Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

LM PST – An MTo story – And pictorial chronology (.... please review)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Not long after I first joined this wonderful forum there was a burning question in my mind.

What on earth is a PST??  ???

People seemed to talk about it a lot – and there were even comments like: “Everyone has a PST”
– Well I was pretty sure I did not - I guessed it was a multitool of some sort, and probably well-known
– And, as in many walks of life, referred to by those in the know just by model number – not by brand or manufacturer (think cars too).

Eventually I found out what it was.....
– I did know the Tim Leatherman story – But never knew he named his creation the Personal Survival Tool.  8)

Anyway, of course I had to get one – Everyone has a PST right ??  :think:

I got a very nice ‘93’ – Had hellish problems teaching the seller how to ship internationally – But eventually I received it - and I was lucky - it was in very, very good condition and complete with leather sheath.
And I love it!
– Why?? It is so light and compact; the tool quantity, selection and density has still got to be the best there is!!
I now carry one in my man bag.
I also love it for historical reasons – it was the first!  8)

And that was my plan – PST purchasing activity - Done! Completed! ….  :tu:

But as we know this place is dangerous  >:D – It makes you buy things you do not intend to.

Someone posted a link to that ebay seller who is selling BO PSTs - and yep another one was on its way to me.  :facepalm:
And then people (thank you Grant, Lyn amongst others) kept going on about the PST II – and how great it was – So Boom … Another package heading across the Pacific (actually this one came via the Atlantic!!).
Again I was very lucky - A 97 in pretty much unused condition.

So, as someone interested in the evolution of these things, I was brought to the PST chronology thread here on MTo to see where my tools fitted in.
Great information of course,   :) but I found it a little hard to assimilate, and the data was screaming out to me – “Put me in a table/picture!!”   :pok:
So I did and this is the result .

I would love it if the PST gurus (J-sews and co.) could have a look at this – And check it out for me - I am no PST expert – I just put the info in a table – Heck I do not even know what some of it means (eg milled, staked, off centre pivot out/in!!)  ???
Although I do believe I have enhanced the information from my limited knowledge and looking at my PSTs!! :D
Maybe the eagle eyed can spot this!!
And I did do a quick check against Chako's wonderful 'Let's Look At PSTs' thread:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,52286.msg891465.html#msg891465

All feedback/corections on content and look/presentation etc etc gratefully received.

Then what would be really great would be to put the updated and corrected table into the first post of the PST Chronology thread – So that others can take advantage of the picture.

Note – After I had completed the table – I read further down the thread and noticed that Woofer had the same idea as me – Bummer!!  :o
– However I could not download his Word or Excel attachments – so maybe my work was not in vain after all.  :tu:
LM PST Chronology(V0.1).JPG
* LM PST Chronology(V0.1).JPG (Filesize: 88.16 KB)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 05:06:31 AM by Huntsman »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
I don't have anything to add, but thanks for sharing this.

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Huntsman,

thank you again for your work and effort in these tools to help others.  they are great.
You know I also like having tools to help, such as my 91mm spreadsheet,  It sure helped me a great deal, and others liked it too I hope.

I wish I had enough web knowledge to make an online database where people could put checkmarks where applicable, and get info back such as model name, Approximate age, or anything that would help others.  I remember being brand new,  and feeling so ignorant of the MTs and SAKs.
this is not a knock against SAKwiki,  but I know when I was new, SAKwiki confused me, and had Enki not jumped in with a few answers, I would have given up.  once I understood to look for variants at the bottom, and other such simple tricks,  it was a wealth of knowledge, that I used abundantly.  I just like the filtered approach I have with spreadsheets.  I like the ability to weed out huge sections because I selected "Hook" or "Remer without Eye"

these types of "solvers" are how I like to operate, and wish I could do more to automate the process and make it universally accessible.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline genevabuck

• No Life Club
Any info on the history of the BO PST's?  I have a couple without date codes.

ru Offline wowaboro

I make own table of PST's modifications, incl. BO and CC (57 USA made and 17 JPST + few questionable), but I still think that now too early for publication  ;) 

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
I have a 11/98 PST and a 12/98 PST II....along with my 10/95 Supertool and my SAK's they are my favorite multitools!  Like you, I love the way they carry and have everything I could possibly want.  My PST II is on my belt as I type this.  Glad you are sharing the joy of the original in Australia!   :multi:
Barry

us Offline David

Congratulations on your PST and new found fondness for it.   :tu:  Huntsman I hope you find many more pieces for your collection. There are a lot of variations out there. Happy hunting. For those of you who came in late DaveK post 407. There is a linlk to Daves spread sheet in the post.     :)   
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Hi Folks

Thanks for your feedback and comments....

Lynn - Great to hear from you - You are doubly guilty of my creating my PST activity >:D - I am pretty sure you were the author of the 'Everyone has a PST' comment, and also your praise of the PST II influenced me!!   ::)
Detron - Yes a nice app/macro with a database behind, where you just enter the values, and it gives you the tool/variation would be great!!
Genevaback - Sorry don't know - But at least we know it's pre '93 - eh?
Wowbaro - Are you saying you have identified 57 USA and 17 JPST variations? Or you have that many in your collection? - Either statistic is scary - And ... Ouch!!   I knew this project was too big for me  ??? - Looking forward to your publication
(PS. So you do PSTs as well as Juices! :) )
Barry/David - Yep I love my PSTs - Although I don't intend to get anymore - ... Although maybe I do 'need' a Japan one ....  :o And thanks for link to DaveK database - Good info

Well as mentioned above, and as I progressed with this task, and dug into various threads - I realised that this project is pretty big - There have been sooo.. many variations.

Soooo....

I have made some good updates to the table (although no new columns or rows)
- then in the bottom right I have listed some of the other changes that happened to the PST.
See new pic below....

As a future task, it would be good to trawl the chronology post, and others, and get everything into the table
- Or if anyone confirms dates and changes with me I will put them in.

But for now I am done..  :D

So unless anyone has any objections - I will ask a mod to include the table in the first post of the PST Chronology thread!
As I believe my table (at least) represents that info pretty well !!
LM PST Chronology(V0.2).JPG
* LM PST Chronology(V0.2).JPG (Filesize: 106.33 KB)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:03:01 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Yep I love my PSTs - Although I don't intend to get anymore - ... Although maybe I do 'need' a Japan one ....

PM me your postal address and we can rectify that gap in your collection  :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ru Offline wowaboro

Wowaboro - Are you saying you have identified 57 USA and 17 JPST variations? Or you have that many in your collection? - Either statistic is scary - And ... Ouch!!   I knew this project was too big for me  ??? - Looking forward to your publication
(PS. So you do PSTs as well as Juices! :) )

Yes, now I identified PST only (not PST II)
57 USA variations:
   - 15 Drop Point Blade (7 - I have in collection)
   - 13 Clip Point (Saber) Blade (10 - I have in collection)
   - 29 Short Clip Point Blade (16 - I have in collection);

17 JPST Drop Point Blade variations (9 - I have in collection)

Total: 74 PST's variations (42 - I have in collection).
+ few questionable and non standard variations.

Maybe I will publish my table and collection when I caught at least 55-60 PST's and my theory will be confirmed by practice ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:07:36 PM by wowaboro »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Slightly updated version  ;)  :tu:
LM PST Chronology(V0.3).JPG
* LM PST Chronology(V0.3).JPG (Filesize: 107.88 KB)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Hi Team

Updated version of this visual on the PST Chronology

The baseline for this information is from the first post in the PST Chronology Thread, (which itself was updated with info from up to post 91 in that thread!!).
I have enhanced Jsews' data with information from other sources around the forum.

This version has mainly cosmetic changes from the previous version.
However I have also added some comments about the Flair and Sideclip, and also some other recently emerged info - eg the 'TM' being reversed to 'MT' on a couple of models. (Which BTW I find completely fascinating - It must have been a mistake eh?)

Also attached is the png and pdf versions - If these suit you better than the Photobucket link.
Let me know (PM your email addr) if anyone wants the excel source file.

Hope this is useful !
LM PST Chronology V4.JPG
* LM PST Chronology V4.JPG (Filesize: 112.62 KB)
* LM PST Chronology V4.pdf (Filesize: 481.27 KB)

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Wow - Thanks Zoidy - I am very honoured - and I hope it's useful  :salute:  :D  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
There is some good stuff in there Huntsman :salute:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Re: LM PST
Reply #15 on: June 07, 2017, 03:34:00 AM
Well I need to celebrate this little milestone here  :D  :o

Zoidy posted the table in this thread in the main LM PST Chronology thread last year.

I came back to check something in this thread sometime later and noticed that the download count on the chronology table was massive.
To cut a long story short, I found out (thanks Zoidy) that: -
As a link to the piccie in this thread was created in the PST Chronology thread - All the 'downloads'/clicks from that thread get recorded against the original post and piccie in this thread.

Check out the 'download' count in post 11 above    ??? - Absolutely amazing

I guess a 'download' just means a click and/or expand as opposed to a full download
- Either way it looks like our table is really useful to the masses.    :tu:
And I can't believe how many people across the globe are accessing the Chronology thread and have an interest in the PST.
And these must all be new people
- As our regular members and posters will have checked this out and downloaded the doc, if they wanted to, when we first made this thread!

Right .... I must really stop obsessing about this now :twak:
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:37:58 AM by Huntsman »

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Think just viewing the thread counts as a download.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Ah Zoidy - What a blow  :(

I had assumed they had to click on the piccie or to really download it to add to the count!!
But I just did a quick test on another older stable thread and you are right !!!

Ah well - Still nice to see it there - And hopefully it is useful !!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: LM PST
Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 04:06:26 AM
Sorry mate. It's still very useful to have and most appreciated I'm sure.   :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Still means that this thread has gotten a lot of views and that means many have came back to check the info out :tu: So that is a definite win in my book :like: Great info Huntsman :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
19 posts, well 20 now ;) and the view count for this thread alone is way more than normal :cheers: around 2245 views means to me that people are checking the table out for sure :salute:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Hello again LM PST Peeps,

I have made a few very minor updates to this table.
If I remember correctly: Just a couple of the first availablity dates revised, and a list of standard tools added to the bottom.

I will update the chronology thread (where this image also appears) - if I can remember/work out how - Zoidy did it last time :tu:

As a reminder: This is a very high-level tool/markings change chronology based on the PST chronology thread - Others have a way more detailed breakdown    :tu:
LM PST Chronology V6.JPG
* LM PST Chronology V6.JPG (Filesize: 120.27 KB)
LM PST Chronology V6-II.jpg
* LM PST Chronology V6-II.jpg (Filesize: 236.91 KB)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 05:53:29 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
On mobile and it is a bit harder to see all of it at once :salute: looks great on the small screen but will peruse it when I can get to a bigger screen :tu: :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Thank you very very much for keeping it updated Sir  :salute:

Are they both the same v6?
They have different file sizes but I cannot spot a difference in the content yet  :dunno:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Sorry - Same content
One is a jpeg the other a png

The resolution in this version did not seem to be as good as the previous one - So I am trying to get it better
I guess the png - as it is bigger - should better - Can you see any difference?    :think:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 07:15:55 PM by Huntsman »

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
The PNG has a little more details/quality  :salute:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Looks good on a larger screen :salute: Great resource for sure and plenty detailed for me to get a good idea when any of my pre-datecode PSTs are made :woohoo: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
I added the Chart as an attachment with a note by the other Chart that the new one below is updated :salute:

You can change it later if you wish ;) but I figured it needed to at least be there so peeps can see it now :cheers: We can always edit it later :tu:

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Ah - OK Ponch - I had already replaced the images in the OP of the Chronology thread with the new version 6!!

....... I worked out how to do it.

I might edit your comment to avoid confusion!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
 :oops: Guess I really wasn't paying attention :facepalm:

I was thinking it was still the old one ::) :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99