OG Wave and it never broke.  Leatherman isn't building them like they used to.  It is all about profit, but it isn't about illegitimate warranty claims. 

Sent from 9 miles from the face of the sun

My feelings are that when Leatherman started up and made the tools whose quality folks wish they'd go back to, they had no historic liabilities. All they had to make a profit on was what they were making at the time. Fast forward to today, and they have to make a profit on what they are now making, but also carry the liabilities for the warranty of everything they'd made in the last 25 years.

If these warranty claims were all legitimate manufacturing defects, there probably wouldn't be much of an issue. However, we know there are people sending in tools which have been abused, we know there are people who buy broken tools off the bay and send them in, there are people who send in tools which have done several years solid work and worn out through heavy use, and expect it to last 25 years even if used day in, day out. I dare say on that last point, there will be people who have effectively had 3 or 4 tools for the price of one. All these costs have to be covered now, on top of current production, marketting, and all the other costs, and that money has to come from somewhere.

Originally their gross margins would have been close to their nett margin, but in order to achieve a nett margin today, they need a healthier gross margin. Add to that the fact that people are paying comparatively less for their multitools today, and would refuse to pay the original prices plus inflation, Leatherman have no option but to cut back on everything if they want to stop in business. If people want to lay blame for the quality and durabilities today, they should look in a mirror, as it is the consumer that has brought these conditions about.

Just my honest opinions  :salute:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: June 23, 2015, 02:08:50 PM
  ^  I think you make a pretty good point !

us Offline sawman

Reply #27 on: June 23, 2015, 04:24:15 PM
You make a good point about them having to service anything from the last 25 years. We'd probably be floored to realize the size of their actual warranty department and not just in the U.S., but departments representing around the world.

That considered, LM has shown signs of a healthy company by producing new products - not always a good product but sometimes something extraordinary like the Raptor or Rebar. The quality and function of the Signal remains to be seen  :popcorn:

I wonder if LM made their parts available for sale like SOG does if that wouldn't shift some of the weight off of the warranty dept. Break a plier head, send in $15, wait for the mail man and you're back in business :tu: It's not like everybody and their uncle isn't already modding LM's anyway. Why not make their fasteners and parts available?
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 23, 2015, 04:33:29 PM
To be honest Steve, if I was going to run a multitool company, that's EXACTLY how I'd do it. I'd make them modular and offer a limited warranty on individual components. If a driver I supplied was returned because it failed in service, a few simple checks would tell if it was liable to be a defect, abuse, or wear and tear. If it was my fault, I'd replace the part (not tool), but otherwise I'd sell them spares AND upgrades. Give the customer the choice of basic tools at an entry level price for occasional users, and options for higher quality components at higher prices for "pro users"

us Offline sawman

Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 04:39:46 PM
To be honest Steve, if I was going to run a multitool company, that's EXACTLY how I'd do it. I'd make them modular and offer a limited warranty on individual components. If a driver I supplied was returned because it failed in service, a few simple checks would tell if it was liable to be a defect, abuse, or wear and tear. If it was my fault, I'd replace the part (not tool), but otherwise I'd sell them spares AND upgrades. Give the customer the choice of basic tools at an entry level price for occasional users, and options for higher quality components at higher prices for "pro users"
In the case of SOG maybe even some more expensive forged pliers could be sold for the Powerlock. I'd pay $75 for one :salute:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD